POPULAR

22 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Well, I was only referring to the second place in the credits because naturally the owner of the song has to go first, that's indisputable. That is why I highlighted the examples of Dua Lipa and Quavo who officially placed Madonna in the second place of the credits and the other singers who participated in the last place as it should be.

The order of the factors does not change the product, it is a multiplication rule and it could also be used to analyze the success of a song in which many artists participate. But leaving aside that aspect of reproductions and sales, I still think that seeing Madonna in the last place is to detract from her importance. Perhaps in  songs where up to 3 artists participate this aspect is not so noticeable but imagine a song where 7, 8 or even 10 artists sing and Madonna is named at the end of all of them in the credits. Would you still think the same?

Are you referring to the placement of Madonna on Popular?  Because both The Weeknd and Playboi Carti are key writers on this track and Madonna is not.  While there are other writers included, Madonna isn't one of them.  So why do you think she deserves second billing when she didn't contribute nothing but her voice? Like you said, those who wrote and compose the song should deserve top billing.  She is simply a feature on the song.  Queen of pop or not,  whatever order she is placed in the song title, she's still listed as a contributor.  I think she was fairly represented in the tile of the song.  If she had contributed more than just her vocals then I'd be happy to argue she deserve at least "second" credit, but she didn't.  I'm sure Madonna could have easily demanded second billing on the song, but she didn't. Why?  Because even she appreciates the credit writers deserves over just someone offering their voice. 

9 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

An example of this is the song Lady Marmalade where Christina Aguilera, PInk, Lil Kim and Maya participated. The first place in the credits was naturally reserved for Christina Aguilera who was the most important and the most successful of that group because of her beautiful and wonderful records. The second place in the credits went to PInk and the last places to the other two singers whose fame, presence and global impact could not be compared to that of Christina Aguilera. This order in the credits, by the way, was respected in all the charts and in all the music channels worldwide.

There are 3 producers in the song: Missy Elliott (whom you forget who she is before) writing partner  Rockwilder and Ron Fair. Ron Fair was Christina's producer and he made clear that she will take part under the conditions of being the lead singer with the best show off parts. That was part of the drama between Christina and Pink at the time. Lil Kim had far more experience and background that Christina at the time, she was'nt a Disney sub-product thou, but she was part of Biggie's entourage back in the 90s. And she was friends with Missy and Rockwilder.

It wasn't about who was a star but who was putting the money for it.

1 hour ago, Magick said:

Can anyone help explain the Clean/Explicit versions to me? I dunno why one I bought the second it came out. At what timestamp should I check?

Speak bitch and say our fucking names = Speak now and say our say our names

if you ….with same tonight you …with me.

speak…. Say our….names!!

its that simple 😁

2 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

How's this for toxic - blocked this follower when I became aware of this - former Madonna fan that just trashes her on Twitter and YouTube but follows her and her fans closely..... 

no1.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-13 173037.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-13 173104.jpg

Screenshot 2023-06-13 173141.jpg

40+ years old bottoms doing Stan wars like 12yo...  Jesus Christ I'm almost sad for these people, :rip: like imagine fighting this hard just to prove someone is not as successful or good according to you, get back on Grindr honey 

With Popular, Madonna earns her first top 10 hit in Canada since 2012 (Give Me All Your Luvin, peaked at #1)

https://twitter.com/madonnaxdaily/status/1668558560748269568?s=20

— Madonna has now earned a top 10 hit in Canada in each of the last five decades ( 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s).
https://twitter.com/Madonna_Chart/status/1668515796291837952?s=20

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

Is she the first artist to have a billboard song chart in 5 successive decades or did Elton beat her to that or maybe MJ ?

She’s not. Also she’s not the first female artist as Cher did it.

However if she reaches Top 40, she’ll be the first female to do that in 5 decades.

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Is she the first artist to have a billboard song chart in 5 successive decades or did Elton beat her to that or maybe MJ ?

Not counting re-entries of festive songs:

-Michael Jackson 5 decades (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s)

10s:

2014 Love Never Felt So Good #9 (with Justin Timberlake)

2014 Slave To Rhytmn #45

2014 Billie Jean #14

2018 Don't Matter To Me #9 (with Drake)

-Paul McCartney 5 decades (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s)

10s:

2014 Only One #35 (with Kanye West)

2015 FourFiveSeconds #4 (with Rihanna & Kanye West)

2015 All Day #15 (with Kanye West)

-Elton John 5 decades (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 20s)

20s:

2021 Cold Heart #7 (with Dua Lipa)

2021 One Of Me #88 (with Lil Nas X)

2021 Merry Christmas #42 (with Ed Sheeran)

2022 Hold My Closer #6 (with Britney Spears)

(All have 6 decades if you consider re-entries of festive songs)

Obviously there are more artists, especially if you consider the re-entries of Christmas songs but I came to mind these 3 artists because I think that together with Madonna they are the only ones that had collaborations with current artists that entered the top 50 of the HOT 100.

21 hours ago, tscott said:

Are you referring to the placement of Madonna on Popular?  Because both The Weeknd and Playboi Carti are key writers on this track and Madonna is not.  While there are other writers included, Madonna isn't one of them.  So why do you think she deserves second billing when she didn't contribute nothing but her voice? Like you said, those who wrote and compose the song should deserve top billing.  She is simply a feature on the song.  Queen of pop or not,  whatever order she is placed in the song title, she's still listed as a contributor.  I think she was fairly represented in the tile of the song.  If she had contributed more than just her vocals then I'd be happy to argue she deserve at least "second" credit, but she didn't.  I'm sure Madonna could have easily demanded second billing on the song, but she didn't. Why?  Because even she appreciates the credit writers deserves over just someone offering their voice. 

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that Plaiboi carti was one of the writers. He definitely deserves to be at the top of the credits and even more so due to the great contribution that those deep and almost poetic lyrics that he sang during his participation in the song meant.

By the way, I just saw The Weeknd's Youtube account and even though they initially put Madonna in the last place of the credits then they posted another video of the song and this time Madonna appears second!! 

It is good that The Weeknd did not get carried away by these formalisms that establish that only the producers and writers of the songs go in the first places of the credits and decided to repair his "mistake" by giving Madonna the place she deserves because she is not any artist with a couple of hits who then disappears without a trace or loses popularity and then tries to regain it by releasing songs each more hideous and ridiculous than the last. No. Madonna is a legendary artist and a reference for the artists of these new generations. That is why I thank The Weeknd for not only calling her to sing on this beautiful song but also giving her the place she deserves in the credits despite not being involved in the production of the song. That speaks highly of him.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI featured this topic