deleted

I guess that "Campos Mendez" is a play on words for Compos Mentis, which is having full control of your mind, which in turn makes sense here on this crazy AF song LOL :dead:

edit : ope!  VeronicaElectronica is right of course the lyrics go "I'm non compos mentis "

edit 2: btw isn't it "that makes me go gonzo" ? not ganso

The reason often compared to Carmen Miranda is due to the 'joke' of the song, which is based on Hollywood's 'Spicy Latina' concept—a stereotype that Carmen Miranda symbolized. This misinterpretation portrays 'exotic' women as sexy, promiscuous, hot-tempered, and speaking with exaggerated accents for comedic effect. Another example of this stereotype is the Mexican actor Lupe Vélez. This portrayal originated in vaudeville during the 1880s.

https://the-take.com/watch/the-spicy-latina-trope-explained

When it comes to what she says, it's filled with double entendres—another facet of this stereotype. The listener believes they hear one thing, but it actually means something else, often due to a mispronunciation.

Compos Mentis - Campoz Mendez
Meshuga - My sugar (The use of Yiddish words in Cabaret/Musicals at the time was pretty common too.)

I always thought she said Pajaro Loco -Like Woody Woodpecker tbh.

Also I wouldn't call it a mariachi, that has violin, trumpets and a guitar.

This is a Cuban rumba or timba like Cuban Pete:

The song it means to be from an era like the rest of the album ( but Vogue) so it's not a representation of real Latin folk but more the subtly racist interpretation of the 'ol gay 20s-30s

It just falls under the same "FUNNY! LATIN!" category she discovered doing the 1985 SNL sketch and seemed to love so much:

https://www.facebook.com/MadonnaMexico/videos/snl-1985/1319080654839179/?locale=es_LA

I don't like the studio version that much TBH but the live version on the "Girlie Show" is EVERYTHING:

Bonkers.

Talking about 'facts' of this album.

(The unpopular) Cry Baby was inspired by the sound of Baby Esther (Jones) that created the 'boop boop be doop.' and was a star of the scat sound.

https://dai.ly/x3v8obb

And was then replicated by Helen Kane and Mae Questel, the voice of Betty Boop.

I keep finding nonsense in this post (sounds appropriate with the theme)

"y, ay, ay" is a Hispanic expression signifying dismay at a bad situation or state of affairs" which is fake af and shows incredible ignorance, is not even a hispanic word, hispanic is SPAIN, and even if it were latin, is not, it's an exclusive mexican thing,"

Ay! it's in fact an expression of pain, and exclamation. It has onomatopoeic qualities and comes form indoeuropean roots that evolve into others languages *source

https://www.rae.es/dpd/ay

It exists in Spanish and it's one of the first things a little kid say when they hurt themselves.

Even when it comes to Mexican music it keeps that meaning of pain/joy like in the famous "Cielito Lindo' when they say: Ay ay ay ay, Sing and don't cry.

7 hours ago, drownedworld said:

CAMPOS, MENDEZ - very popular and common mexican surnames, just random surnames

Lol, no, she's saying "non compos mentis" which mean "of unsound mind" in latin, Not "not Campos Mandez" which makes no sense at all. 

Also, it's "gonzo" meaning outrageous and unconventional, not "gonso" and "piranhas" not "pirañas"

Madonna's delivery is no doubt influenced by Carmen Miranda among many other influences as evidenced in the mixing of terms from different languages. She just going for a goofy, 1940s movie Latin style.

You should really get your facts right before posting something claiming to have the facts right :smile:

Thank you for the explanation of the lyrics. 

Now, the sheet music was published when I'm Breathless was released, so if someone has it, maybe that person could be so kind and provide us with the proper lyrics, cause there seems to be a bit of confusion regarding what she's really singing. :)

16 minutes ago, Celebration said:

Now, the sheet music was published when I'm Breathless was released, so if someone has it, maybe that person could be so kind and provide us with the proper lyrics, cause there seems to be a bit of confusion regarding what she's really singing. :)

Can’t post them here now but OP lyrics are wrong, the lyric sheets says non compos mentes among other minor different spellings 

29 minutes ago, Celebration said:

I have the sheet music and here are the lyrics (note that "non compos mentis" is misspelled in the actual sheet music)

I'm going bananas
And I feel like my poor little
Mind is being devoured by piranhas
For I'm going bananas

I'm non compos mentes
And I feel like a tooth being drilled
A nerve being killed by a dentist
For I'm non compos mentes

Who knows? Could be the tropic heat
Or something that I eat

That makes me gonzo
I do carry on so, for

I'm going bananas
Someone book me a room in the
hot hacienda with all my mañanas
For I'm going bananas

I'm going meshuga
All day long there's a man in
My brain incessently playing "Booga wooga"
But I'm going meshuga

There's bats in my belfry
Won't you make sure this
Straight jacket's tight
Otherwise I might get myself free
Yes, there's bats in my belfry

Who knows? Could be the wine I drink
Or it's the way I think that makes me gonzo
Oh, Doctor Alonzo says

I'm going bananas
Someone get me a bed in the "Casa
De Loco" for all my mañanas
For I'm going bananas

Yes, I'm going bananas
Si, I'm going bananas

IMG_0083.thumb.jpg.9ec81c8c8f3ac4f179bdfe273014dcb7.jpg

17 minutes ago, Celebration said:

The song was written by Michael Kernan  & Andy Paley. So I doubt they had any natural latin soul to bring into it .The directions given by warren Beatty of not making music that sounds older than 1937-9.

There are music sheets online but you need to regsiter to see them, I found a bunch of them bundle here thou.

http://ekladata.com/2MQr-UZoQuKaVSnorYcnEsqXRIs.pdf

19 minutes ago, Pretender1978 said:

Can’t post them here now but OP lyrics are wrong, the lyric sheets says non compos mentes among other minor different spellings 

Well, Madonna and Spanish seems to be an... unfortunate thing.

I've been told by guys who's first language is Spanish, that her grammer is off in several songs, and her pronounciation is horrible. 
I don't know. My first lanuage is Swedish, and I can not speak more than maybe ten words in Spanish, WITH awful pronounciation. :)

But I don't care. I love La Isla Bonita, I'm Going Bananas and Ciao Bella, and wouldn't want to have them undone. :)

Edited by Celebration
I had to clarify a couple of things :) (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Celebration said:

Well, Madonna and Spanish seems to be an... unfortunate thing.

I've been told by guys who's first language is Spanish, that her grammer is off in several songs, and her pronounciation is horrible. 
I don't know. My first lanuage is Swedish, and I can not speak more than maybe ten words in Spanish, WITH awful pronounciation. :)

But I don't care. I love La Isla Bonita, I'm Going Bananas and Ciao Bella, and wouldn't want to have them undone. :)

She's very hit or miss in Spanish, but she's always made the effort. Many other international artists have tried along the years, some of them with TRAGIG results (Robbie Williams in Spanish comes to mind).

She was very good in "Verás" ("You'll See" Spanish), she had Carlos' or someone's help with that definitely. "Lo Que Siente La Mujer", apart from a couple of words, was quite decent.

"Spanish Lesson", ironically, was not her best honestly.

8 minutes ago, Prayer said:

She's very hit or miss in Spanish, but she's always made the effort. Many other international artists have tried along the years, some of them with TRAGIG results (Robbie Williams in Spanish comes to mind).

She was quite good in "Verás" ("You'll See" Spanish), she had Carlos' or someone's help with that definitely. "Lo Que Siente La Mujer", apart from a couple of words, was quite decent.

"Spanish Lesson", ironically, was not her best honestly.

Veras is amazing 🤩 

Lo que siente la mujer is a loco gringa at Cancun's spring break-o