VULGAR

deathproof

26 minutes ago, DaddyZ said:

Someone just use the Hung Up On Tokisha footage, add Sam from another video where’s a slutty and make a vulgar edit. 🤷🏻‍♂️

i don’t have time. Ha ha. 

Yes that would be a masterpiece ( NOT !!! ) 😂 sorry but this song deserved its poor chart performance… let’s move on to a more decent song now 🥰

4 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

I wish she would do a video for this and Popular. 
I really don’t understand why she will film videos for random Frozen Remixes & Hung Up on Tokisha’s, but won’t film for recent ACTUAL singles. 

I suspect because there is more than her involved with making a video.  With Popular, that's technically a Weeknd track with her featured.  That's more on Weeknd and his label to make a video.  Also, Vulgar is on Sam's label, so it's really up to him and his label to do a video. She may want to do a video, but his label may not want it or want to fund a video. Personally, I think making short Tik Tok type videos would probably get more attention. 

1 hour ago, Andreo said:

We got three videos for Frozen remix but not even one for TWO new singles. I can't. 

Again, those were Madonna projects, funded by her and her team.  People should be taking this up with The Weeknd and Sam Smith teams which are behind these releases.  On one hand, you'd think you'd want to do a video with the Queen of pop, but she hasn't really had a lot of success with any of her collabs lately.

3 hours ago, tscott said:

Again, those were Madonna projects, funded by her and her team.  People should be taking this up with The Weeknd and Sam Smith teams which are behind these releases.  On one hand, you'd think you'd want to do a video with the Queen of pop, but she hasn't really had a lot of success with any of her collabs lately.

I’m not sure if this is still a thing but artists used to have to pay out of their earnings for music videos. 
That would mean that Sam would have to pay out of pocket for the video, not even the label 

6 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I’m not sure if this is still a thing but artists used to have to pay out of their earnings for music videos. 
That would mean that Sam would have to pay out of pocket for the video, not even the label 

Many artists are advanced so much money to help promote their latest albums, including videos. This is always paid back from earnings/profits.  That is why most artists won't pay out of their own pocket.  Madonna has always been pretty strict about spending money.  I always got the impression, unless the record company wasn't willing to pay for the video, she rarely spent her own money.  I'm sure there were exceptions, but that probably depended on how much money she was already making.

I'm still positive we're gonna have new M music, maybe just one song or so, close to the debut night or during the tour and that's where we'll probably get a promo video. Her silence is kind of suspitious, she's gonna start this with a surprise effect imo.

Vulgar and Popular are the best things she made in years of inexplicable collabs, but are just side projects, her real thing is still to come.

39 minutes ago, tscott said:

Many artists are advanced so much money to help promote their latest albums, including videos. This is always paid back from earnings/profits.  That is why most artists won't pay out of their own pocket.  Madonna has always been pretty strict about spending money.  I always got the impression, unless the record company wasn't willing to pay for the video, she rarely spent her own money.  I'm sure there were exceptions, but that probably depended on how much money she was already making.

Haha I’m sure Warner would have never shelled out 4 million dollars for Bedtime Story. 
But yeah, at least for LAP they did pay for the videos cause she said how she convinced her to do a high budget video for Oh Father and then they forced her to do Vogue on a tight budget

1 hour ago, stefo said:

I'm still positive we're gonna have new M music, maybe just one song or so, close to the debut night or during the tour and that's where we'll probably get a promo video. Her silence is kind of suspitious, she's gonna start this with a surprise effect imo.

Vulgar and Popular are the best things she made in years of inexplicable collabs, but are just side projects, her real thing is still to come.

Her collaborating with Max Martin, makes me wonder if they produced a song that is nostalgic which may be premiered with the tour.  It's a perfect way to gain attention for a new song for herself.  Whether that happens or not, we'll have to see.  It's a perfect opportunity to premiere a new song since other typical avenues aren't really working for her.  I don't expect anything huge from it, but it may be the closet we get to "new music".  She's always been opportunist and used whatever it takes to gain attention for something new.  

57 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Haha I’m sure Warner would have never shelled out 4 million dollars for Bedtime Story. 
But yeah, at least for LAP they did pay for the videos cause she said how she convinced her to do a high budget video for Oh Father and then they forced her to do Vogue on a tight budget

But I think she had a hunch "Vogue" was going to do something.  The whole idea that it was going to be a "B-side" seems to been something quickly abandoned by everyone.

7 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

This still happens and now it's even worse with the 360 deals: the label getting money not only from the music but also from the tours, merch sales, etc.

The artist ALWAYS has to pay back to the label. It's like a mortgage. And once every spend the label has done for them is covered, then they get something. If the project is a flop and they don't, the label loses money of course.

Shirley Manson from Garbage explained years later how when they were with Interscope the label threw big party releases that the band didn't have any decision with but had to pay later with their royalties. Or being picked up with limousines for promotion, etc. etc. Big spending decisions not approved by them - but payed by them later.

Artists also pay back for studio time, of course.

That's why Madonna was always sensible with money and videos, and also studio time. It's her own money in the end. Actually she's quoted to have said "Time is money and money is mine!" many times.

21 hours ago, Andreo said:

We got three videos for Frozen remix but not even one for TWO new singles. I can't. 

This is a huge problem with modern-day Madonna. 

Material Gworllll, Frozen and Hung Up On TikTok all got videos. The WKND, Sam Smith and Dua Lipa, some of the days biggest artists with the best metrics of having a hit got fuck all. She's the queen of self sabotage at times. 

Madonna not being on a label must make collaboration with other artists super easy. Everyone she's collabed with is on a different label. 

I imagine all this collaboration will stop when she's signed her life away again. IF she does that.

Where is the money in music now? Do albums makes sense financially? It will be interesting to see her next business move. I didn't quite understand the importance of the 360 deal when she did it. But I see that the business had already begun to change by then. So I wonder what's next. There doesn't seem to be ANY money in the music industry to my eyes. But I obviously know nothing of what goes on. Maybe she stays without a label and does whatever she wants?

14 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

Where is the money in music now? Do albums makes sense financially? It will be interesting to see her next business move. I didn't quite understand the importance of the 360 deal when she did it. But I see that the business had already begun to change by then. So I wonder what's next. There doesn't seem to be ANY money in the music industry to my eyes. But I obviously know nothing of what goes on. Maybe she stays without a label and does whatever she wants?

Money is in touring, but for the big artists like her only, the medium and small ones are even having trouble to make a decent living from it in the post Cover era (inflation, etc.). There's also good money on full sales (digital and physical, I always insist that the box sets and endless color vinyls is where the money is, look at every artist today, the labels wouldn't even bother if there wasn't good profit there), not that much on streaming, though the artists with millions of streams make a good income from it if they have decent agreements with their labels.

What else? Song placements on movies, TV series, ads... That can be VERY lucrative if her songs are chosen for big, big spots. Supposedly Warner was going to help her with that with the new deal. "Like A Prayer" on "The Idol" surely was in exchange of a good amount of money - OR maybe she agreed to give them permission to use in exchange of being on a song with The Weeknd to raise her profile, but I don't think so.

And of course the good old deal with brands... look at Gaga promoting Big Pharma pills now. :Madonna003:

The fact of the matter is that videos are expensive and don't move the needle nearly as much as they did in the 80s and 90s. Its not how most people digest music these days - especially with the advent of Tik Tok and Instagram stories.

Yes, I miss music videos but look at Beyonce who had one of the biggest albums of 2022: no videos. She didn't need them.

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic