#JusticeForBedtimeStories: #1 on iTunes USA!

lucasciccone

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/business/chart-beat/9370383/madonna-mariah-carey-janet-jackson-albums-sales-gains-itunes-store?__twitter_impression=true

It might be the year 2020, but if you glanced at the U.S. iTunes Store’s Top Albums tally this past week, it’d be hard to tell what decade you were in.

Thanks to sale pricing and fan promotion, a trio of older albums by Mariah Carey, Madonna and Janet Jackson all jumped into the iTunes Store's always-updating Top Albums tally. On April 27 and 28, Carey’s 2008 album E=MC2was No. 1 on the iTunes Store’s Top Albums tally, while Madonna’s 1994 set Bedtime Stories visited No. 1 on April 30. Meanwhile, Jackson’s 1986 album Control also visited the top 10 during the week -- and at one point, all three albums were together in the top 10.

According to initial sales reports to Nielsen Music/MRC Data, E=MC2 sold about 2,000 copies total across all retailers in the U.S. in the week ending April 30. About half of that sum was driven by digital sales on April 27, the day the album topped the iTunes tally. Traditionally, the album sells a negligible figure on a daily basis.

As for Bedtime Stories, it shifted a little over 1,000 copies for the week, while Control sold just under 1,000. Again, the bulk of each album’s sales were driven by digital sales -- nearly 1,000 for Bedtime Stories on April 30 (the day it was No. 1 in the iTunes Store) and a little under, 1,000 for Control across three days (April 28-30). Like with E=MC2, both Bedtime Stories and Control generally sell a negligible figure on any normal day.

It doesn’t necessarily take a large number of sales to reach No. 1 on the iTunes Store’s Top Albums ranking, especially considering album sales have been on the decline for years, and it was a particularly soft week for new releases on April 24. The trio of albums were part of an iTunes Store promotion where more than 100 pop albums were discounted to $4.99 and advertised in a banner ad that appears at the top of the front page of the Store, directing consumers to “$4.99 Pop Albums at a Great Price.”

As generally happens with deeply discounted albums (most new titles sell for at least $9.99), they start to rise up the iTunes Store Top Albums list, since it reacts in real time to customers’ purchases. After that, fans of the divas took notice of the albums dotting the iTunes Store Top Albums list and began awareness campaigns on social media to drive attention to the albums. That promotion then helped engineer more sales for the albums, which brought them to the top 10 of the store. At that point, the albums got much wider attention, since the top 10 of the Top Albums list is visible on the front of the iTunes Store, and casual music fans likely saw the albums in the top 10 -- perhaps encouraging even more sales.

E=MC2 debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart dated May 3, 2008. Bedtime Stories debuted and peaked at No. 3 (Nov. 12, 1994), and Control hit No. 1 on July 5, 1986. None of the albums are expected to re-enter next week’s Billboard 200 chart, despite their surge on the iTunes Store.

9 hours ago, Gilbert said:

dont really agree. it went number 1 in various countries when it wasnt as cheap in the USA. Still her albums were on sale many times before and it never went number 1.  i can see a sale maybe making a jumo into the top 200 but not to number 1 without some work from a viral campaign. fans went to work here.  be proud that sometimes fans can make a difference.

The fan campaign started because it was on sale...

This was such a cool thing to witness and a great opportunity to rediscover 'BEDTIME STORIES' once again. Dear god no matter how much I listen to it at full volume, NOTHING sounds cooler than 'SECRET' after so many years. I wish she'd do more songs in her lower register again (like 'BROKEN', 'JUMP', etc.)

19 hours ago, Shoful said:

Of course I am! I’m one of her biggest fans on GGD. This is the best Madonna forum there is!!good morning hello GIF

Cool. Ur like the 3rd GGD member I've met here

I been here lately more than usual cuz I'm talking a break from SJW daily

I had to ask for a temporary ban to not be tempted to log in cuz I lost it with that last thread. U can't say anything even remotely Centre-Left without being dragged to no end. If it's even remotely not far left everyone comes at u

So annoying and I needed a break :angry:

This is my fav Madonna Forum too btw. I was on MadonnaNation before but it was literally the most toxic place on earth, worse than any other forum I been on. Then someone suggested Madonna Infinity and I liked this site a lot better and I been here ever since although sometimes I may not log in for weeks at a time depends :tongue:

9 hours ago, Economy said:

I had to ask for a temporary ban to not be tempted to log in cuz I lost it with that last thread. U can't say anything even remotely Centre-Left without being dragged to no end. If it's even remotely not far left everyone comes at u

This is my fav Madonna Forum too btw. I was on MadonnaNation before but it was literally the most toxic place on earth, worse than any other forum I been on. Then someone suggested Madonna Infinity and I liked this site a lot better and I been here ever since although sometimes I may not log in for weeks at a time depends :tongue:

What is GGD ? Gagadaily ? An dyes Mnation is absolutely the most toxic Madonnna forum ever.

6 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

What is GGD ? Gagadaily ? An dyes Mnation is absolutely the most toxic Madonnna forum ever.

I was on MadonnaNation before and I didn't like it. Madonna Infinity is way better and Everyone is way more kind and respectful.

And yeah we say GGD for short but it stands for GagaDaily

In my opinion most of them aren't too bad when it comes to the stan culture compared to a lot of other pop forums out there. Some members can be toxic but the majority don't make a big deal about someone being a fan of others as well or liking others besides Gaga and the entertainment section of the forum in fact is quite busy with news threads on other artists

For me it's the political aspect I found annoying. GGD is very active on the world news section and it's big on political discussions which I liked to participate in

But GGD is 80% or more members that take left wing politics or "progressiveness" to an absolute extreme. You are not allowed to have any views on anything even remotely Moderate, even an economic policy or something without getting dragged to the ground

And more than half the members are also Political Correctness Social Justice Warriors on stereoids. They literally look for every possible opportunity to interpret a sentence, action or wording as racist, homophobic, sexist etc even in situations where it's clearly a reach at best and try to always show off as morally superior or whatever

I admire passionate people about a more just society but when u go to those extremes, to me that's not being a progressive anymore, that's just being insane.

I consider myself a progressive myself on most things (although on economy it depends on what were talking about), and I generally never have an issue with left wingers in any other site I've been on. But on GGD they are just this unhealthy extreme and then they are completely closed minded to any arguments or discussion cuz they think they are right on everything. Imagine an extreme SJW uve seen on the internet at some point now imagine an entire site/forum saturated with them. 

Edited by Economy (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Economy said:

Madonnanation is a shame pit. I was banned on there just last week. I only ever contributed intellectual content, but you simply cannot expect a bunch of overgrown gay men with permanent arrested development to step beyond ego and challenge themselves to an expansive view of life. One must not criticize Madonna when it isn't in alignment with the peanut gallery. It always seems so ironic to me that freedom of speech can be so limited on a Madonna forum, but it is always the same tyrannical people who act out. Suedehead is probably 60, and is an incorrigible bully. In fact many of the most vociferous Madonna "fans" are in a perpetual state of egoic reactivity. 

1 hour ago, Alibaba said:

Madonnanation is a shame pit. I was banned on there just last week. I only ever contributed intellectual content, but you simply cannot expect a bunch of overgrown gay men with permanent arrested development to step beyond ego and challenge themselves to an expansive view of life. One must not criticize Madonna when it isn't in alignment with the peanut gallery. It always seems so ironic to me that freedom of speech can be so limited on a Madonna forum, but it is always the same tyrannical people who act out. Suedehead is probably 60, and is an incorrigible bully. In fact many of the most vociferous Madonna "fans" are in a perpetual state of egoic reactivity. 

+1, it's hard to argue with what seems to be a bunch of googleless, hubristic clowns.

I hated Madonnation because the mods seemed to be mental inquisitors but i've just been insulted by someone here (and i wasn't the only one) so i don't know if it's any better now. You may disagree with someone but name calling and insulting is never an option and in a way it invalidates your point (even if you are right). I'm a bit disappointed by Infinity now.

3 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

I hated Madonnation because the mods seemed to be mental inquisitors but i've just been insulted by someone here (and i wasn't the only one) so i don't know if it's any better now. You may disagree with someone but name calling and insulting is never an option and in a way it invalidates your point (even if you are right). I'm a bit disappointed by Infinity now.

It’s strange to me that the vast majority of people on these boards are adults, but they act like spoilt children behind a screen. There’s meant to be passion in a fanbase, but Madonna fan forums have been a toxic environment more often than not for the greater part of the last 12 years. The Hard Candy era was a major turning point. Arguments over plastic surgery and whether or not we are entitled to express an opinion at all have usurped the very essence of what initially brought Madonna fans together online at the turn of the century; a thirst for a deeper understanding of Madonna the individual, and Madonna the entertainer and public figure. Exploring the triumphs, the failures, the paradoxes and the evolutionary process of her creative output as the world has changed should be exciting and stimulating, but there are always the loudmouths with their petulant faux outrage that serves as no more than a mask for all their own unexamined repressed shame and self-judgment. The politically correct eventually became the SJW contingency, and now those that feel the least at peace with themselves use their online identities to attack people for expressing opinion at any cost because they thrive on having somewhere to express all that anger inside. Sad indeed, but one just has to accept that there will always be a peanut gallery. If there’s anything I’ve learned from Madonna, it’s to process your wounds privately and then come back fighting smarter. 

Just now, Blue Prince said:

Hey people, does that forum comparing celebrate Bestime Stories' latest success in any way? Don't make this positive moment end on a bad note please. Sure there must be another place for you to have that conversation :heart:

Discussing Madonna is a celebration of her, and on a Madonna forum, there is room to discuss everything related to here wherever, however and whenever. 

1 minute ago, Alibaba said:

Discussing Madonna is a celebration of her, and on a Madonna forum, there is room to discuss everything related to here wherever, however and whenever. 

The forum yes of course, this particular topic however is about Bedtime Stories. Maybe start a new topic about forums that some of us will know not to open :rainbow:

10 minutes ago, Blue Prince said:

The forum yes of course, this particular topic however is about Bedtime Stories. Maybe start a new topic about forums that some of us will know not to open :rainbow:

Bedtime Stories is a sublimely understated album that has served as the backdrop to many an evening filled with chill vibes and good conversation over the last almost twenty-six years. Madonna served some of her subtlest vocal sweetness ever on it, and it deserves every moment of recognition for being as contemporary and fresh today as it was three decades ago. This will always be the trajectory of the general public when it comes to appreciating her work. I’m very happy to see Bedtime Stories help to restore Madonna’s good reputation as a purveyor of all extraordinary things musical and visual. Madonnanation still sucks, and my thought process will continue to be such that I elaborate on other people’s points of view whether they stay the course of the primary topic or they veer off into expansive dialog worthy of a fanbase! Cheers!

• Enrico unfeatured this topic