VULGAR

deathproof

7 minutes ago, f78k said:

Apparently, Sam has already moved on… 

IMG_7600.jpeg

Looks like Sam and Team Sam were never into "Vulgar" anyway, only a Madonna collaboration to add to the CV. Now onto the next one.

Terrible release and it's sad cause the song is actually good. But what a waste of everybody's time. Next.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

Looks like Sam and Team Sam were never into "Vulgar" anyway, only a Madonna collaboration to add to the CV. Now onto the next one.

Terrible release and it's sad cause the song is actually good. But what a waste of everybody's time. Next.

I never thought the song was meant for mass public consumption.  I always felt they were throwing a "fuck you" song out there just because they could.  There is no way the public would have really grabbed onto this song nor did I expect it to be a hit.  So with that said, I don't see it as a "waste of everybody's time" because it definitely reached a lot of the fans who do like it.  :)

22 hours ago, tscott said:

I never thought the song was meant for mass public consumption.  I always felt they were throwing a "fuck you" song out there just because they could.  There is no way the public would have really grabbed onto this song nor did I expect it to be a hit.  So with that said, I don't see it as a "waste of everybody's time" because it definitely reached a lot of the fans who do like it.  :)

Agree - same - just a silly track create some publicity and move on.

Yes let's blame Sam & their team. Nothing to do with the fact that Madonna was balls deep in tour rehearsals and had no time for them. You really think an artist like Sam wouldn't want to capture a collaboration with the biggest female artist of all time on celluloid?

Madonna does what Madonna wants to do. Also see Dua Lipa. This is Madonnas team no one else's peeps. 

6 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Yes let's blame Sam & their team. Nothing to do with the fact that Madonna was balls deep in tour rehearsals and had no time for them. You really think an artist like Sam wouldn't want to capture a collaboration with the biggest female artist of all time on celluloid?

Madonna does what Madonna wants to do. Also see Dua Lipa. This is Madonnas team no one else's peeps. 

At least Dua cared to do proper visuals for her song, with or without Madonna.

All Sam did was an epileptic lyric video, and Instagram reel two weeks late and then moved on into Calvin Harris. Check ✔️ and next ➡️

On 7/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, Prayer said:

She released a song you like and it's a "waste of everybody's time"?

You can't just enjoy it?

Does it need to be a runaway hit for you to enjoy it?

Does your enjoyment hinge on it being popular?

I'm generally perplexed by the attitude of fans here sometimes.

29 minutes ago, DJ N A said:

She released a song you like and it's a "waste of everybody's time"?

You can't just enjoy it?

Does it need to be a runaway hit for you to enjoy it?

Does your enjoyment hinge on it being popular?

I'm generally perplexed by the attitude of fans here sometimes.

She released a song you like and it's a "waste of everybody's time"? -> It is cause it missed its full commercial potential due to the lack of effort and promotional push from Sam's label (they released it, not Madonna's label). By the way, both Sam and Madonna do commercial mainstream pop music, in case you haven't noticed, they're not indie artists.

You can't just enjoy it?? -> I can, in fact I'm a huge defender of 10's decade Madonna and it was commercially a flop in general terms. I still love my "MDNA" and "Madame X" ("Rebel Heart" too).

Does it need to be a runaway hit for you to enjoy it? -> No, same reply as above.

Does your enjoyment hinge on it being popular? -> No, same reply as two above. (Please don't repeat the same question over and over!).

I'm generally perplexed by the attitude of fans here sometimes. -> Tell me about it!

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

It is cause it missed its full commercial potential due to the lack of effort and promotional push from Sam's label (they released it, not Madonna's label). By the way, both Sam and Madonna do commercial mainstream pop music, in case you haven't noticed, they're not indie artists.

You really think Vulgar had "full commercial potential"?  If they put anymore time into pushing this song,  I'd think it would have been a "waste of time" IMO.  I like it enough, but it's hardly got commercial appeal.  I still feel it was just a "fuck you" song they wanted to throw out there with really no intention of making it commercial.

I do agree that the release was pretty much in Sam's ball court, so if they wanted to try to make anything of it, they would have had to put a lot more effort in the release than they did.  :)

33 minutes ago, tscott said:

You really think Vulgar had "full commercial potential"?  If they put anymore time into pushing this song,  I'd think it would have been a "waste of time" IMO.  I like it enough, but it's hardly got commercial appeal.  I still feel it was just a "fuck you" song they wanted to throw out there with really no intention of making it commercial.

I do agree that the release was pretty much in Sam's ball court, so if they wanted to try to make anything of it, they would have had to put a lot more effort in the release than they did.  :)

I mean:

- Madonna: huge historic LGTBIQ+ appeal

- Sam: huge current LGTBIQ+ appeal

- Released in Pride month

Yes, it had a decent commercial potential. It was never going to be "Unholy" part II, for sure, but at least a decent UK Top 20/Top 30 hit? Surely. Instead it was #69.

It's not only the lack of a music video, that's not the main issue really. It's the lack of promo effort from Sam's label. The snippets strategy was TRAGIC. Pushing (paying) for it to be on the big playlists, doing social media ads. I swear I started to see "Vulgar" ads on my Instagram TWO WEEKS after it was released. Same time Sam uploaded the reel dancing to it. The timing was terrible.

They didn't care, it was just another single or maybe they saw the Madonna song this Summer was going to be "Popular" and decided not to bother in the end. Maybe something happened behind the scenes and they didn't know about "Popular" coming at the same time or whatever, who knows. But it's been a wasted opportunity.

For the record, I still like "Vulgar" of course, actually way more than "Popular". I'm talking about commercial performance all the time, not if the song is good or bad (which is all personal taste in the end anyway).

33 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I mean:

- Madonna: huge historic LGTBIQ+ appeal

- Sam: huge current LGTBIQ+ appeal

- Released in Pride month

Yes, it had a decent commercial potential. It was never going to be "Unholy" part II, for sure, but at least a decent UK Top 20/Top 30 hit? Surely. Instead it was #69.

It's not only the lack of a music video, that's not the main issue really. It's the lack of promo effort from Sam's label. The snippets strategy was TRAGIC. Pushing (paying) for it to be on the big playlists, doing social media ads. I swear I started to see "Vulgar" ads on my Instagram TWO WEEKS after it was released. Same time Sam uploaded the reel dancing to it. The timing was terrible.

They didn't care, it was just another single or maybe they saw the Madonna song this Summer was going to be "Popular" and decided not to bother in the end. Maybe something happened behind the scenes and they didn't know about "Popular" coming at the same time or whatever, who knows. But it's been a wasted opportunity.

For the record, I still like "Vulgar" of course, actually way more than "Popular". I'm talking about commercial performance all the time, not if the song is good or bad (which is all personal taste in the end anyway).

I guess that I don't see it as a lack of effort on their part when they most likely had no intention in pushing it to do anymore than it did.  I guess it's possible that it could have been a "decent" hit, but I really don't think it would have done too much better.  Like mentioned, I just feel they just wanted to throw something out there for fun and annoy their detractors at the same time. 

Then there is something to say how the song reach #69 on the UK Charts. Maybe I'm reaching for a conspiracy theory here, but it's awful convenient for a song that was released on 6/9 as well.  Seems like a wild coincidence? Hmmm?