POPULAR

24 minutes ago, Mden said:

Popular is nowhere near as good. 

Agreed but Masterpiece is one of a kind, was meant to be this way and it did in fact.

And to believe this wouldn't be performed at tour... Well, the Kalakan trio as choir to it kinda ruined it a little bit...

OT: Popular would be better if it weren't for Playboi Carti, we know he's pretty huge nowadays but his mumble rapping is... a mumble rapping.

2 hours ago, Anapausis said:

MDNA as both album and tour was just a colossal disaster to M. But my previous profile earned a reputation worth of getting burnt at the stake for only telling it - as well as the reasons that justify it. Guess people aren't ready to admit that. At least M did, hence RH full era.

I get you @Renato Iodice, MDNA and her other Interscope stuff were meant specificly for M's zealots in the context of new girls popping in the zone (and in MDNA case, ONE girl in particular), and we know how zealots are used to think...

Lay off the meth babes...

4 hours ago, valinecode said:

If you have to condemn an entire decade in order to write about how popular Popular is for you, then you're doing something wrong.
Girl Gone Wild, Masterpiece, Hard Candy?
OMG! Popular is 'so popular'

I like Hard Candy: I can't say it's among her best works, but at least it's a solid, "coherent" album with some killer tracks.

8 hours ago, Bjonkers said:

Lay off the meth babes...

Well, shall we see the similarities...

MDNA --> The Fame

Rebel Heart --> Red/Bangerz

Madame X --> basicly every new single in Portuguese, Spanish, or even English, but in this language the single must be done with the help of pots and pans just like that eponymous Charli XCX album

At least RH and MX had actual good output considering which was their input. MDNA was the frontal opposite.

About zealots part: just have in mind who were the girls who would compete directly with M for new passionate, avid fans, era by era. Now you get Interscope's goal?

Edited by Anapausis
I was a lil meth'ed, won't deny, but not enough to be like they think I am (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, xavier said:

Mmmhm...

Madonna's previous smash, "Vogue," also managed 14 weeks on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart before falling off the list.

What? "Vogue" R&B/Hip-Hop?

Checked Wikipedia and it was indeed on that list... weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogue_(Madonna_song)

Gotta say I love how Madonna's camp is milking the success of "Popular" with all these PR articles every few weeks. Well done.

I don't know why a minority of you are complaining about Popular being basic, it was never meant to be anything more than a fun little bop and nobody had interest in really promoting it. I am pleased that it seems to have so much stability on the charts. Nobody would rank it among Madonna or Abels best songs, its not Like A Prayer or Blinding Lights and again its not meant to be. I should also point out that I really appreciate how much Abel genuinely seems to like Madonna, he gave her a prominent part in the song and he has repeatedly shared positive stuff about her on his social media, its not like he just used her name for attention and gave her 5 seconds in the song. Things are finally starting to look up, she has gotten some good exposure, she is looking good lately in prep for Celebration Tour and opening night is getting close. I think all of us should be feeling very pleased. I just hope that everything goes off smoothly without any injury or disastrous performances., its time Madonna remind everyone why she is fucking Madonna.

6 hours ago, Fidel Castro said:

I don't know why a minority of you are complaining about Popular being basic, it was never meant to be anything more than a fun little bop and nobody had interest in really promoting it. I am pleased that it seems to have so much stability on the charts. Nobody would rank it among Madonna or Abels best songs, its not Like A Prayer or Blinding Lights and again its not meant to be. I should also point out that I really appreciate how much Abel genuinely seems to like Madonna, he gave her a prominent part in the song and he has repeatedly shared positive stuff about her on his social media, its not like he just used her name for attention and gave her 5 seconds in the song. Things are finally starting to look up, she has gotten some good exposure, she is looking good lately in prep for Celebration Tour and opening night is getting close. I think all of us should be feeling very pleased. I just hope that everything goes off smoothly without any injury or disastrous performances., its time Madonna remind everyone why she is fucking Madonna.

I guess this fine song is a tasty appetizer for a "bigger" collaboration... a whole album would be very welcomed, and it could help Madonna's career and popularity after a string of disappointing failures.

Rebel Heart was one of the best albums of 2015 according to several publications. It’s my favorite M album. Madame X is simply a masterpiece. Garnered great reviews from critics.  It’s among my top 6 M albums. Finally Enough Love is her best compilation album , at least in my opinion. And is the longest running top 100 album of it’s genre this century in the UK. Her recent collabs 11153D8B-C058-4B79-8A18-713CB12DDDC4.jpeg.6776b0cc179fab2fff91da31bd3abf20.jpegand remixes were fun and some did good numbers on Spotify. Her last two tours were commercial successes. RHT was among the top ten tours of that year. And both tours were praised by critics. The Madame X music videos were her best since Bedtime Stories. We even got a little doc. The World Of MX. What else ?  I’m sure there’s lots more. I’m in seventh heaven. 

edit: to summarize, there was no string of disappointing failures.

3 hours ago, Mden said:

Rebel Heart was one of the best albums of 2015 according to several publications. It’s my favorite M album. Madame X is simply a masterpiece. Garnered great reviews from critics.  It’s among my top 6 M albums. Finally Enough Love is her best compilation album , at least in my opinion. And is the longest running top 100 album of it’s genre this century in the UK. Her recent collabs 11153D8B-C058-4B79-8A18-713CB12DDDC4.jpeg.6776b0cc179fab2fff91da31bd3abf20.jpegand remixes were fun and some did good numbers on Spotify. Her last two tours were commercial successes. RHT was among the top ten tours of that year. And both tours were praised by critics. The Madame X music videos were her best since Bedtime Stories. We even got a little doc. The World Of MX. What else ?  I’m sure there’s lots more. I’m in seventh heaven. 

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

7 hours ago, Mden said:

Rebel Heart was one of the best albums of 2015 according to several publications. It’s my favorite M album. Madame X is simply a masterpiece. Garnered great reviews from critics.  It’s among my top 6 M albums. Finally Enough Love is her best compilation album , at least in my opinion. And is the longest running top 100 album of it’s genre this century in the UK. Her recent collabs 11153D8B-C058-4B79-8A18-713CB12DDDC4.jpeg.6776b0cc179fab2fff91da31bd3abf20.jpegand remixes were fun and some did good numbers on Spotify. Her last two tours were commercial successes. RHT was among the top ten tours of that year. And both tours were praised by critics. The Madame X music videos were her best since Bedtime Stories. We even got a little doc. The World Of MX. What else ?  I’m sure there’s lots more. I’m in seventh heaven. 

Você aprendeu português por causa desse álbum? Se sim, já me dou por contente! (Now I remember her saying "Estão contentes?" at RIT Lisbon footage!)

8 hours ago, Mden said:

RH was a big step in the right direction and spawned truly great tracks but the roll out, track list, visuals for each version of the album was messy as all fuck. Not cohesive and felt amateur.

MX also step in the right direction but if she had focused on natural, warm vocals for the songs, instead of her odd “artistic choice” of robotic vocals it would’ve been received better, IMO. That said I absolutely loved the MX shows I’ve been to. 
What she and her team keep missing is that we actually fucking love her voice. Us fans who’ve been around since the beginning have formed an emotional bond to that voice as kids. When it’s altered too much we can’t fall in love with it. Hence people loving her part in popular. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I really hope she comes around to love her own voice and focuses on that 110% on her next musical projects. It’s disheartening that it’s seemingly not important to her. 

But let’s try to stay on topic in the popular  thread. 

15 hours ago, DaddyZ said:

RH was a big step in the right direction and spawned truly great tracks but the roll out, track list, visuals for each version of the album was messy as all fuck. Not cohesive and felt amateur.

MX also step in the right direction but if she had focused on natural, warm vocals for the songs, instead of her odd “artistic choice” of robotic vocals it would’ve been received better, IMO. That said I absolutely loved the MX shows I’ve been to.

Yes, both of them were two missed opportunities.

• RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic