Madonna 'set to headline Glastonbury Festival in 2024' w. 'Both teams are keen to make it happen'

GlamSlam

1 hour ago, GlamSlam said:

Emily Eavis, like her father before her, has always been vocal in wanting Madonna at Glasto so its hardly tenuous.

It really depends on Madonna. It she wants to play there and what demands she makes (Its a festival on a farm and not a stadium).

The reporting of her being at the concert = "Madonna to headline Glastonbury" is what is tenuous. Like I said, Emily has been to see her in concert before, so this in itself means nothing other than 'concert booker attends gig'. Groundbreaking.

13 hours ago, GlamSlam said:

Emily Eavis, like her father before her, has always been vocal in wanting Madonna at Glasto so its hardly tenuous.

It really depends on Madonna. It she wants to play there and what demands she makes (Its a festival on a farm and not a stadium).

I'm not entirely sure, simply asking, but wouldn't it be similar to Slane Castle? 

9 hours ago, captainjay said:

I'm not entirely sure, simply asking, but wouldn't it be similar to Slane Castle? 

I've heard of Slane Castle but I am not sure of the size of any events it holds there.

As for Glasto...

Glastonbury Festival is the largest greenfield music and performing arts festival in the world and a template for all the festivals that have come after it.

The festival takes place in a beautiful location – 900 acres in the Vale of Avalon, an area steeped in symbolism, mythology and religious traditions dating back many hundreds of years. It is where King Arthur may be buried, where Joseph of Arimathea is said to have walked and where ley lines converge. And the site is enormous - more than a mile and a half across, with a perimeter of about eight and a half miles.

In addition to contemporary music, the festival hosts dance, comedy, theatre, circus, cabaret, and other arts. Leading pop and rock artists have headlined, alongside thousands of others appearing on smaller stages and performance areas. Films and albums have been recorded at the festival, and it receives extensive television and newspaper coverage.

Glastonbury is attended by around 200,000 people, requiring extensive security, transport, water, and electricity-supply infrastructure.

If Madonna was going to ever play at a UK festival then Glastonbury would be the one I would have thought. Its the largest in the world and it is true to say that they have bands and artists begging to play there.

Such is the prestige of a main stage slot that no artist ever gets paid their normal fee, none.

Once all costs are paid a good slice of the profit is given to worthy causes and charities and the festival to raised millions of pounds for these over the years.

21 hours ago, McDonna said:

You do know "Emily" isn't a 'real' person?  But I agree the report of this happening is most likely speculation that happens merely on a yearly basis anymore.  Much like a lot of the Awards shows that people keep claiming she's going to appear on. In other words, "wishful thinking" from some.

WHAT?

What a stupid and moronic thing to say.

Emily is the daughter of the founder of the Festival Michael Evis and I have met her twice at the Festival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Eavis

5 minutes ago, GlamSlam said:

WHAT?

What a stupid and moronic thing to say.

Emily is the daughter of the founder of the Festival Michael Evis and I have met her twice at the Festival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Eavis

Okay back up, I missed part of the conversation.  So my apologies as I mixed this up with the imaginary "Emily" people are talking about in the Single Re-issue Thread. 

There was no need for the name calling. Surely, you can understand the confusion.

Spice girls are planning it, 

mel C said it at her set this year, (If they get their act together lol). 

RiRi is supposed to be coming next year, cant be Taylor her dates are booked elsewhere I personally do think it could be M doing the Ledge slot. It gets the highest ratings on UK TV. With the box sets are coming out and she's got the time dancers and show mostly together and Emilys been, it seems likely. Yey! Its a HUGE deal.

Apart from the female headliners id expect Harry Styles and Lenny Kravitz too. Hes got an album coming out and could also be part of M's set. 

• 2 weeks later...

Glastonbury Festival co-organiser Emily Eavis has refuted the rumours regarding the headlining act for the Pyramid Stage next year.

According to reports now labelled “untrue,” superstars Madonna and Dua Lipa were set to headline the annual event.

The Mail on Sunday had reported on Saturday evening that these two acts, along with Coldplay, were slated to be the headliners on the main stage in June.

Emily Eavis wrote on Instagram on Sunday morning: "As always, there is much speculation and excitement about who is playing at Glastonbury.

"We are working on the line-up day and night at the moment, but it's still changing every day. The story about our confirmed headliners is untrue.

"As always, we love your enthusiasm and guesswork - but accurate news on headliners will be with you sometime in the new year!"

The report suggested a Glastonbury lineup with Dua Lipa headlining on Friday, Coldplay, who have headlined four times before, on Saturday.

Madonna would have then been the final act to close the festival on Sunday.

This arrangement would have marked the first time two female artists had occupied the premier headlining slots at the festival.

Last year, Glastonbury received criticism for having all-male headliners, featuring Arctic Monkeys, Guns N' Roses, and Sir Elton John.

Explaining last year's lack of female headliners, Eavis said: "I've always been really passionate about gender split [on festival line-ups] and I think, actually, our problem was that I'd been so outspoken about it that having a year when there wasn't a female sent people a bit mad - or some people.

"And we did have a female - she pulled out and we replaced them with Guns N' Roses. But everyone knows that it's top of my list.

"It is difficult with female artists because there aren't enough headliners. But we're also creating them. We're putting the bands and female artists on smaller stages and bringing them through all the time.”

Teasing the upcoming acts, Eavis said: “And who knows? Next year we might get two. And certainly, I can say that the legend is female."

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1831706/glastonbury-festival-shuts-down-rumours-madonna-dua-lipa

Tell The Truth GIF

• 1 month later...

I thought Cher was supposed to be doing the Sunday?? I guess nobody knows.

As for a mixture Harry Styles was mentioned at one point as a headlining male, Greenday will be in the UK around then too. Also Lenny Kravitz its doing festivals next year UK not announced yet all others are, I doubt he would headline though but would be cool for him to pop up as one of Madonna's guests if she does it.