Madonna re-releases NEEDED?

Holger

61 members voted

1. 1. What kind of releases would you like to have?

• CD-only deluxe editions (single CD, original album + bonus tracks)
    • CD-only deluxe editions (double CD, original album + bonus tracks & remixes)
    • CD-only deluxe editions (boxed sets, 2+ CDs w/ original album + bonus tracks, remixes & DVDs w/ videos and live performances)
    • Digital-only deluxe edition (original album + bonus tracks & remixes)
    • CD & digital deluxe editions (identical track listings)
    • Digital singles (w/ all versions of the song, incl. unreleased instrumentals, backing tracks, etc.)

Guest LaraCroft

I don't mind the likes of an anniversary release that includes a bonus disc or two of unreleased material or maybe even just demo / unreleased albums being release. If it was just re-releases with nothing added or just remixes I'd more than likely avoid. I'm sick to death of remixes just being added onto the end of stuff, especially when it's usually crappy remixes we've heard for months before the release and fans are continuing to make better, more interesting, remixes.

I think it'd be great if they'd put all her maxi-singles up on Itunes, Tidal, 7Digital in wav or flac.Madonna remixes used to be events.Bring them back, I say!

I would only buy a physical re-release if:

1. There were less than 10,000 printed worldwide and though not required, I would prefer it also be numbered directly on the packaging.

2. It was explicitly stated that it was "limited edition"

The following are not required but would also help get me to buy it:

1. Something unique about this edition (colored vinyl, new liner notes, etc)

Since I've heard all the songs on re-issues and have purchased several editions and copies through the years, I would most likely just stream the release and not even buy it if it were a digital only release.

Her whole back catalogue needs to be re-issued and with unheard demos that are in the vaults ? We will never get them though sadly - she does doesnt know how to market this kind of thing and i doubt she even cares anyway - if she spent less time on social media she could put some effort in to giving her fans what they want - blu-rays of ct, ba and rit wouldnt go amiss either ?

Her whole back catalogue needs to be re-issued and with unheard demos that are in the vaults ? We will never get them though sadly - she does doesnt know how to market this kind of thing and i doubt she even cares anyway - if she spent less time on social media she could put some effort in to giving her fans what they want - blu-rays of ct, ba and rit wouldnt go amiss either ?

But it's not like her new music is selling in droves so doubtful anyone involved would want to invest money in re-issues now.

It wouldn't be a big investment at all actually.

Björk is selling 1/10 of Madonna and her record company invest her back catalog more than possible. Not perfectly but this is another question... 

Kylie's old record companies are doing it a good way but interact too much with her releases (that doesn't sell too...)

It doesn't cost a lot to work on it. But Madonna's team never ever care about their back catalog. Greatest hits cd's & dvd were shitty (especially GHV2 and Celebration... Not a big care of the release... Just an end of contract thing for Celebration. Worst greatest hit ever...).

Only one time for the remaster of the 3 firsts album. It was a very good job but ended there...

In a way I like they don't focus on the past but only future cos when she'll die, hope we'll be very old, we'll have ALL of these releases we wish. BUT it's sad not to enjoy them properly. And it's nearly impossible to enjoy it the good way now as someone of her closest team gave or sell a huge part of her unreleased catalog who leaked these 8 last years around.

What do we want... I'm not sure to know.

On one hand I'm so glad I listen to Each time you break my heart, Shame or You're the one whom I know it would never been re-released in the next decade. On the other the way it happens: sold to rich fans, kind of mafia-like system is not a good thing at all. Her career is partly broken by that. Let's admit it... 

For the 2 lasts album, 1st single leaked months before the supposed to be official release. Rebel heart was drowned with leaks 4 months before the album was out. It's a disaster. If the only leaks were old material it would be much better. But not future releases and not even pictures were she's ugly as everybody would in huge shooting when you're not pretty every minute of it...

So re-issues... re-releases... I'd be so glad but is there a place for that now after all this shit?

The Like a Prayer album needs to be remastered as soon as possible. How is it possible that we're still listening to it with the quality standards conceived back in 1989  :mama009: . Also, I don't see it necessary to re-release albums if they're not going to include something "new" aka remixes, alternate takes, and even unreleased songs. It's not like they're going to chart again because that's almost impossible and who needs it anyway! Just be careful when preserving Madonna's work for future generations and do it with love Warner!!

Yes please!

I'd totally want a PROPER deluxe re-release, kind of like the ones each and every band from the 80's and 90's are releasing as it's the only way to sell actual records ;-) (well not the ones signed to warner's afcourse)

My ideal boxset would differ for each album depending on the availlable extra material, but they would include the following:

disc one - A proper audiophile remaster of the original album (proper meaning not just louder and no clippings please)

disc two - collection of b-sides, non album singles , alternative versions and remixes, focussing more on rare radio edit's, and promo only mixes.

disc three - demo's of both album tracks and unreleased stuff, multiple versions are welcome ;-)

disc four - DVD including all the related music videos in high quality

Next to the original artwork replica for disc 1, I would love an expanded booklet including alternate pictures, covers etc. (jeri heiden I'm looking at you!) interview with either M or her collaborators (kind of in the vein of pet shop boys re-releases discussing the album and outtakes)

Now, this might seem like a wet dream, an "if only" scenario! but! but! but! EVERYONE is doing this, the cure, duran duran, pet shop boys, bruce springsteen etc etc, they have all released similar deluxe editions of their records, with multiple discs in luxurious boxes. So it's kind of baffling that one of the most collected artists is ignored in this trend of catering an existing fanbase. I mean if duran duran fans around the world are spending money on a boxset for each and every album they have released it's kind of hard to believe M would have a problem selling them! But, again, the key is in the content, is it's anything like the horrible remasters we already have, then no.

Why do we need them though?? Those type of things destroy the original work of art. Why would we need Erotica demos?? A new track on Like A Virgin?? Who cares.

^

well, because it gives insight into the creation of a well known work of art. It's the making off in a way. Not unlike seeing the film sheets of a photographer's famous picture, seeing the one they chose over others gives a lot of insight into the creative process.

It's an addition to the original piece, not a replacement

I dont understand this new fashion about vinyl ?? Whats next ? will cassette tapes come back in fashion too - its just a fad ??? CD s will always be no.1 for me and i used to buy vinyl from the late 80s so im not a young fan who never appreciated vinyl in the first place - i used to love the limited releases more, pic disc, 12" with posters etc but i never really bought them for the sound quality - i still hate that vinyl hiss sound you get but thats just my opinion ok ?

getting back to the topic yes a box set would be amazing and just incorporate all the unreleased stuff and maybe do a proper master of the demo's we have already - each time, love makes the world go round, shame etc but to me this is kind of wasted talk as we know it wont happen

lastly everyone is talking Warners here ? Is she not with Live Nation ? When an artist leaves a record company who owns the rights to the back catalogue then ?

Warner still owns the rights of the 1982-2009 era. I'm surprised the only thing they did since Madonna left was these 2 awful boxes of studio albums in cardsleeves. So so so cheap. It was out the same day as MDNA album.

They seem to absolutely not care about Madonna's back catalog and so is Madonna's team.

Japan did very beautiful re-release of 1983-1990's albums in vinyl replica. Maybe the best re-release ever made for her but the contents is absolutely useless. I'm supposed to receive mine these days. But Japan is another story!

Regarding the not so new fashion of vinyl, I'm totally in. CD is out now with mp3 (...) and cd has never been a beautiful thing. It was great for the loud sound but who cares now. I'm glad vinyls are back in town a lot for few years now. Sound of a good hot vinyl is much better than a cd one but this is mostly working for vintage music. As a fan of Kate Bush most of her cd's are shitty. Awfull masters and so are not the original vinyls. For today's music I like the huge cover, it's 10 times more beautiful. It's so cool to put it on the record table. There's a real fetish thing about it. I'm ok for a future like this: no more cd's > only LP with download cards for .flac

Oh and yeah my BS lp was bought few years ago... 

TBH the thing every Madonna fan wants is BS on vinyl again. I would also like a BS and Music limited edition (hessian and storybook) reissued tbh.

You'd prefer to get a re-issue of BS on vinyl? It's hard for me to understand that... What's the big point with it... I was glad to add Something to remember LP to my collection when the re-released it but I wasn't expecting and hoping that before. There are million things I'd wish they re-released but in a different way. Like things we'd talked up there.

But why do you care so much about BS on vinyl with nothing new on it...?

For me one of the best thing they did was Broken for lasts Icon members 5 year ago. It was the prof they can release officially an unreleased track, even a leaked one (a 100% new would have been better in a way but let's forget the mafia leak for once).

This is the best I can expect for. Waking up some unreleased material. 

To be honest I DO BELIEVE that this is what every big fan of M expect for. Not re-released of casual LP for godsake (when I see the re-release of Erotica on LP AND the re-release of BS on cardpaper cover for the CD shitty box I'm affraid of what to expect! Did they lost the design files of the BS and Erotica sleeve to print it again?)

Also it's great there was something of M for the Record store day but is it so great to have a re-release of a not rare 12"? Ok it's pink but the content is not very enthusiastic for me. Better than nothing, glad it happen but why not doing the best they can?

Re-release a Ardiendo 12" could have been more interesting maybe. But it can still be better... An unreleased remix of and oldie. I don't ask anything better. Even unreleased singles... A pack of CD + a pack of 12" of singles of the 2 last albums would have been a good idea. We miss them in a way! They got everything, every rights bla bla bla... Why have we got a LAV release?...

YES! I cannot believe that her singles and most importantly a lot of the single versions are unavaible digitally. Like, how and why does Janet have all her single uploaded to iTunes and Madonna hasn't? I demand special editions of all her studio albums with revamped booklets including some of the beautiful promo pics shot for her albums and bonus material, like demos, outtakes and tracks like Gambler or Crazy for You on LAV.Gesendet von iP

Vinyl, vinyl, and more vinyl. CD releases are so boring. I'd like to see Madonna do what Bjork did and rerelease all albums as special coloured vinyl releases... but with plenty of bun material too.

Uhhh no thanks. I'd rather have my Madonna collection without all those pops and with good sound quality.I get that vinyls are nostalgia and the covers are larger and prettier but CDs were invented for a reason and they offer way more possibilities than vinyls do.Her 80's singles and most of the versions from back then are still unavailable, digitally or on CD.