Why is the “Rain” b roll footage in color if it was supposedly shot in black and white

drivebitch

26 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Ok, was reading that it was shot in black and white and then digitally colorized - so that makes sense that they would have done it all including b roll to ensure consistency in color when they sliced and spliced the video together.

I wouldn't think they would want to edit it down first, rather spend all that time and money colorizing footage they aren't going to use?  :)

Just now, Jackie said:

Well, I assume digital would be the computer would have done it - but would take days back then lol

LOL... yeah.  I still think it's fan fiction, but I totally understand what you are saying.  Whatever they did, they created an incredible video nevertheless.  :luv:

4 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Surely if it was shot in black and white Mark Romanek would have mentioned that in the directors commentary

I would have to agree here.  I would think that would have been important thing to mention regarding the making fo this video.  From what I'm gathering is newer technology at the time was used on the video.

19 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Surely if it was shot in black and white Mark Romanek would have mentioned that in the directors commentary

Exactly. Mark nor Haris Savides never mentioned this video ever being shot in b&w.

The colorizing thing makes for a cool story, but there’s no evidence to ever support it being real.

Yes I know, it came from MTV back in the day, but still.

2 hours ago, deathproof said:

Exactly. Mark nor Haris Savides never mentioned this video ever being shot in b&w.

The colorizing thing makes for a cool story, but there’s no evidence to ever support it being real.

Yes I know, it came from MTV back in the day, but still.

Oh please elaborate. I didn’t know this story originated from MTV

total rubbish - i think all M did here was maybe wear blue contact lenses as her eyes dont look very green to me - i agree also that Mark never mentioned it in the directors commentary either - no way Warners would have spent all that extra money either to digitally colour a music video either ? either way its probably her most beautiful music videos and once again ignored by all the awards shows ....

It was definitely something that was done at the time. Janet Jackson's 1994 "You Want This" video was, according to Wikipedia:

A black-and-white version of the video was first released to music channels, while a colorized version was released one month later. CST Entertainment Imaging Inc. was responsible for the transformation, with 30 to 40 members of the company's Color F/X division split into three shifts and worked for nearly three weeks to create this version.

Of course that doesn't mean it happened with "Rain" too, but both videos share the oversaturated vibrant colors.

It doesn't make sense that they did it with the whole B-Roll though, just the final product. But who knows.