MADONNA AND WARNER MUSIC GROUP ANNOUNCE MILESTONE, CAREER-SPANNING PARTNERSHIP!!

Shoful

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Prayer

I always had the impression that she was sold by Guy O and maybe Interscope as well the idea of "radios don't want to play you anymore cause they say you're old!" when radios were actually playing her only three years before and she was "old" already then. But it was very convenient to have that excuse, right?

But was it an excuse?  I really find a lot of truth behind the fact when you get to a certain age top 40 doesn't play you, unless under certain circumstances. 

What I think is the worst is that if they announce a sub-par reissue with like 2 remixes in the following months… I don’t think they’ll be able to pull it off. They could kinda do it now being “forced” to reissue it as an anniversary edition, but what would be the point to randomly re-release it AFTER the anniversary?

I hope what they plan to release (assuming the Warner deal is still on, and something will be announced #soon) is worth the wait. Otherwise this is a massive fuck up on Their part. 

I really do hope we get something massive :(

(btw I’m still bitter she’s not coming to South America for the tour)

15 hours ago, tscott said:

I do understand your disappointment.  I agree it seems to be a missed opportunity to not at least have announced pre-orders for a re-issued expanded set of the debut album.  Who knows when it will be , but I'm also thinking there might be more to come in the coming weeks. I guess we'll have to continue to wait and see.  It's pretty likely we'll get a re-issue before the year is out. :)

Wait! What? 

Haven't we agreed you belong to our "constant compliant party" if nothing happens on July, 27th?

So stop defending this Warner deal and that something happens in weeks, in autumn, in winter, in next century.. They tremendously missed the biggest celebration of her career (at least for next 10 years), so jump on the hate train with us, finally :smokey:

1 minute ago, HC Charge said:

Wait! What? 

Haven't we agreed you belong to our "constant compliant party" if nothing happens on July, 27th?

So stop defending this Warner deal and that something happens in weeks, in autumn, in winter, in next century.. They tremendously missed the biggest celebration of her career (at least for next 10 years), so jump on the hate train with us, finally :smokey:

:ahh: I'm always keeping the faith! 

7 hours ago, tscott said:

@Prayer

But was it an excuse?  I really find a lot of truth behind the fact when you get to a certain age top 40 doesn't play you, unless under certain circumstances. 

But she was played from 1998 to 2009. It's true it got harder and harder after "AL", though. And even in the 10s she got respectable Top 40 Adult radio hits in the US.

In the end I guess it's a combination of a lot of things, not only one.

On 7/29/2023 at 3:43 PM, Prayer said:

3) I posted an interview with Madonna saying from her own mouth the label rejected the double sided album idea, but you keep bringing out a Guy O tweet. OK.

I literally said this in my initial post lmao! The label had to reject it because of the 6 track pre-order, as stated by Guy. I don’t know why you continue to believe opinions rather than facts.

35 minutes ago, deathproof said:

I literally said this in my initial post lmao! The label had to reject it because of the 6 track pre-order, as stated by Guy. I don’t know why you continue to believe opinions rather than facts.

Where is that Guy O tweet you keep mention stating that, anyway? Cause the only one I found about it was this one:

And this is the full transcript of his Twitter Q&A session that day:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:bhST_aN5m6sJ:https://madonnaunderground.com/full-qa-with-guy-oseary-on-twitter-with-fans-last-night-regarding-rebel-heart-release/&hl=es&gl=es&strip=1&vwsrc=0

Nothing about the double album rejected by the label because of the leaks and the 6-tracks advance. He only said the original April 2015 release was moved to March because of the leaks.

You connected those dots in your mind (opinion, not fact) but no one told explicitly that.

The only explicit words about the double album concept being rejected by the label are from Madonna, here:

"So I wanted to have two different sides: all of the songs that would more romantic and vulnerable would be in one and the others would be on the other, like "Unapologetic Bitch" and "Bitch I'm Madonna". And then my record company didn't think that was a good idea so we ended up... they... kind of all mixed up in one big soup".

Fact, not opinion, and from the horse's mouth.

34 minutes ago, deathproof said:

So billboard isn’t a credible source? https://www.billboard.com/pro/madonna-interscope-exit/

She completed her three albums deal with Interscope with "Madame X" and that's what the article is about. From that moment she was free and found again a new contract, this time coming back to Warner, announced in 2021.

But the exclusively licensed periods for the 3 Interscope albums haven't ended yet. The 2021 press release stated that:

https://www.madonna.com/news/title/madonna-and-warner-music-group-announce-milestone--career-spanning-partnership

It also includes her three most recent studio albums, MDNA, Rebel Heart, and Madame X, which will join the Warner catalog beginning in 2025

Those three albums and everything related to them (demos, live albums) are still licensed to Interscope and won't be passed on to Warner until 2025.

Again: even "Back That Up To The Beat" had to be released under Interscope last December, cause it's still under the "Rebel Heart" exclusive license to them until it expires:

back.png

I don't know how to explain it in an easier way now, really. But it's as easy as checking the copyright info on digital platforms... as soon as labels change that info is changed too, obviously. If "MDNA" is Warner from 2025, the current version will be taken down and then re-uploaded with Warner copyright from that moment.

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

She completed her three albums deal with Interscope with "Madame X" and that's what the article is about. From that moment she was free and found again a new contract, this time coming back to Warner, announced in 2021.

But the exclusively licensed periods for the 3 Interscope albums hasn't ended yet. The 2021 press release stated that:

https://www.madonna.com/news/title/madonna-and-warner-music-group-announce-milestone--career-spanning-partnership

It also includes her three most recent studio albums, MDNA, Rebel Heart, and Madame X, which will join the Warner catalog beginning in 2025

Those albums are still licensed to Interscope and won't be passed on to Warner until 2025.

Again: even "Back That Up To The Beat" had to be released under Interscope last December, cause it's still under the "Rebel Heart" exclusive license to them until it expires:

back.png

I don't know how to explain it in an easier way now, really. But it's as easy as checking the copyright info on digital platforms... as soon as labels change that info is changed too, obviously. If "MDNA" is Warner from 2025, the current version will be taken down and then re-uploaded with Warner copyright from that moment.

Thanks for posting all this.  This is how I remember how it all went down as well.   Always great to have a fact checker among us!  Otherwise, some will come up with their own narrative. :)

2 hours ago, Diieeego said:

Is that relevant in some form? I am not being cynical, I honestly don’t know what does it mean and if we should be exited?

yes

In the United States, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) awards certification based on the number of albums and singles sold through retail and other markets Other countries have similar awards. Certification is not automatic; for an award to be made, the record label must first request certification.

2 hours ago, Diieeego said:

Is that relevant in some form? I am not being cynical, I honestly don’t know what does it mean and if we should be exited?

It is, for marketing and historic terms. Those are always good for press and hype (and fans love them, of course). Example for a "Madonna" reissue: "The 5 times Platinum album is being reissued with bonus tracks and...."

But as @Brendanlovesu1certifications cost money, so Warner completely forgot about Madonna's ones when she left them in 2009. Now she's back they've got a lot of work to catch up.

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) recently updated the Immacluate Collection's certification in the U.S. to 11x platinum when the Dolby Atmos Mix was released in May this year

https://www.madonna.com/news/title/the-immaculate-collection-now-available-in-dolby-atmos

7 hours ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) recently updated the Immacluate Collection's certification in the U.S. to 11x platinum when the Dolby Atmos Mix was released in May this year

https://www.madonna.com/news/title/the-immaculate-collection-now-available-in-dolby-atmos

Exactly. So it’s absolutely feasible that *if* more reissues are coming, they’ll do the same thing.