Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere

Bat-Fan

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArthurBadin

Like you pointed out, other artists (even more current ones) don't release live concerts and put in the details she does.

Live video releases were a thing until very end of 2011. In that year, we had seen a lot of them (Shakira Live in Paris, Adele Live at the Royal Albert Hall, Britney Spears' Femme fatale Tour, Kylie's Aphrodite Les Folies and Gaga's Monster Ball Tour, to name some).

Right after that, labels stopped thinking about it as a valuable product to hit stores, probably due to YouTube had started allowing very long length videos, as films and live concerts. Any fan with some know-how about edition felt free to develop and upload their own fanmade editions of full concert movies, some of them even better than the released ones, such as comprehensiveness and better angles and elements (just think about that notorious fanmade full footage from Britney's Femme Fatale Tour concert in Vegas, which got very notoriety by that time; people still have preferred that to the Toronto pro-shot officially released just for the sake of getting He About to Lose Me and Burning Up and some believe Britney's behaviour was better in that night when she wasn't supposed to be filmed - some fans think her behaviour on concerts when she's filmed is much more apathic and tense than in ordinary concerts).

For those who lived MDNA World Tour times, there were a lot of full-length fanmade editions of MDNA Tour concerts from all around the world (much like it happened to the officially filmed and released), prior to date when it premiered on EpixHD. All of them were suddenty removed from YouTube, for obvious reasons (i guess only two videos from full MDNA Tour concerts are still available on YT: a partial one from Barcelona and a full one from Rio, both in very poor image quality - of course they have needed to be uploaded that way, if not they would be removed as well). Since then those fanmade editions have never allowed to be reuploaded on YT. Being someone who watched one of those 2h fanmade editions, I can see they were miles better than this disgraceful live video release, which here in Brazil has even suffered from a worsened condition, as it shackles PC's like mine in all their printings).

Rihanna's Loud Tour Live in O2 Arena was another dissapointment in several terms, Judging by fans' reaction by those two live video releases (the only major ones after the pick in 2011 for a long time), we can see why labels aren't even more bothered to shoot live concerts (at least from pop music artists). So, we wouldn't wonder why those releases have become rarified since then.

I guess the question here (now exclusively regarding RHT) is the value of the broadcast X value of the live release. As we were able to see, RHT premiere had a very low rating, so it shown to the companies involved in it a very desistimulation by GPs part about that release. And now we have all the point @@Liam brought to the table: even with a low rating, even lower than On the Run Tour live in HBO, M's team decided to keep the DVD to be released (unlike that one we know, that one by Beyoncé and Jay-Z). The point is M's team (Madonna included of course) cares about giving that release. If it's the same as we've already seen on Showtime, only with some "goodies" (yeah, BBFC?), even so, we are winning. After Katy Perry's Prismatic World Tour, RHT is the first live release by a major pop artist, and that comes after almost a year after its predecessor. We are more than lucky by having this released. Of course we wanted something in the footsteps of U2's Innocence + Experience Tour, but, oh, Madonna is not U2 (despite having the same manager) and we all should understand it. Of course we can express our disappointment to Eagle Rock if we want (cause Madonna is now attached to another project and c'est fini Rebel Heart era for good, or does anybody doubt of this?), but if so, good luck.

I also guess we have no more "tidbits" from Eagle Rock (now it's just wait for the gradual campaign of promo and release, just like happened to every another M's release) cause BBFC spilt all the tea. (I really cannot doubt from a official government bureau, come on guys) So, things can be easily in suspension for the next 2 months and by mid August-early September then comes the further news.

Sorry for writing too much but sometimes it's necessary (isn't it?)  :smile:  :kissy:

Live video releases were a thing until very end of 2011. In that year, we had seen a lot of them (Shakira Live in Paris, Adele Live at the Royal Albert Hall, Britney Spears' Femme fatale Tour, Kylie's Aphrodite Les Folies and Gaga's Monster Ball Tour, to name some).

Right after that, labels stopped thinking about it as a valuable product to hit stores, probably due to YouTube had started allowing very long length videos, as films and live concerts. Any fan with some know-how about edition felt free to develop and upload their own fanmade editions of full concert movies, some of them even better than the released ones, such as comprehensiveness and better angles and elements (just think about that notorious fanmade full footage from Britney's Femme Fatale Tour concert in Vegas, which got very notoriety by that time; people still have preferred that to the Toronto pro-shot officially released just for the sake of getting He About to Lose Me and Burning Up and some believe Britney's behaviour was better in that night when she wasn't supposed to be filmed - some fans think her behaviour on concerts when she's filmed is much more apathic and tense than in ordinary concerts).

For those who lived MDNA World Tour times, there were a lot of full-length fanmade editions of MDNA Tour concerts from all around the world (much like it happened to the officially filmed and released), prior to date when it premiered on EpixHD. All of them were suddenty removed from YouTube, for obvious reasons (i guess only two videos from full MDNA Tour concerts are still available on YT: a partial one from Barcelona and a full one from Rio, both in very poor image quality - of course they have needed to be uploaded that way, if not they would be removed as well). Since then those fanmade editions have never allowed to be reuploaded on YT. Being someone who watched one of those 2h fanmade editions, I can see they were miles better than this disgraceful live video release, which here in Brazil has even suffered from a worsened condition, as it shackles PC's like mine in all their printings).

Rihanna's Loud Tour Live in O2 Arena was another dissapointment in several terms, Judging by fans' reaction by those two live video releases (the only major ones after the pick in 2011 for a long time), we can see why labels aren't even more bothered to shoot live concerts (at least from pop music artists). So, we wouldn't wonder why those releases have become rarified since then.

I guess the question here (now exclusively regarding RHT) is the value of the broadcast X value of the live release. As we were able to see, RHT premiere had a very low rating, so it shown to the companies involved in it a very desistimulation by GPs part about that release. And now we have all the point @@Liam brought to the table: even with a low rating, even lower than On the Run Tour live in HBO, M's team decided to keep the DVD to be released (unlike that one we know, that one by Beyoncé and Jay-Z). The point is M's team (Madonna included of course) cares about giving that release. If it's the same as we've already seen on Showtime, only with some "goodies" (yeah, BBFC?), even so, we are winning. After Katy Perry's Prismatic World Tour, RHT is the first live release by a major pop artist, and that comes after almost a year after its predecessor. We are more than lucky by having this released. Of course we wanted something in the footsteps of U2's Innocence + Experience Tour, but, oh, Madonna is not U2 (despite having the same manager) and we all should understand it. Of course we can express our disappointment to Eagle Rock if we want (cause Madonna is now attached to another project and c'est fini Rebel Heart era for good, or does anybody doubt of this?), but if so, good luck.

I also guess we have no more "tidbits" from Eagle Rock (now it's just wait for the gradual campaign of promo and release, just like happened to every another M's release) cause BBFC spilt all the tea. (I really cannot doubt from a official government bureau, come on guys) So, things can be easily in suspension for the next 2 months and by mid August-early September then comes the further news.

Sorry for writing too much but sometimes it's necessary (isn't it?)  :smile:  :kissy:

Nothing wrong with your lengthy reply. After all, we're just having a civil discussion. I appreciate those who can hold such a conversation without getting cheeky about one doing so.  :)

And I don't disagree with what you posted necessarily, but the thing is Madonna has never given us more than just the bare minimum. I totally understand the disappointment for some. And I understand how people will bring up U2 having the same management as Madonna, but I also know Madonna makes a lot of the big decisions. She says "no" to a lot of stuff.  Unfortunately, Guy gets the blame for that.  I mean; we all know Guy is very active in making a quick buck. There were plenty of times he talked her into doing things we are very grateful for and some we're not so grateful for. LOL!  So again, I do think the blame gets misplaced when much of the blame goes on Madonna regarding a lot of the decisions made that some fans take issue with.

We certainly have the right to be upset about certain things, but like mentioned some go overboard with their disappointment to the point they act like Madonna is "lazy" or treats her fans badly. Neither are true. And it's ridiculous to get that upset over these things which we have no control over. Madonna might not make some of the greatest decisions regarding her music, but it's pretty safe to say she's hardly suffering from it.  The woman is so famous that at this point, she's set for life. She could easily retire.  So I'm just grateful she's still making music because I have no interest in most of the films she Directs.  Not that I think she should not do it. It's her life. It's obvious something she wants to do. She's going to do it whether we like it or not. There will always be a base of fans and people in general who will be interested in that aspect of her career. Certainly, it will never compare to the interest and success of her music career, but it's her choice. It's her life.  I just enjoy what she's willing to share of it. :wink:

The thing with LDLHA is the copyrights.... :(

mmm but Fever is a cover and it was included on the GS DVD, Imagine is a cover and it was included on IGTTYAS DVD, Born This Way is a cover and it was included on MDNA Tour DVD, so why LDLHA no? it was a single and have a Video like Fever

All the boo-hooing about extras is a little tiresome, especially when every show is pretty much available to watch on YouTube.

How does Madonna compete with a superior product, unless it's a "film". Films are edited and manipulated to tell a story, otherwise it would've been broadcast live, no? Like U2 did with their Paris concert on HBO.

A concert not being reissued on a DVD, like Blond Ambition, doesn't mean it's not been officially released. WB and Madonna know this, that's why they printed in-house DVDs of the Laserdiscs, same with the virgin tour.

As far as the Info from the British site is concerned, wasn't it listed as soon as it was submitted? If that's the only official source for confirmation of the details of this release, then it could easily be resubmitted if there's a different edit or content... for the U.K. Market.

The TOAC footage could be amazingly edited, and tell a very different story that augments the lack of LDLHA in the RHT film.

When the facts about this release are confirmed, then we can bitch about what is or isn't there.

I saw the show live many times, and each show was different. The extra songs were perfect in the live medium (even Spanish Lesson) but seeing recordings on YouTube aren't really the spectacle (without the element of surprise) that they were live.

Could they be collected and placed into an "extra" section? Of course. But even they would be edited and most likely "fixed" with Auto-Tune, which would open another can of worms with fans.

For the record, I don't mind fixed vocals.

I don't mind aggressive edits, or a polished face. ...nor do I mind Madonna's vision to document her TOUR, because I think the past 2 tours have been less about a document of a definitive show, but the tour itself.

The argument could be about her own lack of respect for her legacy, but I disagree.

If you look at all of the shows next to each other,

You see a dynamic artist willing to bend the story of her past to tell a story that represents her present outlook on her art and life.

And that's why we still care and why we still go out our way to discuss such mundane complaints as a missing verse of a song, or a backdrop video featuring too heavily IN a song, but absent from the extras section on a DVD.

I still care because her music in part of my DNA at this point. Her music can tell every version of MY life story, from any angle I could choose to tell it.

And I love her for sharing her voice and outlook(s) on life with me.

If you look at it from a different place, you may find her to be the most generous artist. Ever.

mmm but Fever is a cover and it was included on the GS DVD, Imagine is a cover and it was included on IGTTYAS DVD, Born This Way is a cover and it was included on MDNA Tour DVD, so why LDLHA no? it was a single and have a Video like Fever

Fever wasn't produced by Nile Rodgers. His deal for producing the "Like A Virgin" album was retroactive to even include future sales from the "Madonna" album. It's a much bigger payout than "Fever", which has been covered by too many people to list. It's probably close to being a public domain song at this point.

I'm going to just throw my hat in to this deep discussion. And truly, some of this may not be what you want to hear. But the fact of the matter is, this release isn't going to be what we wanted. But honestly...would it ever be? If she gave us the full show, unedited, Tears of a Clown, a IGTTYAS length documentary on the tour, the most incredible artwork she's ever had, a full show on CD, etc. it still wouldn't be enough to suit everyone. The Rebel Heart era was something no one could have predicted. She gave a lot on the tour. She listened and played songs we wanted to hear, which weren't all necessarily what she wanted to play but she did. She took her show to places that never thought would see her. She didn't have to go into an unknown market like that but she did. She didn't have to create a special love letter to the fans with TOAC, a risky move for someone like her but she did. She didn't have to spend almost a year working on a film that she thought we would like but she did. I am in the same boat with you. I want LDLHA. I want Lucky Star. I want TOAC. But I also want M to be able to do something that makes her happy. I'm sure she's sick of getting bombarded with comments and questions about this release. And I'll bet you that she is so ready to move on from this and go on to something new. She is giving us what she feels she should. We may not always agree with her, but it's ultimately her choices. Very rarely does she steer us wrong. Sure, this is a bump. A big one, but a bump nonetheless. Deep down, we knew this wasn't going to be what we secretly hoped for. M has never been all that giving when it comes to her live releases. But she's, I'm sure, going to give us something special in the future. We may be frustrated with her now. We may be even a little angry with her now. But she always makes it better. I've done my fair share of whining, but I'm not going to anymore. We get what we get. I feel lucky we're getting anything. In March of last year, we were shitting ourselves thinking she wasn't going to film it. But she did. And we should be grateful for it. 34 years in, she doesn't have anything more to prove. But she's still trying. We may not feel like she's trying hard enough...but she's trying. And for those reasons, I'll gladly buy this release and be happy with it. She. Always. Makes. It. Better. Whatever "terrible" thing she hands down, she always makes up for in the future. 

She listened and played songs we wanted to hear, which weren't all necessarily what she wanted to play but she did.

Ironically to me even with all the "surprise songs" this tour was the one where she simply gave up and just did album versions of the same songs she's been doing forever: Holiday, Like A Virgin, La Isla Bonita, Music...

I don't think Madonna cares about art most of the time, for her the tour is to make her new music to be heard and earn money, it's not like she would gain much from listening to the fans regarding the release. At this point I'm not sure why anyone expects otherwise, when she could simply semi-retire and do smaller tours once in a while with the same stuff like how Cher or Tina Turner used to do it.

Guest ArthurBadin

@@Liam, thanks for your affection. I really appreciate it.  :kissy:

Anyway, we'll have the DVD. Period. Whether it doesn't feature LS, LDLHA, HP, TAB (I'm listening TAB on radio right now, lol), etc., etc., it's not a thing to be concerned. Madonna and Eagle Rock maybe thought a circa 2h length concert film is more than enough for anyone to watch. Their ultimate thought is that if someone is disappointed, then go to YouTube and watch @@ErickInTheZone's full edition.

After all, we'll have the 15min edited TOAC1 the way Madonna wants to be presented. If it's focused on her jokes instead of the songs, it's a choice of hers. Same with the cuts done in the RHT film. If she felt the need to cut LDLHA, maybe those 1h30min of the song were pretty disposable and she preferred to include a more comprehensible edit for UB. Probably it has nothing to do with copyrights since this song is still present on the film and for sure will be credited on booklet. It was a decision of hers. Maybe she thinks about presenting the entire song on a latter tour, who knows? Or she felt herself awful when performing it, no matter how much we fans loved it and thought it was very close to her original recorded vocals.

The question is: she's now on another project. Now, concerning to her work, LOVED is all that matters. The moment she finished editing the extras and delivered all content to Eagle Rock she was done with that. I truly believe she'd already buried the concert film the moment she delivered it to Showtime. After all, she's "still very proud of it", isn't she? So she decided to focus on the "goodies" and that's it. I guess there's a lot of time in selecting the final 15min to present from a rough assembly of 2h. The same should go for choosing the extra song to present. I mean, the "extra song", not in plural. I believe it was a calculated decision of hers to choose only one song from several anothers performed in that part of concert given most of them were subpar renditions, very candid and full of flaws. We have the tendency to think every single of them was perfect, but M, as said before, is a true perfectionist and very aware of what present to her viewers. TAB wasn't perfect, nor WTG, nor Secret, nor DTM, and even Ghosttown neither. The best song performed on that occasion was LAP - hence the choice of including it as an extra.

So I understand every single choice of hers for this release and, unlike I intended to say, I'm not disappointed with it. I think it's just fine and the ultimate desire of both Madonna and Eagle Rock. If someone changes during the following months I'll be satisfied likewise. I know exactly what I have to expect from M after all those years. Of course I was very surprised and pleased with Secret, TAB etc., but I get those songs weren't enough material for an official register, to be immortalized for years and years after the tour was gone.

Otherwise, for those who complain, I suggest over and over go to Eagle Rock's contact channels and make their voices public. And for those who still believe BBFC is not a source cause it's a local bureau, the info was given too much in advance etc., just think: when M delivered a different live video release for different countries? (Of course I'm not telling of releases such as the Japanese-only RHT tour edition DVD which wasn't even a live video one.) It would be such an injustice of hers, wouldn't it?

Ok, again there were Japanese-only releases for WTGT and BAT, but they were ones with different footage caught on Japan and both released months before the worldiwde versions. So they don't count again to my point. It's not the RHT case.

So, back to cave again  :smile:

but nobody is broadcasting it

Actually there have been a few broadcasts since Showtimes, so that's not accurate to say. Also, they are still selling it to be broadcasted.  And the thing is; there are legalities involved (that no one knows about, but Madonna and her camp) that most likely is in play regarding how long between broadcast rights and releasing the DVD.  I do agree it seems longer than usual, but we're all going to buy it no matter when it's release.  Some people need to have some patience.  And I'm not all too convinced that British site source is entirely correct about the contents of the DVD. Also, people are getting bent out of shape over the artwork when the artist who provided the poster, said that it's not the cover art.

I truly believe she'd already buried the concert film the moment she delivered it to Showtime.

@  

Again, enjoyed reading your post.  Regarding this quote, Madonna was still editing the DVD after Showtime presented it.  She made a reference to doing so in an Instagram post, sometime earlier this year.  Though I think it was more in reference of the "exreas". But I agree that at this point it's done.  We really don't know officially what the DVD all has, so many are complaining about things they have no idea about.  :)

Actually there have been a few broadcasts since Showtimes, so that's not accurate to say. Also, they are still selling it to be broadcasted. And the thing is; there are legalities involved (that no one knows about, but Madonna and her camp) that most likely is in play regarding how long between broadcast rights and releasing the DVD. I do agree it seems longer than usual, but we're all going to buy it no matter when it's release. Some people need to have some patience. And I'm not all too convinced that British site source is entirely correct about the contents of the DVD. Also, people are getting bent out of shape over the artwork when the artist who provided the poster, said that it's not the cover art.

@

Again, enjoyed reading your post. Regarding this quote, Madonna was still editing the DVD after Showtime presented it. She made a reference to doing so in an Instagram post, sometime earlier this year. Though I think it was more in reference of the "exreas". But I agree that at this point it's done. We really don't know officially what the DVD all has, so many are complaining about things they have no idea about. :)

where has it been broadcasted beside australia

where has it been broadcasted beside australia

Well, you just answered your own question.  And did you forget SHOWTIME??  LOL!  Also, as mentioned, it's currently being sold to be streamed and broadcasted.  Showtime still is broadcasting and streaming it and has the rights to it until the end of the year. Not only that, it's scheduled to be broadcasted June 21st, on French TV Channel NRJ Hits.  Australia broadcasted it as you stated. Canada broadcasted it on The Movie Network and streamed it on CraveTV. If I recall, it was (supposed to be) broadcasted in Japan back in February.  It was planned to be purchased and broadcasted by Dutch TV, but it fell through.  The point is; it's still being broadcasted and shopped around.  I'm sure that has a lot to do with why the DVD hasn't been released yet. 

and this is the answer. thank you.

You're welcome. And I understand why some are eager for the release, but some need to consider that there are legalities behind broadcasting and streaming.  Why would they bother to broadcast or stream it, if people are able to purchase it either physically or through a digital outlet?  I totally understand people are eager to get their hands on the DVD, but it's obvious Madonna is trying to make as much money from broadcasting and streaming before releasing the DVD.  Would you blame her, knowing the state of physical sales of DVD's and albums??

Well, you just answered your own question.  And did you forget SHOWTIME??  LOL!  Also, as mentioned, it's currently being sold to be streamed and broadcasted.  Showtime still is broadcasting and streaming it and has the rights to it until the end of the year. Not only that, it's scheduled to be broadcasted June 21st, on French TV Channel NRJ Hits.  Australia broadcasted it as you stated. Canada broadcasted it on The Movie Network and streamed it on CraveTV. If I recall, it was (supposed to be) broadcasted in Japan back in February.  It was planned to be purchased and broadcasted by Dutch TV, but it fell through.  The point is; it's still being broadcasted and shopped around.  I'm sure that has a lot to do with why the DVD hasn't been released yet. 

It's been broadcasted in Spain too.

• madgefan changed the title to Rebel Heart Tour DVD | Showtime Premiere
  • madgefan pinned, pinned, pinned and pinned this topic
  • madgefan pinned this topic