Madonna - Lucky Star album (scrapped debut)

steady75

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Thisisit said:

They pressed 25 proof copies of the album artwork. It was presented to Madonna and she rejected it. All copies were destroyed except 3. A friend of mine owns one

What about the album mixes of this album? Are they the final mixes released time later with Madonna / The First Album pressings or are they demo versions? 

On 6/11/2020 at 6:42 PM, thegoldencalf said:

The flop of LS is the reason why Holiday never got a video. They were afraid to invest more money before they had proof her music will sell.

Using the TOTP performance as the official video was probably better  than any video for the song they would have done anyways. Good on them.

4 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Could you provide proof?

The only thing that exists are the artwork proofs, as shown below:

image.jpeg.9b0a10ea13cec9a824c91f5d26a668a0.jpeg

There are no final LP artworks pressed with this design. Except there are a few foreign pressings of “Madonna” that uses “Lucky Star” as the title on the vinyl label.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 8:42 AM, thegoldencalf said:

Lucky Star did get released as the 3rd single in U.K. as “full length version” and “edit” and got the gorgeous sunglasses cover in color. But it flopped while Holiday was getting a lot of traction. I still haven’t managed to get my hands on the 7” which is extremely rare and expensive.

The flop of LS is the reason why Holiday never got a video. They were afraid to invest more money before they had proof her music will sell.

After she promoted the song on every relevant TV show and the album was a hit they quickly shot back to back videos for Borderline and Lucky Star.

How did it flop? It got to No. 14? 

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2020 at 12:42 AM, thegoldencalf said:

Actually, the reason why Holiday never got a video is because of the promotion strategy that Sire run for the album in that period .

After Holiday proved to be more successful than Lucky Star in the clubs, they decided to push Holiday to radio and stores (only in 7" form and without the cover art so the sales would go towards the album, but would be enough for it to chart on Hot 100). That would cover the dance/r&b market. 

And for the video part of album promotion they opted for Burning Up. MTV at that time was rock/new wave oriented and they got Jellybean to re-remix Burning Up in more of a rock style, for the video release to be serviced to MTV in October '83. And that was supposed to cover the rock/new wave market.

So the reason why we never got the Holiday video is because Burning Up is its video. That was the initial strategy.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:36 AM, Jackie said:

Well, for me anyway - I always assumed her rise to fame was 'instant' but it appears was a little bumpier in some areas :)

Up until Borderline in the US and Holiday in Europe she had to work work work and not only to get the public's attention but to convince Warner she was of value. Her very early interviews in the british press are very telling, she does not mince words. How i miss AllAboutMadonna ! They had these fantastic press archives, everything was there and these early interviews were gold.

She aso had to convince radio stations to play her records, she made a club tour, with a performance or just to meet the dj's to have them play her records as well (that's how she met Jellybean, she was always going to clubs with bobby shaw, a warner A&R in charge of dance music and relations with clubs to introduce herself).