VULGAR

deathproof

3 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

My expectations were very low and it’s doing better than I thought. Even though Unholy was a hit I don’t think Sam Smith is that huge, compared to other artists like Taylor Swift or The Weeknd 

I feel like the labels did pretty well with all the press and getting the song on radio (when’s the last time a new Madonna song got added on radio?) 

But I keep saying, this really needs a video to truly take off. Hopefully they considered that and one is on the way

I called this from the start, but some were insistent that Vulgar was going to be a huge hit.  While those same people were saying Popular would flop.  I knew Popular would do better and it still has better potential to rebound in the charts.  The fact is; The Weeknd is extremely popular at the moment, and has a better reception with the GP.   Unfortunately, Sam and Madonna doesn't.  That said; I am surprised Popular is declining so quickly, but like mentioned it has great potential to rebound, especially when the song appears in an upcoming The Idol episode. 

But @Prayerhas made great points in his posts regarding the success both tracks have had so far.  I also agree that Sam's team seems to drop the ball in rolling this song out there.  At least, there has been a huge push for Popular to radio and that's another reason why that song has done better as well as the astronomical streams it's receiving.

I agree Vulgar needs a video.  But I suspect, both Madonna and Sam didn't expect much reception would come of it, no matter what they did.  I think they just wanted to put it out there to annoy the shit out of their worst critics.  I knew Vulgar would appeal to the fanbase more than the GP.  But unfortunately, the fanbase isn't enough to score a huge hit these days.  The GP has to be more accepting, and the song needs radio support.  Unfortunately, just about anything Madonna does these days, Radio doesn't want to touch. It's like she's poison.  I'm shocked Popular is getting as much radio spins as it has, but I suspect that's because The Weeknd team has really pushed the song out there.

1 minute ago, androiduser said:

but.... how is it annoying if it doesn't do that well and doesn't get heard?

Oh, it's being heard and I'm sure the people they were aiming it at, have heard it.  Nearly 5 million Spotify streams alone is hardly a song getting heard.  This isn't counting the countless other platforms that have made it available.  It's just not the sort of song the GP wants to hear on repeat.  Fans may find replay value to it, but again, they get it. They know it's all tongue and cheek and a slap at the critics.  Songs like this, usually don't connect with the general public which is needed for anything to be a "true"  hit. 

3 hours ago, tscott said:

I called this from the start, but some were insistent that Vulgar was going to be a huge hit.  While those same people were saying Popular would flop.  I knew Popular would do better and it still has better potential to rebound in the charts.  The fact is; The Weeknd is extremely popular at the moment, and has a better reception with the GP.   Unfortunately, Sam and Madonna doesn't.  That said; I am surprised Popular is declining so quickly, but like mentioned it has great potential to rebound, especially when the song appears in an upcoming The Idol episode. 

But @Prayerhas made great points in his posts regarding the success both tracks have had so far.  I also agree that Sam's team seems to drop the ball in rolling this song out there.  At least, there has been a huge push for Popular to radio and that's another reason why that song has done better as well as the astronomical streams it's receiving.

I agree Vulgar needs a video.  But I suspect, both Madonna and Sam didn't expect much reception would come of it, no matter what they did.  I think they just wanted to put it out there to annoy the shit out of their worst critics.  I knew Vulgar would appeal to the fanbase more than the GP.  But unfortunately, the fanbase isn't enough to score a huge hit these days.  The GP has to be more accepting, and the song needs radio support.  Unfortunately, just about anything Madonna does these days, Radio doesn't want to touch. It's like she's poison.  I'm shocked Popular is getting as much radio spins as it has, but I suspect that's because The Weeknd team has really pushed the song out there.

Isn’t the radio playing Vulgar though?

I don’t think the song is doing bad or is a flop by any means. 4 million streams is nothing to sneeze at. But let’s face it it’s not a major lead single with a lot of money behind it and it’s not a pop masterpiece. I don’t know why people assumed it’s gonna be any bigger than it is. 
but also I see potential for it to take off more through organic growth on social media like Frozen. But that can happen next week or in 5 years or never.

Im just glad that Madonna seems to be the star of this duet and she gets a lot of praise for her feature. 

1 minute ago, thegoldencalf said:

Isn’t the radio playing Vulgar though?

I don’t think the song is doing bad or is a flop by any means. 4 million streams is nothing to sneeze at. But let’s face it it’s not a major lead single with a lot of money behind it and it’s not a pop masterpiece. I don’t know why people assumed it’s gonna be any bigger than it is. 
but also I see potential for it to take off more through organic growth on social media like Frozen. But that can happen next week or in 5 years or never 

I'm sure it's getting some radio airplay, but I'm not seeing a lot of evidence of the song really gaining any traction on that format compared to Popular.

And you're right, it's hardly a "flop" in the way you and I see it, being streaming is seeing decent numbers.  Unfortunately, it still requires much more streams, far more radio and pop culture impact for it to really be a hit like some are wanting it.  This means, people even beyond the fan base have to show a lot more interest in the song and stream the hell out of it.   

I never thought it was going to be that massive either.  But you're right, there is always a chance that it may still take off or gain traction weeks, if not years down the line. But that can happen with about anything under the right circumstances.  I mean; who'd ever thought "Back that up the to the Beat" would have gone viral as it had. 

27 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

Didn’t Madonna went from being a nobody in Spotify to being artist #69 in a matter of weeks, what people are complaining now off??? 

She was hardly a nobody. Which for a woman her age and relevance in this climate is a great feat. They’ve been chipping away at her streaming status for over a year now and it was already working. 
But yes being #69 (pun intended?) is huge for her. 
People here are complaining because they are expecting another huge era like Vogue or Hung Up.
It’s totally doable but it takes time to build relevance in the streaming era after years of damage. 

27 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

She was hardly a nobody. Which for a woman her age and relevance in this climate is a great feat. They’ve been chipping away at her streaming status for over a year now and it was already working. 
People here are complaining because they are expecting another huge era like Vogue or Hung Up.
It’s totally doable but it takes time to build relevance in the streaming era after years of damage. 

I hope my “being a nobody” is understood as a joke. I don’t follow her chart success and couldn’t care, but obviously I want her to be worshipped and recognized by the world so any advancements in that regards are always welcomed, I love her to go higher than #69 (though the number is so fitting). 😁

15 minutes ago, Pedro Beltran said:

I hope my “being a nobody” is understood as a joke. I don’t follow her chart success and couldn’t care, but obviously I want her to be worshipped and recognized by the world so any advancements in that regards are always welcomed, I love her to go higher than #69 (though the number is so fitting). 😁

I get what you are saying.  But it's true, she's jumped tremendously in trending and streaming.  Since Popular, she's managed to jump over 100 positions.  Popular alone made great strides and Vulgar is keeping the momentum strong. 

I'm doubting she'll ever reach "Vogue" status again, and most likely not "Hung Up" or "4 Minutes" either.  But whether some fans like or dislike one, either or both of the songs, she's making some huge strides here. The key now is to transition this attention to her own back catalog, her tour and anything new she does on her own. 

So while some try to find any way to dismiss or demean what's going on here, they are missing an opportunity to step up and help make her a further success.  I'd say if you are spending a lot of your time in fan groups discussing Madonna, you are still greatly interested in her or simply trolling.   I don't expect the latter to be helpful, but if you are someone who is interesting to see her career rejuvenated, then let's welcome and appreciate this new found success.  Maybe find new ways in helping her get more exposure even if it's sharing some of her back catalog. 

5 minutes ago, tscott said:

I get what you are saying.  But it's true, she's jumped tremendously in trending and streaming.  Since Popular, she's managed to jump over 100 positions.  Popular alone made great strides and Vulgar is keeping the momentum strong. 

I'm doubting she'll ever reach "Vogue" status again, and most likely not "Hung Up" or "4 Minutes" either.  But whether some fans like or dislike one, either or both of the songs, she's making some huge strides here. The key now is to transition this attention to her own back catalog, her tour and anything new she does on her own. 

So while some try to find any way to dismiss or demean what's going on here, they are missing an opportunity to step up and help make her a further success.  I'd say if you are spending a lot of your time in fan groups discussing Madonna, you are still greatly interested in her or simply trolling.   I don't expect the latter to be helpful, but if you are someone who is interesting to see her career rejuvenated, then let's welcome and appreciate this new found success.  Maybe find new ways in helping her get more exposure even if it's sharing some of her back catalog. 

I wouldn’t write her off just yet. If she keeps advancing in the streaming charts and the tour is well received by the mainstream she could totally score another number one, provided she releases something as universally catchy as Kylie’s Padam. 

1 hour ago, thegoldencalf said:

I wouldn’t write her off just yet. If she keeps advancing in the streaming charts and the tour is well received by the mainstream she could totally score another number one, provided she releases something as universally catchy as Kylie’s Padam. 

I hope my post didn't come off as "writing her off"?  It's just I'm trying to keep it all in perspective.  Staying realistic.  She's a 64 year old pop star.  A lot of people have already tried to put her out to pasture.  So I hold on to hope, these features she's doing, and have a decent run or comeback with them. Hopefully some fans can appreciate it and see how it can help her.

7 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Yeah same people that if that happens with either of these songs will go saying how Madonna can't have a hit anymore by herself.

I think this song was a spontaneous  collaboration to boost both of their tour tickets. While creating a bit of social clout and presence.

I don't think they are planning to make further effort than share it around and hope for some virality.

Same with Popular. it's a collaboration to boost and promote the series.

I don't take them as Madonna releases per se. But they help to get her presence in place , and right now that's what she needs.

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic