The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

This version of LAP is growing on me, but I think this song sounds best backed with a gospel choir or back-up singers giving up more of a choral vibe. The gregorian-ish chanting is cool too though. This performance does fit the "is this song sexual or religious, or both?" theme so inherent in the song well though. 

4 minutes ago, Winn said:

No, only she should be on the cover.

I agree. On the other hand, the tour is called The Celebration Tour. The cover has to be something related to the celebration and the party and not to Madonna being masturbated by another woman. Total inconsistency.

I think that some image of Madonna standing out in the foreground dancing with the other drag queens (whose image would be in the background and somewhat blurred so as not to overshadow the figure of Madonna) during her performance in Bitch I'm Madonna will finally be the one chosen because that image will serve to represent not only the celebration and the party but practically the culture that already represents a artist with more than 40 years of career.

If I was in charge of the set list, I would've considered replacing Hung Up with Deeper and Deeper, as a Confessions song feels out of place in an Erotica-era-themed section, and she was clearly going for a "celebration of joyful hedonism" vibe with the HU performance, like D&D in the Girlie Show. 

Edited by Kae-Leah Williamson (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

This version of LAP is growing on me, but I think this song sounds best backed with a gospel choir or back-up singers giving up more of a choral vibe. The gregorian-ish chanting is cool too though. This performance does fit the "is this song sexual or religious, or both?" theme so inherent in the song well though. 

I have to agree.  MDNA was the last time I really thought the song sounded great on tour.  It really engaged the crowd as well. 

Just got back from the Copenhagen show! Great show, great audience, great arena! Personally I don´t like Bedtime Story and Bitch I´m Madonna at all, but I guess some people do. It´s not Blond Ambition or Confessions, but for me it´s better than all her recent tours :)

Back to dreaming about Who´s That Girl, Causing a Commotion, Rescue Me, Thief of Hearts, Supernatural, Dress you up, Angel....

4 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I have to agree.  MDNA was the last time I really thought the song sounded great on tour.  It really engaged the crowd as well. 

The sing-along aspect of LAP in MDNA is so fun! I know some people find those sing-alongs gimmicky and annoying, but it's fun and gets the crowd engaged. And it was backed by a full choir. 

1 hour ago, Cyber-Raga said:

the verse for sure isn't live at all because the vocal lead started playing while she was still sipping her water and when she picked up the mic, there was no difference. 

Maybe it varies from show to show based on how she’s feeling or she started relying one more. In videos from prior shows she’s screwed up the lyrics and it was pretty clearly live.

1 minute ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

The sing-along aspect of LAP in MDNA is so fun! I know some people find those sing-alongs gimmicky and annoying, but it's fun and gets the crowd engaged. And it was backed by a full choir. 

It was a great mix too. It got the crowd going.  That and Holiday has lost it's punched when performed anymore. Though I do think Holiday on Celebration is a huge improvement from Rebel Heart.

1 minute ago, MikeyK said:

Maybe it varies or she started using one more. In videos from prior shows she’s screwed up the lyrics and it was pretty clearly live.

I personally believe she's singing live over a backing track like many of the other songs on tour.  I suspect there are parts of the song she lets it support her more. 

4 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Maybe it varies from show to show based on how she’s feeling or she started relying one more. In videos from prior shows she’s screwed up the lyrics and it was pretty clearly live.

Thankfully she is using a backing track.

Even Adele sounds better with one.

It really adds to the vocal.

What made Holiday in Celebration for me is the ending where one of the dancers "dies". It's a sobering reminder of the lives lost to AIDS, and I really didn't see it coming. I don't always "get" some of the artsy stuff in her tours, but that I totally "got". I love the '80s but it's a good reminder that there was a darker side to that decade, it was certainly not always a fun decade for the LGBT+ community and others effected by AIDS. I lost two cousins to it myself. 

1 minute ago, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

What made Holiday in Celebration for me is the ending where one of the dancers "dies". It's a sobering reminder of the lives lost to AIDS, and I really didn't see it coming. I don't always "get" some of the artsy stuff in her tours, but that I totally "got". I love the '80s but it's a good reminder that there was a darker side to that decade, it was certainly not always a fun decade for the LGBT+ community and others effected by AIDS. I lost two cousins to it myself. 

Yeah, it's a pretty touching moment. Unfortunately, I think that moment could confuse people other than fans. But it's good that she ties in Live to Tell and the visuals of people who have dies in her life and beyond.  So hopefully the general public can make the connection?

11 minutes ago, McDonna said:

I personally believe she's singing live over a backing track like many of the other songs on tour.  I suspect there are parts of the song she lets it support her more. 

8 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Thankfully she is using a backing track.

Even Adele sounds better with one.

It really adds to the vocal.

Oh I’m sure she does have a track helping her, I was just surprised to hear it didn’t seem live at all. Perhaps her voice isn’t back to 100% where she wants it to be after being unwell last week so she’s relying more on it.

In layman's terms, I'm not a sound technician or anything, does that mean she's basically singing along to a recording of herself...? I don't mind that at all, as I think it's pretty standard in the pop music concert industry these days? This tour still sounded more "live" than I expected.

Though I do love her raw live vocals on her first few tours. She wasn't the strongest vocalist in the world technically, but she was very expressive. 

Just now, Kae-Leah Williamson said:

In layman's terms, I'm not a sound technician or anything, does that mean she's basically singing along to a recording of herself...? I don't mind that at all, as I think it's pretty standard in the pop music concert industry these days? This tour still sounded more "live" than I expected.

Though I do love her raw live vocals on her first few tours. She wasn't the strongest vocalist in the world technically, but she was very expressive. 

Yeah, I see it as she's singing along with herself.  So there are parts of the show, her vocals are shining.  I believe you can hear her live vocals for Bad Girl, but there's a vocal under her, that helps projects her vocals more.

Just got home from the show in Copenhagen. She was amazing. What a show! The danish reviews from the newspapers are not the best, but I think the audience had an amazing time. I did. What a show! She was an hour late (yes, she needs to stop that! People have to go to work the next day) but she looked and sounded great. Two hours felt like five minutes. Can't wait to go to the next show tomorrow ❤️

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)