Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere

Bat-Fan

I will fight right back.

For me, this Tour was massively lacking in terms of production. It looked like a damn rehearsal with a setlist that was thrown together last minute and the song mixes sound like cheap karaoke tracks.

I hate everything about this tour and I'm not sorry when I say it's her worst tour of all time.

But there were clearcut obvious parallels with points in her career. The setlist wasnt "thrown" each section mirrored different stages in her artistic journey as for theatrics...

What is your favorite M tour?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there were clearcut obvious parallels with points in her career. The setlist wasnt "thrown" each section mirrored different stages in her artistic journey as for theatrics...

What is your favorite M tour?

The "sections" made no sense, the fashion was hideous and the tour renditions didn't match the mood or the theme of the sections they were placed in.

She chose way too many 80's songs and most of them from one album only, her worst 80's album, LAV.

She once again ignored the 90's and decided to do a lame disco version of Deeper and Deeper as part of the fucking ROCKABILLY section.

She decided to throw in an unnecessary cover song when she has a beautiful catalogue of songs to choose from.

The tour backdrops and especially the interlude were by far the least impressive ones she has ever done.

The closing song was Holiday which is so washed up and I entertaining by now...if she really wanted to spice things up and make career references, she should have replaced La Vie en Merde with Take a Bow and close the show with Everybody (with a medley of other 80's songs incorporated) instead of wasting the medley for that horrible Latin rendition of Dress You Up.

The tour just didn't seem well thought-out and there is evidence that a lot of things were changed for the final setlist. She even scrapped an entire interlude video for Sex and only left three frames from the video in it.

It was a mess overall. Too many things she has already done, sing renditions we have heard before and barely any good song surprises (except for that surprise slot).

Too many things she has already done, sing renditions we have heard before and barely any good song surprises (except for that surprise slot).

This sentence does sum up the show for me as well, unfortunately. We are talking about a performer who was famous for "never doing the same thing" and "if you want to hear original versions, play the CD" and then she does mostly hits that were done on tours of 2004-2012 in their familiar versions. She already ignored the post-1990 stuff on the previous tour and does it again. She does the "Joan of Arc-inspired" theme for the 3rd tour in a row, Spanish-themed segment for the millionth time, cabaret-themed segment for the hundreth time again. It's just Madonna-by-the-numbers which is not something she used to be before the 2010s. The surprise song was the continuation of the request section of S&ST just this time it was not acapella but actual arrangements as well, yet most of the surprise songs were also retreads of past tours. If it wasn't for Take A Bow, a song never performed on tour before, I would not even mention that part at all.

That said, I still can't call the show a mess, it was well-put together, she seemed to be more into it than MDNAT and despite of my complains about same songs and arrangements, the setlist flows better (except Living For Love & La Isla Bonita, WTF?!). For MDNAT they had one good idea about the divorce in the first segment, the rest was bare bones stuff without any concept or meaning. The costumes are also a massive improvement, MDNAT was touted as her biggest show ever and yet those costumes looked incredbly cheap.

I don't hate the Rebel Heart Tour but I guess she is at the phase of her career where she only has to cater to the people who want more of the same and ride the nostalgia wave since she cannot grab the attention of new fans anymore.

It's definately not her worst tour for me, even if not the most original I must say.

I think she is recalling her past in the last shows, even if MDNA was much less fun than RHT, the only part I really enjoyed, except Gang Bang, was the third section.

She fills the venues mainly with her grown fond fans at this point, so I think these last shows were conceived as a sort of celebration experience.

The only real problem is the complete lack of care for the musical side, she should really come back to work hard on new renditions, and I'm not necesserely meaning reinventions, of her old songs. In the Girlie Show she didn't reinvented Erotica as she did in the Confessions Tour, and yet what an orchestration... and what an orchestration Why's it so hard, La isla Bonita or Express Yourself had. I mean that's the part I would work harder if I don't have a real new concept or a strong dancing attitude anymore, wich is absolutely normal.

Said that, I LOVED REBEL HEART, it's her best since Confessions and among her best five for me, mature and spontaneous, so I'm DIEING TO WATCH THE BLUERAY AND I PRAY FOR A DECENT EDITING (wich unfortunately doesn't seem to happen, according to the odd, full of slow motions 15 sec snippet we had last month :suffer:).

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and personally I think it was one of her best tours ever done. It had the songs, it had the costumes, it had the "mood", it had HER as a real performer/human being. Every show of hers has its own merits, let's not be so judgamental because all of them are FUNtastic and edgy! Yes, there were things I didn't like about RH as there were elements I totally hated in the Confessions Tour (Sorry twice, really?) and Sticky & Sweet Tour (too much electric guitar and AWFUL costumes).

The only real problem is the complete lack of care for the musical side

i'm totally with you on this side. we as fans have also made the mistake of only taking care of the stage, the choreographies and the costumes, when the first thing we should focus on is her current band.

i'm not saying they're bad, but as we discussed before, Kevin Antunes's obsession of replicating the album versions is killing the live vibe of her concerts. he says he's respecting the producers original intention, but man! The Girlie Show had versions that resembled the album ones and still they sounded with such power!

some versions were a surprise on this tour (more notably Material Girl and the fan-loved Like A Virgin), but over all, in this show she wasn't trying to surprise anyone anymore. 

(now, some personal messages:

-Brian Frasier-Moore, please add more live drumming to the tour, instead of sampling everything.

-Monte, we've been loving you since 2001. please don't play a solo that looks like "hey, i'm the best guitarrist here", and syncopate with the rest of the band.

-Nicki Richards and Kiley Dean, please, don't just stand there, and if you have ideas to be part of the choreography, say them!

-Dear Kevin Antunes: s t o p the samplin from the original recordings. we need a live show.)

that's why the Rebel Heart performance was the most honest moment of the entire concert: every instrument was real and live only on that song.

Jamie King did some amazing things with her up to Confessions Tour but RHT is the new Sticky & Sweet for me. It's just very rehashed, even more so.

Don't know why that Hold Tight performance got teased right before the tour started if it got scrapped, it looked pretty great. Certainly better than a lot of stuff that did make it to the final show. Makes you wonder what really happened during production, as many of us have noticed how "unfinished" it feels and it's not the work ethic we are used to from her. It's a mystery.

Still a good show tho and its still her, and really I can't wait until it's released. I just wish the sections had been fresher, a section inspired by Ghosttown and another by BIM would've made it 20 times better in my view. Some fans would've given her crap if the tour had been fresher, just like when Bitch I'm Madonna came out. But I prefer that over rehashing old ideas. I could've done without the matador stuff also, its the one theme that we saw a lot of during the era, yet Ghosttown got excluded completely...

he says he's respecting the producers original intention, but man! The Girlie Show had versions that resembled the album ones and still they sounded with such power!

he said that? A lot of the performances, it was like she was performing with the CD playing in the background.  :thinker: maybe it was another thing due to "time constraints".

he said that? A lot of the performances, it was like she was performing with the CD playing in the background. :thinker: maybe it was another thing due to "time constraints".

The band played live, but most of the keyboard and sunny sounds were sampled from the original recordings.

Im sitting here reading these complaints about each tour and I'm confused. Like ive watched each full recording i can find a trillion times and i don't see or understand any of the complaints. When i saw the RHT live it was one of the best nights of my life i still remember it like it was last weekend. It felt like a giant party with Madonnas life as the theme.

The first part is all about her rise and fall in the public eye

Rockabilly is her stint with Sean and Guy.

Latin is her coming out of that on top.

Flapper theme is a throwback (thus the 20s theme) to before she was famous and she was in france and her instructors wanted her to be the next... EDITH PIAF.

Everything about this tour was clear cut and personal and these costumes were ages better than the tragedy that was Sticky and Sweet.

Sure, Iconic is her rise and fall, theres some stuff about relationships all throughout, theres an Edith Piaf homage, but I don't see it that deep. it's a good show though. :thinker:

On gagadaily i did an in depth analysis of why each track makes sense in the theme type thread. Iconic represents when they love her, BIM represents her starting to get edgy, Burning up is her living for the drama/fans love, Holy Water represents the Like A Prayer/Erotica/American Life/Hard Candy "downfall". Devil Pray is her standing in the mess she made and deciding that she must push forward. Like i can go on

The only true part that felt like a Madonna concert was the Iconic opening/video because that's Madonna's norm in tour. Some of the renditions were indeed recycled or felt like they were just fan edits of the original versions. The backdrops were the most disappointing given how they are often times better than her official ones. SEX was just a Erotica montage with three new shots from a scrapped video she shot, Ghosttown was used for Messiah and while it worked, it felt like she didn't devote much time to the visuals this time around although the dancers made up for it.

The last section had so much potential to truly re-imagine some songs but instead we got an album version of Music, Candy Shop (slight alteration), Material Girl (slowed down) La Vie En Rose (I actually liked it) and with Unapologetic Bitch which felt out of place and the ever boring Holiday (this version was beyond flat.)

I have to give credit for her dusting off a lot of forgotten classics, singles and album cuts we thought we'd never see and of course, the debut of Take a Bow on tour. However, it does seem either a lot of ideas were scrapped, meshed or completely not fully thought out this time around compared to other tours were each section is distinct.I mean we went from Joan of Arc to religious nun in the first section alone.

The last section had so much potential to truly re-imagine some songs but instead we got an album version of Music

I hadn't seen a single thing about the show before going to see it myself, so everything was a surprise to me.

when the last section started, Music surprised me and the friend that went with me (they aren't a fan). i was so dissapointed when the album version started again... but i am still in love with this Material Girl version. the drums make everything better (love the hip-hop influences), and the arrangements on the middle section are so cool!

Oh god, you guys are hard to please. I think this tour is one of her best tour ever.. I rather see her with the attitude she showed up on this tour than like she was on MDNA or S&S.. MDNA was like she came on stage.. she did the show..and then she's gone.. She didn't even care of taking a few moments to interact with her fans besides the speech.

I think the opening was really exciting with a great song choice for it, the only song I don't enjoy in this tour is Living For Love, I didn't like that remix used for the song. 

I really loved the rendition of True Blue, I wasn't sure about Holiday as a closing song 'til I saw the show live for the first time and I loved it! It was a sing-along party, the visuals were recycled from the RIT but I don't mind at all- Like a Virgin was a highlight and it's a song we had heard so many times but it's still ICONIC. 

We had the last three tours with the same structure and the same arrangement with a new-found foreign band. She changed things up for this tour and I really love what she did.

I'm hoping that we get the DVD soon.. It's been just almost 5 months since the recording.

Oh god, you guys are hard to please. I think this tour is one of her best tour ever.. I rather see her with the attitude she showed up on this tour than like she was on MDNA or S&S.. MDNA was like she came on stage.. she did the show..and then she's gone.. She didn't even care of taking a few moments to interact with her fans besides the speech.

I think the opening was really exciting with a great song choice for it, the only song I don't enjoy in this tour is Living For Love, I didn't like that remix used for the song.

I really loved the rendition of True Blue, I wasn't sure about Holiday as a closing song 'til I saw the show live for the first time and I loved it! It was a sing-along party, the visuals were recycled from the RIT but I don't mind at all- Like a Virgin was a highlight and it's a song we had heard so many times but it's still ICONIC.

We had the last three tours with the same structure and the same arrangement with a new-found foreign band. She changed things up for this tour and I really love what she did.

I'm hoping that we get the DVD soon.. It's been just almost 5 months since the recording.

THANK YOU!!! Im legitimately the easiest person to please. Like she could have gone on stage and done a completely acoustic version of all of rebel heart and for the encore bitch im madonna bluegrass edition and i would have been ECSTATIC.

THANK YOU!!! Im legitimately the easiest person to please. Like she could have gone on stage and done a completely acoustic version of all of rebel heart and for the encore bitch im madonna bluegrass edition and i would have been ECSTATIC.

This. Sure there's parts of the show I don't like as much of a song I don't care for but for the night of the show I can fake it.

All I care about is seeing Madonna. She can serve me that messy ass Tears of A Clown as a tour and I'll still go as many times as I can.

• madgefan changed the title to Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere
  • madgefan pinned, pinned, pinned and pinned this topic
  • madgefan pinned this topic