The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

4 minutes ago, Sheridan1980 said:

It's amazing how everyone criticizes her voice on the Celebration Tour, but nobody ever talks about her voice, which was far below what it is today at the sacrosanct BAT :smile:

Again, I'm talking about the overall experience of seeing it live, not on video. This applies to all of her tours, which many people have only seen on video, not live. Her voice had a lot of power then, combined with an excellent band, Nikki and Donna, a very enthusiastic crowd and how innovative and different the tour was at the time. It was the whole experience, not just her voice. And she did get heavily criticized at the time for lip synching Now I'm Following You and using pre-recorded vocals mixed with her live voice on other songs. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

I guess because there was no internet then and fan footage was rarely seen 

Also times have changed, now you can have several different tv shows about new talents, where singers have a perfect voice and a curated attitude. That makes everyone think that a good artist should have those standards, and being young a pretty forever, and 0 problematic. 

So Madonna is heavily criticized, when she was in Eurovision, for sure her voice was the worst of all gala. That happened on different important moments on the last 15 years, and for sure made her less confident than ever and insecure on stage. Probably kids are asking themselves why she's considered so important with that voice and wearing weird outfits. 

I'm glad that she's back, and that's not easy. The good thing is we are still talking about her and her new show, and let's see if those kids with blond hair and perfect voices are still going on in 10 years. 

Just now, nito84bcn said:

Also times have changed, now you can have several different tv shows about new talents, where singers have a perfect voice and a curated attitude. That makes everyone think that a good artist should have those standards, and being young a pretty forever, and 0 problematic. 

So Madonna is heavily criticized, when she was in Eurovision, for sure her voice was the worst of all gala. That happened on different important moments on the last 15 years, and for sure made her less confident than ever and insecure on stage. Probably kids are asking themselves why she's considered so important with that voice and wearing weird outfits. 

I'm glad that she's back, and that's not easy. The good thing is we are still talking about her and her new show, and let's see if those kids with blond hair and perfect voices are still going on in 10 years. 

Plus they use pitch correction on all those idol shows and on every artist that people believe can sing. Everything is fake now and so any flaws stand out more than they used to.

23 hours ago, scion said:

Old Town Road? Really? 🤣

Yep, way better than only singing Causing A Commotion.

Honestly, hearing her hit those off-key notes in the chorus like two hundred times... I mean, I love CAC, but it is more than enough for me 😂 😂 😂

About her style: few days ago I had some thoughts here on the new look, but with that punk skirt giving off DWT vibes, it's totally working for her now. Still prefer the blue one with the black skirt, which makes her look more slender, but this one is amazing too ♥️

Also, in the first section, her hair was cool, closer to how it was at the start of the tour, after a few shows it had become too puffy. And the wig worn in the second act (the Erotica one, to be clear) I found much better than the one she wore in Europe and the other American stops. This one is more "compact" and has bangs.

But these are minor things. Anyway, she looked stunning ♥️

4 hours ago, FraP said:

I'm gonna tell you about my fourth and final show of this Celebration Tour ❤️ from Europe to SF. I decided to go for a different concert experience: no smartphone in hand and watching from the stands (I was quite low and central). The Celebration Tour might be more enjoyable from the stands, especially since I'm not that tall: other times, I could barely see her even though I was right in front of the stage. Plus, the sound from the stands is way better, I could hear her voice much more clearly. I must say, even without any surprise element, this was the show of the tour I enjoyed the most.

This tour is an absolute blast, a whirlwind of nostalgia and fresh energy combined! It's like stepping into a vibrant collage of Madonna's most iconic moments, reimagined for today. And there's a story in it. A testament to her enduring legacy and a reminder of why she's been the best popstar for decades ☺️

Tonight was fantastic ❤️

I'm glad I got to say goodbye to this tour in such a way. The whole experience has been incredible, being here in SF feels magical to me. I'm head over heels in love with this city. And it's amazing that I'm in such a place, on the other side of the world, watching Madonna again, right here.

The show's flaws are the same as always, I don't like the lack of a live band, I still don't like the final part, her voice isn't in the best shape, she obviously butchered Take A Bow, as I expected 😅 I noticed that the audience was more in tune than she was during that song, drowning her out 😂 But who cares, I'm still happy, and I expected it, so no big deal.

No, her voice during the BAT wasn't worse at all. It was a thousand times better than it is now. She simply used to sing solo a lot more. Yes, there were Niki and Donna, but when they weren't backing her up, she was on her own. Here, she's hardly ever alone; she almost always has heavy backing vocals, especially in the choruses. Maybe it's like this now because she's somewhat disconnected from music and has shifted her focus to the performance aspect, especially now that technology can lend a hand. Maybe it also has to do with her singing alongside a guy who talks over her. I don't know, but it's all good. I'm really happy! I'm fully aware of all of Madonna's flaws. I critique her sometimes, acknowledge the shortcomings, and think she should work on them, but I love her just the way she is, accepting that she's not "perfect".

Sometimes we're worn out by the time we hit 40 and struggle to take care of ourselves, let alone at 65. And sure, at 65 she might have neglected a few things, but she's still incredibly strong 💪

Ah, and I got to meet one of the dancers 🥹

I don't consider it one of her best tours, but it's still wonderful. She's happy, energetic, and relaxed, kind of like at the RHT. And I like seeing Madonna like this!

Oh, and she sang Old Town Road before Burning Up 😄

Great review.. 

But explain the " heavy backing vocals " once and for all? Because we got so many videos allready with timing mistakes , that proves the backing vocals aren't really that loud on allot of songs, especially not in the verses. Sure, the backing vocals on the chorus is louder, but that's how it's suposed to be. Backing singers give it their all to in choruses... 

We should remember that those backing vocals are her backing singers, it's really not that different. 

Anyway, great review and im glad you had a great time. 

Her hairstyle was fire

47 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

It was truly woeful and I swear it got worse over time

Sure, I remember there were times she hit the right notes. But most of the time, especially when she says "I got the moves baby," she totally misses the notes, almost as if she doesn't remember the song. Considering it's a bit of an "improvised" acapella snippet sing-along with the audience, it's understandable that it varies a bit. I'd prefer if she picked something from her own repertoire.

5 hours ago, Sheridan1980 said:

It's amazing how everyone criticizes her voice on the Celebration Tour, but nobody ever talks about her voice, which was far below what it is today at the sacrosanct BAT :smile:

Celebration sound fine to me.

She's 65, never was a power vocalist, she moves allot on stage, so considered the circumstances she sounds fine. Is it perfect? No.. But it's definitely fine most of the time. 

Watch Mariah or Diana ross just standing behind a mic and sound even worse sometimes. 

I think she's doing a great job 

13 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Great review.. 

But explain the " heavy backing vocals " once and for all? Because we got so many videos allready with timing mistakes , that proves the backing vocals aren't really that loud on allot of songs, especially not in the verses. Sure, the backing vocals on the chorus is louder, but that's how it's suposed to be. Backing singers give it their all to in choruses... 

We should remember that those backing vocals are her backing singers, it's really not that different. 

Anyway, great review and im glad you had a great time. 

I can almost always tell her voice apart from the backing vocals and I notice every mistake.

Generally, though, I've observed that the backing vocals are quite loud, sometimes as loud as her live voice, or even louder (like in the choruses). At the opening night they were really loud, today I think they were at the right volume.

Anyway, her vocals in this tour, in my opinion, range from terrible to decent, but never good. It's always a bummer when they're at their worst. No comparison to Mariah or Diana Ross (I don't like them, though).

But, as they say, we all neglect something in life. Some people lose themselves entirely by the time they're 40. I neglect plenty of things. She's neglected her voice, but not her identity or her spirit. And I'm okay with that.

Anyway, it's almost 6am here, can't sleep, but I'll catch some sleep now, haha 😂

4 minutes ago, Lorx said:

She never looked as stunning as she is on this tour, not since 2016. Now that you've brought it up, I agree that her hair seemed too voluminous at some shows, but here it's perfect - aside from the significant root growth 😂

She looks so beautiful & sexy as hell here omg

I do want to say that even though she butchered TAB, she sang it better than in other videos I've seen from the previous shows. In TAB the prerecorded backing vocals are quite loud, but her voice is obviously audible. It's a shame I can't find a well-made recording of Take A Bow from yesterday show. If anyone finds one (San Francisco, second night - 2/28), it would be a huge favor!

And now I'm really off to bed hahahahahah

18 minutes ago, FraP said:

I can almost always tell her voice apart from the backing vocals and I notice every mistake.

Generally, though, I've observed that the backing vocals are quite loud, sometimes as loud as her live voice, or even louder (like in the choruses). At the opening night they were really loud, today I think they were at the right volume.

Anyway, her vocals in this tour, in my opinion, range from terrible to decent, but never good. It's always a bummer when they're at their worst. No comparison to Mariah or Diana Ross (I don't like them, though).

But, as they say, we all neglect something in life. Some people lose themselves entirely by the time they're 40. I neglect plenty of things. She's neglected her voice, but not her identity or her spirit. And I'm okay with that.

Anyway, it's almost 6am here, can't sleep, but I'll catch some sleep now, haha 😂

But as i said, their not that loud. 😉... Im really not in the mood for looking up those videos where her timing is off and you can clearly hear that the backing vocals in the verses aren't loud at all most of the time. But a few examples are that video where she forgets her mic in comparing to the one where she falls off the chair. 

In the " forget the mic " video the backing vocals in the 1st verse starts playing and they are not loud at all, and its perfectly heard once she starts singing. 

The one where she falls off the chair the backing vocals in the choruse is playing and you can hear that its louder than the verses ( as it should be)

And there are more videos wich proves this. We got Nothing really maters where she sings wrong lyrics, wich proves the backing in the verses are not loud, because the mistake is heard loud and clear. We got bedtime story where she fucks up lyrics and hearing low backing vocals in the verses. 

There is a video where she starts singing Ray of light to late because of water drinking, and a video of Mother nd father where she starts singing the verses to late, and all proving that the backing vocals in the verses are not loud. 

But im really not in the mood to search for those videos lol... 

And this is all i wanted to share about this subject... We really don't have to write back and forth about this. And this is no hate, but i really think some are overreacting with the backing tracks volume, and yes, some songs got louder backing tracks ( hung up, everybody, vogue ) but definitely not all songs. And i also don't agree on the opening night, there are videos online from that show and her live voice is perfectly heard. Different videos can make a huge difference. 

And sorry for my bad english lol..

18 minutes ago, FraP said:

I do want to say that even though she butchered TAB, she sang it better than in other videos I've seen from the previous shows. In TAB the prerecorded backing vocals are quite loud, but her voice is obviously audible. It's a shame I can't find a well-made recording of Take A Bow from yesterday show. If anyone finds one (San Francisco, second night - 2/28), it would be a huge favor!

And now I'm really off to bed hahahahahah

I agree, it's better but still not good at all 

1 hour ago, Frozen98 said:

I miss Rainnnnnnnn

Yeah, I watch and rewatch these Take a bow vids from every concert, desperately trying to find a way to make them feel organic to this section, but - sorry, I NEED  to repeat it again as I'm working too hard to make me like it :lol: - it's completely out of place. The cape and the wind thing looks ridiculous here, it just doesn't feet, the track after ROL sounds so boring and old fashioned, the opposite of the Rain album arrangment, definitely not uplifting, much more a downer ,and her performance is ... weak, to be supportive.

It's just so sad she's doing this I can't believe it :lol: My last hope is that she will record the Mexico shows getting back to Rain. I'm gonna talk to my therapist about it anyway, I need to be prepared, I need to make a work of acceptance  :Madonna043: