Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

22 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I'm still really curious to see what Madonna was thinking with the Luke Slater. It was such a departure from her usual light and fluffy club mixes - 

I remember a type of hard-core dance music named Rotterdam. My friend was obsessed the rave scene back in the 90s. I feel like M was inspired by playing with various dance genres, especially the hard-core scene.

26 minutes ago, Robertthenurse said:

I remember a type of hard-core dance music named Rotterdam. My friend was obsessed the rave scene back in the 90s. I feel like M was inspired by playing with various dance genres, especially the hard-core scene.

Yes true - but, it was still a massive departure from the fluffy ROL mixes for all the singles previously - just found it interesting! I mean, the Slater filtered mix - where on earth would you hear that lol 

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

Yes true - but, it was still a massive departure from the fluffy ROL mixes for all the singles previously - just found it interesting! I mean, the Slater filtered mix - where on earth would you hear that lol 

I know!! I'm telling you. It's what kids were in to those days lol

4 hours ago, Andreo said:

Genuine question: I sadly admit I'm still not that much into her maxisingles, I basically know very few remixes of hers (not counting FEL obviously) but...

Are the TPOG remixes really THAT bad? And what is in your opinion the best maxisingle out here?

Asking because I'm gonna get more into them in the future 

Imo Like A Prayer will always be her best maxi single/remix ep. There are distinct, different versions that do something unique w/the song. Justify My Love is stellar in that respect too.

I also really like Erotica, Frozen, Hung Up, American Life. I like it when there are mixes that all sorta do something different with a song.

I’m not as crazy about the remix eps from the mid 90s to early 00s that have 10, 12, 15 tracks. They’re too long and imo the mixes are too indistinct. Endless long remixes that start to blend together. Plenty of people love them though so it‘s all what you prefer.

5 hours ago, Jackie said:

Berghain and other german industrial nightclubs.  I was also kind of curious what could have made Madonna every choose him as a remixer and listened to his biggest song Love which sounds kind of like if Underworld remixed Justify My Love (it has spoken vocals reminiscent of JML and Erotica - in fact it sounds a lot like the Erotica portion of the Thunderpuss GHV2 Club Megamix).  Certainly better than his POG remix but that's a very low bar.  Much more excited for the Don't Tell Me and other American Life singles than her worst remix package.

Edited by luckypierre78 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, A. A. Aardvark said:

this is a complaint ?
:dance:
how many mixes of into the groove where there in 1985 ??

None til 87? Idk I was 6 🙃

I’m very glad all those remixes are available for the completists and collectors and people who are into them. But mannnn, trying to get through 13 remixes to figure out which one(s) you like is daunting af.

Seven (or is it eight?) damn junior vasquez remixes that mostly sound similar is a chore to get through. 😭🤣

4 hours ago, Diieeego said:

If you’re just getting into maxi singles I would start with Frozen. Very varied, and most of the remixes are very good!

OMG just realized It was my very first attempt to maxisingles, I don't remember each version but the drum version was cool and the Meltdown one was transcendental!!! And I love the Calderone one so I might go for it first for a more complete listen! Frozen is always perfect on any level ngl

To me The Power has has good selections of remixes, not all for just listening of course but I know the Slater mix was played in underground techno clubs. 
My least fav maxis for the golden era is probably Don’t Tell Me. 
In more recent time aside from a couple of mixes I hated all the remixes from MDNA and Rebel Heart. Madame X was a return to form. 

I don't think some songs are ripe for remixing and Don't Tell Me is one of those songs. Ive never cared for the super queer Thundepuss style of remix anyway. Richard Vission mix is shite and the Timo Mass which is the most creative of the three is perfunctory at best. Personal taste I suppose. I also think the Don't Tell Me Radio edit feels like the track cut out at the end its butchered. 

7 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I don't think some songs are ripe for remixing and Don't Tell Me is one of those songs. Ive never cared for the super queer Thundepuss style of remix anyway. Richard Vission mix is shite and the Timo Mass which is the most creative of the three is perfunctory at best. Personal taste I suppose. I also think the Don't Tell Me Radio edit feels like the track cut out at the end its butchered. 

Don't Tell Me is very remixable. The Tracy Young remix is amazing for the dance floor.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW