MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Ringmybell said:

This is 35?

LIKE A PRAYER is so blockbuster and defining I know I wasn't around in that era I was born in the erotica era ....but I can imagine how HUGE this album must've been in so many ways it is literally such a standard not just in the genre but in music fully too after three big albums back to back she went colossal wuth this one and never looked back...legend

Madonna-2.jpg

3 hours ago, ChromaticanMondasia said:

LIKE A PRAYER is so blockbuster and defining I know I wasn't around in that era I was born in the erotica era ....but I can imagine how HUGE this album must've been in so many ways it is literally such a standard not just in the genre but in music fully too after three big albums back to back she went colossal wuth this one and never looked back...legend

Madonna-2.jpg

When this album was released, the impact was a bit more lowkey than her previous releases.  While the Pepsi fiasco and the lead single/title track was huge, the album as a whole really wasn't a huge focus compared to the controversies that followed the title track.  I do recall the video premieres were big debuts on MTV.  Express Yourself video premiere had numerous teasers for a couple of weeks before hand.  Radio played the hell out of the first two singles throughout the summer. Cherish came along towards the end of the summer. It was a bit more low key than the first two releases.  Oh Father came along by the late fall, and again was more low key.   I don't feel like the album got it's just dues, but it still was very successful and the Pepsi fiasco really helped even though some were hating on her big time then as well.

8 minutes ago, James19709 said:

Have we got anything out of this deal yet? I wasn't interested in the remix album if that was a part of it

To be fair, if you have no idea about what has been released in the last 3 years under the deal, you probably aren't that interested in what will be released lol

Just now, GregVsMatt said:

To be fair, if you have no idea about what has been released in the last 3 years under the deal, you probably aren't that interested in what will be released lol

I'm not into remixes or merch. I'll assume there's been nothing aside from those.

17 hours ago, McDonna said:

When this album was released, the impact was a bit more lowkey than her previous releases.  While the Pepsi fiasco and the lead single/title track was huge, the album as a whole really wasn't a huge focus compared to the controversies that followed the title track.  I do recall the video premieres were big debuts on MTV.  Express Yourself video premiere had numerous teasers for a couple of weeks before hand.  Radio played the hell out of the first two singles throughout the summer. Cherish came along towards the end of the summer. It was a bit more low key than the first two releases.  Oh Father came along by the late fall, and again was more low key.   I don't feel like the album got it's just dues, but it still was very successful and the Pepsi fiasco really helped even though some were hating on her big time then as well.

I would say it did pretty well at first- it was her highest bb200 debut at the time and still her longest #1, and ofc critical acclaim. It just didn’t have True Blue longevity or Like A Virgin blockbuster sales.

This is just in the US though. Interestingly its sales and certs are about on par w/LAV internationally.

IIRC Cherish was a decent hit. It wasn’t as bombastic as the first two and hasn’t had the longevity. I remember seeing the video a lot. Just Say Julie did a sketch on it I still remember lol. It seemed to appeal to some people that didn’t usually like her bc the sort of 60s jangle pop vibe.

The controversy def turned off some Americans. I also think the sound of it was a lesser factor. The songwriting’s great but the production came out a little adult contemporary-ish. I think she lost the attention of some younger pop fans for a time. That’s why remixes were important for most of the singles.

5 minutes ago, MikeyK said:

I would say it did pretty well at first- it was her highest bb200 debut at the time and still her longest #1, and ofc critical acclaim. It just didn’t have True Blue longevity or Like A Virgin blockbuster sales.

This is just in the US though. Interestingly its sales and certs are about on par w/LAV internationally.

IIRC Cherish was a decent hit. It wasn’t as bombastic as the first two and hasn’t had the longevity. I remember seeing the video a lot. Just Say Julie did a sketch on it I still remember lol. It seemed to appeal to some people that didn’t usually like her bc the sort of 60s jangle pop vibe.

The controversy def turned off some Americans. I also think the sound of it was a lesser factor. The songwriting’s great but the production came out a little adult contemporary-ish. I think she lost the attention of some younger pop fans for a time. That’s why remixes were important for most of the singles.

Yes, everything you state here is correct.  I remember thinking that the longevity for the album didn't last like True Blue.  And as massive as Like A Prayer the song was at the time, I was shocked the album didn't sale at leas as much as True Blue did. She still was everywhere. 

I do recall Cherish doing fairly well, but then when Oh Father came out, I remember missing the premiere of the video because MTV didn't even make a big deal about the video release as they did with LAP and Express Yourself and even Cherish. 

Again, even when Keep It Together was released, I had no idea it was happening. I just recall driving to work one day and the single version came on the radio unexpectedly.  I remember freaking over it because it was different from the album version.

Then wham!  Vogue came out and that was HUGE!!!  For months, MTV did stories and video marathons on her.  There were several weekends dedicate to only Madonna.  Oh I miss those times when she was so heavily promoted like that without a second thought.

14 hours ago, James19709 said:

Have we got anything out of this deal yet? I wasn't interested in the remix album if that was a part of it

No lmao. Only like 10 fans care about the lazy merch or the remixes added to streaming that every other pre streaming artist has had added to their page for a decade. 

The deal has produced nothing of value so far besides rereleased crap that the brown nosers  purchase immediately. No wonder M or Warner don’t release actual stuff. They have bottom ass bitches buying the same shit they’ve released 20+ years ago :Madonna009:

15 hours ago, James19709 said:

A plethora of Digital single/edits/remixes added to digital and streaming platforms

Video HD/4K upgrades

Everybody Vinyl 40th Anniversary (which was added to streaming/digital platforms as well).

Erotica picture disc Vinyl Re-issue

Who's That Girl Super Club Mix Vinyl (including Causing A Commotion)

Finally Enough Love: Fifty Number Ones (released on multiple formats including CD, Vinyl, Streaming and digital platforms.  As well as the abridge version on multiple platforms and the Rainbow Edition)

Madame X Tour Experience (On multiple formats: digital, streaming and Vinyl)

American Life Mix Show Vinyl

True Blue (Silver Vinyl)

Did I miss anything @Prayerand @GregVsMatt?  The over all purpose is to take Madonna's catalog (even the Interscope albums) and house it under Warner, allowing it to be curated in all sorts of projects over a course of many years (hence the mention of  "Multi-year" deal).  Within this deal, Madonna and company will be able to curate a number of projects on multiple platforms which has already been happening.  The deal also includes curating special deluxe versions of "landmark" albums that were specifically mentioned to celebrate her 40 years in the business. The latter hasn't happened, but at the same time, this is a "multi-year" deal and nothing was promised at any specific time.

At the end of the day, sorta like @GregVsMattstated, if you're not interest in the curating of her back catalog and what's been happening in the last three years, you won't be interested in what's to come.  But it's quite evident most are stuck on one part of the deal, and thinking that the promise of Deluxe Re-Issuses of her albums is what makes up this entire deal which is furthest from the truth. The fact is; the whole idea is to cultivate and curate her back catalog and hopefully curate even more content throughout the next few years.  I personally have enjoyed what has come, and look forward to what's to come next.  :)

Like A Prayer single was huge. 
Express Yourself felt like it underperformed a little. Cherish did well. The videos were in heavy rotation.  In the UK surprisingly Dear Jessie was a big hit. Number 5 at Xmas. It was the second most successful single and outsold Express Yourself and Cherish. 
Shocker huh. The Beatles influence maybe. 
Then it got messy. I used to watch the American chart show late night and saw the video for Oh Father which I had no idea had been released. Then I saw. Keep It Together 12” import in HMV and was like “what the fuck is going on”, Then I saw an advert in a magazine for a new single called Vogue. 
Dear Jessie had only been out of the UK top forty about a month before Vogue dropped and it felt like the Like A Prayer era sort of limped out very much unlike True Blue had two years earlier with La Isla going number one as the fifth single. 

Like A Prayer was a challenging album when you first listen. After the sheen of True Blue and the almost saccharine retreads of the WTG singles and Spotlight, the raw LAP sound felt like whiplash. Like A Prayer was essentially a rhythm guitar track with a hint of rock and gospel. It was so different. 

I got the album on release day and listened to it back to back three times and hated it. Where were my my big sing along Bopp love bangers? 
it took several listens for Express Yourself, Cherish and Keep It Together to start jumping out. The rest took more time. 

I imagine this was a similar story for many other 13 year olds who were just used to sugary pop songs. 

Madonna was clever here. She knew she needed to bring her audience with her but push them along a bit. The album was pivotal to her longevity as an artist so its sales were probably known to be compromised somewhat in order to secure the next phase of her career. 

Vogue secured the bag after the 4/5/6th chaotic / underperforming singles run and brought her kicking and screaming into the new decade. 

Like A Prayer, Listen Without Prejudice and Rhythm Nation in that 12 month period literally made me grow into a teenager from a child musically. And Like A Prayer was the catalyst. It’s my favourite M album with Erotica. 

The real crowning glory for Like A Prayer however was the Blond Ambition Tour a month after Vogue dropped. It just turned things stratospheric with MTV just relentlessly playing her. It was non stop Madonna. So really you have to count Blond Ambition as part of the Like A Prayer era.

Breathless wasn’t released til May and Dick Tracy til June. So all of those songs were really premiered live on tour and the tour was sold off the back of LAP and Vogue. 

Side note. Oh Father flopped somewhat due to a lack of 12”. It was her first single Warner single not to receive a 12” and collectors were like WTF. Live To Tell and The Look Of Love were  ballads and got 12” releases.  The visibility in stores a 12” single brings is vastly superior to a 3” cd single. 

4 hours ago, steady75 said:

Side note. Oh Father flopped somewhat due to a lack of 12”. It was her first single Warner single not to receive a 12” and collectors were like WTF. Live To Tell and The Look Of Love were  ballads and got 12” releases.  The visibility in stores a 12” single brings is vastly superior to a 3” cd single. 

It’s like Warner never wanted to fully support it even though they agreed to it. They gaslighted her a little with that one.

”LAP” era is super interesting. I can’t imagine being a fan coming from the three previous albums and suddenly getting that album. But it paid off. 

On 3/21/2024 at 5:17 PM, Curtains said:

Let's say that they'll reissue the first album along with Like a Virgin this year, what do you think could be the tracklist?

Realistically, and if they're willing to package this as a boxset, they could do something like this.

CD 1 - ORIGNAL FIRST ALBUM WITH 4 BONUS TRACKS:

09-Ain't No Big Deal

10-Burning Up (Steve Bray Demo)

11-Everybody (Steve Bray Demo)

12-Ain't No Big Deal (Steve Bray Demo)

CD 2 - ORIGINAL LIKE A VIRGIN ALBUM (+ ITG)  WITH 4 BONUS TRACKS:

11-Desperately Seeking Susan [Unreleased]

12-Angel (Steve Bray Demo)

13-Over and Over (Steve Bray Demo)

14-Shoo-Bee-Doo (Steve Bray Demo)

CD 3 - THE REMIXES:

01-Everybody (UK 12" Mix)

02-Burning Up (12" Mix)

03-Lucky Star (US Remix)

04-Borderline (US Remix)

05-Like a Virgin (Extended Dance Remix)

06-Material Girl (Extended Dance Remix)

07-Angel (Extended Dance Remix)

08-Dress You Up (12" Formal Mix)

CD 4 - THE VIRGIN TOUR

Of course we can always wish for more but if these two albums are packaged together, this will limit the possibilities for the tracklist to be truly expanded as I don't see a 8 CD Boxset being released. Also, as much as I would like the Vision Quest tracks along with these, I feel like they won't get included, though I'd like to be proven wrong and have Crazy for You (with its Jellybean demo), Gambler (with its Steve Bray demo) and of course Warning Signs.

There’s so much out there. Why limit to just 4 bonus tracks per release? 🥴

At the bare minimum for Like A Virgin Super Deluxe I'd want this cover on vinyl in the Blue. 

44zk0jkpdvtb1.jpg

Disc One - Remastered extended album

1. Material Girl
  2. Angel
  3. Like A Virgin
  4. Over & Over
  5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
  6. Into The Groove
  7. Dress You Up
  8. Pretender
  9. Stay
  10. Gambler
  11. Crazy For You 

Disc Two - Unreleased

1. Desperately Seeking Susan [Unreleased]
  2. Warning Signs [Unreleased]
  3. Don't You Know (demo)
  4. Stay (demo)
  5. Angel (Steve Bray Demo)
  6. Over and Over (Steve Bray Demo)
  7. Shoo-Bee-Doo (Steve Bray Demo)
  8. Like a Virgin (Nile Rodgers 12" Remix)
  9. Into The Groove (Movie Version)
  10. Crazy for You (Jellybean Version)
  11. Gambler (Steve Bray Version)

(hopefully another 3-4 we don't know about added here too)

Disc Three - The mixes

1. Like a Virgin (Extended Dance Remix) 
  2. Material Girl (Extended Dance Remix) 
  3. Angel (Extended Dance Remix) 
  4. Dress You Up (The 12" Formal Mix) 
  5. Gambler (Extended Dance Mix) 
  6. Material Girl (7" version)
  7. Like A Virgin (7" version)
  8. Angel (Video edit)
  9. Into The Groove (Video edit)
  10. Angel (Remix edit)
  11. Dress You Up ( 7" remix)
  12. Dress You Up (Casual instrumental mix)

Disc Four: The Virgin Tour Live (Audio)

1. Dress You Up
  2. Holiday
  3. Into The Groove
  4. Everybody
  5. Angel
  6. Gambler
  7. Borderline
  8. Lucky Star
  9. Over & Over
  10. Burning Up
  11. Like A Virgin
  12. Material Girl

Disc Five : The Videos

1. Like A Virgin 
  2. Material Girl 
  3. Angel 
  4. Into The Groove 
  5. Dress You Up
  6. Cray For You
  7. Gambler
  8. Like A Virgin (MTV awards)
  9. Dress You Up ( Keith Harring Birthday Party)

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

At the bare minimum for Like A Virgin Super Deluxe I'd want this cover on vinyl in the Blue. 

44zk0jkpdvtb1.jpg

Disc One - Remastered extended album

1. Material Girl
  2. Angel
  3. Like A Virgin
  4. Over & Over
  5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
  6. Into The Groove
  7. Dress You Up
  8. Pretender
  9. Stay
  10. Gambler
  11. Crazy For You 

Disc Two - Unreleased

1. Desperately Seeking Susan [Unreleased]
  2. Warning Signs [Unreleased]
  3. Don't You Know (demo)
  4. Stay (demo)
  5. Angel (Steve Bray Demo)
  6. Over and Over (Steve Bray Demo)
  7. Shoo-Bee-Doo (Steve Bray Demo)
  8. Like a Virgin (Nile Rodgers 12" Remix)
  9. Into The Groove (Movie Version)
  10. Crazy for You (Jellybean Version)
  11. Gambler (Steve Bray Version)

(hopefully another 3-4 we don't know about added here too)

Disc Three - The mixes

1. Like a Virgin (Extended Dance Remix) 
  2. Material Girl (Extended Dance Remix) 
  3. Angel (Extended Dance Remix) 
  4. Dress You Up (The 12" Formal Mix) 
  5. Gambler (Extended Dance Mix) 
  6. Material Girl (7" version)
  7. Like A Virgin (7" version)
  8. Angel (Video edit)
  9. Into The Groove (Video edit)
  10. Angel (Remix edit)
  11. Dress You Up ( 7" remix)
  12. Dress You Up (Casual instrumental mix)

Disc Four: The Virgin Tour Live (Audio)

1. Dress You Up
  2. Holiday
  3. Into The Groove
  4. Everybody
  5. Angel
  6. Gambler
  7. Borderline
  8. Lucky Star
  9. Over & Over
  10. Burning Up
  11. Like A Virgin
  12. Material Girl

Disc Five : The Videos

1. Like A Virgin 
  2. Material Girl 
  3. Angel 
  4. Into The Groove 
  5. Dress You Up
  6. Cray For You
  7. Gambler
  8. Like A Virgin (MTV awards)
  9. Dress You Up ( Keith Harring Birthday Party)

I certainly wouldn't scoff at this!  I won't hold my breath, but we can dream can't we?  LOL! :)