Sinéad O'Connor, SNL 1992 'WAR'

I was thinking on this for a long time.

In 1992 Sinéad O'Connor after singing a spirited re edition of Bob Marley's song War she just ripped off pope's John Paul II picture. Then, all hell broke loose. I remember as a kid a very distant echo of her act. She did this in order to protest about the fact that the catholic church knew and put a blanket on pedo rapists priests and their actions.

after this revolutionary act, Madonna was envious of this 'publicity' and decided to mock her protest openly my doing this:

which to me shows that all her revolutionary' talk was just that, words. She did everything to attract notoriety in the beggining of her career and then courted more fuel for controversy by releasing LAP in a well syncronised campaign by her company that led to the Pepsi fiasco. She gained millions. O' Conor was an original, a survivor. Madonna was just shalow and cheap.

I had to say that.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, into the erotico said:

She did everything to attract notoriety in the beggining of her career and then courted more fuel for controversy by releasing LAP in a well syncronised campaign by her company that led to the Pepsi fiasco. She gained millions. O' Conor was an original, a survivor. Madonna was just shalow and cheap.

I had to say that.

I... :Madonna050::Madonna048::Madonna047:

It sounds like you have a lot of anger and mixed feelings towards Madonna for "reasons". You should take some time and figure out what the hell this is before opening a topic with your "facts". (Let alone the fact that a woman's death triggered you to throw Madonna hate, I MEAN-).

While I don’t agree with what Madonna said at that time I think as others have said this was a very long time ago. It’s very likely Madonna thinks differently about this now.

It is also very easy for us to judge this situation in hindsight. In reality, Madonna’s views echoed the wide majority of the media and public at that time. It’s not like Madonna was the one person jumping on Sinead and criticizing her. What she said was general consensus. Views have changed a lot since then. To give Madonna a hard time about it now is a bit silly. It’s one of the very rare situations Madonna didn’t defend the underdog.

I've had this conversation with myself for many years but never dared to think Madonna's way to attract notoriety was shallow or cheap. Madonna's a very smart person... but that doesn't mean she can't fuck it up from time to time. She's a human being after all.

Anyway, SNL has never been a serious show either so why holding it against Madonna after so many years. She's learnt to embrace and support other female peers in the last couple of decades.

Finally, Madonna paid homage both to Prince and Sinéad when she sang Nothing Compares 2 U in 2016... Although she did keep the original lyrics intact, we all know the instrumentation and backdrop were based on Sinéad's output.

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

Whatever the reasons for Madonna's misguided response, the idea that in 92/93 she was somehow "envious" of the publicity surrounding Sinead's SNL bit is laughable. 

THANKYOU! While Madonna's response hasn't aged well, it was poking fun more at Joey Buttafuoco than Sinead. Mind you, there was a 4 month gap between the 2 performances.

1 hour ago, into the erotico said:

In 1992 Sinéad O'Connor after singing a spirited re edition of Bob Marley's song War she just ripped off pope's John Paul II picture. Then, all hell broke loose. I remember as a kid a very distant echo of her act. She did this in order to protest about the fact that the catholic church knew and put a blanket on pedo rapists priests and their actions.

after this revolutionary act, Madonna was envious of this 'publicity' and decided to mock her protest openly my doing this:

which to me shows that all her revolutionary' talk was just that, words. She did everything to attract notoriety in the beggining of her career and then courted more fuel for controversy by releasing LAP in a well syncronised campaign by her company that led to the Pepsi fiasco. She gained millions. O' Conor was an original, a survivor. Madonna was just shalow and cheap.

I had to say that.

And you dare to say all of this hatred and full on lies weeks after we almost lost her?

you should be ashamed of yourself.

4 hours ago, into the erotico said:

I had to say that.

No she wasn't.

Madonna wasn't going after Sinead. There's already been a discussion about this on this forum. We need to find it because it made perfectly clear as why this M skit in the context had much more meaning than what you think.

That's very wrong.

And it's very sad for Sinead that the only way you would think of her is finding a way to bring M down in the process.

5 hours ago, proxy said:

Bitch go somwhere esle with this toxic bullshit and negativity, Madonna didn't mock Sinead, she disagree with her about ripping off picture of JPII, Madonna said there was other way's to protest, that's all. I think you should be banned from this forum for spreading bullshit and hate toward Madonna!!! 

Agree with everything you said. Sinhead did nothing revolutionary unless being reductive and reactive is considered revolutionary these days.

edit: I don’t believe in banning anyone necessarily. And I respect that many people like that singer and think that she’s revolutionary. - It’s only my own opinion that while Sinhead was on this earth that her commercial releases and appearances were quite vapid, reductive and reactive and very much non-revolutionary. It doesn’t mean that my opinion is the end-all truth. It’s just an opinion limited my my own experience in this world. May Sinhead’s soul elevate higher and higher and higher. Love and light to her and her fans.

4 hours ago, proxy said:

Imagine saying that Madonna, that was a victim of a rape herself, that literally make it on her own in NY, a woman that is constantly bullying by media and as we can see by some of her "fans", is not a survivor, like wtf  :Madonna051:

Agreed

The whole thread should be locked

This user is bringing unnecessary problem into things that don't need it 

I always saw Madonna's response more like a way of supporting Sinéad in M's own quirky and ironic way than making fun of her. Like saying to people "it's not that deep, get over it". Her reaction to Janet's nipplegate was similar, like "it's not that important, get over it".

Also, could be part of an already written SNL script and Madonna just went with it.

It's been 30 years anyway. People change. And we all make mistakes or things that we would do different now.