The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

7 minutes ago, drivebitch said:

Does anyone else think that her costumes for this were terrible? Totally below her standards and forgettable. Who was responsible for them? Wasn’t Gaultier contributing?

I like the Erotica nighty costume. The hair for the Vogue section is really good, I like the outfit too. The metallic outfit is cool too. I don't like the first section outfit but I understand its supposed to be grungy early NYC attire.

30 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

Agree. There were some really strange, jarring moments- for me the most bizarre was when it suddenly went from Human Nature to Crazy For You. But overall I think the selection was good. Just maybe rearrange a little.

I just really hope Rain, Bedtime Story and especially Bad Girl are permanent and don’t get rotated w/other songs.

It’s be cute if she inserted Frozen after Rain maybe. That was the one omission I felt the most. More than Material Girl or Express Yourself.

I hope Bad Girl is always there too. If it relies solely on having Mercy at the Piano, I do wonder if it was meant to be permanent or not. I assume she isn't going to be playing all shows???

Maybe someone else will play the piano in her place.

30 minutes ago, DiegoLCL said:

My two centes about the show and how it narrates her career/life.

"Nothing Really Matters", "Everybody", "Into the Hollywood Groove", "Burning Up", "Open Your Heart", "Holiday"  the first part of the 80s, a joyful and celebratory pop.

Then late 80s with "Live to Tell" and how the AIDS crisis made her lose people and how it affected her life, culminating in her questioning things and the development of her work and rebellion against religion/patriarchy: "Like a Prayer"/"Unholy”/"Act of Contrition".

Then the  sexual and queer defiance of her work in 90s with, "Erotica", "Justify My Love"/"Fever" (Medley), "Hung Up on Tokischa"/"Hung Up" (Medley), "Bad Girl", "Vogue", "Human Nature".

"Crazy for You"  how it all comes down to love after all the controversy (or you could see it as how she re-invented herself as a ballad singer in the mid 90s to "save her career" if you're cynical lol). "Die Another Day", "Don’t Tell Me" is her drive to keep her head up and keep going no matter what. "Mother and Father", 'La Isla Bonita", "Argentina". about her wounds from the loss of her mother and how important it was to make Evita and how it ended up closing a circle with her becoming a mother there. 

"Bedtime Story", "Ray of Light", "Rain" her rebirth and spiritual awakening after Lola which culminated in ROL and gave a twist , a revival, survival to her career. 

"Bitch I’m Madonna"/"Give Me All Your Luvin'" (Medley) , "Celebration"/"Music" (Medley) is where she is now, being the baddest bitch who refuses to go away and to live up to people's expectations.

madonna shut up GIF

Makes me wonder if the rumours about the biopic ending with Evita/ birth of Lola/ROL with a little epilogue and her shaking her current cakes to Celebration over the credits were true.

1 minute ago, Voguerista said:

Wow! Mercy on the piano.  This is going to set her up to be a professional piano player! 

I still can't get over that barely a peep from the crowd when she is singing fucking BAD GIRL!!!! C'mon no one?

And yes Mercy is a beautiful pianist. Hope if that's what she wants she'll have it. 

8 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Wow! Mercy on the piano.  This is going to set her up to be a professional piano player! 

This will probably go down as my fav moment in the whole show.  Just always always loved this fucking song.  I think I even said in the other rehearsal thread. she should just do this one with her,  a piano, and not much else…. This is just perfect…. And oh my yes — Mercy has a nice touch on the keyboard..

PS — I think the crowd is silent as they are just enjoying the performance.  I had it when everybody else sings along.

1 hour ago, dankpepe said:

I understand the critique but she is getting older and with every tour, she is going to move slower. She hasn't been in the physical shape she used to be in.

The "story" does seem loose but I see it more of a career celebration type of show that's sort of patched together. It does seem like this show has undergone changes for whatever reason (i.e. illness, time constraints, maybe seeing Beyonce's show made her reconsider things, lack of an actual band, whatever).

I see areas in the show which I bet will allow wiggle room for changes in the setlist. I could easily see Frozen, Ghosttown, maybe even Hold Tight and Rain swapping places on some nights. I could see Oh Father and Mother and Father changing places too.

I completely understand that Madonna's physical shape has gotten worse over the years, and I'm not criticizing her for that. Her physique still looks impressive, better than how it looked in Madame X... and I respect that she might be stiff now and can't dance properly. My critique is more about the creative choices made for this tour. Some of the choreography seemed subpar at times, and it wasn't just about the level of difficulty.

Additionally, the musical preparation seemed somewhat lacking. There were moments like Burning Up that didn't come across well, even with technical issues aside. Playing the guitar without a live band made the performance feel somewhat artificial. And she was put of time too...

On a different note, my friend did mention that Madonna had rehearsed Ghosttown, so there's a chance she might include it in some shows. However, without a live band, surprising song choices might be less likely. Regardless, I hope the tour evolves positively in the upcoming stops

I should really go to bed because I'm terribly sleep-deprived and my antipsychotics are starting to kick in making me feel a bit woozy BUT I just listened to the Bad Girl performance and it's quite heartbreaking how differently those words hit now following her self-destructive behaviour these past few years AND her near-death experience with her children by her side...

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)