Single Reissues Campaign - Who's That Girl - OUT NOW

New_Boy

50 minutes ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Burning up is divine in all versions, surprising the digital single has the new album version considering it wasn't on any single

Yeah I really don’t know why the felt like adding the LP versions over some of the actual single mixes or edits on plenty of these re-issues. So dumb but then again…it’s not us curating these releases but apparently someone who doesn’t have a clue.

1 hour ago, clkelley39 said:

Was the album released on CD upon its original release? CDs were still new to the market, so not every album was necessarily released on CD at the time. Madonna being a new, unproven artist, I could see Warner Bros opting not to spend money printing CDs because it was presumably expensive at first.

I think the video version of “Burning Up” is on all CD pressings because the first CD pressings came AFTER the second, third, etc pressings of the vinyl and cassettes. 

Or maybe they simple finalized the CD master after the vinyl and cassette masters…

It was released in 1983, the same year as the vinyl and cassette, but I don't know if it was released on the same date or months later. Therefore, the decision to change the version was made in 1983. The problem is that in Europe (and Japan, I believe), the original masters were maintained on vinyl and cassette for many years afterward, so they kept the original album version.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2996244-Madonna-Madonna

NC0zNzAxLnBuZw.jpeg

NS05MzIzLnBuZw.jpeg

My03NDQ0LnBuZw.jpeg

Here's a fun fact... CD's were quite common by 1983 for most artists.  In fact Billy Joel was the first major artist to release a CD of his work in 1982.

The first commercial compact disc was produced on 17 August 1982, a 1979 recording of Chopin waltzes performed by Claudio Arrau. The first 50 titles were released in Japan on 1 October 1982, the first of which was a re-release of the Billy Joel album 52nd Street. ABBA was one of the first major bands to release an album on CD in the same year. 

5 hours ago, clkelley39 said:

Was the album released on CD upon its original release? CDs were still new to the market, so not every album was necessarily released on CD at the time. Madonna being a new, unproven artist, I could see Warner Bros opting not to spend money printing CDs because it was presumably expensive at first.

I think the video version of “Burning Up” is on all CD pressings because the first CD pressings came AFTER the second, third, etc pressings of the vinyl and cassettes. 

Or maybe they simple finalized the CD master after the vinyl and cassette masters…

Possibly but there was a CD version in 1983 so it would not have been that much later.

CD’s would not have been very common then, that’s for sure.

15 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

It was released in 1983, the same year as the vinyl and cassette, but I don't know if it was released on the same date or months later. Therefore, the decision to change the version was made in 1983. The problem is that in Europe (and Japan, I believe), the original masters were maintained on vinyl and cassette for many years afterward, so they kept the original album version.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2996244-Madonna-Madonna

NC0zNzAxLnBuZw.jpeg

NS05MzIzLnBuZw.jpeg

My03NDQ0LnBuZw.jpeg

Weird... mine doesn't have the yellow print on the CD. Just the purple outlines.

12 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Possibly but there was a CD version in 1983 so it would not have been that much later.

CD’s would not have been very common then, that’s for sure.

CDs started to take off in 1986-1987. After that, it depended on each country (in Spain, for example, they didn't really take off until 1991). Before those dates, if you wanted a CD, you had to look for it in specialty stores (mostly by mail order).

Infiniters, I've just lost track on when WTG maxi's gonna be released on streamings according to UKMix, but is it gonna be this week? Thank you in advance!

P.S.: @Would You Like To Try I miss you so much, hope everything's ok to you! (I have been also distant from here...)

P.S.2: @Prayer I also miss you my friend!!!

3 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

WTG will be released on the 12th of July (Friday of next week)

Dear, thank you very much, but next time, please, tag me, as in @Anapausis, right???

And btw Brendan are you from a country where Sunday's the last day of the week? Here in Brazil we follow the Portuguese/British tradition to put Sunday as first day of week... no other country in Europe/Americas follow that tradition I suppose...

1 hour ago, Anapausis said:

Infiniters, I've just lost track on when WTG maxi's gonna be released on streamings according to UKMix, but is it gonna be this week? Thank you in advance!

P.S.: @Would You Like To Try I miss you so much, hope everything's ok to you! (I have been also distant from here...)

P.S.2: @Prayer I also miss you my friend!!!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Anapausis said:

Dear, thank you very much, but next time, please, tag me, as in @Anapausis, right???

And btw Brendan are you from a country where Sunday's the last day of the week? Here in Brazil we follow the Portuguese/British tradition to put Sunday as first day of week... no other country in Europe/Americas follow that tradition I suppose...

Did you also know that Causing A Commotion is also copyrighted! Exciting, hoping the silver screen mix edit is included

6 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Do we have an updated list of which singles aren’t on streaming ?

Not that many left actually:

- Holiday

- Like A Virgin

- Crazy For You

- Dress You Up

- Live To Tell

- True Blue

- Open Your Heart

- Who's That Girl

- Causing A Commotion

- The Look Of Love (doubt it)

- Cherish

- Oh Father? ("?" since it was a limited released in 1989)

- Dear Jessie (UK only)

- One More Chance (I wish)

- You Must Love Me

- Another Suitcase In Another Hall (what for?)

- Die Another Day

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

- Holiday

- Like A Virgin

- Crazy For You

- Dress You Up

- Live To Tell

- True Blue

- Open Your Heart

- Who's That Girl

- Causing A Commotion

- Cherish

- Dear Jessie (UK only)

- You Must Love Me

- Die Another Day

The Oh Father 7'' Edit/Single Edit on the US 7'' Single was eventually released on streaming as part of the LAP 30th anniversary version in 2019

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

Out of the list, this is what I think we may get:

- Holiday

- Like A Virgin

- Crazy For You

- Dress You Up

- Live To Tell

- True Blue

- Open Your Heart

- Who's That Girl

- Causing A Commotion

- Cherish

- Oh Father

- You Must Love Me

- Die Another Day

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

- Holiday

- Like A Virgin

- Crazy For You

- Dress You Up

- Live To Tell

- True Blue

- Open Your Heart

- Who's That Girl

- Causing A Commotion

- Cherish

- Dear Jessie (UK only)

- You Must Love Me

- Die Another Day

I fucking need Die Another Day!!!!!

1 hour ago, BoyToyMark said:

Out of the list, this is what I think we may get:

- Holiday

- Like A Virgin

- Crazy For You

- Dress You Up

- Live To Tell

- True Blue

- Open Your Heart

- Who's That Girl

- Causing A Commotion

- Cherish

- Oh Father

- You Must Love Me

- Die Another Day

From that list, if I'm not mistaken, there are still singles that contain versions that were only released on vinyl/cassette

- Dress You Up (Remix Edit)

- Open Your Heart (Remix Edit)

- Who's That Girl (Dub)

- Causing a Commotion (Movie House Edit)

- Die Another Day (Richard Humpty Vission Radio Edit)

Do we think that Who's That Girl is still coming with its original tracklist or is it going to get Causing A Commotion added? I wouldn't be talking about this if the date hadn't been moved, but hopefully it's still the original tracklist planned and not one with the remixes of Causing A Commotion 

46 minutes ago, Adonna said:

At best, I see the track listing as this:

1. "Who's That Girl" (LP version) – 3:58
  2. "Who's That Girl" (extended version) – 6:29
  3. "Who's That Girl" (dub version) – 5:07
  4. "White Heat" (LP version) – 4:40

Hopefully it's the tracklist death proof posted because its a unique single and would mean we get a Causing A Commotion single later 

10 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

The Oh Father 7'' Edit/Single Edit on the US 7'' Single was eventually released on streaming as part of the LAP 30th anniversary version in 2019

I believe that they will release it again, simply for completion purposes. They didn’t seem to mind releasing singles that were entirely available already.

The 30th anniversary editions may also get removed in the future when the actual re-issues happen. They have previously removed other versions of the albums, so it’s not too far fetched.

4 hours ago, Would You Like To Try said:

Do we think that Who's That Girl is still coming with its original tracklist or is it going to get Causing A Commotion added? I wouldn't be talking about this if the date hadn't been moved, but hopefully it's still the original tracklist planned and not one with the remixes of Causing A Commotion 

They won't get merged because they weren’t released that way in 1987. The only singles that have been merged are those zhat were released as AA-singles in the US.

I keep thinking how badly managed this whole reissued maxis on streaming has been. Missed anniversaries for some singles, but then release other album maxis. Some releases with extra remixes then others with bare minimum. Theres no fluidity at all. 
They should’ve just released a single every week from the beginning all the way to current releases. This has been going on for far too long and only big M fans are still aware of these releases as they’re doing zero promotion. Rant over.

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Who's That Girl - OUT NOW