POPULAR

30 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that Plaiboi carti was one of the writers. He definitely deserves to be at the top of the credits and even more so due to the great contribution that those deep and almost poetic lyrics that he sang during his participation in the song meant.

By the way, I just saw The Weeknd's Youtube account and even though they initially put Madonna in the last place of the credits then they posted another video of the song and this time Madonna appears second!! 

It is good that The Weeknd did not get carried away by these formalisms that establish that only the producers and writers of the songs go in the first places of the credits and decided to repair his "mistake" by giving Madonna the place she deserves because she is not any artist with a couple of hits who then disappears without a trace or loses popularity and then tries to regain it by releasing songs each more hideous and ridiculous than the last. No. Madonna is a legendary artist and a reference for the artists of these new generations. That is why I thank The Weeknd for not only calling her to sing on this beautiful song but also giving her the place she deserves in the credits despite not being involved in the production of the song. That speaks highly of him.

I think it's always important to keep things in perspective when being passionate about someone you follow.  Not everything is about them.  While Madonna is always a good mention for a lot of things, it isn't always the case either. She is very polarizing, but in The Weeknd's case, it appears he's tapping into a lot of what Madonna's experienced in her own career with his latest project "The Idol".  Some of the scenarios presented in "The Idol" can be relatable to what Madonna has probably experienced. 

I'm all for taking Madonna to task on some of the things she says and does, but more than not, she's on the right side of things.  She's never hurting anyone and she's usually exposing people's ignorance towards things, which again makes her very polarizing. A lot of people react the way they do, due to their fears, misinformation or ignorance.  People don't like having that thrown in their face. Women have been known in history to be far more conservative, demure and silent, but Madonna is none of them.  Plenty of people before her have broken that barrier, but she has been continuing in trying to break down barriers and hang ups people have had even currently.  It's crazy to think how some still ignorant about things like Aids, sexuality, and many other issues that should be left up to an individual, rather the government.  Too many people are quick to judge and make assumptions without really knowing who they are judging if not convicting. 

16 hours ago, EgoRod said:

There are 3 producers in the song: Missy Elliott (whom you forget who she is before) writing partner  Rockwilder and Ron Fair. Ron Fair was Christina's producer and he made clear that she will take part under the conditions of being the lead singer with the best show off parts. That was part of the drama between Christina and Pink at the time. Lil Kim had far more experience and background that Christina at the time, she was'nt a Disney sub-product thou, but she was part of Biggie's entourage back in the 90s. And she was friends with Missy and Rockwilder.

It wasn't about who was a star but who was putting the money for it.

It's true. But I think any producer would have put Christina Aguilera in the first places of the credits anyway because she was the most successful star at the time and her fame would help not only get the song to number one on the charts but the other unknowns will end up sucking a bit of Christina Aguilera's popularity. In fact, I think that for two of them this song was the only great success of their entire career and the only transcendental thing they did as artists.

And as for Pink, Christina Aguilera never got down to her vulgar and confrontational level to respond to her and she only did it in the most intelligent way possible: putting her name in the last place in the credits of the song on her Youtube channel!! Haha How I love this woman! It IS something I like about her: not getting carried away by violent emotions and resorting to insults (like some users on this forum) and facing a conflict intelligently so as not to lose class and elegance.

9 minutes ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

It's true. But I think any producer would have put Christina Aguilera in the first places of the credits anyway because she was the most successful star at the time and her fame would help not only get the song to number one on the charts but the other unknowns will end up sucking a bit of Christina Aguilera's popularity. In fact, I think that for two of them this song was the only great success of their entire career and the only transcendental thing they did as artists.

And as for Pink, Christina Aguilera never got down to her vulgar and confrontational level to respond to her and she only did it in the most intelligent way possible: putting her name in the last place in the credits of the song on her Youtube channel!! Haha How I love this woman! It IS something I like about her: not getting carried away by violent emotions and resorting to insults (like some users on this forum) and facing a conflict intelligently so as not to lose class and elegance.

You do realize in most cases it isn't up to the artists to decide whose name is billed first?  It's decided by the industry in charge who takes in consideration who is most popular at the moment.  Christina was definitely in her stride while P!nk was the rising star people were paying attention to, while both LIL Kim and Mya were coming to their own.  Remember this is a COVER song which is made famous by Patty Labelle.  Only to be resurrected by the popularity of the movie Moulin Rouge.  P!nk was the latest gal in entering the pop world, so it's quite reasonable to make sure she is within top billing.  Anything else sounds like dramatic tabloid nonsense.

11 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

That's not true. She was put first because her manager/producer make that agreement. She was big at the time? Yes, but that was'nt the reason. Also this was her last number one chart song as a lead singer. It's hilarious how you always refer to unknowns to artist you have no clue about, telling more about your musical ignorance (or selected hyperfixation)  Pink released Missundaztood just after and it was huge. I never care for her but at least I remember she was'nt forgotten after that.

Also princess  you are not facing conflict intelligently , you talk out your ass formulaic nonsense . Don't pat yourself too hard in your back, you might  hurt your wrist.

1 hour ago, Askeroff said:

Madonna new record was mentioned in GMA today! :fingerclick:

Madonna now has Billboard Hot 100 hits in 5 different decades

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/culture/video/madonna-now-billboard-hot-100-hits-5-decades-100063637

Good press!  I'm happy GMA made light of it.  It's so strange to hear people say "her new single" when her solo is so short.

21 minutes ago, Nahual said:

Why are they calling Popular a "Billboard Hot 100 hit" when it's only peaked at #43 and will inevitably drop a ton next week? Do they call any song that charts on the Hot 100 for at least one week a "hit" by default? Is NRM a Hot 100 "hit" too? 

They're the 100 most popular songs in the country between thousands of songs released each week.

So yes, any entry on the Hot 100 is a "Hot 100 hit", indeed. It's not that easy to crack the Billboard Hot 100. Proof is she didn't since 2015 with "Bitch I'm Madonna".

20 hours ago, tscott said:

She is very polarizing, but in The Weeknd's case, it appears he's tapping into a lot of what Madonna's experienced in her own career with his latest project "The Idol".  Some of the scenarios presented in "The Idol" can be relatable to what Madonna has probably experienced. 

I dunno, I can see some other pop stars other than Madonna in Jocely's character.... I mean, an ex-teen pop star, under control by the record label, unable to present her own ideas, struggling with mental health... I don't see Madonna in any of it... The only similarity I see with M is falling under the influence of a manipulative cult leader, but even with that the story is not unfolding as it did with Madonna and Berg. I mean, sure, every pop star has struggles and has to fight the system, but Madonna put everyone in their place early on.

I have been reading comments on various forums and on Reddit and every fan base seemed to think that everything was based on their own star, until they realized it's not all positive and now they feel offended that their favorite is being used, ridiculed, parodied.... It reminds me of the time the Natalie Portman movie came out, Vox Lux, and she complimented Madonna and the forum was overjoyed that Madonna is the inspiration for a movie with Oscar buzz... and then the character turned out to be an immature manipulative brat with a failing career and awful music, and the narrative was suddenly shifted.

I don't see M in any of it, she's the complete opposite. 

• Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI featured this topic