The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

15 hours ago, Prayer said:

I'm gonna miss her speeches so much:

Some fans say they're all very somber when she goes there but we shouldn't underestimate the importance DEATH has had in her life... literally her show is full of dead people... and yet she's still here. She's the result of losing her mother, of losing her friends in the 80s, of losing each one of her peers through the years...

Also, I read this interpretation yesterday on PopJustice about the "Bedtime Story/Ray Of Light/Rain" part, and while I'm not sure if I agree completely, made me think:

After watching the full show like a thousand times, something has clicked with me regarding the second half of the show. It always felt strange how well-represented her 80s, 90s and 00s life is and how there is a lack of focus on the 2010s and 20s, musically too, but mostly narrative-wise. But something in her recent, more sombre speeches made me realise that it's not about these decades, it is simply not about post-2000, it is about post-1996.

She doesn't define herself by any other means than being a mother. I still remember how the fact sheet came out before the tour and we learned about the "time capsule" that would represent the past, the present and the future too, which should be the Bedtime Story / Ray of Light / Rain act. But she doesn't have a future. Her only future is death - a loss of words and consciousness for good, becoming nothing more than a transcendental idea floating in space, and finally feeling her own mother's love coming down like rain. (Add the Virgin / Billie Jean mashup about the public's perception of the two being the king and queen of pop and being finally at the same place - not in heaven, but in people's consciousness as the two greatest in pop music being gone.)

If anything, the 00s act doesn't represent a past point in her life. Motherhood is her present and if she can fulfil that role for as long as she can, she doesn't have to accomplish anything else in her life. And to think this is her show, her narrative, and she's just survived a huge health scare, she must be hurt being reminded of this every night for the last few months. Be right back, I'm crying.

What do you think?

I think its a sad choice of perspective. Downright depressing speeches. Hope Rio makes her happy and is more a celebration.

If Fans cant see why the biopic was shelved its pretty obvious, she needs to write a book for her own experience and let a trusted producer tell the story of Madonna the global superstar.

52 minutes ago, MavyReg said:

I see a pro camera and mic!!! Maybe documentary in the works? Time will only tell hehe

I'm betting so!  She's probably documented this whole tour.  I thought in the original Press Statement or someone in her camp made a comment about she was going to document the tour.  Maybe explain why the venues in LA seen filming going on. 

They always capture BTS stuff on every tour. So it’s nothing new or surprising.

I don’t believe they have been filming a full on doco like TOD/IGTTYAS though. The dancers/crew were asked about that mid Europe and said that wasn’t happening.

Of course there will be some BTS as there always is.

1 hour ago, Dick Tracy said:

The beast within was beautiful in the tour but I don't understand why she recycled the RIT video. For me, that will always be a superior performance. This one feels... reductive.

In my eyes it was just the backdrop imagery and not that significant in this version. It’s mostly focused on the choreography.

I was gagged when I saw the Beast within backdrop. I love RIT and haven't seen it live cz I was very young lol. I didn't even look at the dancers doing their choreography thing. I was just looking at big screens. This performance/section meant a lot to me. But of course, I understand the point of view of fans who have seen RIT live. 

15 minutes ago, pawn_shop_blues said:

I was gagged when I saw the Beast within backdrop. I love RIT and haven't seen it live cz I was very young lol. I didn't even look at the dancers doing their choreography thing. I was just looking at big screens. This performance/section meant a lot to me. But of course, I understand the point of view of fans who have seen RIT live. 

I was looking at the dancers the entire time. The ring of fire and the backdrop as one combination is all just perfect to me. To me, it’s vastly superior to just a video of her playing at the start of Reinvention.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic