What is the timeline of Madonna songs/videos that made you a fan?

Aiwa08

I don't think she has releases during 2018. This was the moment when I became a fan of her.

Exactly 5 years ago this month, I started listening to her then I became a fan of her after I listened to Like A Prayer album, it became severe when I watched the Blond Ambition Tour posted on Youtube because of the LAP hangover. I remember being a hater of her before from when I was young. It just changed after I read a lot about her, listening to her music, watching her interviews, and tours as well.

Happy 5 years to me being a fan of the Queen of Pop, wishing her a good health. Although I am not hoping she will visit Philippines soon for her The Celebration Tour, but seeing her healthy on pictures and kicking butts is enough for me. I will still support her no matter what. 💙

First exposure I remember- Like A Virgin. I recall being about 6 riding in the car w/mom, LAV was on the radio. I asked her what a virgin was. She nervously said something like, “it’s kind of like a nun.” I had a general perception who M was at the time- her style, LAV & MG, that slightly older girls loved her.

What I liked along the way- Open Your Heart video. My mom really was a cool mom in the 80s. She watched MTV a lot. When the OYH video would come on she’d make me leave the room. I’d sneakily peer from the kitchen doorway, like Felix.

Also remember casually liking Live To Tell, La Isla Bonita and Who’s That Girl.

What made me a fan- Vogue & BAT. Nothing from LAP appealed to me at the time. I was more into Paula Abdul in 89 lol. Then in 90 my bff (who was already sort of a fan) and I liked Vogue, especially the video. The I’m Breathless tape was the first thing I owned. 

I watched the BAT HBO broadcast and it blew my tween mind. Became a huge fan from that point. I went out and bought up the rest of her tapes as quickly as my weekly allowance would let me. My bff and I had sleepovers nearly every weekend and would play her tapes, watch the BAT recording, rent her other two concert videos from Blockbuster. 

What a time that was. Then TIC came out. The JML controversy. The MTV Madonnathon weekends. Truth Or Dare. Her ubiquitous presence in the media.

24 minutes ago, Black Mamba said:

The interview that made me become a fan was that interview with David Letterman in ‘94 where she cursed away for no reason.

I find this very fascinating.  What about this interview turned you?  Were you a fan before that? I'm curious how this evolved? :)

7 hours ago, tscott said:

I find this very fascinating.  What about this interview turned you?  Were you a fan before that? I'm curious how this evolved? :)

I was listening to some of her music beforehand for no more than a year and a half but this really did me in. Watching that interview made me a fan. The fact that she went on live TV and cursed away without giving a fuck… even when David was obviously not fond of her doing it… that zero fucks attitude was such a pull factor for me. I don’t buy any reason she listed as to why she did it. I’m sure she just did for no other reason than she felt like it which is honestly the best reason in my opinion.

Hmmm I think it was december 95 or january 96 but You’ll See/Veras was on heavy rotation on the radio, i was a kid, 10 years old. I think that was my first time exposition to her music and not just a picture of her on a magazine.

Then during 1996 I remember there was a lot of anticipation for Evita, I saw the movie early 97, don’t cry for me argentina Miami mix was on heavy rotation, she got my attention someway. 

Then Frozen single, Ray of light album was launched, i was really into her sound, I remember watching a whole mtv weekend special with her videos that brainwashed me completely and the rest is history, I became a huge fan since then.

it started back in 1985,...when i first heard ''GAMBLER'' on the radio,at the age of 14....i was in love with this song completely...didn't know who M was before :thinker:....was verry into WHAM then.....never heard about like a virgin,material girl,holiday..... after came ''LIVE TO TELL'':heart:, and then finally, i got to watch MTV,...and M was ALLOVER the channel,...and i got to watch the early stuff!!!!!...i was memerized :hearteyes:....and hooked, by this power beautiful wild sexy girl :fire:....and i still am NOWWWWW!!!!!! ...M became my LIFE!!!!!!!! LUV      Hoping ''GAMBLER'' will be on the setlist of the tour :pray:    https://tenor.com/blSju.gif

First contact (1985):

Medley holiday - lucky star - like a virgin - material girl - into the groove at my sister's annual dance gala

After hearing that, I begged my mother to go to the record store where i bought the first album and Like a virgin

my heart stopped beating when i saw the cover of like a virgin. I had never seen anything so beautiful and attractive :hearteyes:

I became a fan within a minute

The song/video that made me a fan forever (1985):

Material girl

First contact: Holiday on the radio (didn’t think it was very amazing)

First song I liked/loved/bought: Into the Groove on the radio and bought the 12” USA release (with Angel extended version on side A)

Fan: Live to Tell on radio (bought True Blue album as my second Madonna item - the first being the Into the Groove 12”)

My first contact:

Music (Album) and Immaculate Collection from my mom in the early 2000s. 

First Music Video/Film:

4 Minutes hitting YouTube and also Sticky and Sweet when it was uploaded to YouTube.

First Performance:

Superbowl 

Songs I loved before become a hardcore fan:

Vogue, Music, Like a Virgin, 4 Minutes, GMAYL, Girl Gone Wild, Love Spent

And what finally sent me down the rabbit hole as a hardcore fan?

Living for Love (Grammy’s 2015) and then Rebel Heart as an album. From there I devoted hours to her back catalogue and then demos on YouTube and ended up here around 2016 I believe. Shorter journey to others but still quite the journey.

1st contact: Like a Virgin 1984. Thought she looked great. M was all over MTV, wannabees at my school.. it was a little much for me at 11 years old. I truly loved Into the Groove.

Fan: Express Yourself mainly because of the video, then the song grew on me. I love how Madonna introduced one of my favorite films Metropolis to me:heart:

I became a fan thanks to the Nothing Really Matters video. Its mysterious and at times terrifying scenes instantly captivated my attention due to my fondness for horror, gore and extreme videos that can challenge anyone's susceptibility and are not found on the "ordinary" internet due to their rawness.

To be honest I don't know what the original meaning of the video is. People sometimes interpret things based on their life experiences or their ways of thinking. In particular, it has always seemed to me that this video refers to suicide.

It is clear to me that everyone in the video is dead due to their excessively pale skin color. Their expressionless faces and aimless wandering refer to the souls of suicidal people unable to achieve eternal rest for having committed the worst of sins. The explicit references to suicide by hanging at 2:23 and by shooting with a firearm at 3:47 (the wall behind the women is stained with blood, something common in this kind of suicide), the first scene where Madonna appears carrying something similar to a baby in her arms, etc.

If it weren't for Nothing Really Matters, I think I would have also become a Madonna fan with the Dark Ballet video, whose personal interpretation I prefer to comment on another time so as not to distort the original meaning of this topic.

Drying her armpits in the Into The Groove video was the clincher. I thought "who is this dirty bitch" and it was love at first sight. 

My older cousin used to tape her singles for me on a cassette which I wore into the ground. Holiday was probably the song that radio played a lot here in the beginning and the playground was awash with people calling each other a Virgin but not really knowing what it meant. The UK in 85 was unreal because of the First Album re-release and the Susan / Vision Quest soundtrack. We did much better than the states because Warner UK slammed us with every single possible. 

Like A Virgin single late in 84 brought us into 1985 and the it was a single pretty much every four to six weeks until 1987. 

• NOV 84 LIKE A VIRGIN 
  • MARCH 85 : MATERIAL GIRL 
  • JUNE 85 : CRAZY FOR YOU 
  • JULY 85 : INTO THE GROOVE 
  • AUG 85 : HOLIDAY
  • SEPT 85 : ANGEL 
  • OCT 85 : GAMBLER 
  • DEC 85 : DRESS YOU UP 
  • JAN 86: BORDERLINE 
  • APRIL 86 : LIVE TO TELL
  • JUNE 86: PAPA DON'T PREACH
  • OCT 86: TRUE BLUE
  • DEC 86 OPEN YOUR HEART
  • APR 1987 : LA ISLA BONITA
  • JUL 87 : WHO'S THAT GIRL
  • SEP 87 : CAUSING A COMMOTION
  • DEC 1987 : THE LOOK OF LOVE

Lucky Star was also getting pushed in June 86 on radios too but it charted low as it wasn't really pushed by the label cause True Blue album was underway with her new clean image.

I don't know if the rest of the world knows just quite how great we had it. It was like being hit over the head month after month. I mean it was relentless. I don't think any artist has ever had such a successive run of smash singles in such close succession. Show me a better singles run that reads like a greatest hits than the list above plus Lucky Star. 

The withdrawal of 88 was fucking real man. 

I was obsessed with her the first time I heard/saw her in 1983. My previous obsession was Olivia Newton-John who I dropped like a hot potato as soon as M entered my life.

I'm ancient, so I remember seeing seeing Burning Up/Borderline/Lucky Star on Richard Blade's local music video show here in California around 1983/84. This was before it morphed into Video One and my dad refused to get cable so I didn't get MTV until after Like A Virgin came out.

The good old days where if you were lucky and sat in front of the tv you might see a 4 minute music video you've been waiting 5 hours to see.

First contact :

• Into The Groove is my first memory ever of partying to a specific "grown-up" song and feeling it, must have been in 1986.

I loved before becoming a fan (in chronological order)  :

• Who's That Girl Tour massively reported on French TV and the urban legend of her throwing her panties to Jacques Chirac.
  • the Like A Prayer marketing campaign, and again it's my first memory ever of an album release and all the excitement around.
  • Vogue at my first nights out in the club and I'm Breathless on repeat in my walkman.

The song/video that made me a fan forever :

• Justify My Love • BOOM 🤯