"I'm Breathless"

Holger

Hi there,

I know that many fans don't like this album. Personally, I like it. For me it's something like a concept album before that became a fashion.

The only thing that bothers me is the cheap music on some of the tracks. Especially "He's A Man", "Hanky Panky", "I'm Going Bananas", "Something To Remember" and "Back In Business" sound like they were played on some cheap Casio keyboard. The Bare Bones Single Mix of "Handy Panky" is so much better than the album version. And I think all the songs above would have turned out better if real instruments had been used. I mean, it's a 1930 inspired album after all.

Looking forward to your opinions.

P.S. The only song I dislike is "What Can You Lose", but that's because I don't like Mandy Patinkins vocals.

Absolutely agree, an actual band playing those songs would have made a huge difference. The production, as it stands, cheapens the entire aesthetic of the album. As a musician, it pains me to hear those tracks sometimes. The little bits featured in Bloodhounds of Broadway came out much better, even though what's featured in the film had to be rerecorded during post production, it's a more natural sound that fits the era with I Surrender Dear compared to the Breathless tracks. I'm Breathless could've been a real masterpiece if it wasn't marred by this production and included a couple more tracks without tacking on Vogue which really should have been an exclusive for The Immaculate Collection with JML and RM.

One of my favorite albums, next to the LP Like A Prayer.
After all these years, there is still so much pleasure listening to all the songs from "I'm Breathless"
Varied and coherent I love it!:luv:
The imperfections here and there and the musical references give a crazy charm and originality to the whole concept...
Finally to those who don't like He's A Man, you are making a mistake, a big mistake!:om:

I'm Breathless is simply perfect. I love each one of the songs. For me it's of her best recordings and, as an album, it's a different concept in Madonna's career.

But things said, He's A Man is a great opener, and also a great song. I can't disagree with you all who have said the same things about that song.

What Can You Lose is also fantastic, one of my favorite songs in the album.

Why just Vogue had so much recognition? I understand why Vogue had - it's one of M's hymns - but so much songs were wasted. That's what happens with all the Dick Tracy references. In any case, what matters in music is to be liked by someone, and that album actually is. :heart:

3 hours ago, Holger said:

The only thing that bothers me is the cheap music on some of the tracks. Especially "He's A Man", "Hanky Panky", "I'm Going Bananas", "Something To Remember" and "Back In Business" sound like they were played on some cheap Casio keyboard.

What?  Cheap music?  Something to Remember is one of her finest tracks.  Gotta take that song out of that list for sure.  Lol

I love the I'm Breathless album.  It was perfect for the movie.  

I just wish Madonna would have recorded her versions of the two other tracks Sondheim wrote for Dick Tracy : Live alone i like it and Back In business (so much superior to her penned Back in business especially the live slowed down version by Liza) and of all the songs Andy Paley wrote for Dick Tracy, Bananas is the absolute worst, looking glass sea or Blue Nights are way better and i wish she got Mamma Mia by les Negresses vertes (as it was written for Madonna for that soundtrack but she got it too late and it ended on the european version of the OST) on time so she could have recorded and put it on the album instead of Bananas. 

17 minutes ago, Holger said:

I didn't mean they are "cheap" as in bad songs... I only meant the musical background of the songs. They sound like played on some CASIO keyboard. I think it's not even the best sound they could have gone for in 1990.

I get what you are saying. Some things in the Leonard productions can sound "cheap" today because he had this thing about using the latest technology available with keyboards but this technology ages very fast. On True blue and on Express yourself for example, i just can't stand the synth brass on tracks like Open Your Heart and Love Makes the World Go Round. On EY they only double the real brass section but it was ver unnecessary.

39 minutes ago, Holger said:

I didn't mean they are "cheap" as in bad songs... I only meant the musical background of the songs. They sound like played on some CASIO keyboard. I think it's not even the best sound they could have gone for in 1990.

How familiar you with Casio keyboards? Gotta tell ya, you are wrong. I am ashamed to say that I have owned several different Casio model. Nothing in I'm Breathless sounds like a Casio keyboard.

The first Madonna album I bought on cd - the only songs I don’t like are cry baby and I’m going bananas but the rest is gold imo - should be an interesting one for the reissues assuming we have one planned and the artwork was gorgeous too / vogue still doesn’t sound like it should be on here though