Debord

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prayer

Still fresh. I also remember my first listen and be surprised but happy overall. Everyone (me included) expected the usual Maluma dirty reggaeton smash, but instead she gave us this smooth, cool, almost nostalgic song. I also liked that sonically it was something different for her, right where "Body Shop" had left in the previous album. She tried something different. I took a pill and had a dream... The video is still one of her best of last decade and I'd even say one of her best ever

Roland Barthes

I think the X in Madame X refers to Portugal being at the center of the world in the past, it was central to triangular trade and when Colombus went to colonize the world and boats went to asia, south & north america....Madonna's concepts are always confused but this may explain why we go from Portugal to south America to Asia and Africa...and the covers are her mothers : her real mother and her art mothers : frida Kahlo and Martha Graham...another concept within the concept. It's like she c

WopaelWopael

"Medellin" isn't just a song to me—it's a piece of my life. Back in 2016 when I was 20, I left my tiny german hometown to spend a year doing voluntary work in Medellin. That year changed everything for me. I picked up Spanish, fell head over heels for Reggaeton, and had the kind of adventures I'd only ever dreamed about. Medellin was also where I first really got to embrace my identity, amazing parties and meeting my first boyfriend. It was wild, freeing, and eye-opening in so many ways. Fa

Posted Images

Her worst lead single with "Gimme all your luvin". I remember when the song hadn't been released yet and the extras from the videos where describing the song, all they would say was "it goes One Two Cha Cha Cha" and i knew it wasn't very good. No one said "the track is amazing " or "it's gonna be a hit this summer", nothing like that, just "she sings one two cha cha cha" ok lol...

Just now, Redha DBL said:

Hmmm even with a sport/cheerleader theme she could have made a better song. 

The videoclip I like it. The song was perfect like a bonus track into deluxe edition! :)

Medellin is so slow...! The wigs used in the videoclip are terrible! The performance at Billboard was nice and well done.

10 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Still fresh. I also remember my first listen and be surprised but happy overall. Everyone (me included) expected the usual Maluma dirty reggaeton smash, but instead she gave us this smooth, cool, almost nostalgic song. I also liked that sonically it was something different for her, right where "Body Shop" had left in the previous album. She tried something different.

I took a pill and had a dream...

The video is still one of her best of last decade and I'd even say one of her best ever...

And the chemistry between them was always cute to see:

Slow down on the criticism, papis!

I went to the MTV premiere of the video and was sat right in front of her. Amazing memories.

I remember The Guardian review of the Madame X tour said the performance of Medellin made it sound like the massive hit it should have been and it's very true.

6 minutes ago, Debord said:

I went to the MTV premiere of the video and was sat right in front of her. Amazing memories.

I remember The Guardian review of the Madame X tour said the performance of Medellin made it sound like the massive hit it should have been and it's very true.

I think it's one of those songs that could have been bigger with proper label push and promotion - and also a shorter edit maybe xd Sadly she never had proper push from Interscope except for the radio deal for "Give Me All Your Luvin'".

General public (I'm talking about Spanish-speaking countries, were Maluma was massive back then) were just surprised it wasn't the usual reggaeton hit and never cared about it again, I think. But it could have helped him too to expand his quite limited sonically and image-wise catalogue. It was a win-win for both.

That said, it got OK numbers, it wasn't this massive flop either, but... yeah, a lost proper hit.

I remember watching the MTV premiere special when it was broadcasted and being with my mouth open about how gorgeous she looked in the video. About the song, when i 1st listened to it, i was a bit surprised, but when the "si te enamoro" part kicked in, wow, that was it!!! There was the chorus!!!!. For me, Madame X is one of her best albums, a beautiful inspired work of art, and those amazing videos... She put her heart and soul on the whole project.

Really love this song and the Madame X album. The video is great, the song is pretty good, it makes you want to fall in love :heart:  

And I don't give a damn about summer hits, this song is for people who listen to real music, not for idiots who listen to hits on the radio that everyone will have forgotten by the following year :angel:

6 minutes ago, Sheridan1980 said:

Really love this song and the Madame X album. The video is great, the song is pretty good, it makes you want to fall in love :heart:  

And I don't give a damn about summer hits, this song is for people who listen to real music, not for idiots who listen to hits on the radio that everyone will have forgotten by the following year :angel:

Yeah the whole era was quite thrilling I think, it was M back firing on full cylinders. 

10 minutes ago, Redha DBL said:

She hadn't have a solid lead since Hung Up anyway. Some were nice (Living for Love, 4 minutes...) but nowhere near as strong  as a lead should be. Like a Prayer, Frozen, Music, Hung up, this is what i'm talking about.

I'd say "4 Minutes" was everything it needed to be in 2008, a killer commercial song for the time + a killer video. Plus it was one of the biggest hits of that year. It was literally everywhere in Spring 2008.

Even today, with Justin Timberlake "cancelled" and her completely ignoring the song on her greatest hits tour, remains one of her most streamed songs still.

"GMAYL", "Living For Love" and "Medellín" we can discuss for days, yes, apart from personal preferences. IMO "Living For Love" was the weakest combo (song + video), I like the song but there's something missing in the original album version (she always performed remixes and different versions of it since day one). And the video is quite simple for a lead. I think "Bitch I'm Madonna" should have been the lead on "Rebel Heart".

1 hour ago, Redha DBL said:

She hadn't have a solid lead since Hung Up anyway. Some were nice (Living for Love, 4 minutes...) but nowhere near as strong  as a lead should be. Like a Prayer, Frozen, Music, Hung up, this is what i'm talking about.

Above all, once she passed the age of 49, the media no longer gave her any credit. Unfortunately, the media decide whether a song is a hit or not. It has nothing to do with the quality of his music, it's just a question of age. Besides, a 50-year-old woman who wants to stay in the game is just too much for them. 

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

I'd say "4 Minutes" was everything it needed to be in 2008, a killer commercial song for the time + a killer video. Plus it was one of the biggest hits of that year. It was literally everywhere in Spring 2008.

Even today, with Justin Timberlake "cancelled" and her completely ignoring the song on her greatest hits tour, remains one of her most streamed songs still.

"GMAYL", "Living For Love" and "Medellín" we can discuss for days, yes, apart from personal preferences. IMO "Living For Love" was the weakest combo (song + video), I like the song but there's something missing in the original album version (she always performed remixes and different versions of it since day one). And the video is quite simple for a lead. I think "Bitch I'm Madonna" should have been the lead on "Rebel Heart".

For me "4 minutes" was not groundbreaking at all, especially in 2008. It just benefited from great public attraction because Madonna was coming from the mega successfull Confessions era and Justin was still big at that time. Musically the song is average, especially in 2008 when the Timbaland sound was already over.

Medellín could be better, it's good, nothing than that but the video is awesome, it could've been the start of a visual album but it didn't happen unfortunately. I really liked this era, specially the videos and some moments in the tour.