Rehearsals (spoilers alert)

truerebel

1 hour ago, Redha DBL said:

I absolutely cannot agree with your take on Who's That girl. I don't know in which country you were living in the 80's but i can assure you that the song "Who's that girl" really is a signature song of hers here in France and probably in many European countries too. Really, when i was a kid, basically everyone in my neighbourhood had that single vinyl. I grew up seeing that sleeve with the top half of her face with big eyes opened on a white backround. Who's that giiiiiiirl, the line, is absolutely a signature line of Madonna for anyone who was living in France in 1987. I tell you. 

Once again, just because it was big at the time of its release, doesn’t mean that it stayed in people's minds.

It wasn't included on any of her compilations until Celebration. She also hasn't performed it again until 2015 and even decided to drop it from the setlist at some point.

The song is one of her "forgotten" hits and Madonna herself, as well as the lack of an iconic visual tied to it, greatly contributed to that. It’s just not one of the songs that has been covered or featured in TV shows as much as most of her other 80s songs. It was a big hit but it greatly built on the success of the previous single. It will always be in La Isla Bonita's shadow. The same goes for Take A Bow and You'll See. That’s simply how it is.

1 minute ago, MPowered said:

Once again, just because it was big at the time of its release, doesn’t mean that it stayed in people's minds.

It wasn't included on any of her compilations until Celebration. She also hasn't performed it again until 2015 and even decided to drop it from the setlist at some point.

Just because Madonna doesn't seem to like it, not because people don't like it. 

Imagine if she repackages her worn-out hits in a joyful medley quickly dispatched: Like a virgin, Everybody, Holiday, Groove, Material, open your heart, Papa don't preach, Prayer, Express, Vogue, Music, Hung up and she makes in full : Oh Father, Bad Girl, Cherich, Bedtime, Rescue Me, Hold Tight, Candy perfume girl, Keep it together, I love NY, Heartbeat, Intervention, Little star...

terribly exciting

2 hours ago, MPowered said:

It did well cause it was a more uptempo La Isla Bonita. The video is one of her least memorable ones and there really is nothing "iconic" tied to any songs from that movie.

It did well because she was the biggest star on the planet at that point, on the back of the monster hit that was the true blue album, it didn't really matter what she would release. But it's another addition to her singles catalogue that added to her enigma. In 1987 the word girl was enough to make people mention Madonna, that's how huge the tour was and the question "Who is that girl?" was on everybody's lips. It was never about the movie, (she even changed the name of the movie to be in synch with the song and tour) it was about the statement. So you think you know me but you don't. The video I agree is mediocre but the song is 100% Madonna gold and reached the number 1 spot across the globe deservedly. Yes it uses a lot of the same chord progressions as LIB but to me they are really different songs.

5 hours ago, Mden said:

Acronyms- giving me brain freeze!!!

Hahahhah! I was thinking the exact same just as I scrolled to your post!

NRM. I get it. But then BG? RM? I sit there for ages going through her catalogue thinking what the hell they are.

By the way... I know now so no need to tell me...

15 minutes ago, Pretender1978 said:

It did well because she was the biggest star on the planet at that point, on the back of the monster hit that was the true blue album, it didn't really matter what she would release. But it's another addition to her singles catalogue that added to her enigma. In 1987 the word girl was enough to make people mention Madonna, that's how huge the tour was and the question "Who is that girl?" was on everybody's lips. It was never about the movie, (she even changed the name of the movie to be in synch with the song and tour) it was about the statement. So you think you know me but you don't. The video I agree is mediocre but the song is 100% Madonna gold and reached the number 1 spot across the globe deservedly. Yes it uses a lot of the same chord progressions as LIB but to me they are really different songs.

Yeah. Who's That Girl was massive at the time. Like with Material Girl it became a good tabloid headline for anything relating to her and it was her signature tune in the late 80s. I would say that a lot of the people who aren't huge fans of Madonna and are going to see the show will be wanting to hear it.

55 minutes ago, MPowered said:

Well to be honest there was no compilation released apart from TIC that it could have been included on. It wasn't on TIC because of the lack of space after it became a single disc instead of double. It was also rumored for a long time that the whole era reminded her too much of Sean Penn, but that's speculation. Madonna performing or not performing songs says nothing about their hit status in the fanbase or the GP, TAB and CS say hello

4 hours ago, MPowered said:

It might be her manifesto. It’s still not a signature song or hit single and it has been overdone considering it was such a huge flop.

Oh, it absolutely is a 'signature' Madonna song at this point, regardless of not being a commercial hit like the others (and that didn't matter anyway, as that video was EVERYWHERE during the context of it's time).

As for "overdone", that's subjective, and quite irrelevant anyways.
In the end, she's going to chose whatever tells the story she wants to tell. Whether we like it or not.