MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Celebration said:

The way I understoos it, she had so much promotion to do, and it took a long time before she could go back to the studio to work on Veronica Electronica, and by then she just didn't want to do it, so the project was abandoned.

Not only that, she had film commitments as well. When ROL was released she was also learning how to play the violin for a film she was preparing for which she dropped out three weeks before filming began in 1998 due to creative differences with the director Wes Craven.  Eventually, she signed on to do The Next Best Thing, so her time became consumed with that as well as the soundtrack for that as well as working a new album eventually.

On 3/22/2024 at 10:46 PM, steady75 said:

Like A Prayer single was huge. 
Express Yourself felt like it underperformed a little. Cherish did well. The videos were in heavy rotation.  In the UK surprisingly Dear Jessie was a big hit. Number 5 at Xmas. It was the second most successful single and outsold Express Yourself and Cherish. 
Shocker huh. The Beatles influence maybe. 
Then it got messy. I used to watch the American chart show late night and saw the video for Oh Father which I had no idea had been released. Then I saw. Keep It Together 12” import in HMV and was like “what the fuck is going on”, Then I saw an advert in a magazine for a new single called Vogue. 
Dear Jessie had only been out of the UK top forty about a month before Vogue dropped and it felt like the Like A Prayer era sort of limped out very much unlike True Blue had two years earlier with La Isla going number one as the fifth single. 

Like A Prayer was a challenging album when you first listen. After the sheen of True Blue and the almost saccharine retreads of the WTG singles and Spotlight, the raw LAP sound felt like whiplash. Like A Prayer was essentially a rhythm guitar track with a hint of rock and gospel. It was so different. 

I got the album on release day and listened to it back to back three times and hated it. Where were my my big sing along Bopp love bangers? 
it took several listens for Express Yourself, Cherish and Keep It Together to start jumping out. The rest took more time. 

I imagine this was a similar story for many other 13 year olds who were just used to sugary pop songs. 

Lol this sentiment about the album rages on according to what I’ve seen on twitter the last few days. Was surprised to see many younger fans airing their grievances w/it- it’s “dated”, “boring”, “only half the songs are good” (?!?!) etc.

I’d known of people saying Like A Prayer (song) is dated/boring which is so wild to me bc even though its production is kinda lite pop/rock it’s so stunning and epic that imo it transcends all that.

The consensus I often see is that Vogue is her truly timeless masterpiece that’s still fresh (you’d think its streaming #s would be better). I’ve recommended the Immaculate mix of LAP to some. If you like Vogue but think LAP is dated try this.

The LAP & Express Yourself dance mixes really aided their successes here in the US even if they weren’t the single A sides. I still think EY would’ve beat Martika to #1 if the dance/video mix was the single instead of a slightly embellished mix of the album version.

7 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Lol this sentiment about the album rages on according to what I’ve seen on twitter the last few days. Was surprised to see many younger fans airing their grievances w/it- it’s “dated”, “boring”, “only half the songs are good” (?!?!) etc.

I’d known of people saying Like A Prayer (song) is dated/boring which is so wild to me bc even though its production is kinda lite pop/rock it’s so stunning and epic that imo it transcends all that.

The consensus I often see is that Vogue is her truly timeless masterpiece that’s still fresh (you’d think its streaming #s would be better). I’ve recommended the Immaculate mix of LAP to some. If you like Vogue but think LAP is dated try this.

The LAP & Express Yourself dance mixes really aided their successes here in the US even if they weren’t the single A sides. I still think EY would’ve beat Martika to #1 if the dance/video mix was the single instead of a slightly embellished mix of the album version.

I wouldn't be too bothered by the social media responses, especially on "X".  It's just a cesspool of people being negative and nasty.  It doesn't account for the millions who do enjoy the album and those of us who do not need to scream the loudest about how we feel about it.  Nothing changes, because the album has sold over 15 Million copies world-wide.  That was a lot then, and today, no one is selling that amount of copies of their albums world-wide. 

5 hours ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

If she does actually do "expanded" versions of her albums (I know it only said 'landmark' but a boy can dream), I do anticipate that she'll be loading them up with remixes. Probably not for every song, but I suppose it's possible. The lady loves remixes so much, which I don't really understand.... but I do love FEL: 50NO

One disk for sure is going to be dedicated to remixes and alternative versions. 

2 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Veronica Electronica but all  NEW remixes by current artists. 

Veronica Electronica is long forgotten by her, thus becoming a legend of sort.

I'd love to see it coming however Madonna never returns to abandoned ideas. She's running forward and never looks back.  :jumpy:

Zero sentiments. Really an interesting attitude.

4 minutes ago, scallywally said:

I thought 'Veronica Electronica' was the working title of ROL when she switched to Orbit??? 

ooh tell me more. 

It was going to be the title of the remixes album for "ROL" if they did it later (they didn't in the end).

"ROL" working title was "Mantra" but ultimately she changed it cause everyone told her people would joke and call it "Mantrap", so of course she wanted to avoid that especially with such a grown up album.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It was going to be the title of the remixes album for "ROL" if they did it later (they didn't in the end).

"ROL" working title was "Mantra" but ultimately she changed it cause everyone told her people would joke and call it "Mantrap", so of course she wanted to avoid that especially with such a grown up album.

So like a you can dance. Love it, thankyou. x

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

The "mantrap" thing is new to me, never heard of that. 

"Man-trap" in a maneater context could prejudice sales and Madonna herself. I see why she went different way. 

18 minutes ago, Cyberraga said:

The "mantrap" thing is new to me, never heard of that. 

"Man-trap" in a maneater context could prejudice sales and Madonna herself. I see why she went different way. 

Yeah, I never heard she was persuaded from it because it sounded like "Mantrap".  I had thought it was agreed that it wasn't commercial sounding enough.  Fascinating how a fan as long as I have been still learning new things about her. :luv:

3 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Veronica Electronica but all  NEW remixes by current artists. 

Dear heavens, spare us from that kind of horror.

Cyndi Lauper included "new remixes by current artists" on the 30th Anniversary reissue of She's So Unusual, and people on superdeluxeedition.com went ballistic!
Especially since Cyndi also left out remixes from the era in favor of these new horrid mixes.

Since then, when someone does something like that on a reissue, we say that they Lauperfied the reissue. 

I think William Orbit could go in and dig out some unedited versions, and do his tweaking on other songs, and release it on a Deluxe edition of Ray Of Light.

18 hours ago, Celebration said:

Cyndi Lauper included "new remixes by current artists" on the 30th Anniversary reissue of She's So Unusual, and people on superdeluxeedition.com went ballistic!
Especially since Cyndi also left out remixes from the era in favor of these new horrid mixes.

Since then, when someone does something like that on a reissue, we say that they Lauperfied the reissue. 

I totally agree. Heaven never forgive, always forbid them from this profanation. 

If we really want to dream big, I'd love one-off concerts dedicated to each album (in NYC :dance:) of her career, in which Madonna performs the whole album in its entirety with themed staging, costumes, and performance production themed around that album cycle - transporting Madonna back in time to each era for one night only!!! :dance::dance:

1 hour ago, WokeUpInMedellin said:

If we really want to dream big, I'd love one-off concerts dedicated to each album (in NYC :dance:) of her career, in which Madonna performs the whole album in its entirety with themed staging, costumes, and performance production themed around that album cycle - transporting Madonna back in time to each era for one night only!!! :dance::dance:

This would be amazing but she would only do it for landmark albums I think. I always thought a Ray of Light one-off show would be super cool. 

I think they missed a trick on CELEBRATION having her early days sure with tracks from that time space grungy new York dates ty danceteria vibes, then I'd have had a film section for her love of cinema film and glamour, then a more confessional blond Ambition side , her Drowned World revisited too and cowboy western style ....I know there's hints of it but could be a proper ERAS tour as such imagine that ...

On 3/24/2024 at 6:24 PM, Celebration said:

I think William Orbit could go in and dig out some unedited versions, and do his tweaking on other songs, and release it on a Deluxe edition of Ray Of Light.

Back in the day, she said that Frozen and ROL both are about 10-12 minutes each, and that they edited them down to manageable album lengths.  I would be thrilled if they released the full versions 

15 hours ago, Cyberraga said:

I totally agree. Heaven never forgive, always forbid them from this profanation. 

On 3/24/2024 at 11:24 PM, Celebration said:

profanation?

i love it!!!!

i hope madonna will put out 2 version for every album......

a normal remasterd edition for the fanatic of the 1st version with nothing new or tok much...... modern

and a new version for every album with

unreleased

new remixes 

feats

and a 2024 version of every song ..........

11 hours ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

I think they missed a trick on CELEBRATION having her early days sure with tracks from that time space grungy new York dates ty danceteria vibes, then I'd have had a film section for her love of cinema film and glamour, then a more confessional blond Ambition side , her Drowned World revisited too and cowboy western style ....I know there's hints of it but could be a proper ERAS tour as such imagine that ...

btw they do an amazing job with this tour......... its true....... some amazing songs are out but with the huge catalogue  Madonna have i think they can't do more than this....

On 3/24/2024 at 3:53 PM, Prayer said:

I forgot what interview it was but at one point she said she was going to title the album Drowned World but didnt because it sounded too negative