Rupaul's feud with Madonna

More from Paul’s book...

In an excerpt from the book, which was published by The Sun, the drag queen said that he first heard of Madonna when she was working the coat check at the club Danceteria. 

Then, in 1984 he attended a seminar, during which the popstar spoke about her own rise to stardom. 

However, it wasn't until a few years later that the two first bumped into each other, when RuPaul was working as a dancer at Pyramid Club. 

He noted that when he walked into the room, she looked at him 'with an expression I’ll never forget.' 

He added that he saw a 'snarl of contempt at the sight of me, cold fury that I would deign to enter while she was in the room.' 

The drag queen noted that at the moment, he felt like he could read the popstar's mind, adding that she was thinking, 'How dare you take up oxygen in my world?' 

RuPaul said that Madonna viewed everyone as a transaction, noting that she wondered if they could 'add anything to that equation.' 

'In clocking me as a eunuch, I became worthless to her,' he said, referring to the term used to describe castrated men who cannot procreate. 

However,  the reality TV host didn't let the singer get to him because she reminded him of his mother, who was also a Leo and was 'cold to a fault.'

5 hours ago, animalinstinct said:

He’s definitely thrown shade toward her before.

When he was interviewed on the Graham Norton show, 

“she was a fan of no-one’s but Madonna’s…”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0br8j67

Which is funny because it’s so far from the truth. She just wasn’t a fan of him and he still had trouble accepting that.

If you’re a publisher and you want to sell books, you tell your celebrity authors to add salacious and ambiguous material about other celebrities. Madonna is always at the top of that wishlist. She has remained incredibly guarded and well-insulated from factual historical reporting considering how long she has been in the public realm. Everyone who was in NY in the 80s has a Madonna story, but they are all more about them than her if you really think about it. 

All that said, I find the quotes from his book about her energy not feeling right because she’s aging against the natural flow absolutely hysterical! No one with an ounce of self-awareness could actually take that quote seriously from a sexagenarian drag queen. On top of that, Madonna is really the ultimate drag queen. All the personae, images, costumes, characters and eras make her inimitable and untouchable as the most stylish and influential chameleon of the modern era. I think Ru is a really fascinating person, but in this case he can sashay away to the Love Shack baby! 

3 hours ago, xavier said:

More from Paul’s book...

In an excerpt from the book, which was published by The Sun, the drag queen said that he first heard of Madonna when she was working the coat check at the club Danceteria. 

Then, in 1984 he attended a seminar, during which the popstar spoke about her own rise to stardom. 

However, it wasn't until a few years later that the two first bumped into each other, when RuPaul was working as a dancer at Pyramid Club. 

He noted that when he walked into the room, she looked at him 'with an expression I’ll never forget.' 

He added that he saw a 'snarl of contempt at the sight of me, cold fury that I would deign to enter while she was in the room.' 

The drag queen noted that at the moment, he felt like he could read the popstar's mind, adding that she was thinking, 'How dare you take up oxygen in my world?' 

RuPaul said that Madonna viewed everyone as a transaction, noting that she wondered if they could 'add anything to that equation.' 

'In clocking me as a eunuch, I became worthless to her,' he said, referring to the term used to describe castrated men who cannot procreate. 

However,  the reality TV host didn't let the singer get to him because she reminded him of his mother, who was also a Leo and was 'cold to a fault.'

So a look she gave you made you feel all that? Wow, maybe do a little check in with your own self esteem lady Ru if you want to give that much power to what you fear other people think of you (and write about it 40 year later lol)

Isn't it also a bit sad for al these minor celebrities to have to release these biographies for a quick buck and all anyone is ever interested in is what little tidbits you have to share about celebrities bigger than you.

I have very little words for the hypocracy which is RuPaul, just that I once bought into the idea that he was sincere and not this conservative self serving capitalist

7 hours ago, adirondak said:

I don't care about Rupaul enough to read his book. I'm just saying all the press I've seen for it has been centered on his Madonna quotes. 

Then don't read his book. I'm just saying we know the press is known to make something more than what is.  They count on people like you to take their little morsels they throw out there, and create more of it, generating more gossip and interest.  The more talk; the more books are sold.  The fact is; what Rupaul says of Madonna in his book, is just a very small fraction of what is being said in his book.  And what better way to create buzz around someone's book, by insinuating some cat fight or drama is going on.  It's simply baiting, and as usual our society is quickly to be hooked by it.  LOL! 

1 hour ago, McDonna said:

Then don't read his book. I'm just saying we know the press is known to make something more than what is.  They count on people like you to take their little morsels they throw out there, and create more of it, generating more gossip and interest.  The more talk; the more books are sold.  The fact is; what Rupaul says of Madonna in his book, is just a very small fraction of what is being said in his book.  And what better way to create buzz around someone's book, by insinuating some cat fight or drama is going on.  It's simply baiting, and as usual our society is quickly to be hooked by it.  LOL! 

But it's not about the book quote - that's super vague and I agree, it can be used to create drama and sell copies. I didn't think of it much until I saw the recent interview (March 1 2024) in The New Yorker where Ru Paul says this:

"“In aging, there is a natural flow,” he opines. “And, when you’re against the flow, it doesn’t look right, it doesn’t feel right. The energy around the Madonna thing—it feels weird, right?,” Ru adds, referring to her “chasing arena tours and grills in your teeth.”

A comment which you seem to be conveniently ignoring in all of your responses. 

14 minutes ago, kesiak said:

But it's not about the book quote - that's super vague and I agree, it can be used to create drama and sell copies. I didn't think of it much until I saw the recent interview (March 1 2024) in The New Yorker where Ru Paul says this:

"“In aging, there is a natural flow,” he opines. “And, when you’re against the flow, it doesn’t look right, it doesn’t feel right. The energy around the Madonna thing—it feels weird, right?,” Ru adds, referring to her “chasing arena tours and grills in your teeth.”

A comment which you seem to be conveniently ignoring in all of your responses. 

I'm not ignoring it.  I just know how the media is able to twist people's words.  I don't believe what he said was intended the way people are taking it. 

To me, this is just another opportunity to hate on another celebrity because they dared to say something a lot of fans have been saying themselves. 

Well to be OT:

Madonna will never be a dead horse, deal with it, actual Madonna haters!!!

Once a Leo, always a Leo. Esp if their ascendent sign is Virgo. The street always gets hot, wet red when they walk on by...

If looks can kill, eh-oh, eh-oh...

I think we all agree on the bad energy that is perceived from this person's words towards Madonna, criticizing her diva attitude in the past, when that is most common in Hollywood, and now criticizing her for continuing in music despite her age.

I have read a couple of comments defending Rupaul, as if they were his defense lawyers, and trying to blame the press or us fans for being intolerant of anyone who criticizes Madonna. Nothing further from reality. Those people would do better to ask themselves why they are the only ones with a different opinion when the unanimous opinion, at least in this place, is that Rupaul is intentionally speaking badly about Madonna in order to sell more books. Even a child would realize this.