Erotica was originally titled "Girlie Show"

19 minutes ago, mysweetaudrina9 said:

why did she wrote betty boo?

Maybe Betty Boo was considered to do a guest feature on that song? Or maybe Madonna was going to give her the track? I know she was a fan of Betty Boo and wanted to sign her to Maverick. They also met in 1994.

https://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2011/08/16/betty-boo-recalls-her-first-encounter-with-madonna/

36 minutes ago, Anapausis said:

@MaDöner Kebab your feedback about it would be gladly appreciated here, schöner of my Hertz.

Definitely real. It leaked along with concept drawings and notes for the Girlie Show and the Virgin Tour.

From what we know, the album was initially titled Girlie Show (inspired by the painting of the same name). I guess that was before she settled with Erotica as title track.

girlie-show-edward-hopper-1941.jpg

51 minutes ago, MaDöner Kebab said:

Definitely real. It leaked along with concept drawings and notes for the Girlie Show and the Virgin Tour.

From what we know, the album was initially titled Girlie Show (inspired by the painting of the same name). I guess that was before she settled with Erotica as title track.

So THAT'S the famous Girlie Show! :)

And I assume that Madonna took inspiration from this when she shot the Fever video. The hair and the cape... 

1 hour ago, MaDöner Kebab said:

First time to see this painting… her face looks scary… 💀💀💀

1 hour ago, MaDöner Kebab said:

Thank you for this back story! 

10 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Maybe Betty Boo was considered to do a guest feature on that song? Or maybe Madonna was going to give her the track? I know she was a fan of Betty Boo and wanted to sign her to Maverick. They also met in 1994.

https://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2011/08/16/betty-boo-recalls-her-first-encounter-with-madonna/

Betty sadly declined to sign with Maverick as her mother got sick and she left the industry to care for her. She couldn't commit to another album. 

7 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Do you have a higher quality version of it?

And is there any way to tell the date of this?

I do have the original photo he sent me without watermarks etc - reach out to Kamram https://www.instagram.com/madonnaswardrobe/ and check out his other stuff - he was also the one to post The Girlie Show original set list, Virgin Tour setlist notes etc 

Makes sense since Madonna was trying to find an alter ego to explain her fantasies, some her own some maybe not. Or pose as an actress for a private show of an album. Wonder if it would have fared better in the US with that title. Truth is a record named Erotica along with a SEX book hit harder in the eyes of a conservative audience. Same as American Life being named Hollywood originally. She opted for the braver choice twice.

11 hours ago, MaDöner Kebab said:

IMG_3442.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

Makes sense since Madonna was trying to find an alter ego to explain her fantasies, some her own some maybe not. Or pose as an actress for a private show of an album. Wonder if it would have fared better in the US with that title. Truth is a record named Erotica along with a SEX book hit harder in the eyes of a conservative audience. Same as American Life being named Hollywood originally. She opted for the braver choice twice.

Yeah, thinking Erotica could have been called Girlie Show seems too strange for me. It just doesn't seem to fit!  It worked well for the tour name though.  But I agree, she was looking to play an alter ego.  I think it's fascinating how a lot of her songs, albums and videos tend to be inspired by artwork.  She has a knack in bringing that to life in her songs and videos, etc.  :luv: