John "Jellybean" Benitez Appreciation!!

Voguerista

2 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Thank you so much for this thread... i had plans to make one similar one of these days... People don't seem to realise how much the guy is responsible for the Madonna sound of the 80's... He has basically produced or remixed her best 80's tracks from 1983 to 1986. He is a real sweet and nice guy in real life. He has never ever bad mouthed Madonna or wrote a book and tried to get money... Yet last year on Graham Norton when they showed her a picture of him she asked them to take off the pic and called him "Just a shitty ex boyfriend". I was in a shock. From a woman who always tell us to act with respect and who praise peace among human beings i found her behaviour so disrespectful... and calling him "Just a shitty ex boyfriend" when he was the person who produced all the hits of the beginning of her career was so reductive. This is the first time her behaviour really hurted me...

Thanks for your kind words. I’m shocked she’d say that about him too. 

1 minute ago, Voguerista said:

Thanks for your kind words. I’m shocked she’d say that about him too. 

I mean the guy even owns unreleased Madonna tracks (like "Work your finger to the bone) and he never tried to make money with it like some other have done (pre-Madonna for example). I once had the opportunity to talk with him and he is such a nice guy... 

We don't know what happened behind the scenes between them in their romantic relationship but according to some biographies he was very controlling and demanding, he wanted Madonna to settle down with him and have babies and of course that wasn't going to happen with her career taking off.

Madonna has been very open about her life in the last two-three years, so maybe the "shitty boyfriend" comment was about all that?

He's never badmouthed her but he's also never say no to any chance to talk about her and promote himself in countless interviews and Madonna specials. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but we also know she doesn't exactly appreciate that.

He was obviously instrumental in Madonna's early success, but not "The Guy" or "The Maker". I used to think that too before - it was Madonna's boyfriend at the time, so of course she wanted to help him and give him credit - but Reggie Lucas, the main producer of the debut album , talked about it in 2013:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/07/the-vicious-competition-for-credit-over-launching-madonnas-career/277974/

I’ve refrained over the years in addressing aspects of Madonna’s career because I’m not a person who likes negative discussions. But what I will say is that in Madonna’s ascent to fame and fortune, there’s been a pretty vicious competition for credit in being involved. In other words, someone will say, “I launched Madonna.” If I talk to a lot of people today, I will say I was Madonna’s first producer. I produced six of the eight tracks on her first record. I would say nine times out of 10, their response will be, “Oh yeah, I thought Jellybean did that.” But Jellybean didn't do that. Jellybean was a remixer, and we didn’t have time to remix records. It wasn’t something that I was interested in doing. Somewhere in this process of publicists and personal relationships, somehow he came out as the guy.

So this Madonna record was my first and worst introduction to the notion that you wouldn’t have a linear continuation with someone who you’ve had success with. It totally blindsided me. I understand it a little bit better now, but not really. Just for the record, one tires in a lifetime of hearing someone taking credit for something that you've done. Jellybean produced “Holiday” and he remixed a couple of tracks, but remixing tracks for radio isn’t the same thing as producing one of the major breakout pop stars of the 1980s. Now there’s Wikipedia and you'll always find these distortions in Wikipedia. My kids find this stuff and they fix it for me. [laughs] I don’t think there’s really ever been someone to clear this up. Madonna certainly hasn't helped at all. I think if it were left up to Madonna, she wouldn't talk about anybody.

The bottom line is that, I think, the kind way that Madonna has always tried to refer to me is that I was just an R&B producer. There are two things that I dislike about that. First thing is, that it treats being an R&B producer as pejorative, as if it were something less than being a pop or rock producer. Second thing is, that I didn’t make an R&B record for her. I made a crossover pop record of the highest order. So the notion that she similarly dismissed me because I was just an R&B producer is offensive on multiple levels to me.

It’s hurtful because I didn’t understand it. I did the same thing I always did. I came in and worked my ass off to support the artist and cast them in a good light. Everybody but her reciprocated by saying they liked the record, and let's make another one. Between her and Jellybean, they try to pretend the records I did weren’t any good. It’s almost like I was fired or something. I wasn't fired. I finished the record, I put it out, and they took it and put it out and sold a bunch of records. And everybody else ran around trying to take credit for it because it was so big that they couldn’t help themselves.

I have a lot of respect for Reggie Lucas, his work on Madonna's debut is truly timeless.

57 minutes ago, Prayer said:

We don't know what happened behind the scenes between them in their romantic relationship but according to some biographies he was very controlling and demanding, he wanted Madonna to settle down with him and have babies and of course that wasn't going to happen with her career taking off.

Madonna has been very open about her life in the last two-three years, so maybe the "shitty boyfriend" comment was about all that?

He's never badmouthed her but he's also never say no to any chance to talk about her and promote himself in countless interviews and Madonna specials. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but we also know she doesn't exactly appreciate that.

He was obviously instrumental in Madonna's early success, but not "The Guy" or "The Maker". I used to think that too before - it was Madonna's boyfriend at the time, so of course she wanted to help him and give him credit - but Reggie Lucas, the main producer of the debut album , talked about it in 2013:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/07/the-vicious-competition-for-credit-over-launching-madonnas-career/277974/

I’ve refrained over the years in addressing aspects of Madonna’s career because I’m not a person who likes negative discussions. But what I will say is that in Madonna’s ascent to fame and fortune, there’s been a pretty vicious competition for credit in being involved. In other words, someone will say, “I launched Madonna.” If I talk to a lot of people today, I will say I was Madonna’s first producer. I produced six of the eight tracks on her first record. I would say nine times out of 10, their response will be, “Oh yeah, I thought Jellybean did that.” But Jellybean didn't do that. Jellybean was a remixer, and we didn’t have time to remix records. It wasn’t something that I was interested in doing. Somewhere in this process of publicists and personal relationships, somehow he came out as the guy.

So this Madonna record was my first and worst introduction to the notion that you wouldn’t have a linear continuation with someone who you’ve had success with. It totally blindsided me. I understand it a little bit better now, but not really. Just for the record, one tires in a lifetime of hearing someone taking credit for something that you've done. Jellybean produced “Holiday” and he remixed a couple of tracks, but remixing tracks for radio isn’t the same thing as producing one of the major breakout pop stars of the 1980s. Now there’s Wikipedia and you'll always find these distortions in Wikipedia. My kids find this stuff and they fix it for me. [laughs] I don’t think there’s really ever been someone to clear this up. Madonna certainly hasn't helped at all. I think if it were left up to Madonna, she wouldn't talk about anybody.

The bottom line is that, I think, the kind way that Madonna has always tried to refer to me is that I was just an R&B producer. There are two things that I dislike about that. First thing is, that it treats being an R&B producer as pejorative, as if it were something less than being a pop or rock producer. Second thing is, that I didn’t make an R&B record for her. I made a crossover pop record of the highest order. So the notion that she similarly dismissed me because I was just an R&B producer is offensive on multiple levels to me.

It’s hurtful because I didn’t understand it. I did the same thing I always did. I came in and worked my ass off to support the artist and cast them in a good light. Everybody but her reciprocated by saying they liked the record, and let's make another one. Between her and Jellybean, they try to pretend the records I did weren’t any good. It’s almost like I was fired or something. I wasn't fired. I finished the record, I put it out, and they took it and put it out and sold a bunch of records. And everybody else ran around trying to take credit for it because it was so big that they couldn’t help themselves.

I have a lot of respect for Reggie Lucas, his work on Madonna's debut is truly timeless.

The fact their love affair didn't last because he wanted to have babies or whatsoever is none of our business and in any case a justification to be that disrepectful toward someone especially on tv in front of millions of people and when the person you are insulting is not there and have no possobility to defend himself. Furthermore she should be able to differentiate personnal and proffesionnal. This is a big no no in every way possible, especially for an adult. Second about the first album, thankfully Jellybean Benitez was around because it's well known history that Madonna wasn't happy with Lucas results and asked Jellybean to remix everything to give her the "fresh and funky" sound she wanted.

26 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

The fact their love affair didn't last because he wanted to have babies or whatsoever is none of our business and in any case a justification to be that disrepectful toward someone especially on tv in front of millions of people and when the person you are insulting is not there and have no possobility to defend himself. Furthermore she should be able to differentiate personnal and proffesionnal. This is a big no no in every way possible, especially for an adult. Second about the first album, thankfully Jellybean Benitez was around because it's well known history that Madonna wasn't happy with Lucas results and asked Jellybean to remix everything to give her the "fresh and funky" sound she wanted.

Her personal life (including the reason why she chooses to remember him as his "shitty boyfriend") is none of our business, I agree with that - yet this forum is full of topics commenting about it.

Jellybean didn't remix "everything", in the credits of the first album he's credited as remixer for "Lucky Star", "Burning Up" and "Physical Attraction". Sure, he remixed the single version of "Borderline", too. As I said, it's obvious he was key in helping Madonna to achieve her debut album sound, but the producer in charge was Lucas, not him.

4 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Her personal life (including the reason why she chooses to remember him as his "shitty boyfriend") is none of our business, I agree with that - yet this forum is full of topics commenting about it.

Jellybean didn't remix "everything", in the credits of the first album he's credited as remixer for "Lucky Star", "Burning Up" and "Physical Attraction". Sure, he remixed the single version of "Borderline", too. As I said, it's obvious he was key in helping Madonna to achieve her debut album sound, but the producer in charge was Lucas, not him.

Yet on the forums there are people who cannot see a difference between commenting a musig genre on a private forum and insulting a person on public televison...

As for Jellybean not only he produced Holiday, which is just the track that launched M's career but he' also behind iconic tracks such Lucky star, Bordeline, Material girl, Crazy for you, Gambler, the whole You Can Dance album... how can anyone resume hil as someone who has juste a minor impact on her career or worse, just "a shitty ex boyfriend". 

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

Without a doubt.

He was a B-list producer / musician for hire, who did his job more than decently. Jellybean also had talent and a plan: wife, kids. What they did is history.

So the hungriest, the one with a vision won it all.

6 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Yet on the forums there are people who cannot see a difference between commenting a musig genre on a private forum and insulting a person on public televison...

As for Jellybean not only he produced Holiday, which is just the track that launched M's career but he' also behind iconic tracks such Lucky star, Bordeline, Material girl, Crazy for you, Gambler, the whole You Can Dance album... how can anyone resume hil as someone who has juste a minor impact on her career or worse, just "a shitty ex boyfriend". 

Don't worry babe, she ain't fooling nobody.

She’s been making comments like that about her exes and friends since the early 90’s. I was not shocked by what she said, at all.

He’s great, and gave us the greatest Madonna song of all time: Sidewalk Talk.

But it wasn’t just 1 person that put Madonna on the map, it was an entire village.

11 minutes ago, deathproof said:

She’s been making comments like that about her exes and friends since the early 90’s. I was not shocked by what she said, at all.

He’s great, and gave us the greatest Madonna song of all time: Sidewalk Talk.

But it wasn’t just 1 person that put Madonna on the map, it was an entire village.

The thing in that situation is that he's not just a boyfriend, i will even go as far as saying the fact he was her boyfriend is a detail for people. She was not talking about just an ex boyfriend, she was talking about a producer who had a huge impact on her glory days in the 80's. Can you imagine, just for a second, that you are John Benitez, and Madonna comes on tv, millions of people watching the show, they show a picture of you and all she has to say is "oh no, he's just a shitty ex boyfriend". Can imagine the lack of respect, or consideration it can feels for him or anyone who knows who he is ? Cause most of people (the grand public, non Madonna fans) don't have a clue who he is, so when they had a chance to know he is the guy who produced iconic tracks like Holiday or Material girl, tracks they've been singing and dancing to for almost 40 years, she just insult him and do not even take one second to say he is the producers of her early worldide hits. Reallt there are excuses for that attitude. I love Madonna more than anyone can imagine, but that time she fucked up big time for me.

1 minute ago, TonyMontana said:

The thing in that situation is that he's not just a boyfriend, i will even go as far as saying the fact he was her boyfriend is a detail for people. She was not talking about just an ex boyfriend, she was talking about a producer who had a huge impact on her glory days in the 80's. Can you imagine, just for a second, that you are John Benitez, and Madonna comes on tv, millions of people watching the show, they show a picture of you and all she has to say is "oh no, he's just a shitty ex boyfriend". Can imagine the lack of respect, or consideration it can feels for him or anyone who knows who he is ? Cause most of people (the grand public, non Madonna fans) don't have a clue who he is, so when they had a chance to know he is the guy who produced iconic tracks like Holiday or Material girl, tracks they've been singing and dancing to foe almost 40 years, she just insult him and do not even take one second to say he is the producers of her early worldide hit. Reallt there are excuses for that attitude. I love Madonna more than anyone can imagine, but that time she fucked up big time for me.

I think you are taking the comment too personally. This is a woman who dragged her brother and his sobriety in the mud in a documentary. That was 30 years ago.

We only know so little about M and Jellybeans relationship as a couple. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jellybean knew what M meant with the “shitty” comment. Madonna probably told him back in 1985 that he was a “shitty boyfriend.”

5 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I think you are taking the comment too personally. This is a woman who dragged her brother and his sobriety in the mud in a documentary. That was 30 years ago.

We only know so little about M and Jellybeans relationship as a couple. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jellybean knew what M meant with the “shitty” comment. Madonna probably told him back in 1985 that he was a “shitty boyfriend.”

1985, Truth or dare 1990... Don't you expect to be a little bit more respectful when you reach the age of 61 in 2019, and you have been preaching respect towards each others, peace and fighted against bullying for more than 20 years ? 

7 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

1985, Truth or dare 1990... Don't you expect to be a little bit more respectful when you reach the age of 61 in 2019, and you have been preaching respect towards each others, peace and fighted against bullying for more than 20 years ? 

I don’t see what this has to do with bullying at all. She made a comment about an ex, just like comments she’s made in the past about other exes and friends. I just don’t see why anyone should be surprised by this ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Enrico said:

I think probably it's her who is a shitty ex girlfriend!

He should have his revenge and leak this:

Jellybean.jpg

(Although this song is under Warner contract, and this is why it's still unreleased, the preMadonna songs weren't @TonyMontana)

Or at least the original Gambler and Crazy for you demos!

I dream to hear that track ! Can you imagine another 80's Madonnatrack produced by Jellybean... the world is not ready :drama:

Guest DeeperDeeper
8 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

Thank you so much for this thread... i had plans to make one similar one of these days... People don't seem to realise how much the guy is responsible for the Madonna sound of the 80's... He has basically produced or remixed her best 80's tracks from 1983 to 1986. He is a real sweet and nice guy in real life. He has never ever bad mouthed Madonna or wrote a book and tried to get money... Yet last year on Graham Norton when they showed her a picture of him she asked them to take off the pic and called him "Just a shitty ex boyfriend". I was in a shock. From a woman who always tell us to act with respect and who praise peace among human beings i found her behaviour so disrespectful... and calling him "Just a shitty ex boyfriend" when he was the person who produced all the hits of the beginning of her career was so reductive. This is the first time her behaviour really hurted me...

Why are you shocked? It's Madonna's personality through and through. 

Also her appearance on the Graham Norton Show was woeful. 

Just remember there are a lot of saints who were nasty pieces of work. 

f6afb5d61eb4fae4525bc27150f21708.jpg

Edited by DeeperDeeper (see edit history)

I love Jellybean's influence on the Madonna sound of her early days, but I do think his role is sometimes overrated. He produced three tracks for her and remixed a bunch of others from her first two albums. Holiday is a gem and it's production is gorgeous. Though great songs the production of Crazy for You and Gambler is nothing spectacular for the times. The success of CFY has probably more to do with the composition of the song and Madonna being so huge at the time. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy his work but to say he gave us Material Girl and Borderline etc. is a bit exaggerated when his remixes were really about making the original more of the time and approprate for the dancefloor.

As for the shitty boyfriend remark, wasn't it obvious this was a joke? Obviously not a very good one, but aren't we used to Madonna throwing shady off the cuff jokes when she is uncomfortable, and let's be honest on that couch she was very uncomfortable

Guest DeeperDeeper
9 minutes ago, Pretender1978 said:

As for the shitty boyfriend remark, wasn't it obvious this was a joke? Obviously not a very good one, but aren't we used to Madonna throwing shady off the cuff jokes when she is uncomfortable, and let's be honest on that couch she was very uncomfortable

I thought she was being honest, there's probably more to her story with Benitez we don't know about. 

That's why I wish she'd write her autobiography and give us her story on her terms. 

On 8/19/2020 at 8:41 PM, TonyMontana said:

Then when he’s gone she will post his pic saying RIP my friend. ?