The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

19 minutes ago, Prayer said:

This is cute:

The amount of great songs we've got with this tour. God, I love her.

Question is that ALL THESE SONGS HAVE A MEANING TO HER (once screaming, always screaming, can't help myself). All these songs, TOGETHER AND IN THAT EXACT ORDER, tell THE STORY OF HER LIFE. She could've gladly to present all songs she eventually rehearsed before and after the rebirth but, besides such endeavour being beyond fatigueé, the songs she scrapped wouldn't do any favour to herstory as the ones who did the cut do.

And about them, 

So, irrespectively of charts, these songs - even and esp Mother and Father and Burning Up - are ACTUAL NUMBER ONES TO M.

They really do in context live, with the dancers featured on stage the nods to finding /reeding each other in m&f, the periods in her life before. The only only out of place really is Vogue but there's so much going it probably had clues to why it was there I didnt pick up on it.  

19 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

I haven’t been to the concert. But I don’t see how the tracks themselves tell any sort of story in the order that they are performed. 

the song order itself doesn't tell the story, but together with the choreographies, videos, iunterludes, spoken introductions, narrating etc, it tells the story much more clearly. And it's much easier to understand seeing it in person than watching the youtube videos.

I will make a separate topic about the narration in the tour.

23 minutes ago, Honey Little said:

I haven’t been to the concert. But I don’t see how the tracks themselves tell any sort of story in the order that they are performed. 

It tells a story when combined with the visuals based on the setlist. For instance:

Nothing Really Matters - Madonna in present time looking back on her life

*Screens count back from 2023 to 1982* - Everybody - this is the start of Madonna's career
Into the Groove - her making it in NYC getting into the groove of things
Burning Up - her early days when she was finding her sound
Open Your Heart - the lyrics have always been about working hard and getting people to love you
Holiday - she's finally made it and is celebrating but her friends die of AIDS
Live to Tell - paying tribute to the friends she lost from AIDS
Like a Prayer - questioning her faith based upon what has just happened

*Screens introduce us to the 90s*, then you get the idea

10 minutes ago, dankpepe said:

It tells a story when combined with the visuals based on the setlist. For instance:

Nothing Really Matters - Madonna in present time looking back on her life

*Screens count back from 2023 to 1982* - Everybody - this is the start of Madonna's career
Into the Groove - her making it in NYC getting into the groove of things
Burning Up - her early days when she was finding her sound
Open Your Heart - the lyrics have always been about working hard and getting people to love you
Holiday - she's finally made it and is celebrating but her friends die of AIDS
Live to Tell - paying tribute to the friends she lost from AIDS
Like a Prayer - questioning her faith based upon what has just happened

*Screens introduce us to the 90s*, then you get the idea

This is an amazing explanation. Please finish it.

1 hour ago, dankpepe said:

*Screens introduce us to the 90s*, Erotica - Madonna is fighting back against those who say she couldn't be overtly sexual in the early 90s
Justify My Love - a continuation of that theme
{now this is my own interpretation} Hung Up - Madonna is seeking someone to have a child with because her biological clock is ticking at this point in her career
Bad Girl - she's sorry for hurting lovers / being "bad"
Vogue - she finds new life in the gay scene of the 90s
Human Nature - she's not sorry for being herself
Crazy for You - she's crazy about that inner devil inside of her

The Beast Within - this is about pregnancy and giving birth to something new; she got pregnant from the last section

Die Another Day - her career rebounds after the sex backlash
Don't Tell Me - she won't stop her career
Mother & Father - she reflects on her mother and now that she's a mom
I Will Survive - continuing the theme of survival in her career
La Isla Bonita - she's inspired by Latino culture while trying for the role of Evita
Don't Cry for Me Argentina - she finally lands the role of Evita which changes her career

Bedtime Story - she finds a new awakening in dance music (we're at about the late 90s / early 2000s of her career thematically)
Ray of Light - she finds spirtuality
Rain - after all the sorrow that has happened in her life / career she has finally rebounded and can enjoy the sun

Like a Virgin - its just a silhouette of her without showing her face because if you recall during Holiday, they didn't even know her name, she was a nobody. Now you don't even need to say her name, she has achieved fame as the Queen of Pop, next to the King of Pop. Since the King has died, in royalty, the Queen now takes over

Bitch I'm Madonna - basically she's Madonna and there's no one else like her

Thank you again. Super insightful 

1 hour ago, dankpepe said:

*Screens introduce us to the 90s*, Erotica - Madonna is fighting back against those who say she couldn't be overtly sexual in the early 90s
{now this is my own interpretation} Hung Up - Madonna is seeking someone to have a child with because her biological clock is ticking at this point in her career

The Beast Within - this is about pregnancy and giving birth to something new; she got pregnant from the last section

La Isla Bonita - she's inspired by Latino culture while trying for the role of Evita
Don't Cry for Me Argentina - she finally lands the role of Evita which changes her career

Bedtime Story - she finds a new awakening in dance music (we're at about the late 90s / early 2000s of her career thematically)
Ray of Light - she finds spirtuality
Rain - after all the sorrow that has happened in her life / career she has finally rebounded and can enjoy the sun

Like a Virgin - its just a silhouette of her without showing her face because if you recall during Holiday, they didn't even know her name, she was a nobody. Now you don't even need to say her name, she has achieved fame as the Queen of Pop, next to the King of Pop. Since the King has died, in royalty, the Queen now takes over

I Have a different interpretation

Erotica: Shes fighting against sexism, vbring sexual hence the boxers

Justify: Even though she is dissaproved (papa dont prrach) the public cant stop watching her 

hung up: party 90s and her lesbians expertimentarion/lovers

bad girl : shes a bad girl and feels sad despite being so strong

Vogue: Gay culture continues to survive in the 90s she celebrates her lgbtq fans

human nature: police/critics comes to her

crazy for you: shes crazy for the public/her fans

Beast within: We are now in the 2000s. millenium bug, prophecys the world was ending

Die another day: she find kabbalah/ not die spiritually

Dont tell ne : her horse accident she didnt die nor stop

Mother and father: dedicated to her children

Ill survive: she survives coz of her children

La isla Bonita: Davids favorite song. a lullaby to him

dont cry for me argentina: A celebration of her actvism through her career and other freedom fighters

I dont search i find: The world is obbsesed with madonna and who she is

Bedtime story: Madonna ( as an media figure) will live forever, she is in the metaverse and is a "robot"

Ray Of light: Madonan thrives in the future

Rain: Madonna faces her own mortality

Like A Virgin: Madonna tributes her carrer and mj

Bitch Im madonna: Current madonna celebrates all her versions

6 hours ago, dankpepe said:

I had a very different interpretation of this segment.

To me Erotica, JML and Hung Up were all about her exploration and expression of her own sexuality through her work. Vogue is directly relating to her support of the Queer community, (you see that on the screens at one point.) and the whole performance is an homage to queer culture. She is arrested and taken away for both of these crimes leading to Human Nature and the whole backlash period. She faces her self during Crazy for You, essentially expressing love and appreciation to her rebellious “I’m not sorry” self from those years.

The Beast Within represents damnation to hell as there is the lake of fire, the song quotes the bible etc. I think this is reflective of the guilt she still carries from her Catholic upbringing.

Die Another Day is her discovery of Kabbalah and I think that’s pretty clear with the imagery that is incorporated into that performance, not to mention the lyrics of the song itself are all Kabbalah related.

33 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

To me Erotica, JML and Hung Up were all about her exploration and expression of her own sexuality through her work. Vogue is directly relating to her support of the Queer community, (you see that on the screens at one point.) and the whole performance is an homage to queer culture. She is arrested and taken away for both of these crimes leading to Human Nature and the whole backlash period. She faces her self during Crazy for You, essentially expressing love and appreciation to her rebellious “I’m not sorry” self from those years.

The Beast Within represents damnation to hell as there is the lake of fire, the song quotes the bible etc. I think this is reflective of the guilt she still carries from her Catholic upbringing.

Die Another Day is her discovery of Kabbalah and I think that’s pretty clear with the imagery that is incorporated into that performance, not to mention the lyrics of the song itself are all Kabbalah related.

Amazing and thoughful posts all of them! Bravo!

8 hours ago, dankpepe said:

can enjoy the sun

Leaving out the bridge "Here comes the sun..." makes this meaning so empty to me though - unless the sun is the ending which is Celebration. But then I don't see how that silhouette Like A Virgin part fits in between. I get she needs to do a costume change... but an extended Rain ending like the Girlie Show, to me, would have been more effective. So many questions lol

10 hours ago, dankpepe said:

Ray of Light - she finds spirituality

Okay, this is the best I've seen. I like this. And maybe "you're love's coming down like Rain" is referring to the public's love, as she feel like she got into a better space with the world's reception

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Definitely agree with this interpretation, except for The beast within, where she cleverly uses the message and the metaphore of the beast and the universal judjement in the Bible words to reflect on the evil and the present world phase imo (the artistic references are American Life and ReInvention mostly imo): what is the beast in the actual world? What is evil, the evil many of us sell their lives to, without even knowing it? And it's got a connection with the lack of empathy and love, the excess of personal interest over a more communal feeling wich easily takes to judjment, wars and divisions. God is love, is sharing and support.

"Behold the dwelling of God is with men
He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people
And God himself will be with them
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes
And death shall be no more
Neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore
For these things will have passed away

To the thirsty I will give water without price
From the fountain of the water of life
He who conquers shall have this heritage
And I will be his God and he shall be my son.

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted
As for the murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars
Their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire
"

One more thing, I don't see a step by step narrative in the show, I mean, I don't feel that every song is a specific aspect or passage of her life/career, It's more about a flow imo.

NRM is the main message, in terms of content (love is all we need) and visuals (I created this shit, I'm like a pop goddess), then the 80s are told as her early NYC suburbs, clubs, fun and artistic experimentations life wich was shadowed by the AIDS pandemic (LTT) wich made her definitely question herself about the implications of the way people used their religious beliefs to condamn and judge who got ill, giving them a moral responsability for their illness (LAP). So the whole sexual thing, wich was the same root of the male chauvinism culture, became the core of her interest and she once again just explores her sexual imaginary, frm JML to Hard Candy. She pays her tribute to the queer community then (V), showing again the way the judjmental culture punished her as the gay community (HN-CFY) as (TBW) many other forms of belief and expression wich are not the white, rich, capitalist ones. The third and fourth sets are based on the same kind of passage in different perspective, the more intimate one first (the spiritual awakening - DAD, the overcoming of her loneliness being a mother, wich helped her to overcome the void of her mother's loss - MAF is clear about that imo: she sings going to David "I got to give it up, find someone to love me. I got to let it go, find someone that I can care for."), and the more artistic one later (the electro sound, the ribirth of her success and, yes I do agree, with Rain a big uplifting moment to close the arch). The finale (IDSIF - the only part dedicated to her mediatic fame, wich is interesting, considering she is just a fame addicted by many -LAV and BIM) is all about the Celebration of her icon status. 

I see everything flowing perfectly to be honest and I can't stop appreciating the synthesis she was able to percieve when it comes to gain so many references, often more than one era is contemplated in the same performance. This is a real bequest, that's the answer if anybody should ever ask "What did Madonna do? Wasn't she just a famous pop singer?"

love how M always put herself in her songs..... listen to them you can know everything.... or a big part of her.... the people she love or loved, the god she pray.... how hard is with herself......

Every night before I close my eyes
I say a little prayer that you'll have mercy on me
Please dear God, to live inside the divine
Not like I want to die
Teach me to forgive myself, outlive this hell

Is it really love if it hurts?
Is it really pain if it's inside?

On the outside I'm strong
Hold my hand, please, sympathize
Hard enough trying to forgive
Hard enough trying to live
Please don't criticize (yeah)
Please, please, sympathise (yeah)

Somebody to teach me to love
Somebody to help me rise above
I need to survive

I'm looking for, looking for, looking for mercy
Looking for, looking for, looking for mercy
I'm looking for, looking for, looking for love

Every night before I close my eyes
I say a little prayer that you'll have mercy on me
Please dear God, to live inside the divine
Not like I want to die
Teach me to forgive myself, outlive this hell

Is it really faith if I'm wake?
Can you tell the truth when you live lies?
I'm just looking for the signs
Hold my hand, please, sympathize

Hard enough trying to forgive
Hard enough trying to live
Flawed, flawed by design (yeah)
Please, please, sympathize (yeah)

I need to survive

I'm looking for, looking for, looking for
(Looking for, looking for, looking for)

I'm looking for, looking for, looking for love
I'm looking for, I'm looking for, mercy

I need to survive
I'm looking for

I'm looking for, I'm looking for, looking for love

(Looking for, looking for, looking for mercy)
I'm looking for, I'm looking for, looking for love

I'm looking for, I'm looking for, looking for mercy

this, one of the last song of her one of my fav .... tell us a lot.....

another one of my fav....

Someone say  G**y R****e?

You had all of me, you wanted more
Would you have married me if I were poor
Yes, if I was your treasury
You'd have found a time to treasure me

How come you can't see
All that you need
Is right here with me

Up Until the end
All this pretend
Wasn't for free

Hold me like your money
Tell me that you want me
Spend your love on me
Spend your love on me
Now you have your money
Spend it 'til there's nothing
Spend your love on me
Spend your love on me

If we opened up a joint account
Would it put an end to all your doubt
Frankly if my name was Benjamin
We wouldn't be in the mess we're in

You played with my heart
'till death do we part
That's what you said
Now you have your fast cars
Women and bars
It's gone to your head

Hold me like your money
Tell me that you want me
Spend your love on me
Spend your love on me
Love me like your money
Spend it 'til there's nothing
Spend your love on me
Spend your love on me

Spend your love on me

I want you to take me
Like you took your money
Take me in your arms
Until your last breath

I want you to hold me
Like you hold your money
Hold on to it
'Till there's nothing left

Love spent
Feeling love spent
Yeah, I'm love spent
Wondering where the love went
Love spent
Yeah I'm love spent
Really love spent
Wondering where it all went

I want you to take me
Like you took your money
Take me in your arms
Until your last breath

I want you to hold me
Like you hold your money
Hold me in your arms
Until there's nothing left (nothing left, nothing left)

Love spent
Feeling love spent
Yeah, I'm love spent
Wondering where the love went
Love spent
Yeah I'm love spent
Really love spent
Wondering where it all went

I want you to take me
Like you took your money
Take me in your arms
Until your last breath

I want you to hold me
Like you hold your money
Hold me in your arms
Until there's nothing left (nothing left, nothing left)

very clear .... right? Someone who love more the money and the fame than her.....

again, in this song...... wow she is very very honest...... and from someone so famous, powerful and in front of everyone... its always incredible when she is so open and vulnerable..... probably my fav M 

Cut me down the middle
Fucked me up a little
You said I was your queen
I tried to give you everything
And now you want your freedom

You got just what you came for
A bit of fame and fortune
I'm no longer needed

You said it was over
Wanted it to end
Then you had the nerve to say
That we could still be friends

You had a few secrets
I was never told
Now everyone's talking
And I'm the last to know

Now I'm in the middle of heartbreak city
'Cause I'm in the middle of a world not pretty
Your clever game got the best of me
But you ain't gonna get the rest of me
'Cause I'm in heartbreak city

You tore me into pieces
You didn't have no damn reason
I let you in my house
You helped yourself to everything
And left me with your mess

I curse the day we met
The memory is haunting me
I wish I could forget

You said it was over
Wanted it to end
Then you had the nerve to say
That we could still be friends

You had a few secrets
I was never told
Now everyone's talking
And I'm the last to know

I'm in the middle of heartbreak city
Now I'm in the middle of a world not pretty

Your clever game got the best of me
But you ain't gonna get the rest of me
'Cause I'm in heartbreak city
And it's not that pretty

how honest is that song? 

and this one is when she take her crown back... 

First you love me, and I let you in
Made me feel like I was born again
You empowered me, you made me strong
Built me up, and I can do no wrong

I let down my guard
I fell into your arms
Forgot who I was
I didn't hear the alarms

Now I'm down on my knees
Alone in the dark
I was blind to your game
You fired a shot in my heart

Took me to heaven and let me fall down
Now that it's over
I'm gonna carry on
Lifted me up, and watched me stumble
After the heartache
I'm gonna carry on

Living for love
I'm living for love
I'm not giving up
I'm gonna carry on

Living for love
I'm living for love
Not gonna stop
'Cause love's gonna lift me up

Love's gonna lift me up
(Love)
(Lift me up)

I could get caught up in bitterness
But I'm not dwelling on this crazy mess (Ooh, yes)
I found freedom in the ugly truth
I deserve the best and it's not you
You've broken my heart
But you can't break me down (Come on)
Not falling apart, once was lost, now I've been found
Picked up my crown, put it back on my head
I can forgive, but I will never forget

Took me to heaven and let me fall down
Now that it's over
I'm gonna carry on
Lifted me up, and watched me stumble
After the heartache
I'm gonna carry on

Living for love
I'm living for love
I'm not giving up
I'm gonna carry on

Living for love
I'm living for love
Not gonna stop

Love's gonna lift me up
(Love)
(Lift me up)
Love's gonna lift me up (Lift me up, lift me up, lift me up)

'Cause love's gonna lift me up, up, up, up
Lord lift me up, up, up, up
'Cause love's gonna lift me up, up, up, up
Love's gonna lift me up (Gonna lift me up)

Living for love
Living for love
I'm not giving up
I'm gonna carry on
Living for love
I'm living for love
Not gonna stop!