Just a thought about Mirwais

Redha DBL

you cant start threads about topics and not expect people to agree with everything you say - we should all accept that and stop bitching at each other

on a separate note i think he is ok as a producer but some of his productions ( American Life, Impressive Instant, Mother & father) are just garbage and make my ears bleed - at least he gave M her last big number 1 in the USA - i always felt she just held on to him too long though - should have gone on another direction with AL and i have no idea why she teamed up with him again for MX - love him or hate him - its all good xx

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

There's a difference between understanding a point of view and agreeing with it. I understand the points of view but nothing i have read made me wanna change mine.

But it's not about a point of view when you're backing that up with a fact - that Mirwais' only hit with Madonna was "Music" - that isn't entirely correct. "Don't Tell Me" was huge at the time too, whether you feel like it was or not, and "Die Another Day" did amazing too.

And I think that's all people were saying. Mixing in between the discussion if it was about commercial success or art itself, two different things.

But as you said, you knew the topic would cause a commotion, right? :smile: So you got what you wanted in the end and we got to talk about charts from more than 20 years ago. :cute:

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

But it's not about a point of view when you're backing that up with a fact (that Mirwais only hit with Madonna was "Music") that isn't entirely correct. "Don't Tell Me" was huge at the time too, whether you feel like it was or not, and "Die Another Day" did amazing too.

And I think that's all people were saying. Mixing in between the discussion if it was about commercial success or art itself, two different things.

But as you said, you knew the topic would cause a commotion, right? :smile:

Opposites attracks you'll see 😎

I knowwww he gave her the Cowgirl follow up to Music and the neat Die Another day (thank God that track was the OST of a James Bond and had a brilliant video) but this out of 30 tracks ? Really ? That's not what i have signed for, fired.

8 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

Can we bitch about Diplo next because he is literally untalented

Oh my goodness we must be twins separated at birth !! Diplo ! I forgot about him ! You've just managed to make me love Mirwais by mentionning Diplo ! 

Ok guys, we change the direction of the thread right now and all open fire on Diplo. 

For my part, in all honesty, i cannot listen to one single song he has produced for Madonna. Yes, i'm not even kidding. 

Unimpressed Coffee GIF

No I think Mirwais is brilliant think his tracks on Music are fantastic and American Life too even if a bit sparse and bare sounding and his work on Confessions too the demo versions before Stuart Price remixed them was brilliant - Future Lovers, Let It Will Be and the demos Triggering, Superpop and I think Fighting Spirit and all of the better tracks on Madame X were his ones. 

2 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

Opposites attracks you'll see 😎

I knowwww he gave her the Cowgirl follow up to Music and the neat Die Another day (thank God that track was the OST of a James Bond and had a brilliant video) but this out of 30 tracks ? Really ? That's not what i have signed for, fired.

I do not mean it wrong, but unless I cannot catch something here, at this point, I am generally confused why you are mentioning 30 tracks. Most of these tracks were only album tracks, not singles so they did not even had a chance of being "big", how can you keep saying they were not successful or hits, based on what criteria? It doesn't make any logical sense to me. 

Out of the singles, they produced together: Music was literally massive, Don't Tell Me did good as well, Die Another Day was solid hit, too according to charts. 

AL singles flopped, but that's it. I don't know what other circa 20 album tracks has anything to do with your constantly repeating argument that they made 30 songs together. Based on this logic, she made many tracks with Patrick Leonard and a lot of them were not hits as well (Till death do as part, Love makes the world go round etc) 

At the end of the day, if you don't like what the assigned producer delivered from the sessions, your problem essentially lies with Madonna's choice of whom she selected as a conduit for her artist expression. An artist has a goal in mind when selecting a producer and Madonna is no different. She succeeded in crafting the record she envisioned with those she handpicked for the job. 

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

Bro.... his sound was unheard of in 2000, especially on the radio. Die Another Day has got to be the strangest Bond song of all time. It's really easy to look back at music from the early 2000's and judge it after we have gone through TWENTY THREE YEARS  of electronic music in mainstream music. His unconventional sounds, manipulation of sounds, stuttering, extreme portamento, vocoder, production minimalism, blend of acoustic and techno.... So many things that have made their way into mainstream music.  Most notably formant shifting as featured in Hollywood (Push the button, don't push the button) which now is a REQUIREMENT in modern pop vocal production. He has the ability to make synths feel like living breathing things. They arent just notes pressed on a keyboard, they evolve and transform and move through sonic space

100%. Plus, if "Music" dropped today it would still sound like nothing else on the radio. 

1 hour ago, Voguerista said:

@Redha DBLI think it’s great you started this thread. Just like a town square,  I love dissecting artists …and it’s ok to agree or disagree on things (something this world lacks a lot of these days). 

Just throwing this out there (to chew on).  They also hung people in  "Town Squares"  especially for being different, non-compliant or for dissent. 

shutterstock_701554054.jpg

1 hour ago, Voguerista said:

@Redha DBLI think it’s great you started this thread. Just like a town square,  I love dissecting artists …and it’s ok to agree or disagree on things (something this world lacks a lot of these days). 

Thanks for your support. I knew when opening this thread i would have a lot of fans against me but i hadn't imagined i would be alone thinking that way but that's ok. It must be my most unpopular opinion ever !

Mirwais is incredible - as mentioned previously - his work in the late 90s/early 00's was unheard of mainstream - he pioneered so many techniques that are now mainstrean. 

Hollywood he literally auto tuned almost every second of her vocal (in an interview he talked about this).

Y.A.S Arabology - was another pioneering album - an electronic dance album in so many different arabic languages.

We also need to accept that a sound is not only something the producer produces but what an artist wants - i.e. Madonna drives the sound. It is also something that is subjective - which does not inherently mean that a producer is terrible because someone isn't a fan of their sound as someone else will love it.

9 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

Well, that just confirm my thoughts. This looooong list of tracks and only one real success... this is my opinion and i knew i would probably be the only one thinking that way among her all fanbase where Mirwais is like a God producer but that's ok, i'm used to it. I usually think differently than the majority and i don't do it on purpose, i probably come from a strange planet 😂

I don’t think a chart hit is always the merit of success. It just means it’s popular. A lot of the songs she did with Mirwais are brilliant yet were never singles and never would have charted. Paradise and Impressive Instant are imo two of her best songs.

If all Madonna ever did was aim to get chart hits I don’t think I’d be such a big fan. It’s actually one of the reasons her output hasn’t been as strong. Too many cookie cutter songs and feature guests. Madame X would have been better if it was just Mirwais.

I agree with all the love shown for Mirwais he’s amazing

Medellin and God Control are on par with his best previous work, one was misunderstood because people were expecting reggaeton and it wasn’t and the other controversial lyrics, but in another time and era they could have been massive