Single Reissues Campaign - This Used to Be My Playground - OUT NOW

New_Boy

1 minute ago, beastwivvin said:

This.

The original mix (4'48) is the superior version. It retains the sense of urgency that is described in the lyrics.  The replaced version seems rushed and in a hurry to be over. The production of the original puts her voice front and centre as well but builds to complement the hedonistic rush of the chorus. 

I'm thinking some of you are forgetting that Burning Up has been something she worked on for a few years before her debut album. Just check out Stephen Bray's "Pre-Madonna" album. It was more punk rock in the beginning.  Madonna was obviously not impressed with the versions that ended up on the original release. There are alternate version from the early 80's of "Burning Up".  They all are pretty raw and obviously not suitable for her first album.  The more rock version that ended up on the album as well as the re-issue of "First Album" is pretty great.  But I'm quite favorable to all the versions.  But I do know what is heard on "Pre-Madonna" isn't suitable for the first album.

7 hours ago, beastwivvin said:

The original mix (4'48) is the superior version.

A small correction.The original mix (if we forget about the hundreds of demos) is this: 

This was the first version (and the first Madonna song) that I knew, and for me, it will always be the superior version. Anyway, I love any version of Burning Up.

16 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

That's fake. The real track on "It's that girl" is the album version. 

Anyway, thank you very much for your information.

This "version" of It's that girl includes other fake, fan-made versions, as the edited versions of the extended dance remix of Like a virgin and Material girl...

34 minutes ago, Roy said:

I prefer the alternate mix of Burning Up. It has more sass and drama to it. :)

The original version can choke.

Nobody loves the original Burning Up mix like I do... I feel so alone...  It was my first contact with HER when I was only 11 years old.

32169289107e647bd93d386fd9560e25_w200.gi

Now, speaking seriously: it's a shame that people have forgotten that the original mix was released to be played in clubs, long before The First Album was even considered. It was obviously later remixed (twice) to fit with the rest of the album.

KG1zgsx.jpeg

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Nobody loves the original Burning Up mix like I do... I feel so alone...  It was my first contact with HER when I was only 11 years old.

32169289107e647bd93d386fd9560e25_w200.gi

Now, speaking seriously: it's a shame that people have forgotten that the original mix was released to be played in clubs, long before The First Album was even considered. It was obviously later remixed (twice) to fit with the rest of the album.

KG1zgsx.jpeg

What made them decide to remix BU for the 2nd time after the first alteration?

35 minutes ago, Roy said:

What made them decide to remix BU for the 2nd time after the first alteration?

I am not an expert on the history of 'Burning Up,' but as far as I know, they remixed the song so that the music video version would fix better with the sound that was popular on MTV at the time, and that version ended up being the final album version. But like I said, I'm not an expert. I'm sure there is someone who can tell you the story better

9 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

I am not an expert on the history of 'Burning Up,' but as far as I know, they remixed the song so that the music video version would fix better with the sound that was popular on MTV at the time, and that version ended up being the final album version. But like I said, I'm not an expert. I'm sure there is someone who can tell you the story better

I feel like there are 100 mysteries about the first album release, and we’ve slowly been solving them within the past 5 yrs (a lot of thanks to webo1958 Instagram), but this one always confuses me.

i think @Blue Jeankinda figured it out?

39 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I feel like there are 100 mysteries about the first album release, and we’ve slowly been solving them within the past 5 yrs (a lot of thanks to webo1958 Instagram), but this one always confuses me.

i think @Blue Jeankinda figured it out?

I’m not sure if this is adding anything that wasn’t already said but this is all I know/remember. Feel free for anyone to correct/add if you know anything:

Burning Up (Original studio version) - this was originally released on the US 12” single in March 1983.

Burning Up (Jellybean remix) - this was then remixed by Jellybean for the album release in July 1983 and appears on the first vinyl/cassette pressings of the album. 

Burning Up (Video remix) - It was included on the CD version of the album and eventually became the album version on all later versions. Also the video version. While the video premiered on mtv in October it originally aired in clubs from July when the album first came out. This means that both remixes must have come out at the same time.

What @Aiwa08 said makes sense, that they remixed it for the video. I am guessing Jellybean also did the video remix as it bares some resemblance to his version ? I don’t know why they did 2 new versions when they could have just stuck with the video one. At a guess perhaps Madonna preferred the album version as she used that in live performances but had to agree to the video version to try and get played on mtv.

12 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

And the transitions w/the album only continued. Replaced the original album edit of Everybody w/the original 12” version on the 01 remaster. Now we have remixes of Borderline and Holiday. An album perpetually in flux!

Her oldest album and it's not still finished yet lol

I'm not an expert on this matter, much less american and no memories of that period, but they would use the video version as LP version on reissues album to match what people saw on tv what people buy on the store. Just to make sense with the promo to sum up. On that days, Mtv was highly powerful, when it became very famous, as youtube today, remember.

33 minutes ago, subversive said:

I'm not an expert on this matter, much less american and no memories of that period, but they would use the video version as LP version on reissues album to match what people saw on tv what people buy on the store. Just to make sense with the promo to sum up. On that days, Mtv was highly powerful, when it became very famous, as youtube today, remember.

Unfortunately, the time the song and video came out, U.S. MTV rarely played the video if at all.  It was only when she became more popular in 85 and onward had I seen the Burning Up video especially when they played back to back/marathons of artists videos. 

Also, I always thought the Jellybean/original album version wasn't completed at the time of the making of the video, so they went with the alternate one. 

I like all the versions, but the video/alternate and demo versions are great.

The video version is the superior version of the song anyway, so she was completely right about making that decision. It still works... 41 years later.

The original 12'' version comes second.

I don't even consider the Jellybean remix/Original album version, it's a mess. It sucks the life out of the song with a million unnecessary layers and silly effects. I even prefer the Bray "Pre-Madonna" demo, so bold:

A great song right from the start, honestly.

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

The video version is the superior version of the song anyway, so she was completely right about making that decision. It still works... 41 years later.

The original 12'' version comes second.

I don't even consider the Jellybean remix/Original album version, it's a mess. It sucks the life out of the song with a million unnecessary layers and silly effects.

I like it but I agree, the video version is superior. 

What id like to know is was the video version released at the same time as the album version. Considering it’s on the original CD album I’m thinking it must have been….

The video version of Burning Up is my least favorite of all the other versions, @Aiwa08! You’re definitely not alone. ❤️

I like the original LP version because it’s like a mix of the 12" version and the video version but I think the 12" version has the most drive and sass to it. It’s more energetic.

20 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

I see... I mean, when you synced the music video with the alternate mix, it looks well.

My favourite mix of Burning Up is the 12" Version, second would be the final album/video version.

I don't think the album version on the first pressings does it any favours. They made the right decision in the end.

As far as the first album changing, Everybody being its full length version is great, the 4:55 fade was unnecessary. 

16 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I like it but I agree, the video version is superior. 

What id like to know is was the video version released at the same time as the album version. Considering it’s on the original CD album I’m thinking it must have been….

Was the album released on CD upon its original release? CDs were still new to the market, so not every album was necessarily released on CD at the time. Madonna being a new, unproven artist, I could see Warner Bros opting not to spend money printing CDs because it was presumably expensive at first.

I think the video version of “Burning Up” is on all CD pressings because the first CD pressings came AFTER the second, third, etc pressings of the vinyl and cassettes. 

Or maybe they simple finalized the CD master after the vinyl and cassette masters…