The Celebration Tour (Spoilers)

Donna

I'm gonna miss her speeches so much:

Some fans say they're all very somber when she goes there but we shouldn't underestimate the importance DEATH has had in her life... literally her show is full of dead people... and yet she's still here. She's the result of losing her mother, of losing her friends in the 80s, of losing each one of her peers through the years...

Also, I read this interpretation yesterday on PopJustice about the "Bedtime Story/Ray Of Light/Rain" part, and while I'm not sure if I agree completely, made me think:

After watching the full show like a thousand times, something has clicked with me regarding the second half of the show. It always felt strange how well-represented her 80s, 90s and 00s life is and how there is a lack of focus on the 2010s and 20s, musically too, but mostly narrative-wise. But something in her recent, more sombre speeches made me realise that it's not about these decades, it is simply not about post-2000, it is about post-1996.

She doesn't define herself by any other means than being a mother. I still remember how the fact sheet came out before the tour and we learned about the "time capsule" that would represent the past, the present and the future too, which should be the Bedtime Story / Ray of Light / Rain act. But she doesn't have a future. Her only future is death - a loss of words and consciousness for good, becoming nothing more than a transcendental idea floating in space, and finally feeling her own mother's love coming down like rain. (Add the Virgin / Billie Jean mashup about the public's perception of the two being the king and queen of pop and being finally at the same place - not in heaven, but in people's consciousness as the two greatest in pop music being gone.)

If anything, the 00s act doesn't represent a past point in her life. Motherhood is her present and if she can fulfil that role for as long as she can, she doesn't have to accomplish anything else in her life. And to think this is her show, her narrative, and she's just survived a huge health scare, she must be hurt being reminded of this every night for the last few months. Be right back, I'm crying.

What do you think?

@Prayer

Let me quote the words from the backdrop at the end of Like a Prayer performance for S&ST:

Jesus said: we all came from the Light, and to the Light we shall return.

And the first verse of Like a Prayer itself:

Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone, I hear you call my name, and it feels like home.

To talk through a metaphysical point of view (in which M believes), our home is not here, in the Earth, in the flesh - we all will die, we all must die and we all NEED to die - so the flow of Nature and Universe keeps being in. So, what happens after death? But, a most important question is what happens during life? LIFE IS A COMPLETE MYSTERY, AND SO IS DEATH. To the material, flesh people, death is the end of all, and life is just the period one gets until their inevitable end at all. But to people who feel the intuition of an afterlife, death is just a transition, and life in flesh is just the preparation to such transition. As M told in Heartbeat, Isaac, ALL YOUR LIFE IS ONLY A TEST. The real deal is the TRANSITION, THE DEATH. What to expect? What to face? One can only assume, through their intuition, their "third eye," that we will at least face ourselves and our acts we had while in flesh. We can be deprived of speaking as "words are useless, especially sentences, they don't stand for anything," but, "how can I explain how I feel?" Notice that M herself doesn't sing this line in particular live during the performance - because imo this is the ultimate incognito, HOW CAN ONE EXPLAIN HOW THEY FEEL?

So, I'M TRAVELLING... LEAVING LOGIC AND REASON, I'M GONNA RELAX, IN THE ARMS OF UNCONSCIOUSNESS... Travelling back to the Light we all came from - AND IT FEELS JUST LIKE HOME.

And after such travel, we find THE RAIN - the REST, the ANAPAUSIS. The moment when we can feel OUR HEART SING.

No wonder, when @Dazedmadonnadrove me to this tour with their setlist hints, I felt mesmerized by the perspective of the Celebration Tour being an actual Gnostic lesson in life - to what I felt certain the moment I realized Nothing Really Matters was the opener - the ultimate lesson in Madonna's teachings about what is really necessary, what really matters to us - LOVE.

Remember, she stated for Israeli newspaper Yedioth Akronoth she studied Gnosticism prior to Kabbalah - and the actual historic Kabbalah, apart from the Berg family cult, is nothing more than a Gnostic interpretation of the Tanach - the Old Edition, in contrast to the traditional, material interpretation given by Talmud.

No wonder I cherish this tour to a religious passion - it aligns completely to my point of view. We Gnostics are indeed obsessed to death - as we see death, as a concept, as the ignorance, the misknowledge about our inner and outer selfs. To not know is the real death - is what makes us lost, in flesh or not anymore, in where we are.

And to finish my essay: when she was pissed off having to tour the Red States, she wasn't feeling the Rain anymore - she was asking people instead to "take a bow, night's over, masquerade's getting older," as pretty expectable from her. And a last remark: the fact she has chosen Bitch I'm Madonna instead of The Power of Good-Bye to close show - after death, we are two realities: the legacy we give to the ones who survive us and what we face while travelling in the arms of unconsciousness - but, for both, bitch, SHE'S MADONNA, SHE'LL FOREVER BE MADONNA, as WE ALL ARE MADONNA - and WE ALL WILL BE MADONNA. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? After all, COME JOIN THE PARTY, IT'S A CELEBRATION, AND MUSIC MAKES PEOPLE COME TOGETHER!

Hope I've been crystal clear.

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

I'm gonna miss her speeches so much:

Some fans say they're all very somber when she goes there but we shouldn't underestimate the importance DEATH has had in her life... literally her show is full of dead people... and yet she's still here. She's the result of losing her mother, of losing her friends in the 80s, of losing each one of her peers through the years...

Also, I read this interpretation yesterday on PopJustice about the "Bedtime Story/Ray Of Light/Rain" part, and while I'm not sure if I agree completely, made me think:

After watching the full show like a thousand times, something has clicked with me regarding the second half of the show. It always felt strange how well-represented her 80s, 90s and 00s life is and how there is a lack of focus on the 2010s and 20s, musically too, but mostly narrative-wise. But something in her recent, more sombre speeches made me realise that it's not about these decades, it is simply not about post-2000, it is about post-1996.

She doesn't define herself by any other means than being a mother. I still remember how the fact sheet came out before the tour and we learned about the "time capsule" that would represent the past, the present and the future too, which should be the Bedtime Story / Ray of Light / Rain act. But she doesn't have a future. Her only future is death - a loss of words and consciousness for good, becoming nothing more than a transcendental idea floating in space, and finally feeling her own mother's love coming down like rain. (Add the Virgin / Billie Jean mashup about the public's perception of the two being the king and queen of pop and being finally at the same place - not in heaven, but in people's consciousness as the two greatest in pop music being gone.)

If anything, the 00s act doesn't represent a past point in her life. Motherhood is her present and if she can fulfil that role for as long as she can, she doesn't have to accomplish anything else in her life. And to think this is her show, her narrative, and she's just survived a huge health scare, she must be hurt being reminded of this every night for the last few months. Be right back, I'm crying.

What do you think?

I think we talked about the similar interpretation before in this thread. That's why I think Rain perfectly fits this section. 

7 hours ago, Anapausis said:

@Prayer

Let me quote the words from the backdrop at the end of Like a Prayer performance for S&ST:

Jesus said: we all came from the Light, and to the Light we shall return.

And the first verse of Like a Prayer itself:

Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone, I hear you call my name, and it feels like home.

To talk through a metaphysical point of view (in which M believes), our home is not here, in the Earth, in the flesh - we all will die, we all must die and we all NEED to die - so the flow of Nature and Universe keeps being in. So, what happens after death? But, a most important question is what happens during life? LIFE IS A COMPLETE MYSTERY, AND SO IS DEATH. To the material, flesh people, death is the end of all, and life is just the period one gets until their inevitable end at all. But to people who feel the intuition of an afterlife, death is just a transition, and life in flesh is just the preparation to such transition. As M told in Heartbeat, Isaac, ALL YOUR LIFE IS ONLY A TEST. The real deal is the TRANSITION, THE DEATH. What to expect? What to face? One can only assume, through their intuition, their "third eye," that we will at least face ourselves and our acts we had while in flesh. We can be deprived of speaking as "words are useless, especially sentences, they don't stand for anything," but, "how can I explain how I feel?" Notice that M herself doesn't sing this line in particular live during the performance - because imo this is the ultimate incognito, HOW CAN ONE EXPLAIN HOW THEY FEEL?

So, I'M TRAVELLING... LEAVING LOGIC AND REASON, I'M GONNA RELAX, IN THE ARMS OF UNCONSCIOUSNESS... Travelling back to the Light we all came from - AND IT FEELS JUST LIKE HOME.

And after such travel, we find THE RAIN - the REST, the ANAPAUSIS. The moment when we can feel OUR HEART SING.

No wonder, when @Dazedmadonnadrove me to this tour with their setlist hints, I felt mesmerized by the perspective of the Celebration Tour being an actual Gnostic lesson in life - to what I felt certain the moment I realized Nothing Really Matters was the opener - the ultimate lesson in Madonna's teachings about what is really necessary, what really matters to us - LOVE.

Remember, she stated for Israeli newspaper Yedioth Akronoth she studied Gnosticism prior to Kabbalah - and the actual historic Kabbalah, apart from the Berg family cult, is nothing more than a Gnostic interpretation of the Tanach - the Old Edition, in contrast to the traditional, material interpretation given by Talmud.

No wonder I cherish this tour to a religious passion - it aligns completely to my point of view. We Gnostics are indeed obsessed to death - as we see death, as a concept, as the ignorance, the misknowledge about our inner and outer selfs. To not know is the real death - is what makes us lost, in flesh or not anymore, in where we are.

And to finish my essay: when she was pissed off having to tour the Red States, she wasn't feeling the Rain anymore - she was asking people instead to "take a bow, night's over, masquerade's getting older," as pretty expectable from her. And a last remark: the fact she has chosen Bitch I'm Madonna instead of The Power of Good-Bye to close show - after death, we are two realities: the legacy we give to the ones who survive us and what we face while travelling in the arms of unconsciousness - but, for both, bitch, SHE'S MADONNA, SHE'LL FOREVER BE MADONNA, as WE ALL ARE MADONNA - and WE ALL WILL BE MADONNA. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? After all, COME JOIN THE PARTY, IT'S A CELEBRATION, AND MUSIC MAKES PEOPLE COME TOGETHER!

Hope I've been crystal clear.

Great analysis. I’d add to it that at the end she becomes the “bride that is married to life,” a phrase she’s used many times in the past decade. I think she’s saying she’s going to embrace life and love it in all its ups and downs until the very end. She won’t be taken down and will go out celebrating.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic