VULGAR

deathproof

9 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

It's true. The original meaning of the word vulgar referred to the common, the popular or something that had nothing new or unusual. Over time the meaning of this word was distorted and acquired a negative and pejorative meaning (perhaps promoted by the upper classes who associated this word with the lower classes) and ended up being used to refer to the lack of manners and elegance both in the way of speaking as in the way of behaving and certainly offensive and unpleasant in its most superlative degree.

And it is this last meaning, the most used today, on which I base my comment and the aforementioned examples of vulgarity and that have nothing positive and should not be used as an example by anyone. It is enough to analyze the lyrics of the Vulgar song to verify that Sam and Madonna are also referring to this current meaning of the word Vulgar and not to its original meaning.

Anyone who decides to rely on vulgarity to imprint a message on the conscience of others or achieve radical changes in society is likely to fail in the attempt. That is why I think that Sam Smith should use a more intelligent strategy than using vulgarity to fight against those phobias that still persist in society and that are similar to a cancer that refuses to disappear from our body despite all the chemotherapies received. An obvious consequence of this bad strategy is the huge number of fans who are stopping following him because they don't welcome such a radical change in their favorite artist. And I, as a Madonna fan, don't want the same fate for her.

I like Sam Smith. But I am not that much familiar with their work. I thoroughly enjoyed their ‘ I’m not here to make friends’ video and their performance of ‘human Nature’ which I saw on video and not live. I think they are being themself and are merely dealing with the criticisms they face defiantly and with humor.  And Madonna had done the same throughout her career. I think Sam Smith is very intelligent and a decent person. Their art is not Vulgar in the sense you put it. It is purposeful, just like Madonna’s. And if they are losing their followers, I don’t think it’s for reasons you said but for ignorance. Personally I think I would have loved and I think would have hugely benefited to have had such an artist  growing up. I am not a non binary person, I am a cis male. But the idea of thinking of gender on a spectrum, I do find very liberating and healthy. Their not being skinny or ripped is also a breath of fresh air. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe in having a healthy body, but should we all aspire to look like a male model? NO. For these reasons I love Sam Smith. But as I said I am not familiar with a lot of their work, so would you tell me how they were just vulgar for the sake of it?

54 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

It's true. The original meaning of the word vulgar referred to the common, the popular or something that had nothing new or unusual. Over time the meaning of this word was distorted and acquired a negative and pejorative meaning (perhaps promoted by the upper classes who associated this word with the lower classes) and ended up being used to refer to the lack of manners and elegance both in the way of speaking as in the way of behaving and certainly offensive and unpleasant in its most superlative degree.

And it is this last meaning, the most used today, on which I base my comment and the aforementioned examples of vulgarity and that have nothing positive and should not be used as an example by anyone. It is enough to analyze the lyrics of the Vulgar song to verify that Sam and Madonna are also referring to this current meaning of the word Vulgar and not to its original meaning.

Anyone who decides to rely on vulgarity to imprint a message on the conscience of others or achieve radical changes in society is likely to fail in the attempt. That is why I think that Sam Smith should use a more intelligent strategy than using vulgarity to fight against those phobias that still persist in society and that are similar to a cancer that refuses to disappear from our body despite all the chemotherapies received. An obvious consequence of this bad strategy is the huge number of fans who are stopping following him because they don't welcome such a radical change in their favorite artist. And I, as a Madonna fan, don't want the same fate for her.

Unholy was a #1 song on the US Billboard charts, UK charts, Canadian charts, and a number of other countries.  If Sam Smith lost any followers because they wanted dreary ballads like Stay With Me, he would have gained several to replace them by the fact that it was a massive song globally.  Unless you have actual metrics regarding him losing followers (on instagram??) I don't think what you're saying actually happened.  I would bet money that he gained followers after Unholy despite (or possibly because of) the vulgarity of it all.

9 minutes ago, luckypierre78 said:

Unholy was a #1 song on the US Billboard charts, UK charts, Canadian charts, and a number of other countries.  If Sam Smith lost any followers because they wanted dreary ballads like Stay With Me, he would have gained several to replace them by the fact that it was a massive song globally.  Unless you have actual metrics regarding him losing followers (on instagram??) I don't think what you're saying actually happened.  I would bet money that he gained followers after Unholy despite (or possibly because of) the vulgarity of it all.

His current album does contain a number of those usual ballads he's known for.  He's just exploring like any artist should do.  The truth is, we all know that sticking to one formula doesn't always cut it with all artists.  He knew he had to switch it up and right now he's showing a fun and naughty side.  I applaud him.

3 minutes ago, tscott said:

His current album does contain a number of those usual ballads he's known for.  He's just exploring like any artist should do.  The truth is, we all know that sticking to one formula doesn't always cut it with all artists.  He knew he had to switch it up and right now he's showing a fun and naughty side.  I applaud him.

Oh yes I like Gloria better than most of the previous albums and their cover of Donna Summer's I Feel Love has been on my pride playlist since it came out.  

To be fair I can kind of see what Chaosmen might be referring to with conservative media highlighting Sam and Kim's performances as examples of "demonic" behaviour and stoking the culture wars.  It's really  nothing different than the outrage over Madonna's Like A Virgin VMA performance in the wedding dress in the 80's.  Anything to anger the audience so they keep watching and give them ad revenue.  It really doesn't seem like it hurt the success of the song so I don't know why it would be any different for Vulgar.

1 minute ago, luckypierre78 said:

Oh yes I like Gloria better than most of the previous albums and their cover of Donna Summer's I Feel Love has been on my pride playlist since it came out.  

To be fair I can kind of see what Chaosmen might be referring to with conservative media highlighting Sam and Kim's performances as examples of "demonic" behaviour and stoking the culture wars.  It's really  nothing different than the outrage over Madonna's Like A Virgin VMA performance in the wedding dress in the 80's.  Anything to anger the audience so they keep watching and give them ad revenue.  It really doesn't seem like it hurt the success of the song so I don't know why it would be any different for Vulgar.

Oh I assume conservative media will be horrible to Sam and Madonna over this song, especially in the U.S.  In fact, I fear the current vibe going on regarding Popular will get killed for Madonna once her duet with Sam is released.  You know the media and a lot of the general public are going hate on it.  And do we care?  No! But, I just hope it doesn't set back the current vibe and interest in her at the moment.  I do expect there will be a huge impact at first, but then it will probably quickly die off. It didn't help that the song leaked already because by next Friday, a lot of fans won't be as interested in streaming it compared to if they just heard on the actual release date.

9 minutes ago, luckypierre78 said:

Agreed.

18 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Is anyone gonna ignore that we are getting 2 collabs this 9th?

Madonna in The Queens new album too!So hyped

She's just speaking something minimal in three songs.  It's not as exciting as Vulgar.  I also don't believe it will get much attention other than from the fan base.

5 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

That is why I think that Sam Smith should use a more intelligent strategy than using vulgarity to fight against those phobias that still persist in society and that are similar to a cancer that refuses to disappear from our body despite all the chemotherapies received.

I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer

5 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

I think that to qualify someone as vulgar, they have to be vulgar all the time, be part of their essence and their personality and not simply because of certain sporadic episodes of vulgarity that may be intended to achieve controversy or seeking some particular objective.

Vulgar is vulgar, does not matter if it happens 1 time, 10 times or nonstop.... but noting is really automatically wrong with vulgar... we do not need a world that is high-class and elegant nonstop... snobbish morals and attitudes does not improve anything... quite the opposite.

I think the confusion here lies in the literal approach to the words and their meaning.

This song has nothing to do with them being vulgar. It's a term used on them by some figures in the media (Hi Piers) along demonic, dirty, disgusting etc.. That they appropriated and take the piss with, hence those lyrics.

'Say our names' etc it's a middle finger to what tabloids and the right wing media has to say about them. Telling them,: " Do you think we are trash? we are trash then Do you think we care? We don't care .Keep saying my name and you are giving me free advertising and engagement.'

It's an attitude of the rebel and someone against a system. Quite on brand with Madonna

8 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Is anyone gonna ignore that we are getting 2 collabs this 9th?

Madonna in The Queens new album too!So hyped

I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer but I think I’ll hear them once and that’s it. boring but good that she’s been mentioned everywhere. 

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic