Madonna Movies Thread Discussion

I think critics and people used the only thing she wasn't excellent at to try to bring her down and "compensate" for the rest of her monumental success. And they did bring her down in the end, cause she gave up after many years of working.

She wasn't the best actress in the world. But she wasn't the worst of the worst either, as they made everyone believe.

In some movies she was OK but the rest was a disaster ("Shanghai Surprise", for instance) yet she took all the blame.

She didn't "play the game" in Hollywood and you REALLY need to do that to get success in movies.

Movies I think she's very good in:

- Susan

- Dick Tracy

- A League Of Their Own

- Dangerous Game

- Evita

Movies she's OK:

- Shanghai Surprise

- Who's That Girl

- Body Of Evidence

- Four Rooms

- Girl 6

Movies she's not that good:

- The Next Best Thing

- Swept Away

(Those two after "Evita" ended up being bad decisions.)

My personal faves:

- Who's That Girl

- Body Of Evidence (so over the top you gotta love it)

- Evita

I love when they took her seriously:

And she could seriously talk about it. Apart from those rare occasions, she spent her movie interviews almost defending herself. She was CONSTANTLY reminded of her previous flops. I don't remember any other actor or actress getting that treatment on interviews.

A few thoughts I have on her most of her films she's acted in:

Vision Quest - It was just Madonna being Madonna that we all first fell in love with in the early 80's. There was no real acting effort from her.

Desperately Seeking Susan - She hardly acted.  Just played up to her persona at the time.  I always felt like the film dragged when Madonna wasn't in a scene. She definitely was most interesting thing about the movie. 

Shanghai Surprised -  Thought her and Sean had great chemistry and her acting wasn't that bad.  The film was just bad.

Who's That Girl - Loved this film. She was over the top, but it worked for the character she was playing. Ridiculous film!

Bloodhouds of Broadway - All I remember it was quite boring, but she was charming in her parts, especially the scene where she sings "I Surrender Dear" with Jennifer Grey.

Dick Tracy - She wasn't horrible in this by far.  Her musical moments were the highlights. But it is with this film, I started seeing she was too much in her head and started coming off too stiff in her roles.

Truth or Dare - Just perfect.  Nothing more needs to be said, but set the stage for REALITY TV.

Shadows and Fog - Bored me to tears. Madonna had such a small role, that played up to her persona at the time.  Her part was fun to watch and wasn't bad at all.

A League of Their Own - Fine film, but Madonna was playing up to her own persona, but I still felt she wasn't a great actress in this.  But I loved the interaction she and Rosie had in this film.

Body of Evidence - I liked this film.  She looked fucking fantastic in this film.  Her acting; wasn't the greeatest and came off very stiff in this. Too much in her head. 

Dangerous Game -  The best acting she has ever done in any film.  Too bad the film is complete shit.

Blue in the Face - Just a cameo. Fun part, but nothing to rave about.

Four Rooms - I thought she was okay in this. Her character was supposed to be over the top, so it is what it is.

Girl 6 - Another fun role where she played a role fit for her persona.  It just worked.

Evita - I'm sure if she hadn't sung much of her role, she probably wouldn't have pulled this off as an actress. That said; she had some moments (the dying scene she improvised) that really stands out.  She really poured her heart and soul in this.

The Next Best Thing - I loved the story and much of the film even though her acting wasn't the best and the lighting in this film was horrible. The accent she had was odd.

Swept Away - Before being marooned on the island, it was ridiculous stupid and Madonna's acting was at its worst.  In contrast, once they were stranded, I enjoyed the film much better.  It still was a bit over the top, but as soon as her character came down to earth, her acting seem to get better.

Die Another Day - A nice cameo that worked where she didn't have too much chance to come off too bad.

I'm Going To Tell You A Secret - I enjoyed it for what it was. It hardly was Truth or Dare, but it was interesting to see how she evolved to this point in time, even though I felt she was trying to be someone she is not, being married to Guy.  I did love her narration in this film. Her voice at times I loved.

Arthur and The Invisible - So this was a delightful film and being just a voice role, it allowed you to forget Madonna was playing the role she was in.  She should do more voice roles.

All in all, I always felt under the right circumstance if Madonna could check her ego, under a great director, she could probably pull off a dramatic character role that is beyond who she is.  The problem is, she's a control freak and she gets too much into her head.  She just has to let go.  She has to learn to have more humility to be a good actress.  Other than that, it's just either Madonna being Madonna or her trying to hard to act. She has great screen presence and is able to emote emotion very well, especially during musical performances.  This is why Evita worked very well for her.  She deserves an Oscar for that film.  And whatever Abel Ferarra was able to pull out of Madonna as Sarah Jennings, seem the most genuine acting on Madonna's part than in any film I've seen her in. I know she didn't like the outcome of that film, but she needs someone like him to kick her in the ass, and not play the Diva card.

Who's That Girl is still my favorite Madonna film no matter how awful people think it was.  I agree it was ridiculous, but she was so charming as Nikki Finn.  And being a "screw ball comedy" I never took it too seriously.

Just now, sidney78a said:

Such a pity we wont see her acting again in this lifetime.

it was for me the most tasteful of my guilty pleasures.

I do like Dick Tracy and Evita a lot.

but

I do see her directing either the shelved biopic or something else she might be interested.

:)

Not sure we should count her out just yet in acting in films.  I see a lot of possibility for her to act/appear in films and television especially as she grows older. 

I think over her acting is always the shadow of being Madonna, and not just Madonna the singer but Madonna: sexual, strong, vocal, controlling

These two variants of the same coin deliver  some good moments in her characters but also some cringe worthy ones. The vamp , femme fatale works with Breathless, Elspeth sometimes as Rebecca Calrson. The star quality comes up with Susan, Evita and even in the quirky side of Nikki. I even think she has a bit of both as Mae Mordabito in ALOTO. But in so many other moments she comes across as a bit awkward and translates as bad acting.

I never watched Swept Away ..

41 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

Also Susan has been my feeling good movie. I always watch it when I need an emotional  pick up

Same and since i have a passion for early 80's downtown NYC, it's a wonderful time capsule.

There's something that must be said about her movies, she's always the focus of the critics in them (just like in everything she does) but most of the movies she starred would have been bad even without her. The Body Of Evidence plot is just as ridiculous as Flashdance's and Footloose's : fucking a guy to death ? And when the movies are somehow good they are boring : Dick Tracy and Evita, she's the best thing in both. Then there's the big error she kept repeating : NEVER MAKE A MOVIE WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY : Shangai Surprise, Who's That Girl (which i like), The Next Best Thing, Swept Away.

She's best as a supporting actress in an ensemble cast. She's best when she's directed by women. At least her character does not end up being murdered. She dies in half of her movies. She's bigger than any role one can create, she's a larger than life character herself. 

4 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Same and since i have a passion for early 80's downtown NYC, it's a wonderful time capsule.

There's something that must be said about her movies, she's always the focus of the critics in them (just like in everything she does) but most of the movies she starred would have been bad even without her. The Body Of Evidence plot is just as ridiculous as Flashdance's and Footloose's : fucking a guy to death ? And when the movies are somehow good they are boring : Dick Tracy and Evita, she's the best thing in both. Then there's the big error she kept repeating : NEVER MAKE A MOVIE WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY : Shangai Surprise, Who's That Girl (which i like), The Next Best Thing, Swept Away.

She's best as a supporting actress in an ensemble cast. She's best when she's directed by women. At least her character does not end up being murdered. She dies in half of her movies. She's bigger than any role one can create, she's a larger than life character herself. 

When i moved to NY, I left my suitcase in a locker at the Port authority station because it was so heavy and started raining and went to eat at Jaffa's cafe in Marks's place. It was'nt in purposed but then I learn these were locations of the movie. 

42 minutes ago, EgoRod said:

When i moved to NY, I left my suitcase in a locker at the Port authority station because it was so heavy and started raining and went to eat at Jaffa's cafe in Marks's place. It was'nt in purposed but then I learn these were locations of the movie. 

At one time i was living in Cliffside Park, NJ, nearby Fort Lee and at night i could see the George Washington Bridge lit up from my bedroom and then i spent the days in the village where my school was. One day i realised i was totally Roberta, hahaha. I moved to Hoboken after a few weeks then Queen's, i've never lived in Manhattan as i could never find an apt. that was not a shoebox with a dirty bathtub for 3 times what i was paying for 1 bedr apt. out of Manahattan because it was not 1984 anymore hahaha

18 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

At one time i was living in Cliffside Park, NJ, nearby Fort Lee and at night i could see the George Washington Bridge lit up from my bedroom and then i spent the days in the village where my school was. One day i realised i was totally Roberta, hahaha. I moved to Hoboken after a few weeks then Queen's, i've never lived in Manhattan as i could never find an apt. that was not a shoebox with a dirty bathtub for 3 times what i was paying for 1 bedr apt. out of Manahattan because it was not 1984 anymore hahaha

I was in Broadway Astoria for a bit then move to 128th E

I've always loved Bloodhounds of Broadway. The film was the director's labour of love and he fought so hard to make it whilst fighting with AIDS. He went off his medication just so he could finish the film and he died before it was released, and was buried on his 35th birthday. I had the honour of interviewing the film's composer and Brookner's nephew as well to learn more about the making of Bloodhounds. I watched it many times growing up and it really holds a special place in my heart. You can really see the love that went into it. The cast and crew really rallied around Howard to help him make this.

I wish she had done horror/ sci fi. I just know she'd kill it. There's still time. And a Madonna/Bette Midler late 80's comedy would have ended me as a kid.

My favorite M movie will always be Truth or Dare. The role of MADONNA is the one I wanna watch over and over. 

LOVE her cameo and everything about Girl 6.

Someone needs to AI Evita where every song is Miami/Te Amo remixed. It would be a glorious mess I would watch several times a year.

She's hysterical and gorgeous in Dick Tracy. 

Everyone I know loves her in A League of Their Own. And they LOVE TUTBMP.  I think it's the smartest film choice she ever made. People of all different ages love it.

The Next Best Thing is so frustrating because it starts off so fun. The possibilities are endless. And then we get Kramer vs. Kramer with Madonna? Really? Not an asteroid? Madonna having an evil twin? Something?! Anything! You have Lynn Redgrave for God's sake!

Body of Evidence is another one. You have that incredible cast and of all the movies you could make, that's the one?! Oh dear. She looks great and there are some campy lines though.

Dangerous Game: Great performance. Not a movie I care to rewatch though.

Swept Away: No. Just no. Not even a Della Reese lsfyl helped. WIFLFAG was a better film.

Who's That Girl? is a great and gets way too much crap. That intro cartoon alone!  

The other I've seen once or clips from. She always looks great but the subject matter doesn't do anything for me.

Unpopular opinion: My least favorite is the episode of Will & Grace. And not just because of the straw hat.

To win an OSCAR®: EVITA (at least she won the Golden Globe)

Good: A League of their own, Body of Evidence (I don't know why but I like this movie) and Desperately Seeking Susan (It's just 1985 Madonna acting as 1985 Madonna, and we saw "Material Girl" and "Dress You Up" in the big screen)

I don't have a good opinion/I have a very bad opinion: the rest.

3 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

To win an oscar: EVITA (at least she won the Golden Globe)

Good: A League of their own, Desperately Seeking Susan (It's just 1985 Madonna acting as 1985 Madonna) and Body of Evidence (I don't know why but I like this movie).

I don't have a good opinion/I have a very bad opinion: the rest.

She was robbed with "Evita" of at least getting a nomination.