The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

On 4/25/2024 at 3:44 PM, eXtremeOccident said:

Agreed. I think there are higher highs on other tours for sure, but this is the best Madonna show overall of any of her's I've seen, Confessions-onwards (though I missed S&S). I do think there are faults for sure (it's egregious that she left out Music and Like a Virgin lol...and *that* ending), but she should be damn proud of this show.

I will say that I think it's her best entrance of all her tours. It's such a different approach to opening her shows, and having her just appear out of nowhere almost instantly after Bob is so epic. 

It has so many 'easter eggs'!

On 4/25/2024 at 3:44 PM, eXtremeOccident said:

Agreed. I think there are higher highs on other tours for sure, but this is the best Madonna show overall of any of her's I've seen, Confessions-onwards (though I missed S&S). I do think there are faults for sure (it's egregious that she left out Music and Like a Virgin lol...and *that* ending), but she should be damn proud of this show.

I will say that I think it's her best entrance of all her tours. It's such a different approach to opening her shows, and having her just appear out of nowhere almost instantly after Bob is so epic. 

It has so many 'easter eggs'!

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Yes a few songs in Mexico seemed to be lipped to pre-recorded vocals as far as I can tell, probably to be able to show more energy on the video release. This happened for the Sticky and Sweet Tour as well. A possibility is that it will help her protect her voice for the Rio broadcast coming next week.

I didn't analyse all the mexico shows yet, but from all the snippets I saw, it seems that Eveybody was fully lipped, as was Into the Groove and Ray of Light. The breath control gives it away. Mother and Father was also partly lipped from what I could tell, it is pretty noticeable during the last section of the song.

I really don't mind it though, she sang the show almost fully live during the entirety of the tour, and this will make she show look slightly more energic on the DVD, which i prefer than redubbed vocals on post-production. These new vocals also sound really good.

That last bit of Mother nd father does indeed sounds lipped at this Mexico date, that part " i got to give ut up " 

But why, that part was  live all the other dates before .... 

I'm not gonna lie, that fake long note at the end looks absolutely ridiculous. However, it sounds better than every other show. To be honest, the musical director should have had the balls to say to her that her performance of that part doesn't work and offer a better solution musically than either murder it or use playback that doesnt even sound like her voice in her prime.

Into The Groove also sounds far better, like the prerecorded vocals she used for the first verse in 2008. However I'd still personally take bad vocals or average vocals over pre recorded excellent ones. That's just me, I appreciate the live stuff and never really enjoy the mimed stuff. However, with it being the last few shows of the tour I don't mind! They'll likely use rehearsal audios for the release anyway, and just be using a mime track here for the energy.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Yes a few songs in Mexico seemed to be lipped to pre-recorded vocals as far as I can tell, probably to be able to show more energy on the video release. This happened for the Sticky and Sweet Tour as well. A possibility is that it will help her protect her voice for the Rio broadcast coming next week.

I didn't analyse all the mexico shows yet, but from all the snippets I saw, it seems that Eveybody was fully lipped, as was Into the Groove and Ray of Light. The breath control gives it away. Mother and Father was also partly lipped from what I could tell, it is pretty noticeable during the last section of the song.

I really don't mind it though, she sang the show almost fully live during the entirety of the tour, and this will make she show look slightly more energic on the DVD, which i prefer than redubbed vocals on post-production. These new vocals also sound really good.

Sorry for the quote again lol..

Ray of light im not sure about, seems like she sang to late in the 2nd verse at this Mexico date. So im not sure it was lipped in Mexico..

4 minutes ago, scion said:

I'm not gonna lie, that fake long note at the end looks absolutely ridiculous. However, it sounds better than every other show. To be honest, the musical director should have had the balls to say to her that her performance of that part doesn't work and offer a better solution musically than either murder it or use playback that doesnt even sound like her voice in her prime.

Into The Groove also sounds far better, like the prerecorded vocals she used for the first verse in 2008. However I'd still personally take bad vocals or average vocals over pre recorded excellent ones. That's just me, I appreciate the live stuff and never really enjoy the mimed stuff. However, with it being the last few shows of the tour I don't mind! They'll likely use rehearsal audios for the release anyway, and just be using a mime track here for the energy.

Thanks. I really didn’t know things work that way. But like you said, it being the last few shows I don't mind. 

How do you know they use rehearsal audio? Is that a common thing with tour dvd editing?

Lol sorry for my bad english 

19 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Sorry for the quote again lol..

Ray of light im not sure about, seems like she sang to late in the 2nd verse at this Mexico date. So im not sure it was lipped in Mexico..

I actually hear the vocals on the right spot here too, the distorted audio doesn't help, but the pre-recorded vocals are still there.

19 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

Thanks. I really didn’t know things work that way. But like you said, it being the last few shows I don't mind. 

How do you know they use rehearsal audio? Is that a common thing with tour dvd editing?

Yeah. Stuart Price used the rehearsal audios for Confessions. I imagine they'll go the same route this time. 

My preferred option of course would be to use the first four nights of the four and compile an excellent raw live album.

1 minute ago, scion said:

Yeah. Stuart Price used the rehearsal audios for Confessions. I imagine they'll go the same route this time. 

My preferred option of course would be to use the first four nights of the four and compile an excellent raw live album.

I agree with you 100% ... 

25 minutes ago, True Blue 84 said:

It is indeed a common thing to do that in order to get the best vocal mix, especially if there's also a live album with it. The Confessions Tour DVD actually didn't use full audio from the London show, but a mix from different shows as well as parts from the rehearsal before the opening night. There is also some tiny pitch correction. This is why you can see Hung Up with pre-recorded vocals on the DVD although it was sung live in London. The Sticky and Sweet Tour had almost all the vocals entirely redubbed, and the few songs left with the live vocals had pitch correction (You Must Love Me, Don't Cry for Me Argentina, Like a Virgin and Hung Up). The list goes on. :)

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It is indeed a common thing to do that in order to get the best vocal mix, especially if there's also a live album with it. The Confessions Tour DVD actually didn't use full audio from the London show, but a mix from different shows as well as parts from the rehearsal before the opening night. There is also some tiny pitch correction. This is why you can see Hung Up with pre-recorded vocals on the DVD although it was sung live in London. The Sticky and Sweet Tour had almost all the vocals entirely redubbed, and the few songs left with the live vocals had pitch correction (You Must Love Me, Don't Cry for Me Argentina, Like a Virgin and Hung Up). The list goes on. :)

Sticky and Sweet tout DVD is a shame and a lie 

10 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I actually hear the vocals on the right spot here too, the distorted audio doesn't help, but the pre-recorded vocals are still there.

I think for most songs she's singing live along with a backing per-recorded track, while some nights and songs the backing track is louder than her live vocals.  For instance, there are times I can hear her singing live on the Everybody track, but it's usually the pre-recorded vocal heard the most.  There are other songs like that, and on some nights it's different especially for songs like ROL.  I always knew she was singing over a pre-recorded vocal track, but sometimes that pre-recorded track is louder than her live vocals.

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The Sticky and Sweet Tour had almost all the vocals entirely redubbed, and the few songs left with the live vocals had pitch correction 

the Sticky DVD was ridiculous, you hear the "perfect" live vocals and then the screaming crow vocals creeping in every now and then :dead:

Just now, Donna said:

I think for most songs she's singing live along with a backing per-recorded track, while some nights and songs the backing track is louder than her live vocals.  For instance, there are times I can hear her singing live on the Everybody track, but it's usually the pre-recorded vocal heard the most.  There are other songs like that, and on some nights it's different especially for songs like ROL.  I always knew she was singing over a pre-recorded vocal track, but sometimes that pre-recorded track is louder than her live vocals.

But the case is different in the last few shows in Mexico.

Everybody was playback during the choruses on all the shows but she was singing along the playback on the verses. Now she's miming to an autotuned pre-recorded vocal on the spots were she was previously singing live. With Ray of Light it's the same thing, she was singing live with the loud backing track, but now it is also an autotuned pre-recorded vocal playing instead.

1 minute ago, androiduser said:

the Sticky DVD was ridiculous, you hear the "perfect" live vocals and then the screaming crow vocals creeping in every now and then :dead:

My main issue with it is that there are some spots were her mouth isn't going along the dubbed vocals (on the beginning of La Isla Bonita it is very obvious and painful to see) making it look like she's lipsyncing very badly, while she was not during the actual show.

There are also moments where her original unpitched vocals can be heard in the background as it echoes in the stadium, making it very obvious that there is some tuning / dubbing going on (notably the Human Nature and Hung Up pre-choruses).

Also the Borderline vocals in general are very unrealistic. A shame because the DVD looks great otherwise.

On 4/25/2024 at 2:10 PM, DJ N A said:

• Unless I just didn't see it, I think she missed the lift in Justify My Love in Pittsburgh.

• Dallas Night 1 - her shoe got caught in the big black robe during Take a Bow and she almost slipped.

• Not a Madonna blooper but during Night 2 in Dallas, right before she rises up from the floor to start Bedtime Stories a crew member ran over to the stage and wiped the floor down. Not sure if they do that every night or if there was too much sweat that night. When he was hurrying to wipe the floor, he slipped and knocked 3 of the lights at the end of the stage off the stage. A second crew member ran over to pick them up and make sure they were plugged in properly. The fear in their eyes made me giggle.

SF show Feb 28, at the end of "Hung Up" her dancer Jal hands her the microphone too late to sing "I'm tired of waiting on you" while the background vocals play. Madonna says. "Thank you" then something else as she laughs and playfully pats Jal across the face.

LA show 3/9. She's late to rise up for the first line, "Today is the last day" of "Bedtime Stories" and her long wig looks like she just pulled it out of her trunk BUT she recovers well and gives major F me eyes to Rob Lowe just before turning around as the cube starts to rise.

47 minutes ago, Curtains said:

But the case is different in the last few shows in Mexico.

Everybody was playback during the choruses on all the shows but she was singing along the playback on the verses. Now she's miming to an autotuned pre-recorded vocal on the spots were she was previously singing live. With Ray of Light it's the same thing, she was singing live with the loud backing track, but now it is also an autotuned pre-recorded vocal playing instead.

But aren't you basing this off a few poorly taken videos from fans?  A lot of these videos we are seeing have really poor audio, so I am not sure it's fair to say what is really going on.  But my guess, she does rely on pre-recorded vocal tracks, while singing over them.  In some cases, the audio vocal backing track is louder, so I won't say she isn't 100% dependent on the backing tracks, but on some songs, more than others.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic