The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

Niki and Donna are attending tonight’s show, but do we really think they could both be Vogue ballroom judges? Would that even work? Do they have a third barstool? 😂 

I saw their show last September in LA, which had been scheduled to correspond with M’s original itinerary. I think they are both extremely talented, and their collaboration onstage is uplifting and inspired! However, when I hear Niki in interviews she is often interrupting or speaking over Donna, which Donna always graciously accommodates thanks to her zen nature! Also, while her tendency to implicitly drag Madonna seems to have dissipated recently in favor of a more constructive and grateful attitude, it’s frustrating nonetheless to hear her constantly bringing up that she came from jazz and had no idea who Madonna was when she auditioned for WTG. In a recent interview she even contradicted herself by claiming that she knew Everybody because everyone “in the hood” knew the track and thought it was a black chick. This sounds revisionist to me, and she’s always acted as if pop was beneath her even though neither she nor Donna would be doing their performances together today if it weren’t for a strong reliance on Madonna-adjacent references…Carlton and Kevin attended in LA…there’s always a BA or GS dancer there, and they sing at least three or four Madonna songs during their set. I loved every minute of their performance, and I get that they see themselves as talents within their own rights independent of Madonna, but it’s a complicated balance that everyone who has worked with Madonna has to contend with…By association with such a giant of the music industry they are forever in her shadow and indebted. I think pushing back against that eventually wears thin, but if Niki was as boisterous and overpowering in her interactions with Madonna as she can appear today I can see why things might have turned sour between them in 2001. 

I really do hope they receive acknowledgment in some capacity at tonight’s show if they are indeed in attendance. It would be a heartwarming moment for us all as Madonna lovers! 

10 minutes ago, Alibaba said:

Nikki and Donna are attending tonight’s show, but do we really think they could both be Vogue ballroom judges? Would that even work? Do they have a third barstool? 😂 

I saw their show last September in LA, which had been scheduled to correspond with M’s original itinerary. I think they are both extremely talented, and their collaboration onstage is uplifting and inspired! However, when I hear Nikki in interviews she is often interrupting or speaking over Donna, which Donna always graciously accommodates thanks to her zen nature! Also, while her tendency to implicitly drag Madonna seems to have dissipated recently in favor of a more constructive and grateful attitude, it’s frustrating nonetheless to hear her constantly bringing up that she came from jazz and had no idea who Madonna was when she auditioned for WTG. In a recent interview she even contradicted herself by claiming that she knew Everybody because everyone “in the hood” knew the track and thought it was a black chick. This sounds revisionist to me, and she’s always acted as if pop was beneath her even though neither she nor Donna would be doing their performances together today if it weren’t for a strong reliance on Madonna-adjacent references…Carlton and Kevin attended in LA…there’s always a BA or GS dancer there, and they sing at least three or four Madonna songs during their set. I loved every minute of their performance, and I get that they see themselves as talents within their own rights independent of Madonna, but it’s a complicated balance that everyone who has worked with Madonna has to contend with…By association with such a giant of the music industry they are forever in her shadow and indebted. I think pushing back against that eventually wears thin, but if Nikki was as boisterous and overpowering in her interactions with Madonna as she can appear today I can see why things might have turned sour between them in 2001. 

I really do hope they a receive acknowledgment in some capacity at tonight’s show if they are indeed in attendance. It would be a heartwarming moment for us all as Madonna lovers! 

I think it would be amazing for them to be standing each side of her to get that moment...for everyone. It would certainly open the discussions of the Glastonbury event where i could imagine a proper reunion could happen in the biggest way possible 

That clip was great, thanks to the poster!

Ive watched many clips of them live and in interviews. (havent we all) They are great, love them. Have to say Nikkis stories DO change and indeed she does talk over the top of everyone. The clip above you can see she tries to out do Donna STILL, maybe even Donna had a word about her departure with M too who knows. One min Nikki says she left because she couldnt keep up with the dancing every night anyway the next min its because its not her music it does change stories. 

I adore her voice and the trio are legendary, yet id like to add a bit that Nikki please dont read this but you seem to think youre the star...Nikki babe Donna is underrated, she's as good if not better so dont act like your Diana Ross and the rest are just The Supremes. Out of the 3 you know who's got the X factor then Donna dont be foolin yourself. Youre amazing yes!!! But teamwork, get used to that. 

God help us if they all get together, well have a gay heart attack. Pearls all over the floor. 

Does Madonna team know that they're going to her show?

Donna always says good things about Madonna, Niki speaks well of her but is sometimes a bit critical. Let's say it's true that sometimes it seems Niki wants to distance herself from the mainstream pop world. In fact, I also knew that Nikki felt betrayed by Madonna over an incident I can't quite recall, which then led to some issues. We don't really know the details of their personal relationship.

I can see Nikki & Donna doing "Vogue" judging and I would 100% enjoy seeing them early tomorrow on Youtube but the train left the station years ago on the three of them performing an entire song together again live. Aside from any old reported beefs between Nikki and Madonna, professionally it's just easier for Madonna to hire backup singers and dancers who are plug-n-play i.e. younger, injury free, travel light (no spouse, no kids and no "team" in tow) and someone who's not going to have a lot of "asks" as industry veterans might feel entitled to.  

10 minutes ago, FraP said:

Does Madonna team know that they're going to her show?

Donna always says good things about Madonna, Niki speaks well of her but is sometimes a bit critical. Let's say it's true that sometimes it seems Niki wants to distance herself from the mainstream pop world. In fact, I also knew that Nikki felt betrayed by Madonna over an incident I can't quite recall, which then led to some issues. We don't really know the details of their personal relationship.

I think we only got the gossip which was probably made up, Niki was stuffing herself with room service on DWT and gaining weight, could barely fit in their designer costumes ect.    It does sound like a made up story and the tour after she might not have been fit enough. (I doubt you could say those things nowadays). It would be hard to advise Nikki anything, she had a big fall out over the Girlie show shaving their heads thing. Of course and rightly so but could you imagine weight?? 

It would be easier just not to ask her.   Who knows that was just on forums back then. 

7 hours ago, remixed224 said:

I agree. They only using Madonna name, stories and songs to earn money. 

I love Madonna but let's be honest, its not like she isn't known for using people then casting them off aside when they no longer suit her needs. Personally I don't mind that Niki and Donna sing her songs. I don't listen to them to be honest, but this is a "Good For Her!" situation to me.

Also, I firmly believe their voices added to Madonna's songs from a vocal perspective. They really meshed well together, and Madonna knew that (which is why she kept them for a LONG time after WTG Tour). I was listening to "Queen's English" (bad example, I know) and hearing Madonna harmonize with herself in the backing vocals didn't hit like it does when Niki and Donna are accompanying her. I know Donna's split with Madonna was supposedly amicable (she left because she wanted to raise her kid), and I know the Niki situation was perhaps a bit sour, so I can't really say I don't blame Madonna for not inviting them? Then again she does soften up to people again, so who knows.

I'm overjoyed she is back with Stuart Price, as his live sound mixing is very cinematic- The Confessions Tour and I'm Going to Tell You a Secret sound amazing and encompassing compared to the flat Sticky & Sweet and even worse MDNA Tour (and album) and every tour after. Madame X Live was a step up, but yeah Stuart needs to be the one responsible for the CD/Digital Album and Blu-ray/Tour Video sound mixes. I hope he does the mixing for The Celebration Tour (I mean he surely will, considering he's so involved with it). He's also a great producer, so I hope they work together on an album as well. But I am surprised she welcomed him back, there was a rumor that she was mad/annoyed her assistant and him got married and kind of distanced themselves from Madonna after.

Just now, Michael_Py said:

To have Nikki and Donna during the Vogue Ballroom will be fun but you know what will be better and iconic? To have them appear during the chorus on Nothing  Really Matters…that will be awesome

Omg yessss! It would be sooo iconic

Or them joining her when she's singin Rain

2 minutes ago, Michael_Py said:

To have Nikki and Donna during the Vogue Ballroom will be fun but you know what will be better and iconic? To have them appear during the chorus on Nothing  Really Matters…that will be awesome

That would be awesome, but if it's anything , I'm sure one or both will be guest judge.  But it's possible they won't be on stage and they are just considered "personal guest" as in 'behind the scenes'. 

2 hours ago, DanceWithMe said:

I love Madonna but let's be honest, its not like she isn't known for using people then casting them off aside when they no longer suit her needs. Personally I don't mind that Niki and Donna sing her songs. I don't listen to them to be honest, but this is a "Good For Her!" situation to me.

Also, I firmly believe their voices added to Madonna's songs from a vocal perspective. They really meshed well together, and Madonna knew that (which is why she kept them for a LONG time after WTG Tour). I was listening to "Queen's English" (bad example, I know) and hearing Madonna harmonize with herself in the backing vocals didn't hit like it does when Niki and Donna are accompanying her. I know Donna's split with Madonna was supposedly amicable (she left because she wanted to raise her kid), and I know the Niki situation was perhaps a bit sour, so I can't really say I don't blame Madonna for not inviting them? Then again she does soften up to people again, so who knows.

I'm overjoyed she is back with Stuart Price, as his live sound mixing is very cinematic- The Confessions Tour and I'm Going to Tell You a Secret sound amazing and encompassing compared to the flat Sticky & Sweet and even worse MDNA Tour (and album) and every tour after. Madame X Live was a step up, but yeah Stuart needs to be the one responsible for the CD/Digital Album and Blu-ray/Tour Video sound mixes. I hope he does the mixing for The Celebration Tour (I mean he surely will, considering he's so involved with it). He's also a great producer, so I hope they work together on an album as well. But I am surprised she welcomed him back, there was a rumor that she was mad/annoyed her assistant and him got married and kind of distanced themselves from Madonna after.

One thing the S&S mix was not is flat. It's her best quality live mix ever in terms of dynamic range. Yes it is a worse sounding concept than anything Price ever produced, but it is by far her strongest, punchiest sound mix ever released, even if it is made pretty much entirely of artificial studio sound. 

Confessions is more pleasing and cohesive sounding production on DVD, but the actual quality of the sound on Sticky and Sweet and how it is mastered is a significantly better production.

The thing I can't even imagine (and that I actually don't imagine to happen tonight tbt) is the ROAR, tha actual thunder that could explode in the arena if, at the M singing "What you need is a big strong hand to ...", Nicky and Donna should emerge at her back. 

I mean, we would be hearing it here from the MSG to Rome. And the emotion would be huge after 23 years, this story has become a kind of epic in the M's world. 

Said that, I don't thing they're really gonna sing together tonight, but if they're gonna be judges it could be a first step to what the majority of us is asking to experience again.