What is the timeline of Madonna songs/videos that made you a fan?

Aiwa08

Just curious. Please, be specific with the versions. This is my timeline:

First contact (1983):

• Burning Up (Single Version). I loved it.

I loved before becoming a fan (in chronological order) (1984 - 1988) :

• Material Girl (Album Version) & Video
  • Into The Groove (Original Version)
  • Live To Tell (Single Version) & Video
  • Open Your Heart (7’’ Remix) & Video
  • La Isla Bonita (Album Version)
  • Who’s That Girl (Album Version)
  • Spotlight (Extended Remix)
  • Where’s The Party (Extended Remix)

The song/video that made me a fan forever (1989):

• Express Yourself (Video House Version)

We must be around the same age 

First contact (1983/84):  Borderline album version, except everything was happening at the same time for me: borderline, burning up and lucky star videos on mtv all day

I loved everything but was enthralled with: Material Girl (Album Version) & Video

The song/video that made me a fan forever Material Girl Video and special mention to Live To Tell Video, that made me wonder for the first time wtf is going on, and why am I so attracted to this??? 

My first contact was in 1983 when I heard Holiday.  The song was played a lot on the radio and I remember hearing it among a lot of cheerleading games at school.

Between 1983-85, I loved songs like Burning Up, Lucky Star, Crazy For You and Material Girl. By the time Material Girl was released, I was able to put a name to the face.

By the summer of she was immensely popular.  While Crazy for You was huge, I really became a huge fan of hers with Into The Groove.  The following year, when Live to Tell was released and I saw the video, I was an awe and I became a huge stan. From this point on, I've never looked back.

idk but my first real contact was i think the song Music that was used in some game segment on the Ellen Show and i didnt like it (or so i told myself) cos i was a core Gaga stan at the time.

then it wasnt until Living for Love's music video release that i gave her a real chance and loved the song and video.

after that idk but i do remember listening to the itunes bonus track version of Celebration a lot and playing youtube playlists of her music videos

I’ll Remember cassette single was when I began to deep dive fascinated by Secret Garden

https://www.discogs.com/release/3075426-Madonna-Ill-Remember

I played that tape over and over when my Dad moved out and later took his life (tragic whatever I guess but you didn’t know the guy) and became a big Madonna fan when before I was more a Michael/Janet Jackson kid. Madonna was more “adult” lol Prince wasn’t even in the picture to me again too “adult” haha Prince did Batdance but the other stuff he was on was too sexy at the time

I had the Dick Tracy soundtrack as a kid but I never really listened to it, then I’ll Remember led to Columbia House god bless for CDs of LAP, Erotica Edited, Bedtime Stories and my blooming obsession for hunting for maxi singles, CDs, LPs.

My fam was very 80s Christians and they encouraged mainly white bread rock music and/or religious music so the lady with the burning crosses wasn’t talked about  

First contact (or at least the first time I remember being aware of Madonna and who she was) : Like a Prayer, BUT I can't remember if it was in 1989 when the song came out or in 1990.

First time I started consciously being invested in M as a fan - Truth or Dare premiere, I asked my dad to buy me a magazine on the way back from work because there was a big report about the Cannes premiere with a lot of photos. Dad agreed to take me to cinema to watch Truth or Dare but we were one day late (!!), we decided to go when the movie wasn't playing anymore :sis:

I also remember seeing Dick Tracy in cinema with dad some time before that, but I think we went because of the Dick Tracy character? I could be wrong, it's a bit of a blur.

I remember losing interest in Madonna sometime after that and becoming obsessed with Eurythmics, who just broke up, but I was back on board sometime in 1992 when Erotica came out.

24 minutes ago, androiduser said:

First contact (or at least the first time I remember being aware of Madonna and who she was) : Like a Prayer, BUT I can't remember if it was in 1989 when the song came out or in 1990.

First time I started consciously being invested in M as a fan - Truth or Dare premiere, I asked my dad to buy me a magazine on the way back from work because there was a big report about the Cannes premiere with a lot of photos. Dad agreed to take me to cinema to watch Truth or Dare but we were one day late (!!), we decided to go when the movie wasn't playing anymore :sis:

I also remember seeing Dick Tracy in cinema with dad some time before that, but I think we went because of the Dick Tracy character? I could be wrong, it's a bit of a blur.

I remember losing interest in Madonna sometime after that and becoming obsessed with Eurythmics, who just broke up, but I was back on board sometime in 1992 when Erotica came out.

Joan Collins hates that movie.

For me it was Burning Up on Aussie music program Rage. Was obsessed with this sexy woman rolling around on the road.

Then Aussie music show Countdown (Molly Meldrum hosts) TOTP video for Holiday. Learnt the choreography. And then next Lucky Star video, learnt the choreo.

Did a road trip around Australia with my parents and sister for a couple of months. Bought Madonna on cassette and played it over and over in the car on our travels. My dad really liked the album.

When I was 12 in my last year of primary school Like A Virgin came out. It was huge amongst all us young ones in school. 

Then Material Girl was released and I loved that video and it increased my fandom.

We bought our very first stereo with record player, equaliser, double tape deck and CD player. My first CD was Like A Virgin. Bought it when we got the stereo. Played it endlessly. I remember my first year in high school, my new friends saying see sounded like a man singing Angel :laughing:. I guess in comparison to the rest of the album she did, but I definitely don't hear that at all anymore.

Desperately Seeking Susan was released and I went and saw it at the cinema, and once Into The Groove came on....THAT WAS IT!

Fan for life! Into The Groove no matter where I am, what I'm doing, when I hear it start, it gives those feelings of happiness and excitement, and takes me back to an exciting and wonderful time. Joy!

Madonna brings me nothing but joy. To grow up with her in the 80's was a magical time.

Kids in school were always singing her songs. I still remember a girl Maria singing Causing A Commotion and saying how Madonna just write the catchiest songs and she can do no wrong.

First contact:

I was 8 and my mum had the Holiday 7'  in 1984 - no visual of M

Then:

My mum had the Like A Virgin album - first time seeing her was LAV music video

Mum also bought the Crazy For You single, then True Blue

True Blue music video made me a fan, became a collector with La Isla Bonita and no turning back when You Can Dance was released 2 weeks after my 12th birthday 

First contact the WTGT live broadcast in 1987

I was 8 and I got mad for the Lucky star, Causing a commotion, La isla bonita and Holiday performances especially. A friend of mine videorecorded it and I was at  his place the most I could (poor guy) to watch her show. I started to also love tracks like Papa don't preach, Live to tell, The look of love and Who's that girl on cassettes. I was not a huge fan of the early material back then, today I love her first album and some of the LAV tracks.

Then it all stopped, I did not look for her after a while, untill her comeback with Like a Prayer: the moment I listened to that song for the first time I knew this was not going to stop anymore and all of her work from that era was massive.

Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light, with Like a Prayer, are still my favourite works, the pics of her talent imo and the Girlie Show still makes me proud when I watch pieces of it :cute:

2 hours ago, androiduser said:

oh, Joan and Madonna.... women supporting women.... and younger women making fun of older women.... in the end ageism came to bite both in the ass....

Joan was never the slut she was made out to be.
She's made a career out of pointing out the Hollywood types she said no too.
It's all very Dynasty but supposedly real.
There's an interview thing where her son's spoken to and he describes going to school while Mom was 'The Bitch'.
It was 'the press' comparing certain parts 'coz of some actor.

True blue album on cassette - it must have been early 1987 - my brother ( who is no longer with us -RIP 🥰 ) gave it to me as he didn’t want it and I must have played it to death - then La Isla and who’s that girl singles came out and I started seeing her videos on TOTP and then saw wtg film at the cinema and just loved it - then ciao Italia video came the next year and that’s when I came obsessed with her as seeing her as a live performer ( probably the reason why I love this tour more than any other - please give us something unreleased from this tour M & Warners 🥹 ) the rest is history 🥰🥰 really i I owe it all to my brother ( who also got me into Prince too xx ) 

Late 83/Early 84

Well my fist contact was with seeing Lucky Star on telly at a friends home. First thought was oh what a copy cat of Cyndi Lauper LOL

the music wasn't on very loud and i didn't really pay attention at all as well. You must know that in late 83 early 84 Cyndi lauper was hugh in Europe and Madonna quite unknown. 

May 1984 

A girl from school had a Poster on her paper folder and i LOVED the image and asked her who that was and she said it's Madonna! that's when i first heard the name and i was instanly in love LOL. I then needed to find out who this woman was and i bought the magazine this poster was from. I had to order the LP in the record shop because it was out of stock there but loved it from the minute i heard it. Since then i am a die hard fan. 

I was so lucky to have been a witness of her rise to fame in europe in the 80s and i bet if we would have streaming back then we would have topped taylor swift and co by miles!!!!!! That's how hugh she was!

That's the image that made me a life long fan ;)

1602784964_p05-84-101.jpg.98072a5d637c3c73d6f5d27a7bdc78eb.jpg

First contact (2006):

• Hung (Radio Version) - This song was playing in the radio when my mother used to drive me around in her car. I was 2 years old back then. I loved the song so much that I tried to repeat the lyrics, even though I could barely speak at that age. At the same time, I pointed to the radio. My mother was very confused and didn't know what I meant, but then she realized that I meant the song. So, she bought me my first Madonna CD. It was the album "Confessions on a dance floor."

The DVDs that made me a fan forever (2007 / 2009):

• The Confessions Tour DVD - This was the moment when I wanted to be like Madonna as a little child.
  • Celebration: The Video Collection DVD (Limited Edition Digipak) - This was the DVD I watched the most. I especially loved the music videos Bedtime Story, Beautiful Stranger, What It Feels Like For A Girl, Die Another Day, Love Profusion, Hung Up, 4 Minutes and Celebration.

I had an older cousin who used to introduce me to new music everytime she bought 7''!! I lived in a small french ghetto town and she lived in a bigger city, twas back in 1984. She played me "Holiday" and showed the german 7'' sleeve, told me about the choreos during performances on tv, we played the single most of this day. I had my mother buy me the single and it was done, my life would never be the same again, my doom was sealed and my future finances health were fucked too!!

I was obsessed by this woman, staring at the single sleeve while listening to both sides like a maniac (that album cover at the back got me mesmerized, her stare and attitude on the front cover...), I was 8 at that time, I acted like a demented child, looking at the sleeve day in day out, even got my mum worried... Used to sing the song out loud (badly and with non sense lyrics, I was only 8) all day, bothering my friends, even have tape recording of this, with friends complaining when they recognized the 1st notes. That's how obsessed I was!! Watched her on a french TV show Super Platine but my tv wasn't a colour one so I found out about the colourful quality of this TV performance way later!! I was the only one who knew her in my small french city.

"Borderline" and "Lucky Star" did not have a release in france, "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl" were not as big as in most countries!! When "Into The Groove" got released, it became crazier!! I had another single to play on a roll with my "Holiday" one!

I started collecting from the "True Blue" album and singles and never stopped since...

It’s so nice to hear so many fans from the beginning of time, 1983/84 rules!!! 

I don’t remember what movie or tv show where one of the characters says pre-Madonna and another one corrects him “PRI-Madonna” and the punch line goes: “no, I’m referring to how Madonna came and changed how hard singers had to work after she set the bar”. 

It was such a nice unexpected recognition moment