Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

On 2/13/2024 at 1:09 AM, Would You Like To Try said:

Would someone be angry if they didn't fix Borderline?

I would be but I‘m not expecting them to fix it this year. Thankfully we have all the versions from digital source already.

4 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

@bertrandso it seems that apparently some I'll Remember CD's had In This Life instead of Why's It So Hard so does someone have this live in FLAC? From the original single? Thanks

I do. It’s included in my Oh Father single thread. It’s taken from the German I'll Remember single (which I own).

I’ll Remember and Playground are more Erotica era for my money. Bookends. But also both are neither so.
I wonder if anymore songs were written for the soundtracks. We never really hear of those outside of DSS & Vision quest. 
It’s an area we never really dive into as fans really and there could be a wealth of stuff we just having really spent anytime thinking about. I always wonder if there were more written for WTG, A League Of Their Own. Insane that Shanghai Surprize never had a Madonna pitch after the success of Into The Groove. Specifically as George Harrison was a musician himself. 
Body Of Evidence. Bloodhounds Of Broadway was always a film I thought she’d pop a song on. 

8 hours ago, steady75 said:

I’ll Remember and Playground are more Erotica era for my money. Bookends. But also both are neither so.
I wonder if anymore songs were written for the soundtracks. We never really hear of those outside of DSS & Vision quest. 
It’s an area we never really dive into as fans really and there could be a wealth of stuff we just having really spent anytime thinking about. I always wonder if there were more written for WTG, A League Of Their Own. Insane that Shanghai Surprize never had a Madonna pitch after the success of Into The Groove. Specifically as George Harrison was a musician himself. 
Body Of Evidence. Bloodhounds Of Broadway was always a film I thought she’d pop a song on. 

Playground was the only one for A League Of Their Own and it was pretty rushed from what I remember. It also appeared on an early tracklist draft of Erotica when it was still called "Girlie Show".

I think the song was never one of her favorites. She was clearly in a very different mood when she worked on it because she was already very immersed in the Erotica project at that time. TUTBMP felt like an assignment song to her.

I'll Remember was a gift to her friend Alex Keshishian. Probably also the only song written for the movie but it was initially a Pat Leonard reject that she adopted and rewrote for the movie. It was possibly the first song Madonna wrote with the intention of softening her image after Erotica. It didn't really fit her lifestyle or overall vibe at that time but it was a bit of a necessity and opportunity for her I believe. It definitely worked for her. It's one of her most successful and critically acclaimed songs in the US.

17 hours ago, steady75 said:

Well there’s that little in-movie duet w/Jen Grey in BOB.

Even in 1993 I thought it was surprising she didn’t use Bad Girl in Body of Evidence, considering how big she was on cross-promoting/pollinating at that time. Not that it would have helped either, it just seemed so obvious. They were even released right around the same time.

17 hours ago, MPowered said:

Playground was the only one for A League Of Their Own and it was pretty rushed from what I remember. It also appeared on an early tracklist draft of Erotica when it was still called "Girlie Show".

I think the song was never one of her favorites. She was clearly in a very different mood when she worked on it because she was already very immersed in the Erotica project at that time. TUTBMP felt like an assignment song to her.

I don't think that's a fair assessment to be honest, given what the song was inspired by (loss of friends to AIDS). 

47 minutes ago, kesiak said:

I don't think that's a fair assessment to be honest, given what the song was inspired by (loss of friends to AIDS). 

Maybe that is the EXACT REASON why it was an assignment song to her, since it did touch her loss to a perspective she wouldn't rather do for such loss? As she was been literal, narratively and raw to In This Life as it was (and still is) imperative to touch the AIDS pandemic/epidemic to their true, dark colors, to no sweetening?

Writing a farewell lullaby song to the brother she wished she had (given her real ones were just "hungry faces" to her) would sound superfluous and somehow annoying to her when picturing the lyrics content and imagining about a dream that would never come true anymore.

9 hours ago, kesiak said:

I think that message gets lost in translation cause she probably had to tone it down quite drastically, so it could still apply to the movie. So, overall it appears to be more about looking back at your youth and the things you used to enjoy that have come to pass.

Overall, it seems she wasn’t satisfied with the songs she wrote about her friends (First There's A Kiss & TUTBMP) until she finished In This Life. I mean she even decided to perform the latter over Bad Girl and the US #1 single TUTBMP on the Girlie Show and has even used a snippet on her current tour.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW