VULGAR

deathproof

24 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Money is in touring, but for the big artists like her only, the medium and small ones are even having trouble to make a decent living from it in the post Cover era (inflation, etc.). There's also good money on full sales (digital and physical, I always insist that the box sets and endless color vinyls is where the money is, look at every artist today, the labels wouldn't even bother if there wasn't good profit there), not that much on streaming, though the artists with millions of streams make a good income from it if they have decent agreements with their labels.

What else? Song placements on movies, TV series, ads... That can be VERY lucrative if her songs are chosen for big, big spots. Supposedly Warner was going to help her with that with the new deal. "Like A Prayer" on "The Idol" surely was in exchange of a good amount of money - OR maybe she agreed to give them permission to use in exchange of being on a song with The Weeknd to raise her profile, but I don't think so.

And of course the good old deal with brands... look at Gaga promoting Big Pharma pills now. :Madonna003:

I think people forget that Hung Up was used in a Motorola commercial before the song even came out. We thought nothing of it at the time, but it's quite obvious she came up with the title FOR the Advertisement. Just like I think she made Gimme All Your Luvin FOR the Super Bowl. With the cheerleader chanting and the football video. People used to discredit that idea. But I think she is just good at making a business deal look natural to a degree. Thank god she bystepped the era where people were putting products and ads in their music videos. That always looked so trashy to me. Even if it was their own perfume. 

1 hour ago, RUADJAI said:

I think people forget that Hung Up was used in a Motorola commercial before the song even came out. We thought nothing of it at the time, but it's quite obvious she came up with the title FOR the Advertisement. Just like I think she made Gimme All Your Luvin FOR the Super Bowl. With the cheerleader chanting and the football video. People used to discredit that idea. But I think she is just good at making a business deal look natural to a degree. Thank god she bystepped the era where people were putting products and ads in their music videos. That always looked so trashy to me. Even if it was their own perfume. 

Actually, there was a product placement in the GMAYL video.  Smirnoff Vodka.  If you recall, there was even a limited remix edition of the MDNA album called, "Smirnoff Nightlife Edition".  There was even a party event at the Magnum Club sponsored by Smirnoff.  

I'm not sure I buy that she came up with the title for Hung Up based off of her involvement with Motorola, but I can see how one could think that.  I'm betting her management or the record company came up with that concept based on that being the lead single and conveniently called "Hung Up". 

But yeah regarding the conversation here with @Prayer,  I agree she's been always tight when spending money.  If I recall, in some of her early days, she would be fronted so much money for videos and promotion, but spend as less as she could and pocket the rest.  I'm sure that got harder as her videos started to become more lavish and more expensive.  Also, she is good at getting people to do things for "free" for her.  I'm sure there is always a trade off/favor in exchange there. 

I don't really fault Madonna for not making videos for songs like Vulgar, Popular and Levitating.  That is on the artists and their labels the song is on.  Also, I do believe the music video is sort of dead these days.  These days, it's about 'shorts' that are shared on social media platforms. Going viral for some goofy video that may not even include the artists themselves can go a long way for an artist these days. 

How time has changed.  :)

12 hours ago, tscott said:

Actually, there was a product placement in the GMAYL video.  Smirnoff Vodka.  If you recall, there was even a limited remix edition of the MDNA album called, "Smirnoff Nightlife Edition".  There was even a party event at the Magnum Club sponsored by Smirnoff.  

I'm not sure I buy that she came up with the title for Hung Up based off of her involvement with Motorola, but I can see how one could think that.  I'm betting her management or the record company came up with that concept based on that being the lead single and conveniently called "Hung Up". 

But yeah regarding the conversation here with @Prayer,  I agree she's been always tight when spending money.  If I recall, in some of her early days, she would be fronted so much money for videos and promotion, but spend as less as she could and pocket the rest.  I'm sure that got harder as her videos started to become more lavish and more expensive.  Also, she is good at getting people to do things for "free" for her.  I'm sure there is always a trade off/favor in exchange there. 

I don't really fault Madonna for not making videos for songs like Vulgar, Popular and Levitating.  That is on the artists and their labels the song is on.  Also, I do believe the music video is sort of dead these days.  These days, it's about 'shorts' that are shared on social media platforms. Going viral for some goofy video that may not even include the artists themselves can go a long way for an artist these days. 

How time has changed.  :)

Oh yeah. I forgot about Smirnoff. 😂 She never did it again though right? 

Now I’m wondering if MDNA Skin paid for the Madame X videos. :OML:

13 hours ago, Prayer said:

Money is in touring, but for the big artists like her only, the medium and small ones are even having trouble to make a decent living from it in the post Cover era (inflation, etc.). There's also good money on full sales (digital and physical, I always insist that the box sets and endless color vinyls is where the money is, look at every artist today, the labels wouldn't even bother if there wasn't good profit there), not that much on streaming, though the artists with millions of streams make a good income from it if they have decent agreements with their labels.

What else? Song placements on movies, TV series, ads... That can be VERY lucrative if her songs are chosen for big, big spots. Supposedly Warner was going to help her with that with the new deal. "Like A Prayer" on "The Idol" surely was in exchange of a good amount of money - OR maybe she agreed to give them permission to use in exchange of being on a song with The Weeknd to raise her profile, but I don't think so.

And of course the good old deal with brands... look at Gaga promoting Big Pharma pills now. :Madonna003:

You forgot about holographic sleeves

13 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

Was'nt the same with the Luc Besson's tandem for Love Profusion/Estée Lauder?

I remember Stuart mentioning in an interview, that Madonna came out with the chorus of Hung up (and the title) when he played for her the tune he did sampling ABBA.

He already tested the song and when she asked him for some disco vibes music to use in her project with Besson, he played the promo song as we know it.

She is no stranger to commercial tie ins

Smirnoff - MDNA

Gap Jeans - Hollywood

Estee Lauder - Love Profusion

Motorola - Hung Up

Mitsubishi - True Blue / Spotlight / Rescue Me 

BMW - WIFLFAG era

Ariake Japan tv - Jump

Pepsi - Like A Prayer

H&M - post Confessions

Peugeot - Open Your Heart

Sunsilk hair straighteners - 4 Minutes

Max Factor + Microsoft -  Ray Of Light

Takara Shochi - Take A Bow era

Reebok- Who’s That Girl Tour

Express Yourself - Vogue - Pioneer

I also remember a Coca Cola ad for WTG tour too

Im sure Miles Away was used as the theme for a Japanese TV show at some point too. 

Wasn’t Living For Love or Ghosttown used to promote some app like Snapchat ?

10 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Smirnoff - MDNA

Gap Jeans - Hollywood

Motorola - Hung Up

BMW - WIFLFAG era

Ariake Japan tv - Jump

Pepsi - Like A Prayer

H&M - post Confessions

Im sure Miles Away was used as the theme for a Japanese TV show at some point too. 

Living for Love premiered on Snapchat

Ghosttown premiered on an app called Meerkat that no one had ever heard of

For snapchat they had to release a video with instructions on how to view the LFL video because no one over 30 knew how to work it

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

Smirnoff - MDNA

Gap Jeans - Hollywood

Motorola - Hung Up

BMW - WIFLFAG era

Ariake Japan tv - Jump

Pepsi - Like A Prayer

H&M - post Confessions

She did the Louis Vuitton  & Dolce Gabbana campaigns too

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic