Rio de Janeiro live May 4, 2024

16 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

There is a part in Holiday where she sings the wrong words and it doesn’t match the words you’re hearing her sing.

Okay, so they just autotuned her live vocals and made the backing vocals louder

You all know that live pitch correction/adjustment is a thing nowadays and most pop artists use it anyway on tour, right?

It's not an acoustic set in your local pub. It's a big pop show, seen by millions, meant to look and sound as good as possible.

Wait till you discover the masks on the rehearsals were maybe guiding for face retouching during the broadcast.

Thing is, relax and enjoy this huge moment. There's always smoke and mirrors in everything entertainment related.

1 hour ago, sara94 said:

Does anybody know where that og photo of her comes from? Its soo good, i would love to print it as a poster

This guy took her dress, did the Brasil coloring and then Madonna altered hers for Rios presentation I’ve been trying to get a hi quality picture if I get it I’ll pass it on to you, please if you get it pass it along. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

1 hour ago, MCL_1993 said:

Yo guys, if anything she was semi-live but that's as good as it gets. NRM, OYH, some lines in Burning Up and the Holiday skit with Bob as the doorman were live during the opening segment. Her mic was on, In this life was not live, LTT had some lines but was mostly lipped. LAP 100% lipped. That's how far my analysis goes as of now. 

All of it was live  just watch fan recordings. Sounds way different than the official broadcast audio... Everybody was lipped.. in this life is never live, its not part of the setlist, it's just one sentice...

I posted tiktok links with fan recordings from ltt and lap and they where definitely live. 

The broadcast had louder backing vocals in the mix. 

4 minutes ago, musicinferno said:

It seems they did something similar as the S&S recording - adding rehearsal vocals layered over her raw live vocals. I think it sounded pretty good! 

The S&S DVD is a shame, especially on songs like Borderline :sad:
The B rolls from Athens and Lisbon are so much metter than this joke. 

Just now, Sheridan1980 said:

The S&S DVD is a shame, especially on songs like Borderline :sad:
The B rolls from Athens and Lisbon are so much metter than this joke. 

Some of the songs were poorly mixed, that's for sure. But her live vocals were horrendous for this tour so I'm not surprised she wanted to polish them up for the release. 

Well, seems like we've come a long way from 2008. 7 months from recording to 'improved' vocals back then. 15 minutes in 2024. and all of you who participated in the lipped/live debate, I prefer the work they did in this wonderful broadcast any day, I am not there to deminish and ridicule the decisions they made to give us a better experience. It just seems that these overlaid live (rehearsal???) vocals and the pitch correction makes for an almost perfect approach for a future release, imho. I hope they don't over-produce it!

1 minute ago, musicinferno said:

Some of the songs were poorly mixed, that's for sure. But her live vocals were horrendous for this tour so I'm not surprised she wanted to polish them up for the release. 

You know that they used rehearssl vocals to 'improve' the BsAs dvd and she sounded live enough for the producers to give them something to work. Kevin Antunes said in an interview that the production team wanted her to sound extremely youthful and that he had to go so hard on the vocals that he even had to pitch up what she said (and screamed; i.e. Borderline) during or in between songs because ot wouldn't have matched, otherwise. Please don't kill me as I can't figure out the source anymore.

"You know, I didn't really have a say in that. I approached it in a similar fashion as Stuart did with the previous tours. I took a good rehearsal day and mixed the vocal stem with the soundboard from Argentina but we quickly ran into the issue of her being out of tune a lot during those shows. You need to understand that we were almost at the end of the tour and Madonna's voice wasn't getting enough rest during the south american dates. So, we decided to pitch her speaking voice up a little to mix better with the rehearsals. Then when the label reviewed it, Madonna's tour director requested a clean-up of all the instrumentals we recorded during filming of the footage in Buenos Aires. It was very unfortunate because after that clean-up, everything sounded more studio-esque, which apparently, Madonna aimed for. With our PA system, it was very easy to work on that tour because our sound was very consistent across the board. If we didn't run into issues with the venue or technical stuff screwing us over - which rarely happened, anyway- the show in Berlin would sound just as good as the show in Los Angeles, for instance. I also did a version of the soundboard using stems from shows in which she gave good vocal performances and played it to her but she didn't like it very much. So, at the end of the day, a more artificial sound was preferred over a more rough mix. Sadly, for the audience noise, I had to use stock recordings to get it right sometimes. "

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

You all know that live pitch correction/adjustment is a thing nowadays and most pop artists use it anyway on tour, right?

It's not an acoustic set in your local pub. It's a big pop show, seen by millions, meant to look and sound as good as possible.

Wait till you discover the masks on the rehearsals were maybe guiding for face retouching during the broadcast.

Thing is, relax and enjoy this huge moment. There's always smoke and mirrors in everything entertainment related.

I don't think nobody is downgrading or not enjoying the amazing experience this show was. I myself am very pleased with the audio mix we got all things considered.
I know and respect the reasoning behind making the backing track louder for broadcast and I'm sure everybody here does too.

We are just discussing and comparing the live recording from fans, that's all. There's no need to be so defensive about it. 

I don’t mind the layered and processed vocals as long as it sounds natural, for example live to tell, everybody, into the groove, and bad girl sound like just the backing vocals she’s supposed to be singing over. 

On the other hand the vocals in Hung Up and La Isla were completely fine. 
Erotica sounded amazing on the non spoken parts
Open Your Heart was okay sounding

All this needs is a little bit more prominent lead vocal on some songs to make it a perfect recording 

11 minutes ago, martassak said:

I don’t mind the layered and processed vocals as long as it sounds natural, for example live to tell, everybody, into the groove, and bad girl sound like just the backing vocals she’s supposed to be singing over. 

All this needs is a little bit more prominent lead vocal on some songs to make it a perfect recording 

Totally agree with you!

51 minutes ago, DiegoLCL said:

I don't think nobody is downgrading or not enjoying the amazing experience this show was. I myself am very pleased with the audio mix we got all things considered.
I know and respect the reasoning behind making the backing track louder for broadcast and I'm sure everybody here does too.

We are just discussing and comparing the live recording from fans, that's all. There's no need to be so defensive about it. 

I'm not defensive, I'm not her or anyone on her team xd If anything, I was trying to be explanatory.

I just find funny she's just done her biggest show ever, completed a challenging tour, everyone and their moms are praising her for it and here we're going around in circles with the audio aspect (check the last pages), when it's been like this for months on this tour, since show number 1 back in October: live vocals over her own backing track.

Just now, SuperBicycle said:

I noticed during the Vogue rap you could hear her speaking voice over the recorded rap. Did anyone else notice this?

Even in the other shows her speaking voice was always noticeable above her old recorded rapped part, only it was a bit lower. Fortunately, they kept it high for this live performance. Also because she had to introduce Anitta and everybody had to understand what she said.

48 minutes ago, martassak said:

Everybody was a total mess, it sounded like Madonna was lip-syncing when she wasn't. Bad Girl was better, but the backing vocals drowned the live ones out. 

I hope they release the concert worldwide and fix these issues, but knowing Madonna, the audio might only get worse! 😆

59 minutes ago, MCL_1993 said:

"You know, I didn't really have a say in that. I approached it in a similar fashion as Stuart did with the previous tours. I took a good rehearsal day and mixed the vocal stem with the soundboard from Argentina but we quickly ran into the issue of her being out of tune a lot during those shows. You need to understand that we were almost at the end of the tour and Madonna's voice wasn't getting enough rest during the south american dates. So, we decided to pitch her speaking voice up a little to mix better with the rehearsals. Then when the label reviewed it, Madonna's tour director requested a clean-up of all the instrumentals we recorded during filming of the footage in Buenos Aires. It was very unfortunate because after that clean-up, everything sounded more studio-esque, which apparently, Madonna aimed for. With our PA system, it was very easy to work on that tour because our sound was very consistent across the board. If we didn't run into issues with the venue or technical stuff screwing us over - which rarely happened, anyway- the show in Berlin would sound just as good as the show in Los Angeles, for instance. I also did a version of the soundboard using stems from shows in which she gave good vocal performances and played it to her but she didn't like it very much. So, at the end of the day, a more artificial sound was preferred over a more rough mix. Sadly, for the audience noise, I had to use stock recordings to get it right sometimes. "

It's a shame she rejected Kevin Antunes mix of S&S, opting instead for a fake-sounding studio-like version. 

I used to think he was the guilty one, since her previous tour have live vocals (I'm Going to Tell A Secret and Confessions Tour audio have some autotune, but they are very similar to the real thing). 

I think she's very insecure and she doesn't not believe in her voice.

Anyway, this audio is still better than MDNA/MX/S&S and RH audio. So I'm quite happy. And I wasn't expecting her to go full live on live TV

10 minutes ago, Lorx said:

😆

It's a shame she rejected Kevin Antunes mix of S&S, opting instead for a fake-sounding studio-like version. 

I used to think he was the guilty one, since her previous tour have live vocals (I'm Going to Tell A Secret and Confessions Tour audio have some autotune, but they are very similar to the real thing). 

Honey, I hope you realize that Kevin used the same method for SST as Stuart did for IGTTYAS and CT. With the rehearsal takes. It's just that Stuart did a way better job. Not much of the CT from London has actual London vocals which is - to this day - no big deal because it is a production masterpiece and Madonna knows damn well why she hired Stuart to skyrocket her career in the 2000s

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/05/arts/music/madonna-free-celebration-concert-rio-brazil.html

It was also something of a landmark moment for live concerts globally. At a time of astronomical ticket prices and rising production costs for major shows, a free concert attracting a crowd of this scale is exceedingly rare, especially in the United States. California’s Coachella festival, where a three-day general admission pass starts at about $500, draws up to 125,000 attendees a day. Musikfest, a mostly free music festival in Pennsylvania, welcomed about 1.3 million visitors over 11 days last year.

“To have a free show like that in recent years is relatively unheard-of,” Katelyn Yount, the director of festivals at AEG Presents, said of Madonna’s closing show.

Can't believe that after 16 years of wait, the dream to see her live in concert finally came true. It was beautiful, it was insane, it was magical and it was the best night of my life. I will never forget what I felt when the lights turned out and she appeared on that stage singing Nothing Really Matters, for a second I thought I was gonna faint. Even tho I was very far from the stage, because I was watching from the sidewalk in front of Copacabana Palace, it was a beautiful experience and one I will never forget. I can only thank Madonna for existing and for playing such a important role in my life and for fighting for us during these 40 years.

5 minutes ago, survivalartist said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/05/arts/music/madonna-free-celebration-concert-rio-brazil.html

It was also something of a landmark moment for live concerts globally. At a time of astronomical ticket prices and rising production costs for major shows, a free concert attracting a crowd of this scale is exceedingly rare, especially in the United States. California’s Coachella festival, where a three-day general admission pass starts at about $500, draws up to 125,000 attendees a day. Musikfest, a mostly free music festival in Pennsylvania, welcomed about 1.3 million visitors over 11 days last year.

“To have a free show like that in recent years is relatively unheard-of,” Katelyn Yount, the director of festivals at AEG Presents, said of Madonna’s closing show.

She's changing the game, once again.

And here's yet another hot take of mine but I LOVE this discussion and the show but OMG! The best camera work or live autotune in the world couldn't have saved Music. She rehearsed it so well and it seemed like she was preparing a significant tribute for Brazil but this was just atrocious. Nearly as bad as with Maluma in Medellin. 
oh meu deus!!!

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic