The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

1 hour ago, drivebitch said:

I can’t believe that there’s no tour book. No new promotional photos. She didn’t film any new backdrops. Is this the first tour that she didn’t have a live band or backup singers?

Yes it’s totally weird… no band no proper backdrops… no tourbook… her dancers except 2 or 3 are not so pro as the previous tours… even the intro which suppose to be a MASSIVE opening to her 40 years celebration is nothing compared to her previous tours. As I said previously it feels like unfinished work!

14 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Yes it’s totally weird… no band no proper backdrops… no tourbook… her dancers except 2 or 3 are not so pro as the previous tours… even the intro which suppose to be a MASSIVE opening to her 40 years celebration is nothing compared to her previous tours. As I said previously it feels like unfinished work!

The opening is everything and is incredible.

I haven’t been this obsessed watching an M performance in quite some time.

The amount of time and $$ put into the lighting alone is show stopping.

The fact that she can command that stage on her own without anyone else up there speaks volumes.

Very few artists are capable of that.

Just now, BuggedOut said:

The opening is everything and is incredible.

The amount of time and $$ put into the lighting alone is show stopping.

I’m still lost with the opening… it’s far from being incredible… yes NRM is pure perfection and she looks like god but the entrance is weak… not to mention the annoying BOB… he's the biggest mistake in this tour… 

Just now, Ayham said:

I’m still lost with the opening… it’s far from being incredible… yes NRM is pure perfection and she looks like god but the entrance is weak… not to mention the annoying BOB… he's the biggest mistake in this tour… 

I’m sorry you feel that way, but I felt that way about the horrible Iconic opening on Rebel Heart when most loved it, so I know how you feel.

2 hours ago, drivebitch said:

I can’t believe that there’s no tour book. No new promotional photos. She didn’t film any new backdrops. Is this the first tour that she didn’t have a live band or backup singers?

She's giving us literally everything else with this show, so while I don't like the fact that there's no tour book, I can accept it.

And yes, it's her first tour without a live band and backup singers.

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

She's giving us literally everything else with this show, so while I don't like the fact that there's no tour book, I can accept it.

And yes, it's her first tour without a live band and backup singers.

I find it crazy how some fans are finding reason to complain. You just can’t please some people.

6 hours ago, McDonna said:

Maybe, but I think Frozen was replaced with Rain intentionally. It would be a bit of a bummer if she did replace Rain with Frozen, being Rain has only been performed on one tour while Frozen was on a handful of tours.

Sure, this show isn't random. Probably, if a few weeks before the start of the tour she thought of replacing Frozen with Rain, there must be some reasons. I think Madonna wanted a song with a more positive message. It would be nice if we talked more about the meaning of the concert's narrative.

I see this show as a musical about her life. It's a celebration of life and love. Even Don't Cry For Me Argentina, which may seem randomly placed (personally, I don't like this version), is a continuation of the previous two songs. In Mother and Father, she finds from her mother and her roots the strength to move forward and survive (I Will Survive). She thinks about escaping her life. In fact, La Isla Bonita is actually based on a fantasy. San Pedro is not a real island. That's just a fantasy. 
Don't Cry for Me Argentina talks to us and shows the aftermath of the preceding song, "The truth is I never left you, all through my wild days, my mad existence, I kept my promise, don't keep your distance."

Rain follows ROL, which follows BS. BS is an ode to surrendering to the unconscious, a peaceful relaxation in the depths of ourselves that we rarely explore. After this surrender, there is the psychedelic journey of ROL, which is about rebirth from a former self. And Rain is a catharsis of love.

I must say that I don't particularly like this version of Rain. The arrangement is flat, and it lacks the bridge that gives a harmonic sense to the whole song. I would have preferred Frozen, as it's one of my favorite songs. But would Frozen have fit into Madonna's narrative? Probably yes, but it would have been a more cryptic interpretation and a little less positive.
Madonna said few times that she comes up with somewhat cryptic lyrics, but she doesn't like to be too cryptic, and she tries to be as clear as possible for everyone. I think she did the same here.

Many see Frozen as a simple love song in a difficult relationship where the loved one has emotional struggles. But it's not exactly that; I've never seen it that way. It's a more mystical song, more about all of us.

The sense would have been more like an invitation to transcend the duality of things and to trust our minds too much, to surrender to love and to open our minds and hearts to enlightenment. But it's Madonna's persuasive work; it's more like "if I could melt your heart," almost a magical ritual where she would give us "the key that we already hold." But Rain delivers a more direct and clear message. That's why I think she chose it. A catharsis of love

Tonight, I'm going to see it for the second time. On the opening night, I already knew the entire setlist (including Oh Father, Sorry, and Frozen), and I was also disappointed by the narrative. Upon reflection and rewatching the videos, I have learned to understand and appreciate the show's narrative. Tonight, I'm feeling more prepared, and I'll try to form a more complete opinion of the show. I might even consider a third visit; I'm thinking about it.

Edited by FraP (see edit history)

Taking away the band and backup singers really puts Madonna in the spotlight. Bob's presence provides support and allows her to catch her breath.

I watched it again a couple of days ago and was blown away by the dancers—so young and crazy talented. The idea that these dancers aren't as good as the previous ones is just plain absurd The choreography is so well thought out; it gives Madonna room to shine without overshadowing her. You can see this, especially in the first part, where the moving platforms and dancers create an amazing vibe without pushing Madonna too hard physically.

Also is a show that makes a difference when you experience in person. The lighting, the banners and the platforms keeps you busy looking around.

I see there's a discussion going on here about the opening and the stage entrance, so i feel like sharing my view on the matter cause i have a very precise one actually ;

When you are Madonna, with her unique charisma and stage presence, the most brilliant and efficient stage entrance you can make is the simpliest one. The DWT stage entrance has been my favorite one for year. Just a little smoke, and Madonna, just HER, walking slowly and appearing through the smoke, her voice. Nothing more, nothing more needed. Now my fav tour opener is the Celebration tour one. First the intro by BOB is absolutely genius, it's catchy, tongue in cheek, funny, modern and timeless. Then SHE appears, in that stunning circle of light, singing a timeless classic deep cut of her discography. This is brilliant. I hate those tacky entrance a la Rebel Heart tour or MDNA tour, ewwww, leave that to girls who have zero charisma to fill the lack of stage presence. Any tacky oversize accessories for her stage entrance is an insult to her stage presence. 

I bet the "2004 lyrics" to Into the Hollywood Groove chorus are the original ones she wrote back in 1983 for ITG demo when she was thinking of giving it to that Mark Kamins chick (fortunately she changed her idea, and rest is history...)

Maybe @Ayhamshould watch the YouTube videos to More Than Just a Residency to get how a coese and coherent concert could actually be...

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)