The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)

Shoful

19 hours ago, Future Lover said:

Those days are gone and they will never, ever return. Not just for Madonna but period. Singing over a backing track has become the industry standard in every genre of music.

It's here to stay. I'm sorry for anyone who wants just pure live vocals, but unless you're seeing a smaller artist in a club, it's just never going to be what you get when you pay for a ticket anymore. 

This is not entirely true... yes, a lot of artists do it, especially for the faster dance songs with layered vocals, but performers who are known for their vocals are still doing real live vocals, especially for the ballads and pop songs without many vocal layers... Pop stars like Beyoncé and Gaga have an occasional dance song with a backing track, but still perform with full live vocals for a large portion of the show.

24 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

I thought backing tracks were used too because sometimes ( even Madonna ) artists forget the words - even with in ear monitors with playback or cue words ?

Nah. They’re there to enhance the sound of a performance… just like backing singers.

If anything a backing track is worse when forgetting words as it makes it look as if the artist is miming. 

5 hours ago, scion said:

Yeah it just doesn’t work. It makes sense when the song needs multi-harmonied backing vocals. Get Together on CT for example worked really well with very heavy backing vocals off the track, but Rebel Heart just sounded silly in concert because of the extreme double tracking. Same with Deeper and Deeper. If a performance is going to have a backing track equal in volume or even louder than the live vocal, why bother singing in the performance at all. Devil Pray in Manchester literally sounded like the CD being played, and I was sat by the sound desk so it was obviously the desired effect.

I soo agree! Although people keep saying that her voice was perfect in MXT, I think we only heard backing tracks. The only live section was the preshow. When she sang live Dark Ballet at the Met Gala and in Harlem, we had a totally different (and imo more heartfelt) performance.

22 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

You are probably confusing her with Bea Akerlund that can be a huge miss. Arianne worked on every tour from Drowned World to Rebel Heart and 95% of the times the work was amazing. Same for the styling of her albums (Ray Of Light, Music, American Life, Confessions, MDNA, Rebel Heart). 

Nope, there is no confusion here. It's my personal taste that Arianne's stying is dated....while I quite like Bea, more out there and "now"

5 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

I thought backing tracks were used too because sometimes ( even Madonna ) artists forget the words - even with in ear monitors with playback or cue words ?

There was an ear monitor audio from Rebel Heart tour available some time ago, and you can hear a person giving lyric cues to Madonna every 10 to 20 seconds, it's really interesting.

Also, artists often have a screen with lyrics in front of the stage, like for Karaoke. I just attended Beyoncé's show the other day, and she had a huge screen with lyrics rolling all the time.

Just now, androiduser said:

There was an ear monitor audio from Rebel Heart tour available some time ago, and you can hear a person giving lyric cues to Madonna every 10 to 20 seconds, it's really interesting.

Even then Madonna messes up the lyrics all the time. Only hardcore fans notice. It took her a very long time to give one performance of Ghosttown where she sang all the correct lyrics. At my Madame X show she messed up Batuka and Crazy. She even stopped and laughed for a second when she did it during Batuka. 

2 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Also, artists often have a screen with lyrics in front of the stage, like for Karaoke. I just attended Beyoncé's show the other day, and she had a huge screen with lyrics rolling all the time.

I've never seen this, but it sounds SO ridiculous. Like, come on.

3 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

I've never seen this, but it sounds SO ridiculous. Like, come on.

some songs from the new album have sooo much text, some feature really long parts of fast singing/talking and even with the lyrics on the screen she still misses some parts.

Just because Madonna doesn't use this doesn't mean it's ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Whatever you think of Barbra Streisand, she is one of those artists who sings with a monitor showing her lyrics.  She has no issue in admitting she can't remember all her lyrics to all her songs. While I'm hardly a fan of Barbra's, there are plenty of artists who I am a fan of who have issues remember their lyrics.  It's quite common.  It's so easy to sit here and criticize entertainers for their faults, but can you get up on stage and do what they do?  Maybe you'll say then maybe they shouldn't if they can't remember their own lyrics.  But there is so much more to being an entertainer than remembering one's lines or lyrics. It certainly helps to do so, but it still doesn't negate how great one is as a singer or an actor who can't remember their lines.  Just remember the next time you criticize someone for what they can't do, but still have achieved way more than you have. If you can do what they do, better than they can, then let's see the receipts!  Otherwise, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge or make fun of them.

4 minutes ago, tscott said:

Whatever you think of Barbra Streisand, she is one of those artists who sings with a monitor showing her lyrics.  She has no issue in admitting she can't remember all her lyrics to all her songs. While I'm hardly a fan of Barbra's, there are plenty of artists who I am a fan of who have issues remember their lyrics.  It's quite common.  It's so easy to sit here and criticize entertainers for their faults, but can you get up on stage and do what they do?  Maybe you'll say then maybe they shouldn't if they can't remember their own lyrics.  But there is so much more to being an entertainer than remembering one's lines or lyrics. It certainly helps to do so, but it still doesn't negate how great one is as a singer or an actor who can't remember their lines.  Just remember the next time you criticize someone for what they can't do, but still have achieved way more than you have. If you can do what they do, better than they can, then let's see the receipts!  Otherwise, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge or make fun of them.

why are you directing this at me? I just mentioned one of the methods artists use to keep track of the correct lyrics. It's perfectly normal to forget a line, make a mistake or just have a blank moment and not sure what line comes next. Especially for fast songs with a ton of lines like Beyonce's new material.

Talk about being too quick to judge :eyes::laughing:

5 hours ago, androiduser said:

this recording is amazing. The amount of information given is crazy. Between the lyrics + the indications for the choreography, it's incredible that she still manages to act naturally.

16 hours ago, Enrico said:

I soo agree! Although people keep saying that her voice was perfect in MXT, I think we only heard backing tracks. The only live section was the preshow. When she sang live Dark Ballet at the Met Gala and in Harlem, we had a totally different (and imo more heartfelt) performance.

Honestly the pre-show sounded like it was pre-recorded. Lol 

10 hours ago, mouse said:

this recording is amazing. The amount of information given is crazy. Between the lyrics + the indications for the choreography, it's incredible that she still manages to act naturally.

I have a friend who works in show business and was impressed by her doing this on how to follow this many instructions and give a show like this. For me it was super interesting but didn’t imagine the degree of difficulty 

I'm not watching this. That she can't dance well anymore and that her classics are always ruined by bad musicians and that the footage is always hacked to pieces (shots changing so fast that you can barely follow what is going on) is bad enough, but she also looks terrible after the plastic surgery. Noticed it in Madame X, and it's worse now. She would have looked okay if she had just let herself age normally. Not like the showgirl she sold herself as when she was still young, but okay. 

15 minutes ago, Warm Gun said:

I'm not watching this. That she can't dance well anymore and that her classics are always ruined by bad musicians and that the footage is always hacked to pieces (shots changing so fast that you can barely follow what is going on) is bad enough, but she also looks terrible after the plastic surgery. Noticed it in Madame X, and it's worse now. She would have looked okay if she had just let herself age normally. Not like the showgirl she sold herself as when she was still young, but okay. 

Thank you for your relevant contribution to this thread. :thumbsup:

• RUADJAI changed the title to The Celebration Tour (No Spoilers)
  • RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
  • meeshell featured this topic