Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW

New_Boy

8 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Very true, the strategy with M is really good - Kylie's catalogue on streaming is a bloody mess worldwide - and at the moment is not done very strategically. 

This!  Thank you.  Nothing is going to be perfect for any artist as all fan bases find something to complain about.  It is what it is.  And it seems that currently Madonna's team is really working hard in trying to get her catalog up on digital and streaming platforms, but it's never enough for some as they expect songs or mixes that never were officially available as well.  While it's nice to get the unexpected remix whether it's commercial or promo, but nothing has ever been promised.   

1 minute ago, tscott said:

This!  Thank you.  Nothing is going to be perfect for any artist as all fan bases find something to complain about.  It is what it is.  And it seems that currently Madonna's team is really working hard in trying to get her catalog up on digital and streaming platforms, but it's never enough for some as they expect songs or mixes that never were officially available as well.  While it's nice to get the unexpected remix whether it's commercial or promo, but nothing has ever been promised.   

Yes it's a big piece of work - what was on itunes from 2005 onwards was put on spotify 'as is' so it's not just adding new stuff, there is a lot of work to link songs and tidy everything up and that will take time. Plus do we really want it all dumped at once onto digital. I like having things to look forward to

32 minutes ago, tscott said:

No one is dragging their feet on anything.  You and some others are being impatient and unrealistic.   Not that I don't blame you, but it's driving some to get a bit too dramatic over it as @GregVsMattpointed out.  I was going through Michael Jackson's digital catalog and his youtube channel.  Do you realize that he only has two 4K videos and the rest of his videos are still at 480 p?  "Beat it" and " Thriller" are the only two in High Definition and remarkably in 4K.  He's the King of Pop and a lot of his songs, remixes, demos aren't available on streaming and digital platfotms.  No other artist with a catalog as extensive as Madonna, has all their music on digital and streaming platforms.  This is going to take some time, and we have to remember too much at one time and be overkill.  Many of these mixes going up now are definitely not getting much attention, but from the hardcore fans.  These releases need some air in between.  Just sit back and enjoy.  And if you're really a hardcore fan, I'm sure you can build your own digital catalog as there are plenty of sources to obtain all these official mixes along with many promotion mixes along with fan mixes.

I was really surprised a lot of MJ singles with remixes and extended versions are not on streaming. His fans are very vocal and make youtube videos about how his estate is mismanaging the digital and physical releases, the music videos and the merch 

5 minutes ago, tscott said:

Exactly. Nothing ever is... just perfect:

Hehehe.

10 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

Yes it's a big piece of work - what was on itunes from 2005 onwards was put on spotify 'as is' so it's not just adding new stuff, there is a lot of work to link songs and tidy everything up and that will take time. Plus do we really want it all dumped at once onto digital. I like having things to look forward to

Exactly.  As mentioned, a lot of these remixes being added are hardly getting much attention.  Unfortunately, she isn't the most sought out artist these days.  But adding new remixes every week can become overkill for an artist.  That was an issue even early in her career, such as 1985, where many new songs were released.  Fortunately, it worked out for her, but at the same time, that overkill probably didn't help the promotion of LAV album when songs like Angel and Dress You Up were over shadowed by Crazy for You and Into the Groove.

7 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

Me too! It's like a a brand new release each time - something to look forward to, get excited about and stream! I mean, I do wish, for some that we did get some of the other promo mixes - but it's still great to get these on streaming!

3 minutes ago, Jackie said:

Me too! It's like a a brand new release each time - something to look forward to, get excited about and stream! I mean, I do wish, for some that we did get some of the other promo mixes - but it's still great to get these on streaming!

Exactly.

But when we get EP’s like Bedtime Story and Frozen, it shows us that they can easily add most of the versions out there and so when they just throw up a UK or US single missing several mixes, it can be a bit disappointing.

Some other fans here are acting like people are going ape shit over the lack of ‘every promo mix’ when that’s not when anyone has been saying. :)

13 minutes ago, BuggedOut said:

Exactly.

But when we get EP’s like Bedtime Story and Frozen, it shows us that they can easily add most of the versions out there and so when they just throw up a UK or US single missing several mixes, it can be a bit disappointing.

Some other fans here are acting like people are going ape shit over the lack of ‘every promo mix’ when that’s not when anyone has been saying. :)

Oh no there are actually people here who go ape shit when a promo edit, dub or mix is not included, people who likely don't own the original promo 12" or promo CD but do have them for free from the internet but are somehow still owed that mix on streaming lol

39 minutes ago, GregVsMatt said:

I was really surprised a lot of MJ singles with remixes and extended versions are not on streaming. His fans are very vocal and make youtube videos about how his estate is mismanaging the digital and physical releases, the music videos and the merch 

Same here.  I had been browsing Youtube and came across his Thriller video which is in 4K, but then when I checked the rest of his catalog, noticed nothing is in HD, other than Beat It  and Thriller in 4K.  I was surprised being he's revered as the "King of Pop".  Then I checked his catalog on Spotify and noticed that not all his songs and remixes are available among his digital and streaming.  I would think being he's been deceased for over a decade, more would be available. So I checked Elvis's catalog on digital and streaming platforms and not all of his work is available either.  While I'm a champion in getting all of Madonna's catalog on streaming and digital platforms, it just seems unrealistic to expect everything to be available, including non-commercial releases.  I assume there are a lot of things that factor in why artists like Madonna, Elvis and Michael Jackson aren't available as much as we think. I'm sure the same goes for artists like The Beatles and Prince.  I don't think of it as it's that "easy" to make things available, due to licenses and copyrights and record company agreements play into the factor.  Just because one or two singles got an abundances of releases, doesn't mean it's as easy for others, for whatever reason fans may not understand.  The music industry can be quite difficult and what is released is never as easy as some may think especially on digital and streaming platforms since there are many legalities that have to be considered.  I never believe Madonna is completely behind what is released because she even is restricted in what is released from her own work.  Copyrights and licenses can be a pain in the ass for a lot of artists.

3 hours ago, MPowered said:

Kylie Minogue and Mariah Carey say otherwise…and they are not even close to being as big as Madonna.

But even they have caveats.  Kylie's Deconstruction era (self titled and Impossible Princess) are missing their singles, and Mariah's Glitter singles were never released with MC30 :(

I'm lamenting the fact that I'll never get the David Morales Classic Radio of Mariah's Honey despite that being a jam packed EP filled with most of the remixes available for that song.

Edited by luckypierre78 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, MadonnaDave said:

The much hyped back catalogue deal with Warner Music has been very underwhelming so far. They can’t even pull their finger out and put our vinyl/CD collections on streaming, let alone give us something a bit extra like previously unreleased tracks. We still haven’t even got Ain’t No Big Deal, Let Down Your Guard and Cyber-Raga on streaming yet. 

I have a feeling Cyber-Raga will be on streaming when the Don't Tell Me remixes are released.

3 hours ago, luckypierre78 said:

But even they have caveats.  Kylie's Deconstruction era (self titled and Impossible Princess) are missing their singles, and Mariah's Glitter singles were never released with MC30 :(

I'm lamenting the fact that I'll never get the David Morales Classic Radio of Mariah's Honey despite that being a jam packed EP filled with most of the remixes available for that song.

Where was there a Classic Radio of Honey released at? I don’t see one anywhere.

Glitter was a soundtrack.

14 hours ago, tscott said:

Same here.  I had been browsing Youtube and came across his Thriller video which is in 4K, but then when I checked the rest of his catalog, noticed nothing is in HD, other than Beat It  and Thriller in 4K.  I was surprised being he's revered as the "King of Pop".  Then I checked his catalog on Spotify and noticed that not all his songs and remixes are available among his digital and streaming.  I would think being he's been deceased for over a decade, more would be available. So I checked Elvis's catalog on digital and streaming platforms and not all of his work is available either.  While I'm a champion in getting all of Madonna's catalog on streaming and digital platforms, it just seems unrealistic to expect everything to be available, including non-commercial releases.  I assume there are a lot of things that factor in why artists like Madonna, Elvis and Michael Jackson aren't available as much as we think. I'm sure the same goes for artists like The Beatles and Prince.  I don't think of it as it's that "easy" to make things available, due to licenses and copyrights and record company agreements play into the factor.  Just because one or two singles got an abundances of releases, doesn't mean it's as easy for others, for whatever reason fans may not understand.  The music industry can be quite difficult and what is released is never as easy as some may think especially on digital and streaming platforms since there are many legalities that have to be considered.  I never believe Madonna is completely behind what is released because she even is restricted in what is released from her own work.  Copyrights and licenses can be a pain in the ass for a lot of artists.

That is a very good point. Maybe these individual remixers have to be contacted and factored into new agreements for each of these releases and agree to new terms? Perhaps it is more complicated than we realise.

And some of this stuff is literally obscure remixes released only on promo vinyl so we don’t even know if it all exists in digital form anymore. Perhaps some stuff could have been misplaced , deleted , tapes recorded over etc. We have heard stories of those things with tv footage, films and what not, maybe music labels are the same ?

6 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

That is a very good point. Maybe these individual remixers have to be contacted and factored into new agreements for each of these releases and agree to new terms? Perhaps it is more complicated than we realise.

And some of this stuff is literally obscure remixes released only on promo vinyl so we don’t even know if it all exists in digital form anymore. Perhaps some stuff could have been misplaced , deleted , tapes recorded over etc. We have heard stories of those things with tv footage, films and what not, maybe music labels are the same ?

The Beatles released 3 double disc albums of alternate takes and demos. Prince Estate is slowly rolling out the alleged treasure trove of material. 

I guess it goes back to the question I asked in another thread: What is the essential purpose of "Promotional Content"? Does it expire? If the people that are given/distributed the "Promotional Content" do not like it/promote it - does that make it obsolete? There was a time the "industry" treated promos like the holy grail or "key to the city" for up and coming talent but the internet has definitely ruined that/changed the hands of the "taste makers". 

Buenos Aires remixes have entered the chat. 

12 hours ago, luckypierre78 said:

Mariah's Glitter singles were never released with MC30 :(

One of my favorite remixers period is MJ Cole and both of his remixes of Loverboy should be on streaming. Epic fail. He has done several high profile remixes in the pre-streaming era that just aren't on streaming, so frustrating. 

22 hours ago, BuggedOut said:

Glitter was a soundtrack.

The Glitter Soundtrack was entirely Mariah Carey and had four singles (five if you count Never Too Far as a separate single from the Never Too Far/Hero Medley which was a separate release that had some cheesy but fun Al B Rich mixes and another set by Mike Rizzo).  The other releases were Loverboy, Don't Stop (Funkin' For Jamaica), and Reflections (Care Enough).

The Honey Classic Radio and Classic Radio Instrumental were sadly never released commercially.  Some other mixes that were commercially released but missed by the MC30 campaign are I Stay In Love (Jody Den Broeder Club Mix), the Jump Smokers and Jermaine Dupri mixes of You're Mine (Eternal), the Soda Club mixes of Through The Rain released via DMC in Europe, the Reggae Soul remixes of Always Be My Baby... I could keep going.

23 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

Is the soundtrack vs studio album argument a thing for lambs as well?

I'm pretty sure they consider it to be both at the same time (even the wikipedia article says its both a soundtrack and her eight studio album), although a lot of people want to pretend the movie that it's for never existed lol.  Maybe the difference between Glitter and I'm Breathless is that there aren't any "inspired by" songs exclusive to the album?  

The Glitter soundtrack was also notable as a studio album because it was the first released under a new $100 million deal with Virgin for five albums.  The album bombed and Virgin cancelled her contract which ended in lawsuits and Mariah signing a new contract with Island Records.  I think the fact that Glitter was released under the Virgin label and all the legal drama is why those singles will not get to streaming any time soon, if ever.

1 hour ago, luckypierre78 said:

The Glitter Soundtrack was entirely Mariah Carey and had four singles (five if you count Never Too Far as a separate single from the Never Too Far/Hero Medley which was a separate release that had some cheesy but fun Al B Rich mixes and another set by Mike Rizzo).  The other releases were Loverboy, Don't Stop (Funkin' For Jamaica), and Reflections (Care Enough).

The Honey Classic Radio and Classic Radio Instrumental were sadly never released commercially.  Some other mixes that were commercially released but missed by the MC30 campaign are I Stay In Love (Jody Den Broeder Club Mix), the Jump Smokers and Jermaine Dupri mixes of You're Mine (Eternal), the Soda Club mixes of Through The Rain released via DMC in Europe, the Reggae Soul remixes of Always Be My Baby... I could keep going.

There is no Classic Radio of Honey.

Ive only ever complained about officially released versions of tracks not being included on the M EP’s.

3 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

I thought this thread was about Madonna's single releases, not fucking Mariah Carey 

Analysis and comparisons of different artists release strategies for their back catalogues in comparison to M's.  At least there's something to talk about while we wait for the next release.  I hope they're not holding things back for that Rauhofer vinyl RSD release, granted that does look interesting.

4 hours ago, JustinTimes said:

I thought this thread was about Madonna's single releases, not fucking Mariah Carey 

This is Mariah Infinity now.

Any news yet on that Charmbracelet anniversary boxset Mariah has been personally curating for 3 years?

@ScottyX might know .

• Jackie changed the title to Single Reissues Campaign - Angel - OUT NOW