Jump to content

The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)


McDonna
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

Heavy ? The bit on ITG on this new tour ?? I can't hear any beat actually, just synths and vocals 🤔 I guess it's a typo and you meant the synths right ?

Nah.. idk I felt like the first section of the show (NRM —> Open Your Heart in particular) actually sounded just perfect - with rather simple production letting the main features of each song stand out as they should.

My only issue was with Open Your Heart on Opening Night… but love the way they adapted the bass line ever since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

I am the only one who thinks the version of Into the Groove/ Hollywood groove sounds kinda "flat" ? Like no drums and basseline ! Sound like she just sings acepella with the synths ! 

I'm with you on that, with the finale is maybe the only disappointing arrangement for me. But I see it as an artistic choice, because all the rest really sounds perfect to evoke the precize sound of the time when the tracks were recorded, so ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rodrigochecchia said:

I will forever 'believe' that I was responsible for Rain being included on the setlist:

Imagem do WhatsApp de 2023-11-07 à(s) 08.30.20_c7739e35.jpg

Oh if you give a look at my conversation with her it's just about: "Raaaain!!" ... no answer :coffee:. "Please Queen sing Rain, we love you!" ... no answer :polish:. "We want Rain M! Rain!!!" ... no answer :bothered2:. "Rain is a gem, one of your best songs ever :kiss2:" ... no answer :hearno:. "What about Rain? We are begging for it since years, please!" ... I think we took her by exhaustion man!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, stefo said:

I'm with you on that, with the finale is maybe the only disappointing arrangement for me. But I see it as an artistic choice, because all the rest really sounds perfect to evoke the precize sound of the time when the tracks were recorded, so ...

Yeah it definitely must be an artistic choice, but it's still a crime to delete that killer bassline and the great drums from the mix ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw the show in Lisbon last night. She was absolutely incredible. None of the video footage or clips I've seen before did the show justice at all, not even close. Her vocals sounded on-point throughout, choreography was fantastic, her energy levels were through the roof and she was in really great form. She seemed very emotional to be back in Lisbon and mentioned meeting her favourite artists before the show. She arrived on stage at 22:00, finished at 00:15.

I really couldn't fault the show up until the last segment which I felt was really not well thought out. Everybody I was with thought the MJ-LAV interlude was awkward and ruined the flow and the BIM and Celebration finale was way too scrappy for a show that had been so meticulous thus far. It's almost like she didn't want to sing at that point and just half-arse lip synched. Kind of weird tbh.

I felt she crammed a lot in, I was never bored or lost interest in what was going on. So many highlights, but most memorable performances for me were Open Your Heart, Holiday. Live To Tell, Bad Girl, The Beast Within, Die Another Day (!!!), Mother & Father and Ray of Light. I had been looking forward to Rain but it felt a bit undercooked without the middle 8 which was a shame.

So good to see her again and beaming throughout. Also, I didn't miss the band like I feared I might, so much going on.

9.5/10 (that ending is limp).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ayham said:

no band no proper backdrops…

As I said previously it feels like unfinished work!

Actually, some performances have video background and I agree that other ones should have had too.

Some songs definitely need a band.

8 hours ago, Redha DBL said:

When you are Madonna, with her unique charisma and stage presence, the most brilliant and efficient stage entrance you can make is the simpliest one. The DWT stage entrance has been my favorite one for year. Just a little smoke, and Madonna, just HER, walking slowly and appearing through the smoke, her voice. Nothing more, nothing more needed. Now my fav tour opener is the Celebration tour one. First the intro by BOB is absolutely genius, it's catchy, tongue in cheek, funny, modern and timeless. Then SHE appears, in that stunning circle of light, singing a timeless classic deep cut of her discography. This is brilliant. I hate those tacky entrance a la Rebel Heart tour or MDNA tour, ewwww, leave that to girls who have zero charisma to fill the lack of stage presence. Any tacky oversize accessories for her stage entrance is an insult to her stage presence. 

I wouldn't call any of Madonna's openings tacky, but Iconic was awkward in some way.

Nothing Really Matters is too simple. It definitely needs video backdrops and a few dancers. 

It looks like a performance on a TV show or some music festival. And that ring is tacky.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Pedro Beltran said:

She looks amazing here next to the gorgeous model (I don’t really fancy him though) 

What do you think @joey? @monica? @chandler? @phoebe? @rachel? @janice? @gunther? @mike? @emily? @richard? My lovely friends… IMG_6485.thumb.jpeg.5038147933ebc964caf8a7e0c0bb83db.jpeg

Yea, I don’t find him attractive, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The show definitely needs more video backgrounds, especially the opening.
  • It is kind of cheap and weird to have the screens on stage  to show what is happening on stage. They are usually on the sides of stage.  Some performances are cool with that, but some definitely need proper visuals.
  • The costumes are a mixed bag. The ROL costume is brilliant, but it evokes Beyonce. The negligee is too casual. Too many corsets. The look during the 80s segment was cool, but it could have been more daring - something like a jacket or a blazer with vivid colors that evoke The Virgin Tour costume. The costumes of dancers are also a mixed bag. Some dancers looked very tacky and out of place.
  • Some songs need a band.
  • Everybody is brilliant. That background and choreography are fantastic. The use of flashlights isn't something new, perhaps even Madonna used it before, but it works so well on stage. Those synths on Into The Groove are great, but different lyrics are a bad choice for general public and even fans. In general, the 80s section is great.
  • She teases general public but doesn't deliver (Papa Don't Preach).
  • Some stuff were unnecessary like Tokischa, too much of Bob. Bob's presence does work at some parts, but it is unnecessary during that Fever intro (it should have been Madonna) and Vogue.
  • Live to Tell was brilliant. I didn't expect her to top the Confessions tour performance. And the use of In This Life  as an intro was an excellent idea. 
  • The show is maybe too chronological at some parts. Performing too many iconic 80s stuff at the start is a bad idea. Maybe she wants to show her evolution as an artist, but doing the most iconic songs for the final segment wouldn't ruin the concept. 
  • I is fun that she mixed Erotica and Hard Candy visuals,  but the sex  section was kind of boring at moments. Justify My Love should have been performed in original form (or Orbit remix) or at least been a part of Erotica or performed. It is just too gloomy for general public and even fans. Lasers during Erotica were so cool.
  • Many songs are very similar to the original versions and that is great, but some songs needed a reinvention (Nothing Really Matters, The Beast Within). On the other hand,  songs like Justify My Love, Ray of Light, Like a Prayer didn't really need a reinvention or to be performed in a remixed form. It was a perfect opportunity to use the original Like a Prayer version. And I am not sure of general public enjoys that remix of Ray of Light.
  • I am disappointed with Vogue. It isn't horrible or unimaginative as that S&S performance (cool remix though), but with that intro and Ballroom part it doesn't seem like a priority. It was too casual. Also, singing Vogue with a mic is always a bad idea (she pulled it off on Madame X). And Bob...
  • That piano intro before Bad Girl could have been an instrumental of This Used To Be My Playground. Simple as that.
  • Instead of using her own songs as elements, she focused too much of music of other artists. It was too easy to add elements of Causing a Commotion to Into the Groove, Bye Bye Baby to Erotica, Survival to Human Nature... I mean, come on.
  • Bedtime Story with that cube and projection of her on it was spectacular, but I wish there were new surreal visuals on screens on stage or at least scenes from the original video.
  • The final song should have been Music with elements of  GMAYL and Bitch I'm Madonna.
  • Elements of Celebration could have been an intro for Everybody.
  • Like a Virgin wouldn't have been out of place if she performed some 80s classics like Express Yourself or Lucky Star after it. Also, it was unnecessary to be a mash up or a tribute. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Justice said:
  • The show definitely needs more video backgrounds, especially the opening.
  • It is kind of cheap and weird to have the screens on stage  to show what is happening on stage. They are usually on the sides of stage.  Some performances are cool with that, but some definitely need proper visuals.
  • The costumes are a mixed bag. The ROL costume is brilliant, but it evokes Beyonce. The negligee is too casual. Too many corsets. The look during the 80s segment was cool, but it could have been more daring - something like a jacket or a blazer with vivid colors that evoke The Virgin Tour costume. The costumes of dancers are also a mixed bag. Some dancers looked very tacky and out of place.
  • Some songs need a band.
  • Everybody is brilliant. That background and choreography are fantastic. The use of flashlights isn't something new, perhaps even Madonna used it before, but it works so well on stage. Those synths on Into The Groove are great, but different lyrics are a bad choice for general public and even fans. In general, the 80s section is great.
  • She teases general public but doesn't deliver (Papa Don't Preach).
  • Some stuff were unnecessary like Tokischa, too much of Bob. Bob's presence does work at some parts, but it is unnecessary during that Fever intro (it should have been Madonna) and Vogue.
  • Live to Tell was brilliant. I didn't expect her to top the Confessions tour performance. And the use of In This Life  as an intro was an excellent idea. 
  • The show is maybe too chronological at some parts. Performing too many iconic 80s stuff at the start is a bad idea. Maybe she wants to show her evolution as an artist, but doing the most iconic songs for the final segment wouldn't ruin the concept. 
  • I is fun that she mixed Erotica and Hard Candy visuals,  but the sex  section was kind of boring at moments. Justify My Love should have been performed in original form (or Orbit remix) or at least been a part of Erotica or performed. It is just too gloomy for general public and even fans. Lasers during Erotica were so cool.
  • Many songs are very similar to the original versions and that is great, but some songs needed a reinvention (Nothing Really Matters, The Beast Within). On the other hand,  songs like Justify My Love, Ray of Light, Like a Prayer didn't really need a reinvention or to be performed in a remixed form. It was a perfect opportunity to use the original Like a Prayer version. And I am not sure of general public enjoys that remix of Ray of Light.
  • I am disappointed with Vogue. It isn't horrible or unimaginative as that S&S performance (cool remix though), but with that intro and Ballroom part it doesn't seem like a priority. It was too casual. Also, singing Vogue with a mic is always a bad idea (she pulled it off on Madame X). And Bob...
  • That piano intro before Bad Girl could have been an instrumental of This Used To Be My Playground. Simple as that.
  • Instead of using her own songs as elements, she focused too much of music of other artists. It was too easy to add elements of Causing a Commotion to Into the Groove, Bye Bye Baby to Erotica, Survival to Human Nature... I mean, come on.
  • Bedtime Story with that cube and projection of her on it was spectacular, but I wish there were new surreal visuals on screens on stage or at least scenes from the original video.
  • The final song should have been Music with elements of  GMAYL and Bitch I'm Madonna.
  • Elements of Celebration could have been an intro for Everybody.
  • Like a Virgin wouldn't have been out of place if she performed some 80s classics like Express Yourself or Lucky Star after it. Also, it was unnecessary to be a mash up or a tribute. 

 

Cheap and weird?

Seeing her on those giant screens looking fucking SENSATIONAL is everything!

Cheap is the last thing it looks.

It adds so much to the performance. It’s just MADONNA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Cheap and weird?

Seeing her on those giant screens looking fucking SENSATIONAL is everything!

Cheap is the last thing it looks.

It adds so much to the performance. It’s just MADONNA.

Like I said, those screens were always on the sides of stage so people who are far away can see what is happening on stage.

I prefer stylized and polished shows with proper video backgrounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Justice said:

Like I said, those screens were always on the sides of stage so people who are far away can see what is happening on stage.

I prefer stylized and polished shows with proper video backgrounds.

She is shot beautifully and it looks great. Preference, for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

She is shot beautifully and it looks great. Preference, for sure.

I didn't say she didn't look good. It worked for some performances, but others would have been better with proper visuals.

I guess this is the thing for this tour, considering she always likes to do something different. Seeing it during a concert is certainly a different experience. Maybe I will like some stuff when the DVD gets released.

Anyway, I can't imagine performances like Future Lovers on the Confessions Tour with that approach. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Justice said:
  • The show definitely needs more video backgrounds, especially the opening.
  • It is kind of cheap and weird to have the screens on stage  to show what is happening on stage. They are usually on the sides of stage.  Some performances are cool with that, but some definitely need proper visuals.
  • The costumes are a mixed bag. The ROL costume is brilliant, but it evokes Beyonce. The negligee is too casual. Too many corsets. The look during the 80s segment was cool, but it could have been more daring - something like a jacket or a blazer with vivid colors that evoke The Virgin Tour costume. The costumes of dancers are also a mixed bag. Some dancers looked very tacky and out of place.
  • Some songs need a band.
  • Everybody is brilliant. That background and choreography are fantastic. The use of flashlights isn't something new, perhaps even Madonna used it before, but it works so well on stage. Those synths on Into The Groove are great, but different lyrics are a bad choice for general public and even fans. In general, the 80s section is great.
  • She teases general public but doesn't deliver (Papa Don't Preach).
  • Some stuff were unnecessary like Tokischa, too much of Bob. Bob's presence does work at some parts, but it is unnecessary during that Fever intro (it should have been Madonna) and Vogue.
  • Live to Tell was brilliant. I didn't expect her to top the Confessions tour performance. And the use of In This Life  as an intro was an excellent idea. 
  • The show is maybe too chronological at some parts. Performing too many iconic 80s stuff at the start is a bad idea. Maybe she wants to show her evolution as an artist, but doing the most iconic songs for the final segment wouldn't ruin the concept. 
  • I is fun that she mixed Erotica and Hard Candy visuals,  but the sex  section was kind of boring at moments. Justify My Love should have been performed in original form (or Orbit remix) or at least been a part of Erotica or performed. It is just too gloomy for general public and even fans. Lasers during Erotica were so cool.
  • Many songs are very similar to the original versions and that is great, but some songs needed a reinvention (Nothing Really Matters, The Beast Within). On the other hand,  songs like Justify My Love, Ray of Light, Like a Prayer didn't really need a reinvention or to be performed in a remixed form. It was a perfect opportunity to use the original Like a Prayer version. And I am not sure of general public enjoys that remix of Ray of Light.
  • I am disappointed with Vogue. It isn't horrible or unimaginative as that S&S performance (cool remix though), but with that intro and Ballroom part it doesn't seem like a priority. It was too casual. Also, singing Vogue with a mic is always a bad idea (she pulled it off on Madame X). And Bob...
  • That piano intro before Bad Girl could have been an instrumental of This Used To Be My Playground. Simple as that.
  • Instead of using her own songs as elements, she focused too much of music of other artists. It was too easy to add elements of Causing a Commotion to Into the Groove, Bye Bye Baby to Erotica, Survival to Human Nature... I mean, come on.
  • Bedtime Story with that cube and projection of her on it was spectacular, but I wish there were new surreal visuals on screens on stage or at least scenes from the original video.
  • The final song should have been Music with elements of  GMAYL and Bitch I'm Madonna.
  • Elements of Celebration could have been an intro for Everybody.
  • Like a Virgin wouldn't have been out of place if she performed some 80s classics like Express Yourself or Lucky Star after it. Also, it was unnecessary to be a mash up or a tribute. 

 

Log out 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Write here...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use