Thoughts on Madame X (film)

robder

I can't believe I only just got around to seeing it!

It's a 6.5 out of 10 from me.
I liked it! It's a grower - got MUCH better as it went on. Huge disappointment at first.

I watched Bjork at the Albert Hall this week and the simplicity of it made me feel like I'd been to an intimate gig. It allowed me to focus on the subtleties of the performance. There's something about all the overlays/effects of Madame X that make me feel like I'm millions of miles away from the show. Constant prescribed camera angles take away any kind of agency in how you want to view things. I felt like one of those poor foie gras ducks.

Also - I normally get annoyed with her documentary segments but this needed it because there was SO much to talk about. No backstage footage??! So we never hear about her early curfews, injury problems and Covid shutdown. Massive missed opportunity imo.

Negatives:That pirate panto costume and the fact that she comes out autotuned (unforgivable - even if it is a stylistic choice).I found God Control completely unwatchable due to the edit (my eyes actually hurt) and Dark Ballet was just plain weird (not in a good way). Sometimes she appears to be lip syncing the autotune which made me feel ridiculously far away from the experience. The footage is often from a different night than the vocal you're actually hearing. Thankfully this improves after the opener.

Positives:Human nature was beautiful - I'd love to have seen it. The muted jazz trumpet works beautifully and the shadow puppets are ace. She manages to look gorgeous and the spoken word segments, whilst clumsily patchworked from loads of nights (losing intimacy), are quite funny. Batuka vocoder creates distance ruining the community feel of the song. Killers who are partying is my fave of the night - and of the film (and the album). The simplicity is great and I love the composition. Crazy vocals sound nice and it's nice to be reminded of the brilliance of Medellin (such at atmospheric number). The laboured breathing during the Rescue Me part takes on a new meaning with Covid (!). Come Alive looks incredible on the screen but the vocals are held back and anything but live. I love the version of future and the finale works well - I forgot how beautiful that Versace dress was!

She nailed it in places and I'm pleased the warmth of the Fado bit translated to the screen.

My two penneth!

25 minutes ago, robder said:

I can't believe I only just got around to seeing it!

It's a 6.5 out of 10 from me.
I liked it! It's a grower - got MUCH better as it went on. Huge disappointment at first.

I watched Bjork at the Albert Hall this week and the simplicity of it made me feel like I'd been to an intimate gig. It allowed me to focus on the subtleties of the performance. There's something about all the overlays/effects of Madame X that make me feel like I'm millions of miles away from the show. Constant prescribed camera angles take away any kind of agency in how you want to view things. I felt like one of those poor foie gras ducks.

Also - I normally get annoyed with her documentary segments but this needed it because there was SO much to talk about. No backstage footage??! So we never hear about her early curfews, injury problems and Covid shutdown. Massive missed opportunity imo.

Negatives:That pirate panto costume and the fact that she comes out autotuned (unforgivable - even if it is a stylistic choice).I found God Control completely unwatchable due to the edit (my eyes actually hurt) and Dark Ballet was just plain weird (not in a good way). Sometimes she appears to be lip syncing the autotune which made me feel ridiculously far away from the experience. The footage is often from a different night than the vocal you're actually hearing. Thankfully this improves after the opener.

Positives:Human nature was beautiful - I'd love to have seen it. The muted jazz trumpet works beautifully and the shadow puppets are ace. She manages to look gorgeous and the spoken word segments, whilst clumsily patchworked from loads of nights (losing intimacy), are quite funny. Batuka vocoder creates distance ruining the community feel of the song. Killers who are partying is my fave of the night - and of the film (and the album). The simplicity is great and I love the composition. Crazy vocals sound nice and it's nice to be reminded of the brilliance of Medellin (such at atmospheric number). The laboured breathing during the Rescue Me part takes on a new meaning with Covid (!). Come Alive looks incredible on the screen but the vocals are held back and anything but live. I love the version of future and the finale works well - I forgot how beautiful that Versace dress was!

She nailed it in places and I'm pleased the warmth of the Fado bit translated to the screen.

My two penneth!

pirate panto LOL .. i dont feel like we watched the same show but you are entitled to your opinion ...the laboured breathing takes on a new meaning with covid ? ..erm ..

2 hours ago, Artur1bt said:

It's ok for me, it's not one of my favorites but it's not bad either, it wasn't as intimate as I expected, I even think some of her old tours were more intimate.

What I liked about the Madame X concert film was that they did not go as crazy on the choppy edits this time, it allowed me to take it in more although it was still fast. I feel like Madame X album has got to be seen in person to really appreciate how great the show is. 

• 8 months later...

This is the only M tour film that I have literally only watched once - and that was when it was released. All other tours I have watched several times in the time around release and then dipped in and out for certain songs or sections for years afterwards. MX was just one viewing and I’ve not felt compelled to go back to it since. At all.  Despite seeing the show in London on 3rd row and loving every second of it. 
Anyone else share this sentiment…?

31 minutes ago, Kieran said:

This is the only M your film that I have literally only watched once - and that was when it was released. All other tours I have watched several times in the time around release and then dipped in and out for certain songs or sections for years afterwards. MX was just one viewing and I’ve not felt compelled to go back to it since. At all.  Despite seeing the show in London on 3rd row and loving every second of it. 
Anyone else share this sentiment…?

Same. Saw it in London and loved it. Watched it once when it was on MTV UK and never went back to it. I felt it got better as it went along but it felt a bit messy. I’d like to watch it again though as I’m really into the Madame X era at the moment but I’ve no idea where it can be viewed now. 

15 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

I did like it. But I don't know if that's because I saw the show in person and have those wonderful memories already. I think it was closer to reality than the Rebel heart Tour one which was really so different to being there in person.

I really enjoyed the show live 3 times,   but the Madame X film i'm not compelled to keep watching.    Too many camera switches,   typical Madonna release nowadays :(   If there was a raw recording of it i think i would enjoy that more. 

I haven't gone back to it since it premiered online but I enjoyed aspects of it. I felt at times, it's definitely a show with a lot to take home and perhaps lends itself to not as much replays as other tours. Some good, lots of places where I didn't enjoy but it was nice to see the Madame X album and songs brought to life.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:08 AM, Blue Jean said:

I did like it. But I don't know if that's because I saw the show in person and have those wonderful memories already. I think it was closer to reality than the Rebel heart Tour one which was really so different to being there in person.

Your video of you leaving the Paris venue, with the guy pissing in the street, which you found hot, lives in my mind rent free… :angel:

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it once and found it too much. I love the Madame X album but i like some "live" versions best  (Killers, Batuka, Future, I Rise, Come Alive) so even though i only watched it once, i listen to some Madame X live versions a lot. 

I only watched MDNAtour & Rebel Hert tour once each too. I tried returning to them but they really did not grab me. I always return to to all the othr tours, especially Confessions, Who's That Girl, virgin tour, reinvention, DWT and even some Sticky and Sweet because they sound live with real instruments and vocals even though they were remixed and tweaked too but the latter show sound lifeless with all the editing and mixing. And i really don't like God Control and IDSIF live when i adore these songs.