Madonna's Spotify Progress

Fabiolous

On 7/1/2023 at 4:22 PM, thegoldencalf said:

I don’t like AI upscales but surely you can see how some of these videos are way superior than any previous releases. 
Bad Girl, Fever, American Pie, Erotica etc. 

yes some of those look marginally better than the dvds especially as they finally bothered to release in 16x9 version but they could still look a lot better - imagine how beautiful oh father or bad girl would look in true HD 🥰

4 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

yes some of those look marginally better than the dvds especially as they finally bothered to release in 16x9 version but they could still look a lot better - imagine how beautiful oh father or bad girl would look in true HD 🥰

Unfortunately I think it’s impossible to get all the videos in HD. Honesty I wouldn’t mind getting the original SD masters at a high bitrate without any AI Upscale artifacts 

16 hours ago, steady75 said:

Material Girl being her biggest streaming hit is wild to me. It really must just be all the 80’s playlists out there. The power of consumerism ironic feminist anthems. Just shows how important playlisting is. 

Have you seen the numbers Girls Just Wanna Have Fun does? It’s INSANE. That and I Wanna Dance With Somebody do wild numbers, leaps and bounds over any M song. Time After Time too. I saw this recently and at first was kinda taken aback until I thought about the playlist factor. On apple music, and I’m assuming spotify as well, GJWHF & IWDWS are on like every single damn playlist they can get on. MG and a few other M songs are on a good amount too but nowhere near as many. And often times buried way down the list. Warner (or Madonna herself lol) are probably too damn cheap to pay for the extra exposure.

I don’t think Madonna has ever been mad box office gross in terms of numbers. It always  seems like she’s consistently done enough to be number one chart wise but in terms of runaway success her numbers feels like they may always have been moderate. I don’t think she even has a million seller song here in the UK. Into The Groove was closest I think. I really think this has been key to her longevity. Loads of people have liked different Madonna songs or albums at different times which has never made her feel like a fad. Omni present.   

22 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I don’t think Madonna has ever been mad box office gross in terms of numbers. It always  seems like she’s consistently done enough to be number one chart wise but in terms of runaway success her numbers feels like they may always have been moderate. I don’t think she even has a million seller song here in the UK. Into The Groove was closest I think. I really think this has been key to her longevity. Loads of people have liked different Madonna songs or albums at different times which has never made her feel like a fad. Omni present.   

Her UK singles sales are amazing, though:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/madonna-s-official-top-40-biggest-selling-singles__8266

(2017 numbers, should be more now)

01. Into The Groove: 878.000

02. Like A Virgin: 832.000

03. Crazy For You: 782.000

04. Holiday: 718.000

05. Papa Don't Preach: 651.000

06. Hung Up: 626.000

07. Like A Prayer: 614.000

08. True Blue: 557.000

09. Frozen: 556.000

10. Beautiful Stranger: 535.000

I know the million figure seems the norm for big smashes but for instance the Spice Girls "only" have two songs above 1M in the UK: "Wannabe" and "2 Become 1".

I'm always surprised to see "True Blue"''s single power, also on streaming today.

58 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Her UK singles sales are amazing, though:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/madonna-s-official-top-40-biggest-selling-singles__8266

(2017 numbers, should be more now)

01. Into The Groove: 878.000

02. Like A Virgin: 832.000

03. Crazy For You: 782.000

04. Holiday: 718.000

05. Papa Don't Preach: 651.000

06. Hung Up: 626.000

07. Like A Prayer: 614.000

08. True Blue: 557.000

09. Frozen: 556.000

10. Beautiful Stranger: 535.000

I know the million figure seems the norm for big smashes but for instance the Spice Girls "only" have two songs above 1M in the UK: "Wannabe" and "2 Become 1".

I'm always surprised to see "True Blue"''s single power, also on streaming today.

That was six years ago, there's no way she hasn't had a million selling single in the UK by now.

6 hours ago, MikeyK said:

Have you seen the numbers Girls Just Wanna Have Fun does? It’s INSANE. That and I Wanna Dance With Somebody do wild numbers, leaps and bounds over any M song. Time After Time too. I saw this recently and at first was kinda taken aback until I thought about the playlist factor. On apple music, and I’m assuming spotify as well, GJWHF & IWDWS are on like every single damn playlist they can get on. MG and a few other M songs are on a good amount too but nowhere near as many. And often times buried way down the list. Warner (or Madonna herself lol) are probably too damn cheap to pay for the extra exposure.

How many Cyndi Lauper songs do people know! The obvious one, Time After Time and maybe True Colours, that's it really. Whitney is dead so of course hers will be higher. Madonna has consistently released hit after hit. In the UK she has an unprecedented 35 consecutive top 10 hits, no one has come close to beating that and I doubt they ever will.

A moderate amount of sales and streams shared by songs in half your catalog is better than having a song or two being flooded with streams and then the rest of you discography being long ass forgotten. She's the first case and that's much better than looking like a 80s fad with just two remembered hits (no offense) 

New big Spotify peaks yesterday:

- "Popular": 72M

- "Hung Up": 336M

- "Like A Virgin" (Album Version): 233M

- "Erotica" ("Celebration"/"GHV2" Edit): 6M

- "Burning Up": 11M

- "Live To Tell": 47M

- "Don't Tell Me": 27M

- "Borderline" (Album Version/"Immaculate" Digital Version): 20M

- "Act Of Contrition": 1M

- "Forbidden Love" ("Confessions"): 10M

6 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

How many Cyndi Lauper songs do people know! The obvious one, Time After Time and maybe True Colours, that's it really. Whitney is dead so of course hers will be higher. Madonna has consistently released hit after hit. In the UK she has an unprecedented 35 consecutive top 10 hits, no one has come close to beating that and I doubt they ever will.

Right but the point I’m getting at is they get those numbers bc excessive playlisting. Yes Whitney is deceased but still that song is on nearly every single damn Apple playlist I look at. And Arista is damn well doing whatever they can to make that happen. It’s the Clive Davis way. The rest of Lauper’s catalog indeed does f**k all. But still, I can’t help but wonder why Material Girl or Like A Prayer can’t get those numbers. It’s bc of all those playlists GJWHF and TAT are on.

For what it’s worth, Ray of Light is one of her higher streamed songs on Apple. Much higher than on Spotify. It’s also on a good amount of Apple playlists. Not a ton like the others mentioned above, but a good amount. Apparently someone there really likes it lol.

The fact that she was able to muster the amazing success over the years that she did is actually pretty remarkable considering Warner mostly seemed to do the bare minimum. She never had a Tommy Mottola or Clive Davis behind her playing the game and manipulating whatever they could.

2 hours ago, MikeyK said:

For what it’s worth, Ray of Light is one of her higher streamed songs on Apple. Much higher than on Spotify. It’s also on a good amount of Apple playlists. Not a ton like the others mentioned above, but a good amount. Apparently someone there really likes it lol.

Microsoft Employees have zero chill

11 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

That's not true... There are four songs, you forgot "I drove all night" (my favorite one and the only song by Celine Dione that I listen :P).

I think that's the reason why Madonna doesn't make the big editions others do. I mean, you buy "Like a virgin", "True blue" "Like a prayer", "Ray of light"... and you have various hit singles that can make general public buy them. Now imagine a reedition of another artist that has the big hit known by everybody and that's all... Or you put lots of extras on them to make people buy it or... And I have to say that I admire and respect Cindy and all the professionals that make music (maybe I don't like them but they have my respect) and most of them don't have more than one album with so many hits like Madonna does.