Which songs make you think "Madonna CAN SING."

• gst6662000 changed the title to Which songs make you think "Madonna CAN SING."

Very early on she had Crazy for You and Papa Don't Preach to prove she was a great studio singer. No wonder she was nominated at the Grammys for both.

She got to be a technically better singer in the 90s (You'll See, Ray of Light, Evita OST...) but I still think Papa Don't Preach is one of her finnest (and she had a cold!).

Also, Madonna wasn't there because of the whole VMAs "She's a fluke and will be out of the business in 5 months" mentality rather than for her vocals abilities (or lack off). They  only had one spot for a new female singer and Lauper was more respected as a serious artist and, bar Like a Virgin, had more hits in the US at the time.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:57 AM, gst6662000 said:

After watching a reel when she was snubbed from WE ARE THE WORLD bec they thought she couldn't sing....

Heartbroken I was, I thought

Which songs make you think " ahhh Madonna CAN SING."

Bob Dylan sings horribly and he was there. When he sings he sounds as if his testicles were being pressed. Lou Reed was a terrible singer too, and what about the New Order singer? However, Madonna is always attacked for her singing. True, she doesn't have a wide vocal range, but neither do have it  Minogue or Spears, whose voices are irritating, mediocre and unbearable to listen to to me; what's more, what they lack is expressiveness and emotion, which Madonna has in spades. Or at least had,  prior to her ruining singing lessons, which took away all the fun in her voice.

"More" (From Dick Tracy) is a perfect showcase for her singing talent. It's a very difficult song to sing.

And to me it's not just a song what made me think she can sing. I think she sounds great on the true blue album, love those raspy vocals. And i love her more mature vocals on the like a prayer album. Same as some of the Blond ambition performances, the tour may not be famouse for perfect vocals but there are some great performances in there, the like a prayer performances or like a virgin performances on many dates sounds awesome to me. Or even before at the who's that girl tour she gave us pretty good vocals at times ( look of love ) and some other songs where she beltes out some pretty good notes ( yes she did) or Sooner or later at the oscars ofcourse ( posted above) . Drowned worls tour was also great vocally.  And the list goes on. She may not always get the credits she deserves imo but her voice has so many different styles. So as i said , to me its more than just a song.  Its also entire albums and performances.  Her voice may not be a Whitney or a  Celine, but her voice got something iconic, something i can't get enough off....  

Bob Dylan ?
The chap on the We Are The World footage who looks REALLY nervous.
Even with Lionel 'n' chums whooping up his singing ??
Helen Terry once claimed to be one of The Coloured Girls on Lou Reed's Walk On The Wild Side.
She was on a radio show and spoke about this very subject.
Madge defaults to Is I Black when she wants to sell a slow number.
Or grabs her ever handy Spanish For Dummies phrasebook.
:pop:

I never thought she couldn't sing.  So my answer is, every song she sung has proven to me "she can sing".  How well can she sing? That's subjective.  There are plenty of artists out there that I think have horrible voices, but they manage to have decades of success.  Hello Bob Dylan! To be fair, Dylan's voice is quite unique and for some songs, it works for him. Also, he's a great song writer, so that's another reason why he's so well respected in the music world.

I only discovered her during Music era when I was 12-13yo and started to take music much more seriously (the rest is history), so then I went backwards in my personal Madonna journey and very soon realized she is much better singer that media used to say... Ray of Light, Evita, Something to Remember, oh man, was I surprised by her singing abilities :hearteyes:

8 minutes ago, maddy1111 said:

I only discovered her during Music era when I was 12-13yo and started to take music much more seriously (the rest is history), so then I went backwards in my personal Madonna journey and very soon realized she is much better singer that media used to say... Ray of Light, Evita, Something to Remember, oh man, was I surprised by her singing abilities :hearteyes:

12-13 is quite typical for most to start independently discovering their own music tastes.  This is a time when we as humans start to seek independence away from our parents and authority.  Madonna was up and coming at the time I really started to dive in to music.  Of course, I was always drawn to music, but like most really started exploring more music on my own by the age of 12 and 13.  By 14 and 15, I had a pretty decent collection of 45's and albums.  But yes, I agree, Madonna is far much better of a singer than the media tried to portray.  Even watching back the Virgin Tour more recently, I thought her vocals were really good.  WTG has some vocal challenges, and BAT wasn't always perfect but then there was TGS which I thought her vocals were really strong.  With Madonna, we know she isn't a strong vocalist, but she can sing.  It's just she has to try harder than some of the Whitney Houston's and Celine Dion's of the entertainment world.  There's nothing wrong with that because I tend to like artists more who aren't the greatest singers because in a lot of cases they are more creative and interesting.  :)